Pre-Season (2016/17)

SuperSAINT

Sounds like a typical pre season game. No need to over-analyse it.

Performance level and intensity will be much higher come 3pm Saturday.

We will destroy Watford.

Really don't think we will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope we are not going to be this seasons (LvG's) man united.

all about holding the ball and blunt up top for playing players out of their natural position.

Am afraid based on this weeks friendlies that's the way it looks to me - players playing a formation rather than to their strengths.

Again we were not tested defensively today but look a good shape but Long and Austin don't look comfortable with it or to what suits them.

Redmond again looks good but again another option and take fan pressure off him will be ideal.

I thought it was quite d ecent performance today, especially the 2nd half. Fonte's influence on the team is enormous. Everything seems to start from him at the back. I was pleasantly surprised by Pied. He looks a tidy player and I'd expect him to be an improvment on Martina. Hojbjerg is a very good passer. Some of his long, crossfield passes reminded me of Liam Brady. Tadic looked very uncomfortable in his new position. It jsut doean't suit him. Sadly, Rodriguez looks the same as he did at the end of last season. I really wonder if he is ever going to be the player he was before he got injured. Austin came close to scoring a couple of times, which is promising. But, we very clearly need a nother pacy striker and I'm sure Puel knows that. Let's hope we get a good one and not Zaza.

Overall, better than expected so I'm feeling a bit more confident about the Watford game.

Feel that the club should have picked a manager to fit the clubs philosophy, 4-3-3...

Above formation would work fine and mean the players aren't trying to learn a new system. I don't think the diamond works in the Prem.....we shall see.

You also described the club as a 'joke' in previous summers, so your opinion can be taken with a pinch of salt.

Pretty happy so far. Very easy 1-0 win today.

Defensively, we look very solid indeed.

Agree that our attacking options look thinner.

Expect we will seek to win a lot of games 1-0 this season. Might not be too pleasing on the eye but might be effective. A sort of modern, French, cattanacio.

according to stats on Transfermarkt, Puel played 4-2-3-1 for the Majority of 13-14 and 14-15

he played the diamond formation for the majority of 15-16 but played 3-5-2 four times (including against PSG)

Only able to see the highlights - propaganda (showing replays of missed half-chances) which suggests the club were trying to make the game look good. From what people have said on here (and the thread itself) the 2nd half seems to have been entirely forgettable.

Ignoring possession, can anyone who went answer a couple of questions?

How many clear-cut chances did we have? Where were they e.g. outside the area, in the middle of the 6 yard box etc, who did they fall to and how good were AB? Does the system mean that chances are likely to fall more frequently to e.g. S Davis than C Austin.

The same but for half-chances.

How much sideways/backwards passing is there? What type of team were AB - what I want from that is to know how many of the teams we will face in the league will play in a comparable fashion (e.g. short, quick passing and moving the ball on the deck, no crossing, etc)?

Did any of the under 23s look any good/better than they have done previously? What about Targett (I wasn't happy with the comment Puel made in his interview when asked about Bertrand - it seemed very short and dismissive and then Puel went to talk about McQueen/Targett in the same breath as though they were comparable to Bertrand which plainly they aren't). Is there any indication that working with young players is a strength of Puel and that they are/could be capable of playing a stint of games if required?

Who does the system not suit (e.g. Clasie, Austin. Tadic) and is there any indication that they could learn to fit it and play as well as, if not better, than they did last season? The usual caveats apply regarding Austin of course.

I have the impression that Redmond flatters to deceive i.e. the end product isn't there and isn't likely to be. Were there any definite indications that this might not be the case? Hitting the post (btw) confirms my point rather than disproves it so anything along those lines won't make be sufficient.

What are the weaknesses of the system e.g. even though we can have a good back 5 does it look as though we can be troubled by play behind the wing-backs, aggressive pressing, teams sitting deep, the defence being isolated and overrun by a quick counter (e.g. Leicester)? How did the pace of the game compare to a PL game? How is that going to affect the system that we play? Likewise, how will the midfield cope against greater numbers/more power and pace that is prevalent in the games we'll play? How is the midfield likely to function when the quite obvious cross-field balls to the wing-backs get snuffed out far more often than they seem to have been to date?

Any other comments?

Umm, did we just rely on Mane for goals at the end of last season then? Really pathetic ill thought out dig.

actually it's not, it's a fair comment. We looked toothless Wednesday and again today. Redmond looks a good signing but he's not a big goal scorer. Tadic is a fine player but not a goal scorer which leaves Long who won't net you a shed load of goals. Austin playing deep is a waste of time, he's a goal poacher plain and simple. And Jay Rod is so far away from the player he was before that injury it's untrue.

so you tell me which one or two of that little lot are going to get the goals Pelle and Mane scored along with Shane Long or do you expect him to double his goal tally, and if he does that only covers Pelle or Mane.

Only able to see the highlights - propaganda (showing replays of missed half-chances) which suggests the club were trying to make the game look good. From what people have said on here (and the thread itself) the 2nd half seems to have been entirely forgettable.

How many clear-cut chances did we have? Where were they e.g. outside the area, in the middle of the 6 yard box etc, who did they fall to and how good were AB? Does the system mean that chances are likely to fall more frequently to e.g. S Davis than C Austin.

How much sideways/backwards passing is there? What type of team were AB - what I want from that is to know how many of the teams we will face in the league will play in a comparable fashion (e.g. short, quick passing and moving the ball on the deck, no crossing, etc)?

Did any of the under 23s look any good/better than they have done previously? What about Targett (I wasn't happy with the comment Puel made in his interview when asked about Bertrand - it seemed very short and dismissive and then Puel went to talk about McQueen/Targett in the same breath as though they were comparable to Bertrand which plainly they aren't). Is there any indication that working with young players is a strength of Puel and that they are/could be capable of playing a stint of games if required?

Who does the system not suit (e.g. Clasie, Austin. Tadic) and is there any indication that they could learn to fit it and play as well as, if not better, than they did last season? The usual caveats apply regarding Austin of course.

I have the impression that Redmond flatters to deceive i.e. the end product isn't there and isn't likely to be. Were there any definite indications that this might not be the case? Hitting the post (btw) confirms my point rather than disproves it so anything along those lines won't make be sufficient.

What are the weaknesses of the system e.g. even though we can have a good back 5 does it look as though we can be troubled by play behind the wing-backs, aggressive pressing, teams sitting deep, the defence being isolated and overrun by a quick counter (e.g. Leicester)? How did the pace of the game compare to a PL game? How is that going to affect the system that we play? Likewise, how will the midfield cope against greater numbers/more power and pace that is prevalent in the games we'll play? How is the midfield likely to function when the quite obvious cross-field balls to the wing-backs get snuffed out far more often than they seem to have been to date?

Any other comments?

A couple of questions ... :lol::lol::lol:

Any other comments?

We had a fair few very good chances first half.

My only real criticism is we didn't release the through ball early enough to get Long/Redmond on their way.

Redmond chance was a good save rather than a poor finish. Disagree about flatter to deceive totally however let's see against Prem teams.

My problem is that players like Long and Austin are forced wide and deep.

Bilbao were treating this as a training game and didn't really threaten much.

Our midfield look more mobile, composed and passing better than at times last season but poor opposition this week.

Target was ok and put in a few good crosses. I am concerned about Bertrand as he is a vital cog in our squad.

We do pass it around more and seem to try forward passes ...well Romeu and Sjobjerg do and work it though the middle better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Redmond chance was a good save rather than a poor finish. Disagree about flatter to deceive totally however let's see against Prem teams.

My problem is that players like Long and Austin are forced wide and deep.

Bilbao were treating this as a training game and didn't really threaten much.

Our midfield look more mobile, composed and passing better than at times last season but poor opposition this week.

Target was ok and put in a few good crosses. I am concerned about Bertrand as he is a vital cog in our squad.

We do pass it around more and seem to try forward passes ...well Romeu and Sjobjerg do and work it though the middle better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do you keep calling him 'Sjobjerg'? What am I missing?

Any other comments?

Recommend just to google the match and watch a replay. Might even be on OS YouTube channel. Going to be a hellavalot easier than answering that list. Not a jibe tho, they're good questions and I'd be interested to hear the answers once you get em

Basic verdict, looked bit toothless, tadic looked lost in the middle, players didn't look overly comfortable in formation, Hojberg looks quality and seems a bargain, Redmond looked good but lost it when coming inside, would rather him and Tadic both played wide supplying Austin with long up behind. Must keep hold of Virgil, if only he'd shot after going on a mazy run. If we pursue this system we really need a top drawer Acm to sit at top of diamond. If no signings arrive i can see us struggling to score and probably nicking games and finishing 10-12th

My thoughts on today's match (I was sat in Kingsland, near half-way line, high up):

We didn't so much seem to be playing the diamond (4-1-2-1-2) as a 4-3-3 with Tadic (first half) and JWP (2nd half) as the spearhead. The reason I say this is that going forward it was a front three (with Tadic/JWP central) whilst when defending Long and Redmond (later Austin and JRod) tracked back leaving the 'No 10' player (Tadic/JWP) as the one furthest forward. This looked weird, wrong and ineffective. Long and Redmond worked hard but didn't really offer much threat. They also swapped sides frequently. On one occasion, 5 minutes before half time, Long swapped with Tadic (Long going central, Tadic right). 2 minutes later Long scored (surprise, surprise) following a sublime through ball from Davis.

Please, please, please Puel - stop playing Tadic as the furthest player forward. Use Long or Austin; THEY are strikers!

Other than that, we played a tight game, keeping possession and knocking the ball around well enough. We all looked composed at the back, though rarely troubled.

VvD once more looked our most talented player and a great leader. Yoshida also played well. On the flanks, I thought young Matt Targett had a very good game; certainly better than Cedric first half. I was also pleased to see that Pied has a bit of pace and can beat a player well enough.

Romeu played the holding role first half; Hojberg did this job second half, after being one of the 2 in the first. Both looked comfortable in the holding role. When we are hit on the counter the holding CM drops in between the 2 CBs, allowing one of them to go wide. Basically, I would say, with the formation Puel wants us to play, the whole team has to be fluid, switching positions as and when required - although I'm not sure what he made of my favourite piece of play today (barring Long's goal) when Virgil broke forward with the ball at his feet. I just wish he would have shot instead of trying to pass the ball inside.

In conclusion, we looked tidy but not really stretched or tested (don't recall Forster having to save a single shot). However, we looked toothless up front. Don't expect many goals at St Mary's this season based on today's showing.

VvD, Targett, Romeo, Hojberg and Davis all played well. I would add Long, Redmond and Austin to that list, but they seemed hampered by the formation/the way they were asked to play.

Unfortunately, JRod has still to give any slight hint that he will ever be the player he was. In the few performances he put in last season and all those I have seen this pre-season he just doesn't seem to be able to beat/go past a defender as he used to, let alone score the types of goals he was renowned for.

We really do need two new forwards (or one forward, one AM) if we want to finish any higher than mid-table and have a good go in Europe, based on what I witnessed today.

actually it's not, it's a fair comment. We looked toothless Wednesday and again today. Redmond looks a good signing but he's not a big goal scorer. Tadic is a fine player but not a goal scorer which leaves Long who won't net you a shed load of goals. Austin playing deep is a waste of time, he's a goal poacher plain and simple. And Jay Rod is so far away from the player he was before that injury it's untrue.

so you tell me which one or two of that little lot are going to get the goals Pelle and Mane scored along with Shane Long or do you expect him to double his goal tally, and if he does that only covers Pelle or Mane.

Its only pre season but I don't get this toothless criticism when we've scored 10 goals in five games and scored in every pre-season game hardly seems toothless.

Basic verdict, looked bit toothless, tadic looked lost in the middle, players didn't look overly comfortable in formation, Hojberg looks quality and seems a bargain, Redmond looked good but lost it when coming inside, would rather him and Tadic both played wide supplying Austin with long up behind. Must keep hold of Virgil, if only he'd shot after going on a mazy run. If we pursue this system we really need a top drawer Acm to sit at top of diamond. If no signings arrive i can see us struggling to score and probably nicking games and finishing 10-12th

Someone like Mane?

First thoughts are Davy Klaassen who captains Ajax. Likes to get forward and can score goals, his contract runs till 2019 and he is rated at 15 million euros.

Well in terms of the line up only Redmond for Mane is any different attacking wise to what we finished with last season. Different formation maybe but the dig that there are no goals in the team is ill judged because minus Mane the goals will come from the same place they did at the end of last season. Unless of course as I asked we relied on just Mane last season.

Its only pre season but I don't get this toothless criticism when we've scored 10 goals in five games and scored in every pre-season game hardly seems toothless.

But we've played no quality, Bilbao/espanyol were on training sessions, zwolle,twente, groningen poor and latter got hammered today, I'm not saying doom and gloom but none of these sides offer what we are about to face

I think we've looked pretty good. Plenty of midfield depth, could do with another CB and maybe a striker who can win balls in the air, but then with the split strikers we're not going to be playing it at a target man much, and I think Austin is the closest we have to that option.

We've looked solid, and pacy, and sharp, but can't tell how much and for how long we can do that until we play another Premier League side. I think our depth in midfield is excellent though.

But we've played no quality, Bilbao/espanyol were on training sessions, zwolle,twente, groningen poor and latter got hammered today, I'm not saying doom and gloom but none of these sides offer what we are about to face

I get that but we still scored toothless would be us not scoring in pre-season. We were also in pre-season getting fitness, getting used to a new system and missing first teamers and scored 10 which should be encouraging not a cause for major doom.

I get the sense that if we'd have won every pre season match ten-nil you'd be complaining about how we haven't been tested.

Sounds like a typical pre season game. No need to over-analyse it.

Performance level and intensity will be much higher come 3pm Saturday.

We will destroy Watford.

The system seems to work ok in that goals are coming from a lot of different players. But I'd like to think that we will be able to switch to different strategies as well because with one main playing system oppositions will sus us out. Adkins. Poch and RK all worked that out eventually, the hard way

spent the entire game thinking it was the new feller in goal, Fraser seems to have shrunk, in any case didn't have much to do.

I liked Redmond and he did at least two great cross field passes. JWP (or possibly S Davis, they are two players I can never distiguish) could have risked looking a fool and taken a first time shot, but controlled it took a touch and put it over the bar. Would prefer the guys to have confidence in themselves to take on a first time shot. oh well.

bloody hell......coming back to read some of the comments, pre-season, etc. make me realize why I tend not to post on here any more.

Sure there are things we need to improve on and I'm sure the club is working on the areas that need improvement. So many wet blankets on here and I think no matter what the club did it would be wrong.

Championship Manager afficiandos extolling the virtues of players that quite clearly would not fit our system or mean we have 3 or 4 choices for every position.

Quite incredible really - did any of you moaning whingers notice that Espanyol beat Everton after playing us? You do realize most teams have not strengthened in the summer yet?

For the last 3 years we have been toothless up front - with the exception of small clusters of games where we have score a few - yet suddenly it is all the new managers fault.

Quite incredible and 'I want it all now' mentality that never used to be associated with Saints fans.

Thank god this forum is not representative of the real world.

bloody hell......coming back to read some of the comments, pre-season, etc. make me realize why I tend not to post on here any more.

Sure there are things we need to improve on and I'm sure the club is working on the areas that need improvement. So many wet blankets on here and I think no matter what the club did it would be wrong.

Championship Manager afficiandos extolling the virtues of players that quite clearly would not fit our system or mean we have 3 or 4 choices for every position.

Quite incredible really - did any of you moaning whingers notice that Espanyol beat Everton after playing us? You do realize most teams have not strengthened in the summer yet?

For the last 3 years we have been toothless up front - with the exception of small clusters of games where we have score a few - yet suddenly it is all the new managers fault.

Quite incredible and 'I want it all now' mentality that never used to be associated with Saints fans.

Exactly this. Well put, sir.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

My thoughts on today's match (I was sat in Kingsland, near half-way line, high up):

We didn't so much seem to be playing the diamond (4-1-2-1-2) as a 4-3-3 with Tadic (first half) and JWP (2nd half) as the spearhead. The reason I say this is that going forward it was a front three (with Tadic/JWP central) whilst when defending Long and Redmond (later Austin and JRod) tracked back leaving the 'No 10' player (Tadic/JWP) as the one furthest forward. This looked weird, wrong and ineffective. Long and Redmond worked hard but didn't really offer much threat. They also swapped sides frequently. On one occasion, 5 minutes before half time, Long swapped with Tadic (Long going central, Tadic right). 2 minutes later Long scored (surprise, surprise) following a sublime through ball from Davis.

Please, please, please Puel - stop playing Tadic as the furthest player forward. Use Long or Austin; THEY are strikers!

Other than that, we played a tight game, keeping possession and knocking the ball around well enough. We all looked composed at the back, though rarely troubled.

VvD once more looked our most talented player and a great leader. Yoshida also played well. On the flanks, I thought young Matt Targett had a very good game; certainly better than Cedric first half. I was also pleased to see that Pied has a bit of pace and can beat a player well enough.

Romeu played the holding role first half; Hojberg did this job second half, after being one of the 2 in the first. Both looked comfortable in the holding role. When we are hit on the counter the holding CM drops in between the 2 CBs, allowing one of them to go wide. Basically, I would say, with the formation Puel wants us to play, the whole team has to be fluid, switching positions as and when required - although I'm not sure what he made of my favourite piece of play today (barring Long's goal) when Virgil broke forward with the ball at his feet. I just wish he would have shot instead of trying to pass the ball inside.

In conclusion, we looked tidy but not really stretched or tested (don't recall Forster having to save a single shot). However, we looked toothless up front. Don't expect many goals at St Mary's this season based on today's showing.

VvD, Targett, Romeo, Hojberg and Davis all played well. I would add Long, Redmond and Austin to that list, but they seemed hampered by the formation/the way they were asked to play.

Unfortunately, JRod has still to give any slight hint that he will ever be the player he was. In the few performances he put in last season and all those I have seen this pre-season he just doesn't seem to be able to beat/go past a defender as he used to, let alone score the types of goals he was renowned for.

We really do need two new forwards (or one forward, one AM) if we want to finish any higher than mid-table and have a good go in Europe, based on what I witnessed today.

I remember everyone writing JRod off when we first signed him. He is a confidence type, he needs a run in the team and he will come good again.

I remember everyone writing JRod off when we first signed him. He is a confidence type, he needs a run in the team and he will come good again.

I agree with this, to the extent that I think it's more of a confidence issue with J-Rod, as opposed to a fitness/speed issue. Whether or not he gets that confidence back is another matter, as you say he needs a run of games but not sure he'll get them.

Strongly doubt it

100% this, well put.

Coming from the div who crâppéd the bed last Xmas after our poor run of results, ranting and raving about relegation and sacking the manager :lol: For someone who supposedly doesn't post here anymore -I hadnt noticed pal- youve penned a very moving obituary.

Edited by shurlock

Only able to see the highlights - propaganda (showing replays of missed half-chances) which suggests the club were trying to make the game look good.

Unfortunately the video editor who tries to make games look bad and boring was on holiday..

I didn't see Puel's interview but suggest he wanted to concentrate on the players who played in the game and Bertrand didn't..

There is promise there even though it's difficult to tell with friendlies, and I saw a few pulling out of challenges which I wouldn't expect in a competitive match. Atletico still managed a booking and quite a number of fouls. Austin looked strong when challenged for possesion, although he'll be more dangerous further up. Redmond will be fine: the important thing is he looks interested and involved, and that must be a good thing for his development.

Rodriguez & Austin playing for u23's at 7 this evening.

Rodriguez & Austin playing for u23's at 7 this evening.

Might see Jay getting some EFL action with them too to get his sharpness & confidence back.

Wonder if the U23's will play a diamond as well?

-----------------Lewis-----------------

Stephens---Jones---Turnball---Wood

-----------------Reed-----------------

-----------O'Connor Gape-----------

---------------Hesketh---------------

------------Austin J-Rod------------

Might see Jay getting some EFL action with them too to get his sharpness & confidence back.

Wonder if the U23's will play a diamond as well?

-----------------Lewis-----------------

Stephens---Jones---Turnball---Wood

-----------------Reed-----------------

-----------O'Connor Gape-----------

---------------Hesketh---------------

------------Austin J-Rod------------

Interestingly no Isgrove, perhaps he's off? Doesn't seem to have shown much over pre-season to suggest he'll be involved in the first team, & the only way I could see him being saved for Saturday would be if he was starting, which I consider unlikely.

Interestingly no Isgrove, perhaps he's off? Doesn't seem to have shown much over pre-season to suggest he'll be involved in the first team, & the only way I could see him being saved for Saturday would be if he was starting, which I consider unlikely.

Isgrove is an out & out winger. He wouldn't fit the system.

I can see him forging a decent career for himself though - his loan moves have done his reputation the world of good.

Who is the O'Connor fella? Don't recall seeing his name in previous U21/23 squads. Someone from the U18s being fast tracked I guess?

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20160517-thomas-oconnor-professional-contract-3115411.aspx

THOMAS O’CONNOR

D.O.B: 21/04/1999

Position: Central midfielder

O’Connor was born and raised in Ireland and he impressed coaches on trail before making the move to Southampton in 2015.

The midfielder, who played for New Ross Celtic and Wexford County Team, has experience of playing for the Republic of Ireland youth level.

He signed a professional contract with the club towards the end of the 2015/16 season after scoring four goals in 18 appearances for the under-18s as well as playing in three games for the under-21s.