The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

I still think it's Pellegrini.

Look at Koeman to Everton to a while to finalise.

Because they had to give us a considerable sum of money before anything really progressed. Not the case with Pellegrini, unless he has to stay until some set hour on the 30th June to get whatever they're paying him for activating the opt out clause for the final year of his contract.

Perhaps Pellegrini is coming in on the 1st of July and he is already working with Reed to sort out contracts and players.

Wanyama leaving, Dundee youngster coming in with Redmond?

Plus a top City youngster linked?

Edited by Pilchards

The more I think about it, I am more convinced that MP will be our new manager on July 1st. He has stated that his contract finishes on June 30th at City and as a man on integrity, he is sticking by that. Pep hasn't uttered anything that I am aware of in an official capacity at city as he doesn't start until July 1st. I believe now that MP will be announced July 1st, although as has been said, that wont stop him acting behind the scenes.

I personally think Pellegrini has been given the job, but can't take it until July because he would forfeit some sort of payment from City. All this stuff the club are putting out about more interviews I don't buy.

Someone in the club playing games as for as Klinnsman goes. Get your money on the Chilean.

I don't know about you lot, but when I sign a contract, I like to sign it before I start. So if I was signing on, say, 23rd June, it would probably have a 1st July start date.

Why on earh do you think Man City, who have already replaced him, would pay him a bonus to not look for another job?

that is a terrible list. Howard Wilkinson is still the most recent English manager to win the league (with Leeds), and they finished 4th as well with rod Wallace top goalscorer(?), how can he possible be one of the 5 worst if he actually won it?!?!?!?

He didn't win the Premier League though did he

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have to wait til July to announce anything. City have very publicly let him go. They are hardly going to make a fuss if he announces he is going to another club. Granted he is still technically employed until June 30th but so what? What are they going to do ? Sack him? Any payments he is due will be documented in the contract so I'm sure that he would be well within his rights to sign a contract for us now with a start date of July 1st.

I think Man City would allow him to join Saints before 1st July without him having to forego any bonuses.

I'm still not convinced he is the guy we want - there is no doubting his pedigree from his CV and he has a profile that will command respect in the dressing room. However, presuming our 5 year plan is closely aligned to previous versions there are some aspects of his management that don't appear to align well to it:

1. His tactical preference is 4-4-2 and we have players at the club for 4-2-3-1.

2. He comfortably prefers seasoned pros to giving youth players a chance

They are pretty big things for a club like us to change our stance on - or indeed a Manager of his standing to compromise on. It doesn't add up to me.

I'm pretty sure that he doesn't have to wait til July to announce anything. City have very publicly let him go. They are hardly going to make a fuss if he announces he is going to another club. Granted he is still technically employed until June 30th but so what? What are they going to do ? Sack him? Any payments he is due will be documented in the contract so I'm sure that he would be well within his rights to sign a contract for us now with a start date of July 1st.

I saw another so-called ITK on Twitter who said something similar to this.

I'm going to refrain from commenting about the validity of such information from now on though.

yeah i tend to agree, nothing to stop a contract dated 1 July being signed and the announcement made beforehand.

Perhaps that will happen, maybe hes gone away on holiday although we do have issues when managers go away on holiday :-(

I saw another so-called ITK on Twitter who said something similar to this.

I'm going to refrain from commenting about the validity of such information from now on though.

Oh I am the absolute opposite of an ITK. I know absolutely nothing. It's just my opinion on the contract situation.

Ok. Klinsmann. He's been disastrous for the USA. Probably taken them back 20 years as far as progression. Nobody expects the USA to win against Argentina, but 4-0, without a shot on target on home soil, is something you wouldn't even expect in the 1990s. Plus he's more fond of searching out dual citizens in Germany than he is blooding new talent in America.

I'd rather have Roy Hodgson. Or have 'Arry back. Or Joe Kinnear. That's how bad he is. A Klinsmann appointment will either result in an October/November sacking or a campaign in the Championship for the 2017/18 season.

Your credibility just evaporated :mcinnes:

The Leicester phenomenon is clouding achievements of other clubs. He hardly did badly in the circumstances though did he.

No but it was an article on Premier League managers though so they probably just picked the ones with the lowest win percentage since they changed the name.

I don't know about you lot, but when I sign a contract, I like to sign it before I start. So if I was signing on, say, 23rd June, it would probably have a 1st July start date.

Why on earh do you think Man City, who have already replaced him, would pay him a bonus to not look for another job?

He had another year left on his contract. Maybe there were clauses about him getting it paid up.

But this is not a normal contract is it? It has to be registered with the PL and we could not do that until Mpel is free of his current contract on the 30th June. The target date for appointing the new manager has now slipped to the 4th July - after the end of MPel's current contract.

Interesting that Adam Leith nor the others decided to stick a byline on that. I'd be stunned if this is true, I'm near certain he's not a serious candidate.

Probably too embarrassed to out himself on this 'story'

Laughable that people think that City , having announced Pep in the middle of the season would somehow stop MP being announced until 1st July . Even if they did , he could sign and there would be a leak to the press . If he's just awaiting D day of the 1st why is it so secretive? Must be footballs first " done deal" that anyone's managed to keep secret since KK . IF , it ends up being MP , the delay will be him waiting for a better offer elsewhere, rather than any contractual situation with city .

This dude is ticking some serious boxes.

Olympiakos’s Marco Silva is legitimately being touted as Portugal's new kid on the block. He spent most of his playing career at Portuguese club Estoril, where he retired in June 2011 at the age of 34.

The directors were quick to promote Silva, whose remit was to lift the club into the Primeira Liga after hovering for six consecutive seasons in the second tier of Portuguese football.

Silva’s debut season as manager was a stunning success. Against all expectations he guided his team to the second-tier title with style, panache and, most notably according to local football pundits, tactical nous.

Promoted to the top flight along with Moreirense, both clubs were favourites for relegation. Moreirense went down, but Silva produced an even greater triumph as Estoril finished fifth; qualifying for the Europa League was also their first entry into European competition in the club’s 74-year history.

image: http://imgur.com/9tSOpzS.gif

But when Lica and Steven Vitoria – their two key players – were sold to Porto and Benfica respectively in the summer of 2013, Estoril were once again favourites for the drop. Silva again deceived disbelievers by guiding Estoril to a historic fourth-placed finish. Sporting recruited him on a four-year deal.

He led the club to their first major trophy since 2008 by winning the 2015 Portuguese Cup, and finished third in the league behind Benfica and Porto. Despite his success, rumours of a rift with the club’s president proved accurate as Silva was given his dismissal just four days after winning the Taca de Portugal.

One of Silva’s most impressive attributes has been his ability to nurture young talent. As such, Olympiakos signed a handful of highly talented youngsters last summer and hired Silva in the hope he would bring the best out of a squad with potential. What followed has been nothing short of spectacular.

A 3-2 victory at Arsenal in the Champions League and 100% domestic record of 12 consecutive wins in the Greek Superleague have prompted inevitable comparisons with Jose Mourinho. His next challenge is to stop a highly charged Arsenal, with Silva’s side needing a draw to guarantee a last 16 spot.

This dude is ticking some serious boxes.

Olympiakos’s Marco Silva is legitimately being touted as Portugal's new kid on the block. He spent most of his playing career at Portuguese club Estoril, where he retired in June 2011 at the age of 34.

The directors were quick to promote Silva, whose remit was to lift the club into the Primeira Liga after hovering for six consecutive seasons in the second tier of Portuguese football.

Silva’s debut season as manager was a stunning success. Against all expectations he guided his team to the second-tier title with style, panache and, most notably according to local football pundits, tactical nous.

Promoted to the top flight along with Moreirense, both clubs were favourites for relegation. Moreirense went down, but Silva produced an even greater triumph as Estoril finished fifth; qualifying for the Europa League was also their first entry into European competition in the club’s 74-year history.

image: http://imgur.com/9tSOpzS.gif

But when Lica and Steven Vitoria – their two key players – were sold to Porto and Benfica respectively in the summer of 2013, Estoril were once again favourites for the drop. Silva again deceived disbelievers by guiding Estoril to a historic fourth-placed finish. Sporting recruited him on a four-year deal.

He led the club to their first major trophy since 2008 by winning the 2015 Portuguese Cup, and finished third in the league behind Benfica and Porto. Despite his success, rumours of a rift with the club’s president proved accurate as Silva was given his dismissal just four days after winning the Taca de Portugal.

One of Silva’s most impressive attributes has been his ability to nurture young talent. As such, Olympiakos signed a handful of highly talented youngsters last summer and hired Silva in the hope he would bring the best out of a squad with potential. What followed has been nothing short of spectacular.

A 3-2 victory at Arsenal in the Champions League and 100% domestic record of 12 consecutive wins in the Greek Superleague have prompted inevitable comparisons with Jose Mourinho. His next challenge is to stop a highly charged Arsenal, with Silva’s side needing a draw to guarantee a last 16 spot.

My favoruite thing about that story is from his wiki page:

On 4 June 2015, four days after winning the trophy, Sporting announced that Silva had been sacked with just cause, for not wearing the club's official suit in a cup match against F.C. Vizela.

Interesting that Adam Leith nor the others decided to stick a byline on that. I'd be stunned if this is true, I'm near certain he's not a serious candidate.

That piece would have been written by somebody on the news desk.

News editors and people on news desks get overcome by jealousy when sports stories dominate the news agenda, which is often the case on provincial papers.

They feel they are missing out and try to have an input in what is the biggest story on their patch.

There is nothing more frustrating for sports journos than when the news desk tries to muscle in on the action and gets involved by writing sports stories.

Leith is in Scotland, by the way.

That's quite interesting. Another of his tweets says he offered his resignation because he's talking to a club in England.

It's either us or Forest... Greek media seem to think it's us.

Cant be us as his name doesnt start with a P, we were assured that the surname starts with a P:)

That piece would have been written by somebody on the news desk.

News editors and people on news desks get overcome by jealousy when sports stories dominate the news agenda, which is often the case on provincial papers.

They feel they are missing out and try to have an input in what is the biggest story on their patch.

There is nothing more frustrating for sports journos than when the news desk tries to muscle in on the action and gets involved by writing sports stories.

Leith is in Scotland, by the way.

You're preaching to the choir, FM. :)

And yes, quite right. Adam Leitch - as much as my laptop wants to always autocorrect his name to Leith.