Great Expectations

Lord Duckhunter

Some really interesting and decent comments. Confusing really because all the Puel out threads are full of "we've gone backwards" and disaster mixed with doom and gloom. Yet when people are asked the specific question of their expectations most people seem to agree around mid table . Of course when you add subjective stuff about playing style and the like, then people are a bit more negative, whilst staying sensible in their expectations. I'm surprised there wasn't more doom on this thread, perhaps the "Puel out" brigade don't want to put their heads above the parapet and state a finishing position acceptable to them in case he makes that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some really interesting and decent comments. Confusing really because all the Puel out threads are full of "we've gone backwards" and disaster mixed with doom and gloom. Yet when people are asked the specific question of their expectations most people seem to agree around mid table . Of course when you add subjective stuff about playing style and the like, then people are a bit more negative, whilst staying sensible in their expectations. I'm surprised there wasn't more doom on this thread, perhaps the "Puel out" brigade don't want to put their heads above the parapet and state a finishing position acceptable to them in case he makes that.

Two different questions mate - think most expected 7th as our position once the January transfer window closed

The issue with Puel isn't simply league position - posted this previously but relevant to your post...

My issues with Puel is not that he doesn't have us in the top 6 - in fact I acknowledged that the top 6 was not achievable with our current squad http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...e#.WGuGI5Krxok

The issues I have are -

- His rotation policy - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...g#.WGuG05Krxok

- Our lack of goals and attacking limitations Puel offers us tactically - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...s#.WGuG_JKrxok

- Our horrendous playing style and appalling performances this season - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...)#.WGuHGJKrxok

- The fact so many players are under performing this season - http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...g#.WGuHV5Krxok

- His obsession with Redmond

- His delivery at pre/post matches

- Our exit from Europe and our performances in Europe

- All of the above in spite of having one of the most expensive squads in Europe

I

Lol so you are admitting the poster before was right and you were wrong? First time ever!

Yes Les is contradicting himself now and backtracking but the fact is he said it and you were wrong saying he didn't.

You are such a bellend.

I don't believe we could ever compete for champions league on a regular basis and have never asked us to... I am just saying it is what Les said and now I have proved it..you are saying but yesterday he said something different! So if he says tomorrow he was aiming for league one..that makes what he said yesterday null and void does it?

I would never apologise to a c u n t like you.

sums it up

I'm pretty much falling towards the Puel out side to be honest, I hate the weekly rotation and I hate the boring, predictable, sideways football, I'm just not really convinced if he knows how to impose a team onto another and I think he may be too stubborn to change, or even take on board what the players and fans are saying or want.

That said I do feel he has been let down by a lack of investment by the board, why are we not being associated with young up and coming lower league players, other teams seem to be doing this. He may have realised that the strikers and our attacking play isn't good enough and just being pragmatic, ie if we can't score then make sure we don't lose. Not what I want to see though.

As I said I'm only happy with mid table if it's a transition season, I fully expect the club to be more pro-active in the transfer market, this and next transfer window. We worked so hard to get to where we were last season and it's frustrating to let it all go

We all know players come and go, especially top players, just seems we've taken our eye off the ball a little this year by letting Mane, Wanyama and Pele go with no adequate replacements.

I

Lol so you are admitting the poster before was right and you were wrong? First time ever!

Yes Les is contradicting himself now and backtracking but the fact is he said it and you were wrong saying he didn't.

You are such a bellend.

I don't believe we could ever compete for champions league on a regular basis and have never asked us to... I am just saying it is what Les said and now I have proved it..you are saying but yesterday he said something different! So if he says tomorrow he was aiming for league one..that makes what he said yesterday null and void does it?

I would never apologise to a c u n t like you.

I think you're struggling here. Take a breath and calm down.

It started with Batman saying Les expects 6th this season - that quote from yesterday shows he doesn't.

If Les comes out tomorrow and says he expects us to be L1 (why?) then we can assess that on its own terms, and yes it negates everything he said before. If Les starts talking about just avoiding relegation or whatever then we'd all reassess, I certainly would.

I've no doubt he has been more specific yesterday and talked about ninth, eighth etc because he's getting a bit sick of people using previous aspirational statements as a stick to beat him with.

But obviously for some that's not enough so let's just do the yeah-but yeah-but yeah-but he said it before. Heaven forbid anyone would want to put that stick down.

I think you're struggling here. Take a breath and calm down.

It started with Batman saying Les expects 6th this season - that quote from yesterday shows he doesn't.

If Les comes out tomorrow and says he expects us to be L1 (why?) then we can assess that on its own terms, and yes it negates everything he said before. If Les starts talking about just avoiding relegation or whatever then we'd all reassess, I certainly would.

I've no doubt he has been more specific yesterday and talked about ninth, eighth etc because he's getting a bit sick of people using previous aspirational statements as a stick to beat him with.

But obviously for some that's not enough so let's just do the yeah-but yeah-but yeah-but he said it before. Heaven forbid anyone would want to put that stick down.

but I was under the impression that you said Reed had not said about CL football?

Les has repositioned himself and Fred was correct you cant then erase the statements that were put to us before

but I was under the impression that you said Reed had not said about CL football?

Les has repositioned himself and Fred was correct you cant then erase the statements that were put to us before

I've never said he's never mentioned Champions League football, but I have said before never talks about it without also talking about what we will and won't do - we're going to do it our way (not competing financially with the big clubs), and he always talks about as being best of the rest. He said all that in the longer version of that interview that Saint-Fred links to but all anyone wants to see is the words Champions League and then get into beating Les with the stick.

You can all reassess what he said yesterday versus what you think he said before, fill your boots.

But I fear certain people will be repost that link to that BBC article for eons to come.

Or perhaps you have demonised opposing opinions in your head and posters are actually more reasonable than you assumed?

I've never said he's never mentioned Champions League football, but I have said before never talks about it without also talking about what we will and won't do - we're going to do it our way (not competing financially with the big clubs), and he always talks about as being best of the rest. He said all that in the longer version of that interview that Saint-Fred links to but all anyone wants to see is the words Champions League and then get into beating Les with the stick.

You can all reassess what he said yesterday versus what you think he said before, fill your boots.

But I fear certain people will be repost that link to that BBC article for eons to come.

Wincing as I read this effort. All over the place. 0.5/10.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32510554

This is a direct quote from Les Reed, yesterday.

"It’s really important that we think long term so that we are still competing at sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth in the league for the long term and we are not going up and down like some of the other clubs around us."

A direct quote published yesterday. Not a year ago. Not with a headline written by a BBC sub editor. Yesterday.

Not made up to suit my agenda. Actual words he said, published yesterday.

Read them. Read them again.

You dinlows can get upset about horrible old Les promising us the Champions League but look. He's not any more.

That's what you want to hear right? There you go. He's said it so you can stop getting all furious that we're not challenging for fourth.

Happy to accept your apologies when you're ready.

Your on a bash fest because Reed has changed his tune and your after an apology?

Or perhaps you have demonised opposing opinions in your head and posters are actually more reasonable than you assumed?

Maybe you're right, but there has been a lot of hyperbole on other threads. I find it strange that people making the most fuss about going backwards under Puel seem unwilling to post what an acceptable finish is to them. Personally I think it's because if Puel achieves it they'll have to STFU. Far better to stick to nothing measurable so they can continue to moan.

As far as this season goes, a few decent wins and a midtable finish is fine although our form and playing style at the moment may suggest that this may even be a bit too aspirational. Overall though, the quality of the squad and out manner of play is not good enough and we've not really taking maximum advantage of recent "success" in line with he proposed aim to be the best way f the rest, ready to pounce.

You asked what peoples' expectations are (now). They will have dropped as the team's form has. So your comment (in bold) is somewhat self-fulfilling. I had expected us to win something or come very close. Now I expect we should survive in the league. I had hoped we would win something this year or next. Now, particularly in view of Reed's resetting of what the club's goals are I expect that the club will sooner rather than later change ownership. Like many, I fail to understand quite why people would take a win at all costs. That would only happen were it a necessity and I would expect/hope that once that were no longer the case that good football would once again be the norm. If I want to watch **** I can go down the local pitches to see hopeless idiots who don't have a clue.

This is a direct quote from Les Reed, yesterday.

"It’s really important that we think long term so that we are still competing at sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth in the league for the long term and we are not going up and down like some of the other clubs around us."

A direct quote published yesterday. Not a year ago. Not with a headline written by a BBC sub editor. Yesterday.

Not made up to suit my agenda. Actual words he said, published yesterday.

Read them. Read them again.

You dinlows can get upset about horrible old Les promising us the Champions League but look. He's not any more.

That's what you want to hear right? There you go. He's said it so you can stop getting all furious that we're not challenging for fourth.

Happy to accept your apologies when you're ready.

Ah so it doesn't matter what someone says in the past, what they say this week is what they truly mean?

Admit it mate you done ****ed up.

Ah so it doesn't matter what someone says in the past, what they say this week is what they truly mean?

Admit it mate you done ****ed up.

Never been married then :p

TBF that approach has worked well for a lot of players the last few years....

Edited by doddisalegend

You asked what peoples' expectations are (now). They will have dropped as the team's form has. So your comment (in bold) is somewhat self-fulfilling.

I didn't particularly mean now, just what do people expect us to achieve with this group of players. I could have asked ,had another manager come and had these players, what position would people expect us to finish? Bearing in mind how good the top 6 have been this season

If I was the manager and coach I'd be aiming for 8th with this group of players.

If I happened to nick 6th or 7th then I'd be extremely happy.

Bare minimum of 12th or I'd expect to be sacked.

We must remember the Europe situation. We threw that away. For me that means he needs 9th minimum or he might get sacked. Depends how ambitious the club are and how they see it. He might get away with 10th if he's extremely lucky.

At the begging of the season I would have said top 10, out of the Europa group. Anything in the other cups would be a bonus.

Puel decided to come in and change the way we play (formation and tactics). At the moment I feel we are further away from his style 'clicking' than we were in the first 4 or 5 games. Now that he apparently has more time to spend on the training pitch, by the end of the season I expect:

us to be playing confidently in our new formation

the midfield to contribute more in an attacking sense (4+ goals)

us to concede fewer goals (pro rata).

I didn't particularly mean now, just what do people expect us to achieve with this group of players. I could have asked ,had another manager come and had these players, what position would people expect us to finish? Bearing in mind how good the top 6 have been this season

To emphasise your point the PL top 6 have dropped just 51 points to bottom 14. At same stage last year it was 106.

I would say a good season would have been the best of the rest but an average season/esp given the changes in manger and players is 12-8th. A decent cup run which we have had with a semi is okay.

Being knocked out of the Europa at group is below par and we wait to see in the FA Cup.

The reason for the Puel out comments is the style of play and the unrest around the club. I do not think the unrest is all Puel, I think a particular head has clearly become too big for the club since winning the Euro's. However the sleep inducing performances with little excitement are the biggest issue for me.

My expectations for this season, great or otherwise:

Good Europa League run, qualifying from the group stage

League - between 8-12th

Cups - good run so SF meets that's met so far

Other expectations:

Redmond would be no better than average

We'd struggle for goals

(These two have met expectation then)

I also expected :

Decent passing, attacking football

& to be able to rely on Fonte in the dressing room to help team spirit

I certainly think the EL exit, and manner of performances have influenced most people's sense of disappointment.

Maybe you're right, but there has been a lot of hyperbole on other threads. I find it strange that people making the most fuss about going backwards under Puel seem unwilling to post what an acceptable finish is to them. Personally I think it's because if Puel achieves it they'll have to STFU. Far better to stick to nothing measurable so they can continue to moan.

I don't think thats true. There seems to be a consensus that people are generally happy with a mid table finish and I think everyone is realistic enough to be satisfied with that. For some people though (myself included) football is about more than solely league position. A lot of my income is spent on football and I want some entertainment as well. It's the style of play that is important as well as league position. Puel would have a hell of a lot of leeway right now if we had performed more stylishly over the season.

At the begging of the season I would have said top 10, out of the Europa group. Anything in the other cups would be a bonus.

Puel decided to come in and change the way we play (formation and tactics). At the moment I feel we are further away from his style 'clicking' than we were in the first 4 or 5 games. Now that he apparently has more time to spend on the training pitch, by the end of the season I expect:

us to be playing confidently in our new formation

the midfield to contribute more in an attacking sense (4+ goals)

us to concede fewer goals (pro rata).

I think that's a realistic goal. I'd even take a lower finishing position if by the close of the season I could see progress, a settled 11 and a bit of attacking, exciting play.

The Europa League exit was the killer blow for this season. Looked so promising and never really thought we would not get out if the group but gone now and will get over it.

Whenever we go on a bad run you start looking downwards it is easy to obsess about being as high as you can be i.e. above West Brom, Stoke etc.but Everton is the one really want to beat.

But position not so important as optimism for long term and being convinced Claude is the right man.

We have been spoilt and we have far too many entitled fans now who think it is so straightforward to be better than all the other teams. They have unrealistic expectations and truly don't ever think they will be happy whatever. They should be appreciative that we consistently manage to do it and that many clubs look on with envy. In their fantasy world though that is accepting of mediocrity - they don't know the meaning of the word.

Agree with every word of this. The target at the beginning of the season was Europe through the league, Europa League knockouts and a decent run in one or both of the domestic cups but, crucially, no great shame to miss them. Europa was the biggest disappointment and would be compounded by a bottom half finish, but there's all to play for. We can be pleased with the League Cup even if we go out at this stage, the FA Cup is an open question and seventh is not beyond our grasp, which could mean Europe if fortune favours us.

Longer term it's about adapting to Puel, getting the youth in and winning a trophy.

Edited by DuncanRG

If I was the manager and coach I'd be aiming for 8th with this group of players.

If I happened to nick 6th or 7th then I'd be extremely happy.

Bare minimum of 12th or I'd expect to be sacked.

We must remember the Europe situation. We threw that away. For me that means he needs 9th minimum or he might get sacked. Depends how ambitious the club are and how they see it. He might get away with 10th if he's extremely lucky.

****ing hell, you're a hard task master. 13th and you'll get the sack that's only if you get the club out of an EL group. If not sacked for 10th. Thank god you're not running the club because which managers going to take a chance blooding nippers if a 13th place finish gets him the boot?

Agree with every word of this. The target at the beginning of the season was Europe through the league, Europa League knockouts and a decent run in one or both of the domestic cups but, crucially, no great shame to miss them. Europa was the biggest disappointment and would be compounded by a bottom half finish, but there's all to play for. We can be pleased with the League Cup even if we go out at this stage, the FA Cup is an open question and seventh is not beyond our grasp, which could mean Europe if fortune favours us.

Longer term it's about adapting to Puel, getting the youth in and winning a trophy.

See there is the issue a lot of modern football fans don't do longer term they want it all and they want it now. Giving players, managers or clubs time to get things right isn't really on the agenda for most.

See there is the issue a lot of modern football fans don't do longer term they want it all and they want it now. Giving players, managers or clubs time to get things right isn't really on the agenda for most.

to be fair, saints success under Markus and his Daughter is built on everything BUT stability and steadiness.

Buy success or build success?

The 'Southampton Way' has always been about developing half of the players in our team. Nothing has changed, just expectation.

Well done Southampton in sticking to your principles.

Devein get players takes time. Please find some patience and get behind your team.

Expectations at the start of the season for the playing side were 9th in the league and European football after Christmas.

Any domestic cup run is a bonus, depending on the luck of the draw.

As for the club, I expected to see more academy players in the first team playing a part which has happened.

The disappointing aspect is losing our identity in playing style. There was a big fan fare in the introduction of the Southampton Way which included a style of play which was entertaining and individual to us. I feel we've moved far away from this to be back in the pack and hope it can be put back on track in the second half of the season. The coaches need to get it together a bit more.

Glad to see Ryan Seager back playing and scoring.

i'd be content with top half. We've enjoyed a decent run in the league cup or whatever they call it nowadays. One distinguishing feature of this year over last year is all the "big" teams are playing much better, i.e. Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea have all improved significantly. It's a whole new ball of wax this year. The "glass ceiling" as Les and the Evertonians like to describe it, seems to be have been reset firmly in place.

Well put, eventually the bigger teams find their footings and normality returns once again, and its a scramble for the odd out of place also run teams to find themselves in the limelight .

• 4 months later...

So now we have facts rather than opinions to judge the season , and we can look back on this thread to see how the season panned out, and see who was happy with 8th.

Facts

First full seaso in English football, Poch 8th and no cup final

Fist full season in English football Koeman 7th no cup final

Claude 8th plus cup final .

As my old man used to tell me, you can't argue with facts. Opinion is opinion, but facts are facts. Well done Claude Puel, we'd have all taken that in Aug

So now we have facts rather than opinions to judge the season , and we can look back on this thread to see how the season panned out, and see who was happy with 8th.

Facts

As my old man used to tell me, you can't argue with facts. Opinion is opinion, but facts are facts. Well done Claude Puel, we'd have all taken that in Aug

Can't argue with that, no.

But are you confident going into next season ?

Facts

True, and it is a fortunate result, but it was with the worst home record of the last 5 seasons in the premier league, and is the worst overall record of the debut seasons of the last three managers.

I am in two minds very much, things need to improve, but i am not sure how and what and whether Puel should be part of it. I don't like high managerial turnover, but at the same time, if there is an attractive option, it's worth keeping options open.

Facts

No doubt he's a good enough manager to scrape top half. Unfortunately, his teams are significantly less entertaining compared to what we've had these last 7 years. If people don't mind that then that's their business. I can't justify paying £600 for inferior football I'm afraid. Same price, worse team.

you can't argue with that at all - but sadly, they style of play at home is what will do for Puel. Simply not good enough - very little entertainment and a very defensive style of play. Way too conservative - if your're winning (like Koeman did last season when there was awful football for 1/2 the season but nicking 1-0s) then all will be well. Lose or not score and people won't (rightly) put up with it.

I was back in the UK and took in the City game and was bored beyond belief the whole game - we never went for it once in the game. I would say having to suffer that style of football every home game would seriously make me question whether I wanted to renew a season ticket.

Its a shame as he seems a thoroughly decent bloke and has brought some of the younger players on a lot. 8th and a Cup Final would normally be considered a success - but the style of play detracts from these stats.

Please not SIlva though!

Facts

Hope Les is reading this pal.

We got to 8th on the back of everyone else being equally ****, it really isn't an achievement to shout from the roof tops about this year. I'm not quite sure how we've done it though.

Spot on. People on here banging on about it as an achievement is as irritating as citing a League Cup final that we lost as some kind of job saving achievement for Puel. I applaud him for taking the LC seriously but that's probably about it. The strength of team we faced away at Arsenal in the quarters shows how little stock the big teams put in that competition. None of that is to say I didn't enjoy the day though.

10th but critically performances and scoring have to improve.

For the first in my life, I might pay attention to our GD as a proxy for any progress. Likewise it would be nice to see us come from behind and win games, our midfielders chip in with more goals and the academy players make a greater impact (though the latter is a relative bright spot of Puel's record to date).

Going far in the cup is a bonus but no more since luck plays such a large role.

Still stand by this.

We got to 8th on the back of everyone else being equally ****, it really isn't an achievement to shout from the roof tops about this year. I'm not quite sure how we've done it though.

Spot on.

We've finished 23 points behind 6th place, and a woeful 17 (I believe, might be wrong) goals at home in the league this season. Simply not good enough. We need a change of direction back towards the high intensity pressing that we had under Pochettino, not sure who is going to give us that as a manager.

Facts

IMG_6644.JPG