Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Some right wet fannies on here. 

On another day we win that game, if we had someone else up front. 

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Wet fannies?  Fuck off.  I pay good money to watch the same turgid shit week in week out.

Garrett wars :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Which is why RH should have kicked up in the summer and said ‘if we don’t sign a frontline striker before the end the win down there is a significant risk of being relegated’. That would turned the screw on SR and in turn on Semmens. Astonishing at the end of the window that the club didn’t seem bothered about leaving AA (2 goals last season), Che (decent super striker) and Mara (very few senior games) as the forward options.

How on earth can you forget to buy a first choice striker? If your first choices don’t come off, beat Everton to Maupay or get a couple of loans in as we did with Broja. Too passive by far and I was a non-football member of SFC staff I’d be looking for another job pronto before May. What was the level of cuts in 2005 - 50%? The club did not need an academy LB and RW from City, and it didn’t need to sell the only other DMC. Added to the striker debacle it’s staggering ineptitude. 

Apparently it’s the fans fault for being arrogant, not singing enough happy corporate songs and responding to away fans in home areas against the clubs own ground regulations. The board will have lots of time to reflect on their actions next season when the Rotherham home game only gets 14000 and the break even is 23k per match, because they and Blackmore have alienated the core fanbase so much that we don’t want anything to do with them.

SR need to get a grip, stop playing with second division clubs in Turkey and take an interest in the supposed club at the head of their network which will be also a second tier club with COVID loans around its neck. Find themselves a Kompany figure, acknowledge the summer was a disaster and build some momentum with the fans. I think Semmens and Blackmore lose 500 fans each time they start the small club, lucky to to be in the PL rubbish. Lads, if you want to club together after you’ve been sacked, you can buy Sholing. They ARE a small club. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

So can a dry fanny please let us know when this "another day" happens? Seems to be the same tepid, turgid, slow, back back hoof every single game...

• Like 5

Maybe we should stop singing songs like, "we're going to win the cup!".

Maybe to the tune of opportunities by the pet shop boys:

We'll buy some kids,

Then sell them off,

Let's make lots of money,

We can't pass the ball,

I've forgot what's a goal,

Let's make lots of...back back hoof...MONEY!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Ian Branfoot Mk2

Don’t agree with that assessment.

Branfoot had the footballing genius of Le Tiss at his prime available to him but chose to try and freeze him out.

Branfoot also had a group of players who you could rely on to put the effort in.

Compare that with the shit Ralph has at his disposal.

That’s not to say RH is without fault in selection and tactics but don’t think he ranks in the Branfoot league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So can a dry fanny please let us know when this "another day" happens? Seems to be the same tepid, turgid, slow, back back hoof every single game...

The elusive “another day..”.

Seem to remember many of these being promised in 2004/5, and then again under Poortvliet. 

9 hours ago, Badger said:

Don’t agree with that assessment.

Branfoot had the footballing genius of Le Tiss at his prime available to him but chose to try and freeze him out.

Branfoot also had a group of players who you could rely on to put the effort in.

Compare that with the shit Ralph has at his disposal.

That’s not to say RH is without fault in selection and tactics but don’t think he ranks in the Branfoot league. 

When you say shit, most of our starting line up would easily be sold to the prem when we are relegated..

Bazunu, Salisu, ABK, Livramento, DCC, KwP, JwP, Lavia, Adams would be snapped up by the premier league/top flight.

S Armstrong, Aribo, AMN probably would.

RH is now becoming one of the worst managers' we have had in modern times.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

When you say shit, most of our starting line up would easily be sold to the prem when we are relegated..

Bazunu, Salisu, ABK, Livramento, DCC, KwP, JwP, Lavia, Adams would be snapped up by the premier league/top flight.

Yep, our team is easily a mid-table team I believe with a competent manager.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Which is why RH should have kicked up in the summer and said ‘if we don’t sign a frontline striker before the end the win down there is a significant risk of being relegated’. That would turned the screw on SR and in turn on Semmens. Astonishing at the end of the window that the club didn’t seem bothered about leaving AA (2 goals last season), Che (decent super striker) and Mara (very few senior games) as the forward options.

How on earth can you forget to buy a first choice striker? If your first choices don’t come off, beat Everton to Maupay or get a couple of loans in as we did with Broja. Too passive by far and I was a non-football member of SFC staff I’d be looking for another job pronto before May. What was the level of cuts in 2005 - 50%? The club did not need an academy LB and RW from City, and it didn’t need to sell the only other DMC. Added to the striker debacle it’s staggering ineptitude. 

Apparently it’s the fans fault for being arrogant, not singing enough happy corporate songs and responding to away fans in home areas against the clubs own ground regulations. The board will have lots of time to reflect on their actions next season when the Rotherham home game only gets 14000 and the break even is 23k per match, because they and Blackmore have alienated the core fanbase so much that we don’t want anything to do with them.

SR need to get a grip, stop playing with second division clubs in Turkey and take an interest in the supposed club at the head of their network which will be also a second tier club with COVID loans around its neck. Find themselves a Kompany figure, acknowledge the summer was a disaster and build some momentum with the fans. I think Semmens and Blackmore lose 500 fans each time they start the small club, lucky to to be in the PL rubbish. Lads, if you want to club together after you’ve been sacked, you can buy Sholing. They ARE a small club. 

That’s a hard hitting post but there’s a fair amount of truth in it. As the days go by my faith in SD diminishes. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Which is why RH should have kicked up in the summer and said ‘if we don’t sign a frontline striker before the end the win down there is a significant risk of being relegated’.

How do you know he didn't do exactly that? He mentioned multiple times we were getting someone in. He clearly thought we were and clearly thought it was needed. We didn't. We can blame Ralph for a lot, but not for being responsible for conducting transfer activity.

Edited by Greenridge
typo.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

How do you know he didn't do exactly that? He mentioned multiple times we were getting someone in. He clearly thought we were and clearly thought it was needed/ We didn't. We can blame Ralph for a lot but not for being responsible for conducting transfer activity.

I don’t blame him for the manpower at his disposal, I blame him for the shit formations and team selections, along with the boring tactics he employs.

• Like 7

My gut feeling now is this. The club's perception is they have critically let Ralph down in the transfer market, which is true, and will attempt to address this in January and let him continue. The World Cup break is possibly going to save his arse? 

Edited by Toussaint

16 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Just a thought and 100% not gossip.

Strange to see many squad players in the B match yesterday. Was that an opportunity for someone to look at squad players who could be coming in to replace Ralph during the World Cup break?

I'd like to believe this but don't think so. Minutes for fringe players and those returning from injury. Think we are sleepwalking into relegation and the post above is probably closer to the board's lethargy/incompetence, although not sure why people think they will be successful in acquiring a top striker when we are in a more parlous league position than before. Ho hum.

13 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

The menopause???

If that’s the case then I understand when Ralph is making some slow, irrational decisions. 

Coupled with some spontaneous outbursts of crying. See below 

Happy Winner GIF by Pitshanger Dynamo

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Yep, our team is easily a mid-table team I believe with a competent manager.

I agree that with one more win - 3 points - we are exactly that - a mid table team. I do not agree that Ralph is an incompetent manager though. I think he is very good to excellent - for Saints. I think our criteria must vary.

MY criteria are that we have assembled possibly the highest potential squad I've seen for decades. 

One of Ralphs job is to take a beer money player and get champagne quality play out of him  He is NOT incompetent at that. The opposite. Very effective. BETTER RESULTS, - which is what we all want, will follow squad maturity. Or not life suks that way sometimes. Between now and then - win or lose - we have inevitable transition pain. Its a bxtch huh?  There is no definitive "WHEN BY" date with this. Transition to player and squad maturity to psychological resilience , will take time and that means variable results and performances. Its part of process. Progress is never linear.  Especially at Saints . 

To enlarge on that point Who can deny Baz is worth more, SAL, ABK, LIV, KWP, LAV etc than pre purchase? And there are other's like Edozie and Mara too. That's over half a team of outstanding talent. We are so close...

We know how hard is that to take young potential and blood it at the highest level in domestic world football - The EPL - and stay alive let alone prosper. The last time we were realistically this close - our potential current quality v the rest of the EPL squads - was early 1980's IMO.  Since then our average league position is ...stattos please help but i'm guessing its not mid table EPL taking relegations into account... its probably exactly where we are right now. 

Yet, we could be on the brink of a wonderful era of young fluid home grown players dominating in the EPL -for US- for once rather than all sold off .   Please take a deep breath and get some context. 

IF Ralph is not good enough to tale the next step with the talent we have assembled - i'm listening to that argument and its valid- he has not got a great track record of actually winning silverware. But is he incompetent at his current job? No. Sorry that's simply not true.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

IF Ralph is not good enough to tale the next step with the talent we have assembled - i'm listening to that argument and its valid- he has not got a great track record of actually winning silverware. But is he incompetent at his current job? No. Sorry that's simply not true.  

Have to disagree here, he is way out of his depth. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

My gut feeling now is this. The club's perception is they have critically let Ralph down in the transfer market, which is true, and will attempt to address this in January and let him continue. The World Cup break is possibly going to save his arse? 

That’ll be the one.

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I agree that with one more win - 3 points - we are exactly that - a mid table team. I do not agree that Ralph is an incompetent manager though. I think he is very good to excellent - for Saints. I think our criteria must vary.

MY criteria are that we have assembled possibly the highest potential squad I've seen for decades. 

One of Ralphs job is to take a beer money player and get champagne quality play out of him  He is NOT incompetent at that. The opposite. Very effective. BETTER RESULTS, - which is what we all want, will follow squad maturity. Or not life suks that way sometimes. Between now and then - win or lose - we have inevitable transition pain. Its a bxtch huh?  There is no definitive "WHEN BY" date with this. Transition to player and squad maturity to psychological resilience , will take time and that means variable results and performances. Its part of process. Progress is never linear.  Especially at Saints . 

To enlarge on that point Who can deny Baz is worth more, SAL, ABK, LIV, KWP, LAV etc than pre purchase? And there are other's like Edozie and Mara too. That's over half a team of outstanding talent. We are so close...

We know how hard is that to take young potential and blood it at the highest level in domestic world football - The EPL - and stay alive let alone prosper. The last time we were realistically this close - our potential current quality v the rest of the EPL squads - was early 1980's IMO.  Since then our average league position is ...stattos please help but i'm guessing its not mid table EPL taking relegations into account... its probably exactly where we are right now. 

Yet, we could be on the brink of a wonderful era of young fluid home grown players dominating in the EPL -for US- for once rather than all sold off .   Please take a deep breath and get some context. 

Probably fair comment. There seems to be some collective hysteria at work on this forum. Ralph may or may not get sacked and, if so, results may or may not improve subsequently, but to suggest that it's self evident that he should be sacked and that this will guarantee improvement is patently nonsense. Saints are probably underperforming slightly currently in the table compared to budget but things are incredibly tight. The owners have decided on a fairly risky strategy in terms of player recruitment which may or may not pay off, such is life.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, beancounter saint said:

Probably fair comment. There seems to be some collective hysteria at work on this forum. Ralph may or may not get sacked and, if so, results may or may not improve subsequently, but to suggest that it's self evident that he should be sacked and that this will guarantee improvement is patently nonsense. Saints are probably underperforming slightly currently in the table compared to budget but things are incredibly tight. The owners have decided on a fairly risky strategy in terms of player recruitment which may or may not pay off, such is life.

It’s only nonsense if you think Ralph is getting the maximum from the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Just a thought and 100% not gossip.

Strange to see many squad players in the B match yesterday. Was that an opportunity for someone to look at squad players who could be coming in to replace Ralph during the World Cup break?

I posted a similar train of thought on the B-Team thread yesterday. It does seem somewhat out-of-character for Ralph to suddenly ordain that a shed load of first team players should play in the B-Team. 

I get the counter-thought that it may just be a simple / innocent case of giving the fringe players some game time but that's not something that Ralph has historicaly used the B-Team for, so why now...?

Whilst, admittedly, its conspiracy theory territory, I don't think we can necessarily rule out that there were 'other factors' that came into play with regards yesterday's B-Team line-up.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This entirely! 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

And that points back to the problem that we didn’t get that standout attacking player in the summer.

Defensively squad wise that’s the best we’ve been for some years, but we are very weak out wide and up top, and our inability to kill of games will be our biggest failing this season.

Defensively in terms of players we are great. Organisationally we are a shit show. That's down to Ralph

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, beancounter saint said:

I think the increasing difficulty SR face is that of fan discontent and dissatisfaction. There may or may not be a plan to do X, Y or Z. That’s open to conjecture and discussion. What is *beyond* dispute is that what we have had to watch over the last 18 months has been turgid, insipid, fearful football resulting in - lest we forget - not even a handful of wins in 30 odd league games. Shameful. Like it or not, that will have an effect, whether it be reduced numbers through turnstiles, reduced merchandise sales, audible dissatisfaction / protest at SMS. SR would do well to read the runes and see where this is heading. If they have a plan to buy big in January and give RH the attacking player(s) he so needs, then OK - let that play out. However, any other pathway will see things get ugly pretty quickly in my view. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, trousers said:

I posted a similar train of thought on the B-Team thread yesterday. It does seem somewhat out-of-character for Ralph to suddenly ordain that a shed load of first team players should play in the B-Team. 

I get the counter-thought that it may just be a simple / innocent case of giving the fringe players some game time but that's not something that Ralph has historicaly used the B-Team for, so why now...?

Whilst, admittedly, its conspiracy theory territory, I don't think we can necessarily rule out that there were 'other factors' that came into play with regards yesterday's B-Team line-up.

Hope Semmens gave up his Sunday afternoon to watch.

42 minutes ago, trousers said:

I thought it was odd as some had played minutes on Saturday, both Maitland-Niles and Diallo played 45 minutes on Saturday and on Sunday, Djenepo and Edozie both played 25-ish minutes on Saturday and again on Sunday (Djenepo 73 minutes and Edozie half an hour until his injury). Even Mara played minutes in both games (though only a pointless cameo on Saturday). I've never seen that with the B-team before.

And if it's simply just a run-out for fringe-y players then there's a cup game on Wednesday

Edited by Christophenburg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, beancounter saint said:

Logically, that's correct if another manager would do so but I don't personally think there's too many managers that consistently get the maximum out of a team

Every single other manager in the league is getting more out of their respective teams than Ralph is with ours, with the exception, perhaps, of 'Ted Lasso' at Leeds (and even he beat Liverpool).

He's just not very good. And we can do better.

Edited by DT
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gio1saints said:

What a load of blinkered rollocks. What about all the other players of high potential that have been brought in under Hasenhüttl's various regimes yet disappeared without trace. Where on earth did you get the idea that he is able to turn potential into stardom? There is not a shred of evidence to support such dreamy wishful thinking.

The bloke has had nigh on 4 years to prove his credentials here, how much longer do you think he deserve to be given FFS.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Every single other manager in the league is getting more out of their respective teams than Ralph is with ours, with the exception, perhaps, of 'Ted Lasso' at Leeds (and even he beat Liverpool).

Yep especially Forest  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, beancounter saint said:

Logically, that's correct if another manager would do so but I don't personally think there's too many managers that consistently get the maximum out of a team

I reckon there’s plenty out there that would get a lot more from our squad than Wreck-It.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, DT said:

Well there isn't much point arguing about it but I stand by my comment that Saints are currently underperforming just slightly based on league position, IMHO. Klopp and Liverpool are a pretty obvious example at the moment of a side that are further below their expected level based on budget.

It may not be a happy situation but at the Premier League level, the performance of a team over any length of time correlates pretty directly with its financial resources and I'm sure the owners appreciate that.

1 hour ago, beancounter saint said:

Well there isn't much point arguing about it but I stand by my comment that Saints are currently underperforming just slightly based on league position, IMHO. Klopp and Liverpool are a pretty obvious example at the moment of a side that are further below their expected level based on budget.

It may not be a happy situation but at the Premier League level, the performance of a team over any length of time correlates pretty directly with its financial resources and I'm sure the owners appreciate that.

It's a pretty good gig then. 6.5 million big ones a year and nobody to bother you, a local news guy in your pocket and no expectations from anyone because, apparently, nobody could do any better. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

I reckon there’s plenty out there that would get a lot more from our squad than Wreck-It.

That's a fair enough point. I do not think anyone would disagree that the output has been disappointing. 

BUT: if we had played exactly the same way but Che scored a goal or two more and we are sitting in 8th spot on 18 points do you still think he should be sacked? Its such fine margins between dross and happy days. If we beat Palace and go four unbeaten are we doing well? This season two goals and we are 8th - success, this season we don't score those goals - failure - to paraphrase and badly plagiarise Charles Dickens. 

I'm so unclear that i dont feel we are able to just sack RH and go for it. Risk is very high. I dont know if getting a Ralph mk2 ( younger potential manager) or a Ralph style but upgrade (Tuchel?) or an older experienced pro with a patchy management record  (Steven Gerrard) or a Portugese/Spanish/Italian/German/ Eastern European coach (cos they are always pretty good - and cheap) is the right answer for this squad. None guarantee points. Its out of fashion to go for a manager "who knows how to get the team scrapping for points" or "avoid relegation specialist" I believe and its more about "the project". Who is doing well in championship or foreign leagues and is young and gettable? Zerbi is taken.  

SR are clear on our recruitment policy IF the project is to continue they will need a certain type of coach that gets with the buy cheap sell high programme. So do not expect great change in playing personnel short term. Whoever gets the opportunity and privilege to manage the team is on a hiding to nothing. Expected to win by the  fans, and win playing well, playing young players - but not too many. It a no win job frankly.    

5 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

That's a fair enough point. I do not think anyone would disagree that the output has been disappointing. 

BUT: if we had played exactly the same way but Che scored a goal or two more and we are sitting in 8th spot on 18 points do you still think he should be sacked? Its such fine margins between dross and happy days. If we beat Palace and go four unbeaten are we doing well? This season two goals and we are 8th - success, this season we don't score those goals - failure - to paraphrase and badly plagiarise Charles Dickens. 

I'm so unclear that i dont feel we are able to just sack RH and go for it. Risk is very high. I dont know if getting a Ralph mk2 ( younger potential manager) or a Ralph style but upgrade (Tuchel?) or an older experienced pro with a patchy management record  (Steven Gerrard) or a Portugese/Spanish/Italian/German/ Eastern European coach (cos they are always pretty good - and cheap) is the right answer for this squad. None guarantee points. Its out of fashion to go for a manager "who knows how to get the team scrapping for points" or "avoid relegation specialist" I believe and its more about "the project". Who is doing well in championship or foreign leagues and is young and gettable? Zerbi is taken.  

SR are clear on our recruitment policy IF the project is to continue they will need a certain type of coach that gets with the buy cheap sell high programme. So do not expect great change in playing personnel short term. Whoever gets the opportunity and privilege to manage the team is on a hiding to nothing. Expected to win by the  fans, and win playing well, playing young players - but not too many. It a no win job frankly.    

What if the chances against us missed by our opponents were converted? Maybe we'd have even less points.

9 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Brighton have worked out a way of doing well and they haven't had a decent striker since Glenn Murray.
It is possible.
And it's literally his job to work it out. Just like Potter did.

Whilst instead all we get is him and his joker gang like Semmens saying "it's really tough, we're lucky to be here".
As they try to save each others jobs. 

• Like 3

What if...?  What if...? If my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle.

We are getting what we always get under Ralph.  This article describes it. https://www.in-common.co.uk/2022/09/02/view-from-the-kingsland-ralphs-rollercoaster/

I've been pretty 'Ralph in' and I'd probably still be just about with that.  However I'd have no argument with a change to try and freshen things up and have a bit of a reset.  I'd hope the owners would have someone lined up who could pick up the reins of the project with minimum disruption. The WC break is the obvious time for a change if we are going to get one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I honestly don’t think our (fans) expectation is to win.  Not having to watch ineffective, plodding, ponderous RalphBall is an expectation though.

I appreciate there are different points of view.  I see keeping Ralph as more of a risk.  We have recently been beaten by Villa, Wolves, Everton and Crystal Palace.  None of them were flying at the time we played them.  We have won about 4 of our last 20 odd games (not sure of the exact stat, but it’s pretty crap).  It doesn’t take Nostradamus to see where we are heading.

Time has come for a new manager and new ideas.  For the life of me, I can’t see why the owners don’t see it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

BUT: if we had played exactly the same way but Che scored a goal or two more and we are sitting in 8th spot on 18 points do you still think he should be sacked? Its such fine margins between dross and happy days. If we beat Palace and go four unbeaten are we doing well? T

That's true but only to a very limited point, history with him has told us every good run has been succeeded by a horror run, with some absolute hammerings amongst them. I think we have been burned too many times after getting back on side with Ralph.

It's a moot point though, because we did lose to Palace, that was avoidable and  I believe that was on Ralph,  playing the useless Diallo at DM, and not changing it when it was so obvious it was a catastrophe, (how many times did he give the ball away before they eventually scored)?  Che Adams misses were significant, but they were nowhere near the whole story.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl