The small things in life that annoy you

whelk

52 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

So, to be fair, I do that myself. Apologies for annoying anyone. I don’t do the yes, no thing though.

I have to admit to an "if I'm honest" or "to be honest" tic. I consider myself an intellectual pigmy.

9 hours ago, Klaus Schwab said:

Constantly nodding to each other as they pass. It’s like an acknowledgment from 1 man with a small todger to another.

Owned a few old VW Beetles down there the years and always got weirdos waving as they owned the same cars as we drove past. A steely gaze past them was sent back.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2022 at 15:43, cloggy saint said:

The incessant and pointless use of 'to be fair'. 

It’s the new ‘to be honest’. I always wanted to ask people ‘were you not being honest before then?’

I can understand using ‘to be fair’ if a strong opinion has prefaced it and the speaker wants to balance their comment. Really, it’s just another variant of ‘erm’.

Edited by saint1977
Spelling

3 hours ago, saint1977 said:

It’s the new ‘to be honest’. I always wanted to ask people ‘were you not being honest before then?’

I can understand using ‘to be fair’ if a strong opinion has prefaced it and the speaker wants to balance their comment. Really, it’s just another variant of ‘erm’.

Exactly, the only correct use for tbf is as a counter-point, not as a pointless phrase to start or end any sentence.

22 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Airport drop off fees, there was an article on them on the Beeb this morning. Wont be long before someone gets killed in a traffic accident because they were dropped off on a roundabout or lay-by, 1/4 mile from the terminal.

Indeed. Absolute bastards 

For the last few seasons, there’s been a lad near to me in the Kingsland who gets incredibly irate at the ref. Standing and screaming, “Lino! Lino!” at every single decision. Foaming at the mouth, spit flying. His old man telling him to sit down as he was embarrassing them. I thought he was annoying. 

It’s only been two home games and I miss him. I didn’t know how much I needed to hear that this ref was a joke until he was gone. 

Edited by percy windham

The ads on this site. 

I’m all for monetising sites through ads and affiliates etc and do so myself, but when you’ve constantly gotta close full screen ads to read threads on saints web and it gets incredibly frustrating. 

Any chance they can be ditched and leave the other ads as they are? 

55 minutes ago, Klaus Schwab said:

The ads on this site. 

I’m all for monetising sites through ads and affiliates etc and do so myself, but when you’ve constantly gotta close full screen ads to read threads on saints web and it gets incredibly frustrating. 

Any chance they can be ditched and leave the other ads as they are? 

Really? I've never seen a single ad here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Having to pick up a load of cat shit from your front lawn when you don't have a cat.

Yeah, user name confuses this post.

I always assumed it was due to your goalkeeping prowess, not that you like to shit in peoples gardens?

On 10/09/2022 at 21:05, cloggy saint said:

People who refer to Tesco as Tescos.

Not sure why that's a problem?

Surely if you are referring to the shop called 'Tesco' you would say 'I'm going to Tesco's' with the apostrophe and 's' added to show possession - i.e. you are going to the shop that is owned by Tesco?

In the same way, if you were going round to the house belonging to your mate called 'Dave' you would say 'I'm going to Dave's' rather than 'I'm going to Dave'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely if you are referring to the shop called 'Tesco' you would say 'I'm going to Tesco's' with the apostrophe and 's' added to show possession - i.e. you are going to the shop that is owned by Tesco?

In the same way, if you were going round to the house belonging to your mate called 'Dave' you would say 'I'm going to Dave's' rather than 'I'm going to Dave'.

( /Engage MLG mode )

But do you say " I'm going to ASDA's" ?

( /Disengage MLG mode )

On 10/09/2022 at 15:12, The Cat said:

Having to pick up a load of cat shit from your front lawn when you don't have a cat.

I'm sure you're aware of ownership laws and your responsibility to politely return it to the owners of the cat?

If you don't know which one it was, anyone who owns a cat nearby qualifies, if they don't have a letterbox, where they walk by their car is good.

43 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No. Do you go to Aldi's? Lidl's? Waitrose's?

30 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Again, no.

Seems odd that you are arguing with the English language!

Even more odd that it annoys you when people use it correctly.

https://guides.lib.uoguelph.ca/c.php?g=696372&p=4999533#:~:text=2.-,Use an apostrophe when showing possession,see guideline %233 below).

2. Use an apostrophe when showing possession

When showing possession, add apostrophe “s” (’s) to the “owner” word. If the plural of the word is formed by adding an "s" (for example, cats), place the apostrophe after the "s" 

In all the cases you've mentioned, the physical 'shop' belongs to the company that owns it, therefore an apostrophe and 's' is required.

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

https://guides.lib.uoguelph.ca/c.php?g=696372&p=4999533#:~:text=2.-,Use an apostrophe when showing possession,see guideline %233 below).

In all the cases you've mentioned, the physical 'shop' belongs to the company that owns it, therefore an apostrophe and 's' is required.

Not if it’s a trade mark.

7 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Do you shop at H&M's or Primark's, maybe Harods's?  Do you eat at Burger King's or maybe Pizza Hut's?