Saints vs Sunderland EFL Cup match thread

Shroppie

Lost count the amount of times he's given the ball away.

Yeah his passing and control has been wayward, but he still looks to be the man most likely to create something from a set-piece. His delivery from that FK right at the end of the half was as good as a striker could hope for.

We signed Boufal and Redmond to go with Austin from January. How many did you want us to sign.

Redmond & Boufal are not strikers, I know puel wants to play them as strikers but that's not their natural position, it might work short term (which it has to a degree) but it will get found out to be a bad idea in my opinion

Redmond & Boufal are not strikers, I know puel wants to play them as strikers but that's not their natural position, it might work short term (which it has to a degree) but it will get found out to be a bad idea in my opinion

They are forwards. We play with three forwards rather than out and out strikers. It is quite common in world football right now and can work well.

Yeah his passing and control has been wayward, but he still looks to be the man most likely to create something from a set-piece. His delivery from that FK right at the end of the half was as good as a striker could hope for.

Need someone who can do more than take free kicks in the middle there. He needs to start contributing more from open play. According to Opta he is currently rated 17th in our squad based on performances. Seeing as we have only played 21 players thus far that is pretty bad.

Seb Haller has 6 goals and 3 assists in 11 games this season. I still think we'll go back for him in January.

I briefly thought we'd do something similar to Austin and sign Berahino on the cheap in January as his contract is expiring, but then I see he's overweight, showing he doesn't really give a toss. Best steer clear of that one. Shame as I thought he could be the next Defoe. WBA should've really taken the money when they were offered it.

I wish JRod could get fully fit and back to his old self but I can't see it. We can't rely on Austin and a misfiring Long forever.

I'd love to see an Olumola goal this half...

Actually looks like we are intentionally trying to avoid getting the ball into a position to have a shot

After Inter a lot of players said "we keep missing our chances" - looks like they see the solution as not to make any chances in the first place!

Yeah but this is basically the under 23s with a guy upfront who has played less than one game in England backed up Fonte and Yoshida against a strong ( for them) Sunderland team. Hardly a surprise its not going great.

Yeah I know, which is why I didn't say anything bad about the players or how it's going... yet it does make me appreciate nonetheless.

Fairly sure this is Sunderlands to lose.