The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

Can you name one other club that would turn down Manuel Pellegrini in favour of Claude Puel? It is just absolute madness. The board better know what they are doing here as the fans expected someone high profile, the players will want someone high profile and instead we've ended up with some bloke with a mediocre record in a not particularly competitive French league.

I'm not impressed at all and can't help but feel we've thrown away our chance to bring in a real first class manager. Hope I'm wrong.

Thinking the same way as you, not inspiring as an appointment at all. Hope he makes me eat my words though. Sounds like they spoke to him at the time of appointing Koeman so not a random selection I reckon. Mind you, Lowe spoke to Poortvielt and Wotte before appointing Burley so that may not saying much!

Comparing the appointment of Puel (if indeed it does happen) to those of Wigley and Gray is ridiculous, there simply is no comparison. Also comparing the decisions made by Lowe to Read is ridiculous. Read has proved for many years that his and other people visions and decisions are sound, whereas Lowe failed miserably at virtually every step.

Puel is someone I had never heard about but then I do not really follow other countries football to the same detail as I do here. Reading the various articles and info available on him and he seems like a really good fit to our clear philosophy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only good thing we all know about this Puel guy is that one article.

And potentially the stamp of approval from the godfather of English foootball. ! If he's Les reeds choice who are we to question it? This is The man who wrote the manual for coaching in England!

It's crazy how many different favourites there have been for the job. Although Puel wasn't my initial favourite I think he's probably the best "fit" for our club. Btw whoever first posted that one article about him is a genius (check my profile you're welcome)

So Virgil/Fraser let me introduce you to Manuel . Impressed?

Lads this is our new manager Claude Puel.....who???

Sorry not impressed but hey been wrong before just think it's arrogance to reject someone who managed Real and his record compared to Puels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

do you seriously think that'd be the players reaction?

And you honestly don't understand why he'd rank above Pellegrini?

Exactly he has only managed in France a poor win ratio and as you say a Remi Garde potentially.

How will he cope with Premiership prima donnas?

Am concerned although club has deserved some slack but doesn't stop me being worried we have turned down a top top manager

You'd think that we'd only turn down someone of that ilk if we knew we had someone we were sure was the better option in the pipeline :suspicious:

Apart from Puel's lack of experience managing outside of France, what is everyones beef with him? His track record, both in the league and in europe, seems very good.

Quite. Pellegrini's record of finishing behind Leicester despite spending a fortune, and having no track record of actual coaching or nurturing youth, apparently makes him the better man.

Stinks of this to be honest

=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhkvz6nb_NAhUqBMAKHXJCDMoQ_AUICSgC&biw=1280&bih=705#imgrc=qliREW_rwaWUBM%3A

Still cannot get my head around the fact its been our most successful season both on & off the pitch yet no obvious 'outstanding' candidate.

Even the standard of players we're being linked with are pretty underwhelming.

search?q=alain+perrin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhkvz6nb_NAhUqBMAKHXJCDMoQ_AUICSgC&biw=1280&bih=705#imgrc=qliREW_rwaWUBM%3A

Still cannot get my head around the fact its been our most successful season both on & off the pitch yet no obvious 'outstanding' candidate.

do you seriously think that'd be the players reaction?

And you honestly don't understand why he'd rank above Pellegrini?

Why wouldn't it be do you think they suck up every word like you?

If you think Puel ranks above Pellegrini with his record you are even more brainwashed than I thought.

search?q=alain+perrin&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhkvz6nb_NAhUqBMAKHXJCDMoQ_AUICSgC&biw=1280&bih=705#imgrc=qliREW_rwaWUBM%3A

Probably worth having some faith in the people that keep delivering our year on year improvement?

We're Adkins, Pochettino or even Koeman particularly exciting when we got them in?

Why wouldn't it be do you think they suck up every word like you?

If you think Puel ranks above Pellegrini with his record you are even more brainwashed than I thought.

They're experienced footballing professionals.

So the answer is 'no' you don't understand why he'd be picked ahead of Pellegrini :lol:

Probably worth having some faith in the people that keep delivering our year on year improvement?

We're Adkins, Pochettino or even Koeman particularly exciting when we got them in?

For me personally, yes, I knew of Pochettino and Koeman before.

You might be slightly missing my point, we're a top six club, the names linked aren't your fan's household improvement.

Whoever gets the nod I can't wait to see who in the club comes out with the fabled one liner "we got our first choice candidate".

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Nobody has a clue who our first choice was/is apart from the board. I doubt we set out with a clear first choice in mind, just a list of managers we liked and wanted to speak with them all before deciding

the chances of them ever learning is zero.

Or you ever reading what people write and having the mental capacity to understand we get what the club are doing but sometimes question it when there are options rather than sucking it all up .

For me personally, yes, I knew of Pochettino and Koeman before.

You might be slightly missing my point, we're a top six club, the names linked aren't your fan's household improvement.

No, I fully understand your point, getting excited by household names is what the likes of Newcastle do.

We're not recruiting a cheap unknown from a footballing backwater if we go with Puel.

So let me get this right, the only reason this fella is being written off as trash is because he isn't as well known as Pellegreni?

Who is writing him off as trash ? Read what is being written!

It's the fact he has only managed in France not a worry and his win ratio ?

If he is appointed fine will support him

You'd think that we'd only turn down someone of that ilk if we knew we had someone we were sure was the better option in the pipeline :suspicious:

No the club want a training ground coach and someone to bring through youth they clearly didn't think that was Pellegrini after talking to him. I get the feeling what the fans are looking for and what the club are looking for is very different right now. Seems to me Les found, in his opinion, the perfect manager/coach in poch and is now looking for someone in the same mould. Looks to me like a bit of a risk and the club may be guilty of being a bit to dogmatic about the "Southampton Way".

Is Ronald the first moderately successful European journeyman manager to do well in the Premier League? Garde, Magath and a few others have been spectacular failures in the recent past, while I suppose you could say Flores did a decent job last season after moving around Spain a bit. I must admit, Puel does have a bit of a whiff about him, but it's probably just because he sounds like someone Fulham would have hired ten years ago.

Or you ever reading what people write and having the mental capacity to understand we get what the club are doing but sometimes question it when there are options rather than sucking it all up .

Stick to inventing made up conversations between players.

You can't understand why we'd go for Puel, there's not much else to say. Just stick to abuse I guess.

FFS read what I have written I get it and totally understand it.

I just think Pellegrini was a great option without gambling.

You started with the sarcasm .

Just to be clear again whoever we appoint will get my support but felt I could voice my disappointed view on this noddy forum .

Perhaps Koeman was right about our lack of ambition. We had a chance to appoint Pellegrini and we turn him down for what looks likely to be someone with far far inferior experience. It's clearly not a shambles because it's all planned by the club, just a shame that it's now transparent that the people running our club do not want any more progression.

Southampton turn down Pellegrini. F*cking hell.

We are well known as a stepping stone for players and managers to big clubs. For those players and managers who are nobody in preimer league but have potential and ambition to go to big clubs. Therefore, Pellegreni, Hiddink and other big names are not in.

Let's be realistic. We will continue to recruit players you never heard and sell our big players every summer.

Today is a good day to bury bad news. The trouble with appointing good young managers who then do well is they get poached. Appoint a good young manager who then fails, you get relegated. A poisoned chalice then for Reed. My one concern is the club are starting to believe their own PR, ie too much emphasis on "the Southampton way. "

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

I do sometimes wonder about our fans.....turn the clock back 5 years ago and look where we were. Have our board let us down with managerial appointments???...most definately not......would the like of Pellegrini have been remotely interested in Southampton??....definately not. He is interested now because he recognises an extremely well run club that has been making steady progess year on year.

I trust the board that they are choosing a manager that fits everything that is good about our club. I don't want a BIG NAME manager just because they are that, a big name. I want a manager that buys into the clubs vision and yes the "Southampton way".....if that turns out to be Puel he will get my backing.

Today is a good day to bury bad news. The trouble with appointing good young managers who then do well is they get poached. Appoint a good young manager who then fails, you get relegated. A poisoned chalice then for Reed. My one concern is the club are starting to believe their own PR, ie too much emphasis on "the Southampton way. "

.. and also the (smug) belief that because they appointed an unknown in Poch who proved his worth that we have a midas touch that will sniff out a gem every time.

As many have alluded to, we may aim for another Poch, but end up with a Remi Garde.

I do sometimes wonder about our fans.....turn the clock back 5 years ago and look where we were. Have our board let us down with managerial appointments???...most definately not......would the like of Pellegrini have been remotely interested in Southampton??....definately not. He is interested now because he recognises an extremely well run club that has been making steady progess year on year.

I trust the board that they are choosing a manager that fits everything that is good about our club. I don't want a BIG NAME

manager just because they are that, a big name. I want a manager that buys into the clubs vision and yes the "Southampton way".....if that turns out to be Puel he will get my backing.

This, however I am concerned about the so called new direction we are supposed to be following as nobody has been able to identify what that is.

I suppose the outcome will be not who our new manager is but who we end up signing on the pitch to replace the few that leave.

The Southampton Way is merely a corporate slogan and it sounds like you do not get the difference between a slogan and a culture. The Southampton Way is not a PR slogan it is a particular way of doing things, how people are treated, what the values of the business are, what the objectives, are how they go about achieving those objectives. You can attempt to condone this so often called corporate speak as none sense but the reality is that every single business, every single family or group of friends have their own culture, what they do and what they say and how theŷ think. The Southampton FC culture is ever evolving and is clearly based in sound foundations and has success running through its veins at most levels and areas of the business. This is not the club we had under Askham or Lowe or Wilde which also had a culture.......predominantly a small-minded culture, whereas under the leaders since administration that mindset has changed significantly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Puel is massively underwhelming IMO, sad thing is I knew who he was and that is what is even more underwhelming because I never considered him good enough. At least with more of an unknown there is some excitement with that.

To turn down Pellegrini for Puel, can't see the reasons for it.