Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

34 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Terrible result. Ralph always manages to pull a win out of the bag just as his time seems to be up. 

Just had a look at the results from the same 11 fixtures fixtures last season, substituting Burnley for Bournemouth. 

Saints took 12 points from the same fixtures last season compared to 11 this season. So we're nearly as shit as we were last season but we now look even more clueless. Top work, Ralph. 

Terrible supporter you are Sir

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Terrible result. Ralph always manages to pull a win out of the bag just as his time seems to be up. 

Just had a look at the results from the same 11 fixtures fixtures last season, substituting Burnley for Bournemouth. 

Saints took 12 points from the same fixtures last season compared to 11 this season. So we're nearly as shit as we were last season but we now look even more clueless. Top work, Ralph. 

Did Ralph sidney fudpucker your dog or sumin?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Think he’s got to the World Cup regardless tbh, 

I think had he lost today and arsenal we would have had no choice but to get rid as we'd have probably been bottom. Winning today means we can lose to Arsenal and still probably won't be in the relegation zone. Miraculously considering our stinking performances we seem to get just enough points at the right times.

I would never want us to lose just to get rid of him? Jesus Christ that’s bad.

I also can’t see how this result will change there mind (if there mind is even made up which it doesn’t seem to be) he’s gotta go the football is shite and the results are shite, we managed to hound puel out for playing bad football and he did pretty bloody well.

• Haha 1

To be clear, we should all be pleased with last nights result. A lot is wrong at the moment, and relegation will solve none of it so 3 points, especially at relegation rivals, is a good thing.

However, it does not mean Ralph is suddenly the right manager as much as it does not mean we no longer need a new striker or better creativity or a better central midfield.

These opinions are not mutually exclusive. I’m pleased we won, I hope we beat Arsenal too, but Ralph is no longer the right man to lead us (hasn’t been for some time) and last night hasn’t changed that.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

To be clear, we should all be pleased with last nights result. A lot is wrong at the moment, and relegation will solve none of it so 3 points, especially at relegation rivals, is a good thing.

However, it does not mean Ralph is suddenly the right manager as much as it does not mean we no longer need a new striker or better creativity or a better central midfield.

These opinions are not mutually exclusive. I’m pleased we won, I hope we beat Arsenal too, but Ralph is no longer the right man to lead us (hasn’t been for some time) and last night hasn’t changed that.

Spot on

Fair play to Ralph, he set us up well, made good tactical changes & the players clearly played for him. One result doesn’t change anything, he needs a run of decent performances, to convince me he deserves more time. Clearly we have a tough run of fixtures, and being realistic we're going to struggle to get a lot of points, but we can show attitude, application and tactical intelligence. We can’t be mincing around like we did at Anfield and other games last  season. We need to be tough to beat, before I’ll change my mind about him. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

The players are an absolute disgrace, I've no doubt that they were aware that another defeat may have hastened Ralph's departure yet they still conspired to win. It's almost as if they don't give a shit about a few people on a football forum. This is the kind of attitude that won't see us relegated FFS.

Edited by cloggy saint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 12

7 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Really important 3 points.  But Ralph doesn’t suddenly become a good coach because of 1 game.  

We won’t win any of our next 3.  He still needs to go.

If we don't win again in the league before the end of the World Cup then I think I'll largely agree with that beung the time to make the change.

I know we've not easy games, but I think 4 or 5 points would be OK. Need to win against one of Newcastle or Palace, probably Palace.

Edited by Pamplemousse
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we don't win again in the league before the end of the World Cup then I think I'll largely agree with that beung the time to make the change.

I know we've not easy games, but I think 4 or 5 points would be OK. Need to win against one of Newcastle or Palace, probably Palace.

5 points would be above my expectations from the next 4. We are playing 3 of the top 7 plus a team currently top half. 2 draws (with decent performances) would be ok. A win and a draw would represent a good return given our recent form and very limited firepower

In the summer SR took a high risk transfer strategy  which meant that this season was always going to be difficult. Anyone can see that at times the team lacks experience and know how in handling some situations. As the young players bed in the situation should improve. Surely people were not expecting a season without setbacks?  Of course if the team is near the foot of the table and is not looking like winning matches the manager should change but I think the above should be taken into consideration when judging Ralph. All mamagers have there idiosyncrasies so changing is not guaranteed necessarily to be a good option. In fact there are no good options. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Its easy for people to talk about when to time the change, it is more a question of who is the person we change to and when is he available? We can get a PM in a week but a manager may take longer, and we could end up with any one available. Wolves are having a problem and ManU have got it wrong several times. Changing is not a quick and easy fix, be careful what you wish for. It took the Tories all summer to find Liz Truss

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

Its easy for people to talk about when to time the change, it is more a question of who is the person we change to and when is he available? We can get a PM in a week but a manager may take longer, and we could end up with any one available. Wolves are having a problem and ManU have got it wrong several times. Changing is not a quick and easy fix, be careful what you wish for. It took the Tories all summer to find Liz Truss

Have to say i completely agree with you. There are absolutely no guarantees that a change of manager will suddenly turn results around. Look at the money teams like Everton, Aston Villa and West Ham have spunked and on that basis you would say they should be all kicking on the door of Europe but 2 out 3 are struggling terribly and fans want Gerrard out and Lampard out. West Ham have started badly this season considering the players they have.

I'm as fucked off with our results and performances as most fans but who realistically that WOULD 100% improve things is out there. My guess the board are hoping we can get to the World cup break and then see who becomes out of a job because they either lose their job as a National manager or a club manager becomes available because said club replaces them with a newly ex national manager.

It is a risky strategy but i wouldn't be surprised if this is whats going on behind the scenes. 

On 19/10/2022 at 17:30, pimpin4rizeal said:

I don’t think there is any excuse for it,, we had all summer ffs

Newly promoted forest are there signing 50 players and we can’t get a striker ?

we shouldn’t even be getting close to last day of the window and being left high and dry as we had all freaking summer to sort this out ..

reeks of either complacency or trying to be too clever for me 

And how is that working out for them exactly? No point signing players just for the sake of it.

We will have had targets who we believed would have improved on what we have. It's frustrating that those deals all fell through, but I'm glad we didn't just go and spunk that money on more dross. 

• Like 2

The Bmth performance felt a little like Villa's did versus us. Enough to win but not really a sign of any underlying change.

However, its clear the players haven't downed tools on Ralph.

Interesting times given that Villa, Wolves and possibly Leeds are also looking at the managerial market, and that the WC break is looming where surely we get a forward or two lined up and also hopefully ABK, Lavia and maybe even Livramento back available.

With a kind run of fixtures immediately after the restart I am sure SR will now wait to make a decision. 

It probably gives Ralph the next 5 incl Sheff Weds game to show progress and if not I think they will make a change then, assuming one of those others doesn't take whoever we want.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Tom & Gerry said:

In the summer SR took a high risk transfer strategy  which meant that this season was always going to be difficult. Anyone can see that at times the team lacks experience and know how in handling some situations. As the young players bed in the situation should improve. Surely people were not expecting a season without setbacks?  Of course if the team is near the foot of the table and is not looking like winning matches the manager should change but I think the above should be taken into consideration when judging Ralph. All mamagers have there idiosyncrasies so changing is not guaranteed necessarily to be a good option. In fact there are no good options. 

I have an issue with that logic. Our midfield is neither young nor inexperienced, but that is where most of our problems are. Our CB pairing are young and inexperienced, but have barely put a foot wrong. Our high risk strategy was not signing a proven no 9, not signing the attacking midfielder we have been crying out for since Tadic left and Redmond turned to custard. We sold Romeu and have no cover at CDM. It wasn't a high risk strategy, it was simply incompetent.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

With Wolves deciding to keep their caretaker manager having considered bringing back Nuno, I wonder if there simply aren't any good enough managers available the moment, so we're sticking with what we know for now

This has crossed my mind a lot as well. Seems a likely scenario, with the WC break as well, maybe they thing it's worth waiting to see what happens with our form and with available managers. 

Also we are now ran by someone who was involved in Brentford when they stuck with Frank after his horrific start to the job, but they looked beneath the results and performances and believed they say something that would eventually work if given the time. 

I've already said I think it's time for a change, but it's obviously a much more complex situation, and also injuries and lack of striker needs to be taken into account as well. So maybe SR feel they shoulder some of that blame, hence not hanging Ralph out to dry yet... 

I'm starting to wonder if he will and possibly even should get until the WC break and have a chance with Lavia back from injury

Edited by jayrivers
updated
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I have an issue with that logic. Our midfield is neither young nor inexperienced, but that is where most of our problems are. Our CB pairing are young and inexperienced, but have barely put a foot wrong. Our high risk strategy was not signing a proven no 9, not signing the attacking midfielder we have been crying out for since Tadic left and Redmond turned to custard. We sold Romeu and have no cover at CDM. It wasn't a high risk strategy, it was simply incompetent.

Not really. The Romeu that we let go was not the Romeu of previous years.

I would never wish us to lose to get rid of a manager and clearly Ralph is not incompetent in setting up the team and can get the team at least playing ok.

BUT surely if players don't really trust him and relationships have broken down then the results shouldn't really matter, its an untenable position. You can't build a young, improving squad in one of the toughest leagues in the world if the players and the manager don't really get on and there is no real relationship there.

Having a couple of players maybe dislike eachother can be overcome, having the players and the manager at odds, with the manager not really speaking to players makes no sense at for developing a good team long term. 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I would never wish us to lose to get rid of a manager and clearly Ralph is not incompetent in setting up the team and can get the team at least playing ok.

BUT surely if players don't really trust him and relationships have broken down then the results shouldn't really matter, its an untenable position. You can't build a young, improving squad in one of the toughest leagues in the world if the players and the manager don't really get on and there is no real relationship there.

Having a couple of players maybe dislike eachother can be overcome, having the players and the manager at odds, with the manager not really speaking to players makes no sense at for developing a good team long term. 

Clearly the players are still playing for him though. Evident in the effort they're putting in, and the celebrations and post match comments. He would be gone if there were significant issues from the playing squad, rather than a smattering of bad eggs having a whine and trying to undermine the club in the media, or some of our negative fans that will jump on / spread any rumour if it ties in with getting rid of him.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Is any of this factual or just online speculation?

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Au contraire Toussaint, AMN is improving with each game, shame he can’t play this Sunday. 2 from JWP, RL and AMN looks good to me. 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Facts or gossip? Sounds like an extract from 'The Crown', tittle tattle posing as facts, dangerous soap or wishful thinking 

• Like 1

On 20/10/2022 at 05:06, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Terrible result.

Can't believe I'm biting to an obvious WUM, but here goes. How is a victory for Southampton FC a terrible result for a Saints supporter? 

I understand the performance was extremely average and Ralph actively tried to give the game away with his appalling 2nd half tactics, but we won. There's no way, no matter how you look at it, that a victory for Saints is a terrible result. Ultimately we want to stay in the Premier League right? We just came 3 points closer to achieving that.

13 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Can't believe I'm biting to an obvious WUM, but here goes. How is a victory for Southampton FC a terrible result for a Saints supporter? 

I understand the performance was extremely average and Ralph actively tried to give the game away with his appalling 2nd half tactics, but we won. There's no way, no matter how you look at it, that a victory for Saints is a terrible result. Ultimately we want to stay in the Premier League right? We just came 3 points closer to achieving that.

He means it is terrible the result could possibly mean a stay of execution for the manager. I am surprised you couldn’t work that out for yourself.  Yes the 3 points will undoubtedly come in handy but when the bigger picture is taken into consideration the an ugly win could distort or cover up a deep seated problem. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

He means it is terrible the result could possibly mean a stay of execution for the manager. I am surprised you couldn’t work that out for yourself.  Yes the 3 points will undoubtedly come in handy but when the bigger picture is taken into consideration the an ugly win could distort or cover up a deep seated problem. 

Complains manager doesn't win enough games. Wants him out. Manager wins a game. TERRIBLE result. *slow clap*

I'll say it again for you in case you're still struggling. Under no circumstances is a victory for Saints a terrible result if you're a Saints supporter. How can anyone want a manager to be sacked more than they want their team to win? That's utterly pathetic even for you Fitzhugh. I did learn something new today though. Turns out historians can be clueless. Your time here was not wasted FF.

By the way, I'm Ralph out. Good news though, a shite performance and a slim 1-0 victory almost certainly won't save his job in the long run. Now run along and enjoy the fact we're closer to survival than we were on Tuesday.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 6

25 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

Complains manager doesn't win enough games. Wants him out. Manager wins a game. TERRIBLE result. *slow clap*

I'll say it again for you in case you're still struggling. Under no circumstances is a victory for Saints a terrible result if you're a Saints supporter. How can anyone want a manager to be sacked more than they want their team to win? That's utterly pathetic even for you Fitzhugh. I did learn something new today though. Turns out historians can be clueless. Your time here was not wasted FF.

By the way, I'm Ralph out. Good news though, a shite performance and a slim 1-0 victory almost certainly won't save his job in the long run. Now run along and enjoy the fact we're closer to survival than we were on Tuesday.

I get the sentiment, but you ain't living up to your username!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

No need for the patronising reply. Yes my comment about working it out for yourself was a little unnecessary, I apologise for that it wasn’t meant to be sarcastic but it did sound it. 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
Reread

3 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Au contraire Toussaint, AMN is improving with each game, shame he can’t play this Sunday. 2 from JWP, RL and AMN looks good to me. 

I was responding to the "high risk strategy" of signing young players, he is not in that category. I don't think I made my point very well, but I was trying to get across it's not the  young players we signed that are the issue, it's the 2 or 3 key roles we didn't fill that are the issue, for me anyway. 

57 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

FF is best ignored, he is always moaning. Even when we were winning and playing good stuff under Poch he was miserable and campaigning against Cortese. Never happy unless he is the centre. Ignore.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl