Pre-Season (2016/17)

SuperSAINT

Really dislike this style of play....chances will really be at a premium if we continue in this rigid style. Absolutely nothing be created from open play.

I think it's hard to gauge from friendlies where the pace of the game is that much slower. I think that in a normal Prem game, the pace of Long and Redmond should ensure that oppo defences play quite deep and we can push up the pitch. Tadic's creativity will be key though.

Really dislike this style of play....chances will really be at a premium if we continue in this rigid style. Absolutely nothing be created from open play.

The chances are meant to come from the fullbacks and from the #10. Mcqueen is nowhere near good enough and Martina not getting forward enough. Tadic having a mare. We're impotent.

Only watched this first half of our pre season so far and it doesn't look great. I don't really get the full backs almost playing as wingers if they've not got the quality when they get the ball. Simply play wingers on the wing and full backs in defence. Radical has been woeful and everybody seems a bit lost and confused. Normally I'm a glass half full type but not too sure about this new system.

So they won't play all season?

Of course they will. But Fonte and Cedric might not play the first game IMO.

Not sure what is so odd about that, they only start training tomorrow and the other players all had about 3 weeks training before the first friendly.

They have two weeks before the first PL game.

Martina, Clasie and Tadic have been very poor.

we look very toothless up top. but it is only a friendly

Groningen are not much better

I thought Gronigen look a fair bit better than any of the other sides we've played so far, at least it's a game that you can watch without being bored to tears.

Maybe I don't get it, which is likely, but I don't see where the scoring opportunities come from in this setup. It seems good for controlling the ball in the middle third, a little shaky in the back (depends if the wingers can get back), and offers very little up front. It seems to demand a very open field and I'm not sure we ever get that with the very good defensive teams in the PL.

The system requires a lot from the fullbacks as an outlet out wide high up the pitch. Adding Bertrand and Cedric into this side would make a big difference.

that was dire

i think we will let more in than we are used to, next season

Why ? How many did we let in first half?

If anything our formation even without Fonte, Cedric and Bertrand looks stronger defensively.

Unlike you to be negative

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

If anything our formation without Fonte, Cedric and Bertrand looks stronger defensively.

They've had more chances, better play, the best chance and it's only since they're down to 10 that we've really pushed on. Against the calibre of team we will face we will struggle massively and do poorly if this level of performance is replicated throughout the season.

They've had more chances, better play, the best chance and it's only since they're down to 10 that we've really pushed on. Against the calibre of team we will face we will struggle massively and do poorly if this level of performance is replicated throughout the season.

Think they had more possession but chances? Thought we defended pretty well.

My concern is last third not our end as we have little creativity and forgotten offside law

We've wanted a goalscorer in the box for a while and Austin is that man yet too many times in this new system he is picking the ball up in almost the right back position. Get him up front, near the goal and give him chances. No need for him to be tracking back so that a full back can bomb on. Yes, he scored and we won but that was dreadful against 10 men.

Seems a bit strange to completely change a system of 4 3 3 last season from last season from a team that finished 6th to a system to me that looks a complete fook up ........no wingers whatsoever and where will Tadic fit in ? I know its only pre season but we do look so short on quality and creativity .......I just cant see where the goals are going to come from........But hopefully we have quite a few more coming in surely.

We've wanted a goalscorer in the box for a while and Austin is that man yet too many times in this new system he is picking the ball up in almost the right back position. Get him up front, near the goal and give him chances. No need for him to be tracking back so that a full back can bomb on. Yes, he scored and we won but that was dreadful against 10 men.

Agreed. We have 2 guys (JRod aside for now because I'm not sure how far back he really is) who are proven PL scorers. However in this scheme 70% they are wide with midfielders and wingers coming through. This scheme seems to favor midfielders like Tadic, Redmon, etc. who are good players, but I don't believe will be consistent scorers. Puel needs to find a way to get Long and Austin more in the game, more in the center near the goal, than he has with this current form of the diamond.

The chances are meant to come from the fullbacks and from the #10. Mcqueen is nowhere near good enough and Martina not getting forward enough. Tadic having a mare. We're impotent.

Agree with that McQueen and Martina got in good position but delivery abysmal. Keep Austin no more than 20 yards from goal otherwise wasted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The diamond fprmayion really needs a proper no 10 and we don't have one.

Isgrove and Tadic were forced out of position to try and fit in. The diamond can work, but it is also easy to nullify if you mark the top and bas of ther diamond ( something like that anyway , from Jonathon Wilsons excellent book "Inverting the Pyramid").

On a more postive note, Hesketh looked good, as did all the young defenders and the Bayern reject. As for the dimond experiment." It's 4-3-****ing-3! "

If anything our formation even without Fonte, Cedric and Bertrand looks stronger defensively.

not about this game. it seems we will put so much into the full backs to create chances and give us width we will get caught out. the midfield has little pace in it to get across the pitch.

we still clearly need a top replacement for mane.

I've avoided criticisisng the new look Saints so far....however i have now watched all 4 pre-season games and to be honest with only 2 more friendlies left i am now a bit worried.

Yes we look tighter defensively....but we look incredibly impotent up front. There looks to be a real lack of quality connecting the midfield to the forward line. I'm really hoping the players are holding back something....because if they are not i will be very concerned.

And lets face it....we have played some good awful opposition so far!!!

What was that all about? We are frankly looking clueless in mid-filed and up front. Not a spark in 4 games and no obvious plan or creativity. Too many safe square and back passes, doesn't anybody want to take responsibility other than VVD? All very pedestrian and predictable. At least Romeu and Clasie are looking better.

Where are Davis and Bertrand, leaving it until Wednesday is leaving it a bit late to say the least.

I've avoided criticisisng the new look Saints so far....however i have now watched all 4 pre-season games and to be honest with only 2 more friendlies left i am now a bit worried.

Yes we look tighter defensively....but we look incredibly impotent up front. There looks to be a real lack of quality connecting the midfield to the forward line. I'm really hoping the players are holding back something....because if they are not i will be very concerned.

And lets face it....we have played some good awful opposition so far!!!

We're still missing a few significant players though. Expect to see something more like our first XI on Wednesday.

Can't really understand why we've given Davis and Bertrand so much time off, or at least so much time before paticipating in build up games. Neither of them went very far in the Euro and Long is back playing already, seems a bit unequal.

not about this game. it seems we will put so much into the full backs to create chances and give us width we will get caught out. the midfield has little pace in it to get across the pitch.

we still clearly need a top replacement for mane.

We will see what happens when we have decent full backs playing - today we didn't.

Yep our front looks barren without Pelle linking it and outlet.

Need another creative forward badly if Tadic is poor no-one else

The diamond fprmayion really needs a proper no 10 and we don't have one.

Isgrove and Tadic were forced out of position to try and fit in. The diamond can work, but it is also easy to nullify if you mark the top and bas of ther diamond ( something like that anyway , from Jonathon Wilsons excellent book "Inverting the Pyramid").

On a more postive note, Hesketh looked good, as did all the young defenders and the Bayern reject. As for the dimond experiment." It's 4-3-****ing-3! "

If he's a "Bayern reject", can we sign another 10 please?

I don't like the diamond formation anywhere, always seems to be too many midfielders in each others way and not enough width. Must have missed it being successful long term somewhere though.

Feel bad for Tadic. He's a terrific winger, and a rubbish no10. He suffered from our 3/5/2 and 3/4/3 formations then found great form when back to 4/3/3. He's our main creator, possibly our only one so getting the best out of him is vital.

Get the impression we'll start with the diamond and end up back at 4/3/3 within a couple of months after it hasn't worked.

Probably, you are right. The diamond should be used mainly to stifle mid-field and gain ball possession mainly when we are being over-run by the opposition which evidently was not the case in any of our games so far. Negatively a diamond leaves no outlets once we win the ball back. Adkins loved it but knew when to employ it and when not, against second rate opposition with little or no threat we don't need to use it.

What worries me is that we are not practising 4-3-3 and not moving the ball to feet anywhere near fast enough... and not getting any better at holding the ball and taking responsibility (except VVD of course).

Well job done I guess. Plus points: Some decent diagonal passing as the match progressed despite giveaways (though too much lazy sideways crossing early on, especially in front of goal that players like Pogma will punish). Some skilful touches from Redmond, JWP and Hesketh (we were livelier when he came on) and good to see Austin in the goalmouth to bundle the ball in, saving our blushes. MOTM had to be VVD. We were letting the ten man opposition too much space after he was subbed. I agree with comments about the new system stifling forward play, but perhaps we are still getting use to it. We were beginning to trouble Groningen before their player was sent off, but our best patch seemed to be when Hesketh and the youngsters came on. They gave away the ball more often, but created chances that led to Austin's goal

I don't like the diamond formation anywhere, always seems to be too many midfielders in each others way and not enough width. Must have missed it being successful long term somewhere though.

Feel bad for Tadic. He's a terrific winger, and a rubbish no10. He suffered from our 3/5/2 and 3/4/3 formations then found great form when back to 4/3/3. He's our main creator, possibly our only one so getting the best out of him is vital.

Get the impression we'll start with the diamond and end up back at 4/3/3 within a couple of months after it hasn't worked.

Probably, you are right. The diamond should be used mainly to stifle mid-field and gain ball possession mainly when we are being over-run by the opposition which evidently was not the case in any of our games so far. Negatively a diamond leaves no outlets once we win the ball back. Adkins loved it but knew when to employ it and when not, against second rate opposition with little or no threat we don't need to use it.

What worries me is that we are not practising 4-3-3 and not moving the ball to feet anywhere near fast enough... and not getting any better at holding the ball and taking responsibility (except VVD of course).

I thought the younger players looked better than a lot of the established players. Pierre, Hesketh, Reed, Jones, Stephens all looked good.

The system seems too rigid and predictable and will likely be easy for other teams to close down. Strikers playing really deep won't result in many goals. I truly hope there is better to come because we have created so little in this pre-season.

The whole team looked jaded and lethargic first half I thought. Some comments a bit harsh on McQueen. He won't have been activated for coming on by the fitness guys. He got faster as the game went on and took on the full back late second half. He's got plenty of pace as seen in other games but you can't switch it one without proper activation exercises. He was the one that 'busted a gut' to get up for that cross from Hesketh. Second half youngsters looked more up for it. Totally agree about Austin. He needs to be in the box getting service. It may be right that the system doesn't fit the players available.

This match thread was hilarious to read back. 3 pages of constant whining about everything imaginable and 1 post (literally, 1 post) about our goal.

Big girls blouses the lot of you

Pathetic is`nt it, the match threads for the new season are going to be worse...unless we win 3 nil every game and none of the players makes any mistakes at all..

I thought the younger players looked better than a lot of the established players. Pierre, Hesketh, Reed, Jones, Stephens all looked good.

The system seems too rigid and predictable and will likely be easy for other teams to close down. Strikers playing really deep won't result in many goals. I truly hope there is better to come because we have created so little in this pre-season.

When will you and many others like you realise that pre season is about the process. It is all about re-learning patterns of movement and getting used to any new tactics which clearly there will be with a new manager, albeit not a major change.

The team has two more weeks of "training" and all of the main players will be back this week. Plus of course we will sign 2-3 new players to freshen it up even more.

The kids looked OK 2nd half but I would be surprised if any are going to have a major impact this season. Sure a few will no doubt play in the JPT and possibly the League Cup but other than Reed I doubt many will have very many premier league minutes.

Pathetic performance, I really don't think I'm going to bother supporting Saints this season :rolleyes:

I didn't see it but quick look at this thread and seems little point having any hope this season. We are clearly doomed