Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

Just to play my devil's advocate card briefly.... how do we know Blackmore didn't say that just to drum up reaction and/or calls to his radio show? 

"Radio host in saying something provocative to raise heckles and wind-up listeners shocker" kinda thing....?

(I'm not saying this is what he was up to, just wondering if it can be ruled out as blatent 'WUMery'...)

The Adrian Durham on Radio Solent, perhaps?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Dman said:

To be fair, we clearly tried and got played / fucked around by the agent / club of that lad at PSV. From what I’ve seen, he certainly appears to have been the missing link. 

That being said, I think the fact we no longer have an Ings or Broja, it goes to show that Ralph’s good runs we’re basically off the back of a top quality striker rather than his own performance. 

I don't care that we waited till the end of the window to fail to sign the attacking player we wanted. I would have preferred us to sign a striker that was an improvement on what we had much earlier in the window. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Except it isn't because I regularly go to my local team who are in League One and have had some hard times and crap players and it's not like that at all. They get behind their team regardless of what's happening on or off the pitch. Just like we used to at that level.

It's getting worse by the day, we have recently established that you are MLG (AKA frowny face emoji man) and TWAR, now you have come out as a Pompey Fan! I going to have to go and have a lay down, this isn't good for my blood pressure!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

The Adrian Durham on Radio Solent, perhaps?

Well, yeah. And it seems to have worked!

I am amused by a large number of contributors on this thread correlating something a local radio presenter said, with the gospel of Ralph and Martin. I haven't got a clue, personally, having never listened to Mr Blackmore or Mr Semmens, and all I've heard from Hasenhuttl is what i have caught from (prepared) post-match comments on the tele. Clearly others have a far greater insight.

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It was our best transfer window since 2014, that doesn’t mean we don’t still have one of the weakest squads in the league. It was sh*te before, it’s better now, it’s still a long way off being competitive.

He thinks the team is worse than it was last year. I'm not sure how you can praise the window as the best in years and then say our team is worse. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He thinks the team is worse than it was last year. I'm not sure how you can praise the window as the best in years and then say our team is worse. 

I don’t agree with him on that, the team has the potential to be better and has already shown some improvements in areas. I think we’re being badly let down by the form of our three fit central midfielders and Lavia’s injury.

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

People looked at the perceived potential of the signings and got excited. Then reality struck and they realised that we'd signed talented kids who, collectively, weren't going to improve us anytime soon. I get where he's coming from and I don't think there's an inconsistency.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

One misplaced pass and it's moans and groans all round the stadium. I'm looking forward to The Championship, there's proper fans down there.

That's the case at every Premier League ground, it's nothing new at all. In fact our fans are incredibly timid and passive these days compared to most PL fanbases.

For context, over the last 6 and a bit years since Koeman left, our home form has been absolutely dire. In that period we have won only 36 out of 118 home games in the PL, over an extended time frame we have been utterly turgid and devoid of belief and that has filtered down to the fanbase, and I say this as someone who until very recently was very much a 'Ralph in' guy. It's been a long time since supporting Saints was any fun whatsoever, yet we're arrogant for a few moans and groans? They are lucky that's all they're getting, at most other clubs it would be worse but I think apathy has long since taken over.

I think the vast majority of Saints fans realise our place and just want to see a team that we can really get behind, that gives it's all and is competitive. Right now we're playing and acting like a lower league team that's out of it's depth in the PL. I'm 39 and for all but 7 of my years supporting Saints we've been in the top flight, so to keep getting told by the club's own hierarchy and it's mouthpieces how grateful we should be just to be in it and how small we are is pretty galling. The whole club reeks of a lack of belief and ambition like we don't belong here, I'd like to think SR would change that.

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

TBF he was probably convinced that we were signing Gakpo at that point....

He tweeted "regardless of what happens next it's been the best window" so absolutely not

48 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Yeah there seems to be a huge amount of revisionism going on around the window. We've strengthened in every department bar striker and I firmly believe there is no-one who left last season who would be starting ahead of any of the new signings (Broja excluded). We have a young, talented and raw squad - the right manager could do wonders with it

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

That's the case at every Premier League ground, it's nothing new at all. In fact our fans are incredibly timid and passive these days compared to most PL fanbases.

For context, over the last 6 and a bit years since Koeman left, our home form has been absolutely dire. In that period we have won only 36 out of 118 home games in the PL, over an extended time frame we have been utterly turgid and devoid of belief and that has filtered down to the fanbase, and I say this as someone who until very recently was very much a 'Ralph in' guy. It's been a long time since supporting Saints was any fun whatsoever, yet we're arrogant for a few moans and groans? They are lucky that's all they're getting, at most other clubs it would be worse but I think apathy has long since taken over.

I think the vast majority of Saints fans realise our place and just want to see a team that we can really get behind, that gives it's all and is competitive. Right now we're playing and acting like a lower league team that's out of it's depth in the PL. I'm 39 and for all but 7 of my years supporting Saints we've been in the top flight, so to keep getting told by the club's own hierarchy and it's mouthpieces how grateful we should be just to be in it and how small we are is pretty galling. The whole club reeks of a lack of belief and ambition like we don't belong here, I'd like to think SR would change that.

If you read the match thread on game day you would like that we hadn't passed to our own player all match. I read it on saturday and it seemed that we were terrible and had no fight. I watched the game on Sky (full match) and whilst we were not great it was not as bad as it seemed on here!!

It was interesting how duirng the game Man City get their body position in such a way that they funnel players to the side-lines where they can then win the ball. 

16 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Very good post. Apathy has set in without a doubt plus a lowering of standards. There are still fans out there who are full of praise for Ralph and his achievements. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I've now listened to his show last night and it's obvious that is what he's doing. I do think that is his view to some extent but he's clearly exaggerated things to provoke responses. I'm not sure he's going to endear himself to fans with that tactic. 

I'm not sure it is his view. I don't listen to Solent much but I can remember him criticising Ralph's tactics long before most people, and we have conflicting evidence of his view on the transfer window. Perhaps like most of us he changes his mind.

29 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

I'm not sure it is his view. I don't listen to Solent much but I can remember him criticising Ralph's tactics long before most people, and we have conflicting evidence of his view on the transfer window. Perhaps like most of us he changes his mind.

Yes, he did. Blackmore has been very critical of Ralph over time.

53 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

23 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Yes, he did. Blackmore has been very critical of Ralph over time.

I could be mis-remembering here but didn't Blackmore used to conduct a Thursday/Friday 1-2-1 interview with the manager (which the club used to punt out on YouTube around the same time as the pre-match press conference) but they ended up ditching them due to Blackmore not holding back on asking 'difficult' questions...?

As I say, perhaps my memory playing tricks on me but my recall is that he's dished out the criticism and praise in relatively equal measures over the years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I could be mis-remembering here but didn't Blackmore used to conduct a Thursday/Friday 1-2-1 interview with the manager (which the club used to punt out on YouTube around the same time as the pre-match press conference) but they ended up ditching them due to Blackmore not holding back on asking 'difficult' questions...?

As I say, perhaps my memory playing tricks on me but my recall is that he's dished out the criticism and praise in relatively equal measures over the years.

I don't remember that. I mean, I remember him interviewing managers but not it being a regular slot or anything. Surely they'd just request someone else if they didn't like how Adam was doing it? But I'm as likely (if not more so) to be misremembering as you.

1 hour ago, Tom & Gerry said:

Even when Ralph took over he seemed unimpressed and like he thought we should have stuck with Hughes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I've now listened to his show last night and it's obvious that is what he's doing. I do think that is his view to some extent but he's clearly exaggerated things to provoke responses. I'm not sure he's going to endear himself to fans with that tactic. 

It’s what he’s doing but risky tactic as if SR fire RH, MS and TS next week he’s looking awfully vulnerable and having alienated 90% of the fan/listener base. His behaviour was really odd at the fans forum too.

Its obvious with hindsight today that Semmens or someone around boardroom level tipped him off about Shields which is why the recruitment was getting pushed under the bus, when just a few weeks ago it was brace and exciting. Question is who recruited Shields in the first place? Impression was it was Rasmus in which case Blackmore just signed his P45 because he’ll be frozen out if West Ham win on Sunday and his plastic best mates get the heave ho. 

Edited by saint1977
Ago
  • Like 1

Anyone who strongly feels that we should change manager, or is unhappy with what's going on has their chance to let the club know on 26th October.

If you want to show how you feel then here's the perfect opportunity to bring a load of flares and banners along and vent some frustration rather than moaning on the internet!

Screenshot_2022-10-12-20-55-32-46_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

• Haha 1

THis is an article from the Atletic published 7 hours ago.

https://theathletic.com/3688747/2022/10/14/hasenhuttl-shields-sport-republic-southampton/

Hasenhuttl is under huge pressure, with his relationship with some players —including key figures in the dressing room — strained. As The Athletic reported earlier this month, the board are maintaining relationships with other managers.

With the next two matches, at home against West Ham on Sunday and away to neighbours Bournemouth on Wednesday, Hasenhuttl reaches a definitive juncture. Should the picture still look bleak after them, it is likely to prove the end for the Austrian after almost four years.

Ankersen will have the deciding say on the manager’s future and will head the process of appointing his replacement.

Sport Republic will also need to work out how best to move on from Shields if he joins Chelsea as expected, be it through a direct successor or a readjustment to key positions internally.

Southampton’s new ownership group is facing the first true test of its long-term aspirations.

The respective circumstances of Shields and Hasenhuttl, two individuals in senior positions at the club, only heighten the need for clarity as to what happens next.

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

THis is an article from the Atletic published 7 hours ago.

https://theathletic.com/3688747/2022/10/14/hasenhuttl-shields-sport-republic-southampton/

Hasenhuttl is under huge pressure, with his relationship with some players —including key figures in the dressing room — strained. As The Athletic reported earlier this month, the board are maintaining relationships with other managers.

With the next two matches, at home against West Ham on Sunday and away to neighbours Bournemouth on Wednesday, Hasenhuttl reaches a definitive juncture. Should the picture still look bleak after them, it is likely to prove the end for the Austrian after almost four years.

Ankersen will have the deciding say on the manager’s future and will head the process of appointing his replacement.

Sport Republic will also need to work out how best to move on from Shields if he joins Chelsea as expected, be it through a direct successor or a readjustment to key positions internally.

Southampton’s new ownership group is facing the first true test of its long-term aspirations.

The respective circumstances of Shields and Hasenhuttl, two individuals in senior positions at the club, only heighten the need for clarity as to what happens next.

takes the view that semmens is too close to Ralph to sack him out of the picture. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Something I think we were all thinking.

None of us wanted to see him sacked, we all wanted him to succeed, it’s just not working out as things stand.

Its not working out on several fronts, and someone of seniority needs to be seen to be grabbing hold of it, we seem totally rudderless at the moment. 

• Like 2

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think RA will take hold of it and own it. He still has a reputation on the line.

I hops so, but its gone on far too long already. Too much uncertainty, apparent unrest in the ranks, 3 seemingly leaked articles, 4 if you count this one as being potentially fed from within the club, backroom staff leaving, the crowd segregation nonsense, having to discount tickets to get people to turn up and that's without even addressing our onfield decline. Another issue that people may not be aware of is corroborate hospitality doesn't seem to be doing too well, I have season tickets, but also go corporate a few times each season for work, I'd say the lounge I was in was only 75% full for Everton, apparently lots of spaces for Man U as well. That will hurt. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

takes the view that semmens is too close to Ralph to sack him out of the picture. 

I still find it utterly bizarre that the CEO, who had no intention of stepping down/leaving was allowed to cherry pick our next owner… who’ve conveniently kept him in charge. 

Talk about a vested interest. 

• Like 3

On 12/10/2022 at 13:12, LuckyNumber7 said:

sums our situation up, well

• Like 2

Has anyone worked out the thought process of the 4 subs today?

Said it before and I will say it again. We have a team that due to being so badly organised defensively, need at least two goals to win.

Issue with that is we have such a lack of quality in forward areas we very rarely score 2 goals. 

Times up Ralph. Wish you well in the future but it’s not working here and it’s past the point of changing.

12 minutes ago, Mr Nimbus said:

Has anyone worked out the thought process of the 4 subs today?

Said it before and I will say it again. We have a team that due to being so badly organised defensively, need at least two goals to win.

Issue with that is we have such a lack of quality in forward areas we very rarely score 2 goals. 

Times up Ralph. Wish you well in the future but it’s not working here and it’s past the point of changing.

Not sure why Adams went off. He was at least winning balls and causing their defenders some problems.

Aribo going off was fine, he wasn't having a great game. Maitland-Niles was blowing out his arse so again that was understandable.

Not sure how Moi stayed on, he did alright first half but was terrible in the second and is so painfully slow if we are playing on the break.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

You can leave it where you like but it’s 3 wins in 22.

Mark Hughes had 5 in 27. He had 25 points from 27

Pellegrino had 21 points from last 22 games inc 3 wins

Ralph has 13 points from the last 22, 3 wins

we are on course to finish the season on 22 points only 3 teams have got lower than that in the last 10 years 

That’s how bad this run is but you are all arrogant 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 13:30, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Very good post. Apathy has set in without a doubt plus a lowering of standards. There are still fans out there who are full of praise for Ralph and his achievements. 

There’s a few wind-up merchants on here, but I can say that not one Saints fan I have spoken to thinks Ralph should still be in a job.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Mark Hughes had 5 in 27. He had 25 points from 27

Pellegrino had 21 points from last 22 games inc 3 wins

Ralph has 13 points from the last 22, 3 wins

That’s how bad this run is but you should all be grateful 

Not as bad as I thought regarding Ralph.

i would give him until Xmas so he can leave his legacy as the worse fucking manager that’s ever been in charge of Southampton Football Club.

Is that possible or was someone worse  than him?

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Not sure why Adams went off. He was at least winning balls and causing their defenders some problems.

Aribo going off was fine, he wasn't having a great game. Maitland-Niles was blowing out his arse so again that was understandable.

Not sure how Moi stayed on, he did alright first half but was terrible in the second and is so painfully slow if we are playing on the break.

Don’t think Aribo has broken a sweat since getting here tbh, haven’t seen him sprint yet 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Doesn’t get any better.  He cannot be left in charge any longer.

Understand you completely, however why go into Wednesday without a manager? he should have gone during the break so we can change the system. No matter what happens it will still be a Ralph style team vs Cherries with Selles / someone currently at the club in charge 

16 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Not as bad as I thought regarding Ralph.

i would give him until Xmas so he can leave his legacy as the worse fucking manager that’s ever been in charge of Southampton Football Club.

Is that possible or was someone worse  than him?

The John Gorman / Jason Dodd caretaker period was abject.

I think Dean Wilkins also lost 3 of 3 as caretaker.

Full time managers, we’ve had plenty of pathetic starts to the Premier League that make this one look successful. Ad in the massive losing stretch from the back end of last season, though, and the aspect changes massively.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl