Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

Just now, The Kraken said:

The John Gorman / Jason Dodd caretaker period was abject.

I think Dean Wilkins also lost 3 of 3 as caretaker.

Full time managers, we’ve had plenty of pathetic starts to the Premier League that make this one look successful. Ad in the massive losing stretch from the back end of last season, though, and the aspect changes massively.

Rochdale at home, say no more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Don’t think Aribo has broken a sweat since getting here tbh, haven’t seen him sprint yet 

He absolutely took the piss yesterday, he should have been hooked at half time for Stu. I think he started the season ok, and therefore got quite a few fans on side, so far I think he’s our weakest signing. Part of the reason we couldn’t get out of our own half yesterday was he was just floating around and not offering an outlet, AA ran himself into the ground but instead of changing things before the inevitable equaliser he waited until it was too late. Do we ever see strategic substitutions, I feel they are always reactive?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Kraken said:

The John Gorman / Jason Dodd caretaker period was abject.

I think Dean Wilkins also lost 3 of 3 as caretaker.

Full time managers, we’ve had plenty of pathetic starts to the Premier League that make this one look successful. Ad in the massive losing stretch from the back end of last season, though, and the aspect changes massively.

Dave Jones second season i think it was 2 points from first 10 games, Steve Wigley era was awful, Stuart Grays results first season at St Marys. It's far from the worst start we've ever had but over a longer period the form is as bad as i can remember in nearly 40 years

• Like 1

Just listened to the Total saints podcast and makes you realize how far we’ve fallen…

Bournemouth lost 9 nil a few weeks ago and have since turned their season round with Gary O’Neill having a plan and a squad who wants to play for him. 

And that’s what I find so annoying about Blackmore and Semmens making out we’re so lucky to have Ralph. Expecting a plan and a united squad is the basics.

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we don't win either of our next two then after Sunday would be the best time to let him go. Got a week to get a replacement in.

I've been thinking about this and wonder if he'll get until the WC break. The lavia injury has been a problem and we've definitely struggled since then. And also the lack of striker in the summer as well. Can't help but think these two things might be while he's still there.

However personally we need a manager now who can work with the current squad and motivate the players and improve them. 

The situation is a total farce and has been to be honest for 18 months, just look at all those results in that time !

But also lets look at the manor of play as that shows us going backwards with a disorganized team lacking direction, a tactical approach and man management.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Dave Jones second season i think it was 2 points from first 10 games, Steve Wigley era was awful, Stuart Grays results first season at St Marys. It's far from the worst start we've ever had but over a longer period the form is as bad as i can remember in nearly 40 years

Well if we want to see a similar start we only have to go back to 2019-20 under Ralph where we also only had 8pts in our first 10 games and only 9pts after 13 games though that was also the season we finished 11th! Seems even having a good striker like Ings didn't guarantee a good start. Longer period of form - again don't need to look too far back, we have 22pts in our last 13 games and between 16 Jan 21 and 14 Aug 21 we only got 14pts over a run of 22 games, again under Ralph.

As much as people like to complain about the lack of quality in our squad (which I don't fully agree with) I think it's also worth pointing out that only 4 players (JWP, S.Armstrong, Elyounoussi, McCarthy) have played under a different Saints manager to Ralph and only 3 other players (KWP, AMN, Walcott) have ever played under another manager in the Prem. The majority of the squad has only ever played Prem football using Ralph's tactics, coaching and guidance and i'd personally be very interested to see how they could perform under a different manager before i'd write them off.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

it’s okay, saints always get good in december under ralph, that’s the month we should be looking forward to for points… oh wait… S**t 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Well if we want to see a similar start we only have to go back to 2019-20 under Ralph where we also only had 8pts in our first 10 games and only 9pts after 13 games though that was also the season we finished 11th! Seems even having a good striker like Ings didn't guarantee a good start. Longer period of form - again don't need to look too far back, we have 22pts in our last 13 games and between 16 Jan 21 and 14 Aug 21 we only got 14pts over a run of 22 games, again under Ralph.

As much as people like to complain about the lack of quality in our squad (which I don't fully agree with) I think it's also worth pointing out that only 4 players (JWP, S.Armstrong, Elyounoussi, McCarthy) have played under a different Saints manager to Ralph and only 3 other players (KWP, AMN, Walcott) have ever played under another manager in the Prem. The majority of the squad has only ever played Prem football using Ralph's tactics, coaching and guidance and i'd personally be very interested to see how they could perform under a different manager before i'd write them off.

But it's still not his squad, right?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, jayrivers said:

I've been thinking about this and wonder if he'll get until the WC break. The lavia injury has been a problem and we've definitely struggled since then. And also the lack of striker in the summer as well. Can't help but think these two things might be while he's still there.

Taking those two points in isolation, who is responsible for not having the cover for the DM, and failing to sign a striker ready for the first team ? 

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Taking those two points in isolation, who is responsible for not having the cover for the DM, and failing to sign a striker ready for the first team ? 

100% but football isn't always that simple.

That's why I think we need a manager who can bring consistency to the squad, something we have rarely had under Ralph. I like him a lot, and I think he'll remain popular, but sometimes a clean break is needed. They've tried to support Ralph, and while no one was expecting us to be looking towards the top 10 this season, I think it's clear we have been underachieving for a while now when you look at our best spells under Ralph. Even a small about of consistency would have us well clear of a relegation battle, and I personally think, where we should be. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

I doubt very much if either of these thing are down to Hasenhuttl.

But if Ralph told the owners he didn't want another player at CM then that could be down to him. Not disputing he wanted another striker but after we signed Lavia we weren't seriously linked with further centre mid options

19 minutes ago, jayrivers said:

100% but football isn't always that simple.

That's why I think we need a manager who can bring consistency to the squad, something we have rarely had under Ralph. I like him a lot, and I think he'll remain popular, but sometimes a clean break is needed. They've tried to support Ralph, and while no one was expecting us to be looking towards the top 10 this season, I think it's clear we have been underachieving for a while now when you look at our best spells under Ralph. Even a small about of consistency would have us well clear of a relegation battle, and I personally think, where we should be. 

Nail on head

4 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

If we don't win either of our next two then after Sunday would be the best time to let him go. Got a week to get a replacement in.

I said this after the City and Everton games. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

The problem I have with that thinking is what if he gets 2 wins? For me it proves nothing. Therefore, let him go now. He isn't turning this around and we all know it

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The problem I have with that thinking is what if he gets 2 wins? For me it proves nothing. Therefore, let him go now. He isn't turning this around and we all know it

Absolutely, and let’s be honest, if West Ham had packed their shooting boots yesterday that point would have been a distant hope by half time

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

If he gets two wins then happy days. We'd probably be in the top half

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Took my lad to his first away game in mid-October '98. 

It was at Highbury and we went into the game with a grand total of 1 point.

Managed a 1-1 draw and doubled our points total.

I think as fans we have been extremely patient. The spark has gone, the atmosphere is flat and it’s reflecting massively on the pitch. It’s been like this for 6 months now. Added with numerous reports to of player unrest. A change should have been made in May. We’ve had some real highs with Ralph and some massive lows. The longer this continues then those highs will be long forgotten sadly. 

There are plenty of decent managers out there who would be desperate to manage in the Premier League. 

I like Blackmore. He’s a good pundit but I would love to ask him whether he thinks Ralph will still be manager by the end of this season. I think 99.9% would say no. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It would appear Ralph is still here.

And I still think he will be up until the World Cup break, at least.

We'll give him until January, let him spend £20m on his son, Patrick, and then sack him in Feb 😉

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t see us spending heavily in January.

I think if Ralph is still here then it’ll be minimal movement.

If it’s someone else I think there could be a signing or two, but we won’t be splashing out.

Historically it's hard to spend money in January. Panic buys like Carillo spring to mind. Although that wasn't panic just stupidity 

• Like 1

The "when, not if" conundrum. As it seems like it is "when" then the Board needs to consider when a "when" is good or bad timing. It seems that about now there could be some promising candidates who fit the Saints profile and would take us on. But if we wait until the World Cup break these guys may have several other offers in front of them by then.

Pulling the trigger now would have distinct benefits. 

Edited by Bakovnetski

2 hours ago, Wiggles31 said:

I think as fans we have been extremely patient. The spark has gone, the atmosphere is flat and it’s reflecting massively on the pitch. It’s been like this for 6 months now. Added with numerous reports to of player unrest. A change should have been made in May. We’ve had some real highs with Ralph and some massive lows. The longer this continues then those highs will be long forgotten sadly. 

There are plenty of decent managers out there who would be desperate to manage in the Premier League. 

I like Blackmore. He’s a good pundit but I would love to ask him whether he thinks Ralph will still be manager by the end of this season. I think 99.9% would say no. 

I agree with all of this apart from fans being patient. This isn't the case at all. Fans were on his back for the 2-1 defeat by West Ham in his 3rd game in charge. I agree that it's time for him to go but fans haven't shown him much patience at all. 

• Confused 6

10 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I agree with all of this apart from fans being patient. This isn't the case at all. Fans were on his back for the 2-1 defeat by West Ham in his 3rd game in charge. I agree that it's time for him to go but fans haven't shown him much patience at all. 

Rubbish as per, Mr War. Probably why you’re on your 3rd account 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

What a load of utter bollox, he has been here four years and as a season ticket holder I have seen a lot of those games, with his record and the rubbish we watch he had had an almost free ride. I can remember once him being jeered.

He is just lucky that the fans seem to have given up. In days gone by he would have had a much rougher ride.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Think you must have a fantastic memory to be that precise and remember something so far back, OR your making it up.

I certainly don’t remember that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bob76 said:

What a load of utter bollox, he has been here four years and as a season ticket holder I have seen a lot of those games, with his record and the rubbish we watch he had had an almost free ride. I can remember once him being jeered.

He is just lucky that the fans seem to have given up. In days gone by he would have had a much rougher ride.

IMO he actually got off very lightly after being smashed 9-0 twice and a fair few other drubbings. To say the fans haven't been patient is ridiculous. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Who goes first, Ralph or Liz ?

Liz. She looked on tranquillisers today, like Pellegrino did and Ralph has more recently. Les let a seemingly ill man to publicly hang until Feb/March 2018 when clearly out of his depth. Same happening now with RH and SFC, less out of his depth but just burned out. Current Tory party horrendous but at least they will dispatch her when she is horrifically out of her depth and totally unsuited to the role. Mostly for their own good rather than hers whereas SFC and SR keep expecting a broken first team manager with lots of negative stories around him and no ideas for how to change to turn it around despite all of the evidence pointing to having lost the dressing room. 

SFC seems to be using RH as a human shield so the board and ownership isn’t scrutinised as it should be. As a fanbase we need to put his right. It’s why Blackmore is being used as a decoy - get him close, feed him corporate agendas and watch him distract the fanbase as a agent provocateur for a deeply unpopular manager. Could be argued to be working too in terms of keeping heat away from Semmens and Steele as long as SR remains hands off.

Edited by saint1977

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

To be fair, SR are doing the exact opposite of 'fiddling'.

They are more like boiling frogs

for those not familiar with the syndrome I lifted this from wiki 

The boiling frog is an apologuedescribing a frog being slowly boiled alive. The premise is that if a frog is put suddenly into boiling water, it will jump out, but if the frog is put in tepid water which is then brought to a boil slowly, it will not perceive the danger and will be cooked to death. The story is often used as a metaphor for the inability or unwillingness of people to react to or be aware of sinister threats that arise gradually rather than suddenly.

Even when we all liked Ralph and he was a popular he never used to run with flair and creativity got rid of the likes of Boufal gabby and I guess you can throw Lemina in too who were all pretty great to watch and could change games on their day preferring talentless grinders like long and redmond ..

this is still going on.. edozie looks a super exciting player even in his cameos he’s beat players and looked exciting but no let’s go with elyounoussi time and time again who offers absolutely nothing..don’t think he likes picking stuey much as he should either ..

don’t know about you but I don’t wanna watch a bunch of grind dogs with no talent this is part of the reason for our creativity problems 

hes the type of guy who would probably of froze out a prime le tissier and told us he doesn’t do enough off the ball 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Even when we all liked Ralph and he was a popular he never used to run with flair and creativity got rid of the likes of Boufal gabby and I guess you can throw Lemina in too who were all pretty great to watch and could change games on their day preferring talentless grinders like long and redmond ..

this is still going on.. edozie looks a super exciting player even in his cameos he’s beat players and looked exciting but no let’s go with elyounoussi time and time again who offers absolutely nothing..don’t think he likes picking stuey much as he should either ..

don’t know about you but I don’t wanna watch a bunch of grind dogs with no talent this is part of the reason for our creativity problems 

hes the type of guy who would probably of froze out a prime le tissier and told us he doesn’t do enough off the ball 

Ralph prefers players who behave like robots and follow his mad instructions. He is not so keen on flair players who do their own thing and maybe create something because they step outside the realms of his boring playbook which, incidentally, needs to be confined to the dustbin. Seems KWP could be the latest flair player he's reigned in judging by his recent safe performances which have lacked the marauding runs most fans loved seeing. 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl