Other Premier League Transfers - Deadline Day

Lighthouse

What has redmond done at saints thus far to be described as superb? He has potential but he's had an extended run in the team now and has been nothing special.

Was our top scorer in the league last season with 7 goals. Of course Gabbi only coming in the second half of the season and Austins injury were a big part of that but the lad does know where the back of the net is at least. Superb may be an overstatement but he's making a contribution and has potential to improve whereas others are clearly underperforming.

Was our top scorer in the league last season with 7 goals. Of course Gabbi only coming in the second half of the season and Austins injury were a big part of that but the lad does know where the back of the net is at least. Superb may be an overstatement but he's making a contribution and has potential to improve whereas others are clearly underperforming.

The fact that our most potent attacker contributed 7 goals and 1 assist in 37 games (in other words a meaningful score-altering contribution every 4.6 games) speaks volumes about how very dull we've been to watch of late.

And no one denied that but he clearly hasn't been superb so far- far from it.

What has redmond done at saints thus far to be described as superb? He has potential but he's had an extended run in the team now and has been nothing special.

Agreed, would love to see how good Boufal would be now if he played as much as Redmond last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, you wonder how Reed, & Ross spend their time, or if they watch some of the same slow plodding performances in front of goal that we do.

Ross has a good handle on Scottish players, do I'd assume we decided against it (or don't have the cash).

This one seemed similar to the Chalobah in the "no brainer" stakes.

2016/17

Gray 30 Premier League games... 1 goal

Redmond 37 Premier League games... 7 goals

:mcinnes: :mcinnes: :mcinnes:

Gray played the full 90 minutes... TWICE

Redmond played the full 90 24x

Gray played the equivalent of just 11 full games last season in the league.

Redmond got over 3x longer on the pitch and played a lot of games as our main striker when Puel decided he was the "new Henry"

It is puzzling what point you are trying to make, you've just highlighted Gray wasn't deemed good enough to play last season for a team that finished below the team Redmond played for! :rolleyes:

lhtyoFj.gif

HAMMERS PULL OUT OF CARVALHO DEAL

West Ham have pulled out of a deal to sign William Carvalho from Sporting Lisbon, according to Sky Sources.

The Hammers have decided to walk away after Sporting refused to lower their £40m valuation for the Portugal midfielder.

West Ham also have concerns about Carvalho's fitness.

A senior source at the club said: " He just got too expensive and you have to say no sometimes. Also, he's not trained for three weeks. He has done no preseason training - so he might have needed 4-6 weeks to be ready to play for us."

I'd say I was surprised, but I'm not.

Hell of a signing by WBA to get Oliver Burke for £15m.

Interesting the perspective that people have on other clubs signings. £15m for a player with one season at Championship level only making 25 appearances, before basically sitting on the bench in Germany for a season. Was a great prospect, and may well turn out to be a great signing but a bit of risk I would think.

Imagine the uproar on here if Saints had signed someone of that profile. To compare with Redmond, who is 2 years older but had 174 appearances for Birmingham & Norwich, and we only paid £10m for him.

And no one denied that but he clearly hasn't been superb so far- far from it.

Fair enough, most posts mentioning him around here have been of the 'Not good enough' for us mentality so I just think it's worth pointing out he did more than most last season. Like I said agree that the word 'Superb' is a bit much but so is all the rampant negativity regarding him.

Interesting the perspective that people have on other clubs signings. £15m for a player with one season at Championship level only making 25 appearances, before basically sitting on the bench in Germany for a season. Was a great prospect, and may well turn out to be a great signing but a bit of risk I would think.

Imagine the uproar on here if Saints had signed someone of that profile. To compare with Redmond, who is 2 years older but had 174 appearances for Birmingham & Norwich, and we only paid £10m for him.

I agree, he's been poor for Scotland when given a chance, woeful defensively in wide area's, but occasionally dangerous with his pace on the break. I think he needs to play through the middle where he has less emphasis to get up and down with defensive duties. He didn't manage to break through at Leipzig and even towards the end of his time there, barely made it onto the pitch most games. There is massive potential, but he left Forest way to early and should have stayed on there last season imo. Time will tell if he will live up to the hype, but i have my doubts.

It is puzzling what point you are trying to make, you've just highlighted Gray wasn't deemed good enough to play last season for a team that finished below the team Redmond played for! :rolleyes:

What's puzzling for you? You posted up some playing stats in some attempt to show that Redmond was better than Gray.

I was simply pointing out that he didnt play 30 games as you posted and highlighted. He played in 30 games but most of those were for a few minutes. He played the full 90 just 2 of those 30 games.

I havent put forward Gray as a player to sign or offered an opinion on him either way, just for the purposes of debate thought its worth posting the detail behind your silly and misleading "evidence" post.

What's puzzling for you? You posted up some playing stats in some attempt to show that Redmond was better than Gray.

I was simply pointing out that he didnt play 30 games as you posted and highlighted. He played in 30 games but most of those were for a few minutes. He played the full 90 just 2 of those 30 games.

I havent put forward Gray as a player to sign or offered an opinion on him either way, just for the purposes of debate thought its worth posting the detail behind your silly and misleading "evidence" post.

yep but you do like to turn the knife on Redmond as much as you can. Therefore I can understand why posters think you are point scoring

yep but you do like to turn the knife on Redmond as much as you can. Therefore I can understand why posters think you are point scoring

I do? Not posted anything on Redmond for ages.

Didnt rate him as the new Henry obviously but as a squad player no issues.

Just as i post watching the live stream and he was through on goal. 10-12 yards out at decent angle..... Shoots wide.

Hes bang average but wasn't aware i posted much on him.

Don't bite pal. He's master of it. Good to have you back.

Here's a random shout - David Villa. 35, recalled by Spain, younger than Zlatan? Still fit and scoring. Not our type of signing but we could do with an experienced goalscorer with the chances we create. Would absolutely love to see him here for a season.

Another I wouldn't mind is Mirallas. Overlooked at Everton, can grab a few goals, think he'd do well for us. I like our policy of younger players on the way up, but don't think it helps to rigidly stick to that exclusively.

Would take either at the moment - especially Mirallas who would be great for us - but they will both be on huge wage packets.

I wonder who West Ham will be looking at as a replacement for Bilic?

I reckon they'll got for Benitez. Can they go one better than us and tempt Tuchel (I reckon he'll hold out for Arsenal, personally)?

They'll probably say they're after Alegri or Zindane, and then settle for Dyche.

Kevin Wimmer to join #SCFC from Tottenham in £15m deal | @JPercyTelegraph reports

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/08/27/kevin-wimmer-join-stoke-city-tottenham-15m-deal/

How many CB's do Stoke want? They're stockpiling them.

Shawcross, Zouma, Martins-Indi and now Wimmer. All deserved first choice players at a club like stoke. Good luck keeping those guys happy!

29 year old Jonny Evans is worth more than £23 million in the new mad transfer market...

Jonny Evans: Leicester City have a second offer for West Brom defender rejected

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41071705

The numbers WBA dropped in the media are around £30m. He'll end up going for around that price I'd have thought.

Got to try and accept that £30m these days is what a £10m signing used to be.

I see that FdB is looking for Jose Fonte to help 'save' his job already at Palace. :lol:

Doesn't surprise me, West Ham wanted to ship out Snodgrass and Fonte at the start of the window - they've already got rid of one.

The club made the right call on Fonte, no matter how unpopular it was at the time. It would have been mental to give him more than 2 years, but seemingly WHU are mental and were the only ones willing to offer it. He should have taken our offer, played in our first team and helped with the development of Stephens etc - then continued his plans to go into coaching with Kelvin Davis.

Bit of a dumb arse move Jose.

They are also in talks to sign Renato Sanches from Bayern so that definitely is planning for life without Coutinho..

They don't need Coutinho anyway, they know that and have just been holding out to force up the price and payment terms.

Borussia showed them the way to do it with Dembelé, cos frankly 100+ million euros for him is just a gift from a club desperate to sign someone after Neymar blew them out. Biggest winners there ? Rennes who will pocket somewhere around 30 milion euros for

a player they sold for about 10a season ago.

They don't need Coutinho anyway, they know that and have just been holding out to force up the price and payment terms.

Borussia showed them the way to do it with Dembelé, cos frankly 100+ million euros for him is just a gift from a club desperate to sign someone after Neymar blew them out.

Barca have handled this so poorly to be honest. Dembele is going to be a top player, but I wouldn't put him int he Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo bracket - don't think he'll get there. That's why they overpaid, just because they felt they needed to. To be fair, they had been tracking him for a while but more as an addition. He's not going to replace Neymar at all.

They'd have been better off going after Dybala or even biting the bullet and resigning Sanchez.

Barca have handled this so poorly to be honest. Dembele is going to be a top player, but I wouldn't put him int he Neymar/Messi/Ronaldo bracket - don't think he'll get there. That's why they overpaid, just because they felt they needed to. To be fair, they had been tracking him for a while but more as an addition. He's not going to replace Neymar at all.

They'd have been better off going after Dybala or even biting the bullet and resigning Sanchez.

We'll see, I'd not be surprised if the career of Dembelé at Barca turns out to be short lived. Looks like a bit of a trouble maker in the making and could be bad news. He just stopped turning up at Dortmund once he heard of Barca's interest. Apparently he receives advice from his inner circle that isn't always the best. Still it got him what he wanted I suppose.