Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

11 minutes ago, kelkel31 said:

How many times lately do you need to be wrong before you stop arguing about. Really is getting pathetic reading every thread where you try to correct everyone and never accept your wrong

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

It’s “you’re wrong” not “your wrong”

Point Agree GIF by Ford

Just to put our current form into perspective Pellegrino who everyone hated and thinks was one of the worst managers we’ve ever had was sacked after a run of one win in seventeen games. Ralph is currently at one win in fifteen….

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Just to put our current form into perspective Pellegrino who everyone hated and thinks was one of the worst managers we’ve ever had was sacked after a run of one win in seventeen games. Ralph is currently at one win in fifteen….

This is not his squad mate

• Haha 3

Agree, but Pellegrino was awful with no redeeming features of his tenure, and while I do want Ralph replaced now he has had decent spells here and is fairly likeable. We also spunked a record transfer fee on Carillo under Pellegrino before the club realised almost too late he should be sacked. His reign was a farce from beginning to end and it was only because of players we already had that we survived that season. If Ralph were to break that record of one win in 17 though, that would be unforgiveable.

Luckily we have to play United... 😄

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Pellegrino also had 9 draws in that 17 match run.

( EDIT, sorry Turks, didn't see your later post ).

Edited by badgerx16

Any club sacking a manager after 2 games of a season would be an absolute shambles and wouldn't reflect at all well on their decision making to retain him at the end of the last season.

Besides, they havent bought him a Broja replacement yet...

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, Dusic said:

Any club sacking a manager after 2 games of a season would be an absolute shambles and wouldn't reflect at all well on their decision making to retain him at the end of the last season.

Besides, they havent bought him a Broja replacement yet...

What sort of club would spend big money on a striker only to sack their manager a few games later? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I’ve said this before……we sacked Alan Pardew after 3 games and that worked out just fine in the end. In fact the biggest flaw was sacking him and not having the incoming manager ready to replace him until another 3 games (defeats) after that. If we are going to get rid of Ralph it needs a succession plan in place to ensure the switch happens quickly.

• Like 1

Trying to give an unbiased view of the game today. First half was a tight affair where we matched Leeds, second half Leeds made some tweaks and started very well, whilst we started poorly.

But... Ralph conversed with the coaches and acted decisively to Immediatley get us back into it. Last season we would have lost that game for sure. That right there is him doing something we've all wanted last season -  I.e. Having access to / listening to good supporting coaches and using them to make good tactical changes in games.

And the players clearly were still there playing for him given that comeback... Also, United have just given us all a perfect example of what an unhappy squad looks like.

Ultimatley, we've lost to spurs and drawn with Leeds. In response,  every single day so far has people calling for him to be sacked. Any talk of giving this young team of new players a fair chance this season seemingly out the window? 🤷‍♂️

As for the formation. I don't think any of the fans likes the 3-5-2 / 4-3-2-1 Formation. I do think 3-5-2 has its uses and we've implemented it well historically - But not with these players (young / new), our injuries at wing back, and the strikers we currently have. It just doesnt work (for me) - we invite pressure and under utilise our attackers. Maybe Ralph will realise it isn't working after today, or maybe he'll stick with it 🤷‍♂️. But eitherway, I will reserve judgement on that until we see what happens in the next game. There was promising signs today if people care to see it. 

Fwiw, I don't think we would have lasted fitness wise if we'd tried to play our 4-2-2-2 pressing game for 90min vs Leeds in that heat. We've seen Ralph do more defensive first halves before, before going for it when the oppo tires. Maybe that was part of the plan today, but it went astray and we changed it? But who really knows for certain just yet... We're only 2 games in at the end of the day. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I think if we're only talking league games it was actually 1 in 16 for Pellegrino (29 Oct 17 - 31 Jan 18, 1W-8D-7L, 11pts) compared to our current form bridging the last 2 seasons - 1 in 14 (5 mar 22 - 13 Aug 22, 1W-3D-10L, 6pts). For more comparison, our worst run ever in the Prem era was 8pts over 17 games (16 Jan 21 - 18 May 21, 2W-2D-13L) a run also overseen by Ralph.

Ralph also holds Prem era records for a Southampton boss for biggest home loss (9-0 – Leicester City Oct 19), biggest away loss (9-0 – Man Utd Feb 21), worst losing streak (6 losses – 16 Jan 21-14 Feb 21) and most amount of goals conceded in a season (68 – 2020/21 season, also gets second place with 67 goals in 2021/22). He only manages second place for worst Goal Difference (-24 last year) as Dave Jones has him beat on -27 in the 1998/99 season.

When people talk about not judging him based on just this season or the end of last season I think they forget just how historically bad the 2020/21 season was under him and that for those of us that did remember it we treated last season as his second chance where he managed to get even less points and goals than that year. The questioning of his tactics, formations and team selections is nothing new as there are plenty of instances as far back as March 21 if you go and look that far back on the forum in this very thread.

As nice as the comeback draw was today it's also worth noting the comparison to last years result in these 2 games - Last season we got 6pts with a +2 GD, this season it's 1pt with a -3 GD so we're currently already behind compared to last year as well. On the plus side if you only compare game-to-game we are on the same points as this time last year after 2 games. We didn't actually win any of our first 7 league games so if the club are going to show the same patience this year then Ralph can afford to not win any of the next 5 games.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Trying to give an unbiased view of the game today. First half was a tight affair where we matched Leeds, second half Leeds made some tweaks and started very well, whilst we started poorly.

But... Ralph conversed with the coaches and acted decisively to Immediatley get us back into it. Last season we would have lost that game for sure. That right there is him doing something we've all wanted last season -  I.e. Having access to / listening to good supporting coaches and using them to make good tactical changes in games.

And the players clearly were still there playing for him given that comeback... Also, United have just given us all a perfect example of what an unhappy squad looks like.

Ultimatley, we've lost to spurs and drawn with Leeds. In response,  every single day so far has people calling for him to be sacked. Any talk of giving this young team of new players a fair chance this season seemingly out the window? 🤷‍♂️

As for the formation. I don't think any of the fans likes the 3-5-2 / 4-3-2-1 Formation. I do think 3-5-2 has its uses and we've implemented it well historically - But not with these players (young / new), our injuries at wing back, and the strikers we currently have. It just doesnt work (for me) - we invite pressure and under utilise our attackers. Maybe Ralph will realise it isn't working after today, or maybe he'll stick with it 🤷‍♂️. But eitherway, I will reserve judgement on that until we see what happens in the next game. There was promising signs today if people care to see it. 

Fwiw, I don't think we would have lasted fitness wise if we'd tried to play our 4-2-2-2 pressing game for 90min vs Leeds in that heat. We've seen Ralph do more defensive first halves before, before going for it when the oppo tires. Maybe that was part of the plan today, but it went astray and we changed it? But who really knows for certain just yet... We're only 2 games in at the end of the day. 

Pretty much agree with the entirety of this.

Based on today the players are clearly playing for him. Don’t believe everything you read in the papers (especially The Daily Mail). And the fact that Aribo and KWP have both come out kissing the badge and said rumours like this aren’t to be believed I think speaks volumes.

Ralph survives another day, but my god he needs to ditch Bednarek and the five at the back!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Pretty much agree with the entirety of this.

Based on today the players are clearly playing for him. Don’t believe everything you read in the papers (especially The Daily Mail). And the fact that Aribo and KWP have both come out kissing the badge and said rumours like this aren’t to be believed I think speaks volumes.

Ralph survives another day, but my god he needs to ditch Bednarek and the five at the back!

I genuinely believe a fair share of our issues are down to Bednarek. He is the one constant in that defence since 2018 I think? He has definitely regressed under Ralph and seems to have an attitude problem. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

So 5 - 4 -1 then when defending, thanks for confirming.

Why have you used the confused emoji ? 
Which bit do you need help understanding ?

Last post I’m allowed to use today. So you’ll have to wait until tomorrow for an answer unless someone else can help you out.

Edited by Sarisbury Saint

17 minutes ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Why have you used the confused emoji ? 
Which bit do you need help understanding ?

Last post I’m allowed to use today. So you’ll have to wait until tomorrow for an answer unless someone else can help you out.

You seemed to quote yourself there, so @Matthew Le God, explain yourself please.

• Haha 2

His decisions are baffelling 

Has ABK improved enormously in the last 7 days? Not good enough for a minute last week (Valery was) and yet look assured today.

The new players need time to learn how to play a 442/4222, yet for 2 weeks looked lost (ie, shit) with the training wheels on (352), but all looked comfortable when we chop to the edgy 4222 today

Adams, not good enough for a minute on the pitch last week, yet gets a full 90 today.

Where the hell is Mo come from today?

Fire fighting for no reason at all.

22 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

His decisions are baffelling 

Has ABK improved enormously in the last 7 days? Not good enough for a minute last week (Valery was) and yet look assured today.

The new players need time to learn how to play a 442/4222, yet for 2 weeks looked lost (ie, shit) with the training wheels on (352), but all looked comfortable when we chop to the edgy 4222 today

Adams, not good enough for a minute on the pitch last week, yet gets a full 90 today.

Where the hell is Mo come from today?

Fire fighting for no reason at all.

You'd criticise him if he didn't change things up after last week's fiasco, but are criticising him for changing it up. What did you want, the same?

• Like 4

Just now, egg said:

You'd criticise him if he didn't change things up after last week's fiasco, but are criticising him for changing it up. What did you want, the same?

Clearly I am criticising him for having to fire-fight despite not selling anyone of note, and his weird decisions...

Clearly

8 minutes ago, egg said:

He’s got a point though. Bella-Kotchap is clearly miles better than Valery, that must have been obvious all preseason 

Adams didn’t get a look in last week yet played the full 90 today

Mo for Aribo was a weird one as well 

he changed it today so all credit it too him, the question had to be asked as to why those players and those tactics were there in the first place 

Edited by Turkish

12 minutes ago, egg said:

There’s a middle ground to what you’ve stated. 

Not changing from last week would have been foolish. Changing it to todays line up involved 4 different players starting, but I think you’ll struggle to find many who watched the game who would say we started with the ‘correct’ line up or formation. Our last twenty minutes or so of today was the best we’ve looked so far. I think people are encouraging more of that type of lineup and style. It certainly was worlds away from the first three-quarters of the game, which was fairly abject. We didn’t have a shot in target in the first hour.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’s got a point though. Bella-Kotchap is clearly miles better than Valery, that must have been obvious all preseason 

he changed it today so all credit it too him, the question had to be asked as to why those players and those tactics were there in the first place 

I don't know how many times it needs repeating but throwing four young debutants into the same team, for a fixture like Spurs away, is just asking for trouble. Valery is nothing special at this level but at the very least he knows the rest of the players well and has appeared competent in a back three in the past.

There's clearly something going on with Adams and potential transfers behind the scenes, for him to not even get on the pitch last week.

Mo started because we're always going to have to make changes mid game with the new sub rule. I'd rather it was this way round than having to bring on Moi to try and change the game.

His decisions today made sense. We've still got two first choice fullbacks with long term injuries and are missing anything resembling a decent striker or options in AM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

And that’s ignoring a similar run at the end of the season before, as well. 

Truth be told, we’ve had a run of 2 Or 3 stints of form and the rest served up Has been total shit. 

Im expecting that we’ll pull the trigger and we’ll probably go down whilst the Ralph Cult will say “I told you so” ignoring that we’re on a relegation slide under him. 

Valery for BK may have been for good reason - BK may have needed this extra week. Valery was actually a little unlucky to lose out this week, but the change was justified and Ralph got it right.

Mo for Aribo, yep no idea what that was about. No logic there.

25 minutes ago, egg said:

Just to play your best players, where possible, each week and not try and be smart. 

we’ve not got good enough player or management to try and be smart. Just do the basics. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't know how many times it needs repeating but throwing four young debutants into the same team, for a fixture like Spurs away, is just asking for trouble.

We lost 4-1, how much trouble could there have been? We were comprehensively beaten. Also, Valery has played far fewer games in the past two years than Billy Ketchup.

It’s a nonsense of an argument you’re making. Especially as Valery was so shit that he was replaced at half time (by Jack Stephens Ffs).

Just now, The Kraken said:

We lost 4-1, how much trouble could there have been? We were comprehensively beaten. Also, Valery has played far fewer games in the past two years than Billy Ketchup.

It’s a nonsense of an argument you’re making. Especially as Valery was so shit that he was replaced at half time (by Jack Stephens Ffs).

It is an argument that only exists on saintsweb. Pretty funny that it “needs repeating”

unless we should have left Lavia on the bench, may have made the score more respectable?

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Totally agree. If those new players are better than the existing ones, play them. They've been here for pre season so they are all fit enough. 

9 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't know how many times it needs repeating but throwing four young debutants into the same team, for a fixture like Spurs away, is just asking for trouble. Valery is nothing special at this level but at the very least he knows the rest of the players well and has appeared competent in a back three in the past.

There's clearly something going on with Adams and potential transfers behind the scenes, for him to not even get on the pitch last week.

Mo started because we're always going to have to make changes mid game with the new sub rule. I'd rather it was this way round than having to bring on Moi to try and change the game.

His decisions today made sense. We've still got two first choice fullbacks with long term injuries and are missing anything resembling a decent striker or options in AM.

You write that as if it's a fact. It's not. It's your opinion. There's zero reason to give 3 debut's and not 4. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lighthouse said:

How many times does Valery have to prove he’s not a premier league level player? He was supposedly good enough to start last week away at spurs but didn’t get a minute today against Leeds. 

as I said credit for the changes but really, how many times do the same players doing the same things making the same mistakes before we fuck them off?

7 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

By all accounts lucky it was 4, plenty said that was only because spurs took their foot off our necks. Could easily have been 6 or 7 maybe worse. 

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Very welcome comments. But he literally said a few days ago that this system takes a bit of time for the new players to learn. 
either way, Leicester and Man United are there to be got at.

Yep Man United are fragile, lost 8 away games in a row, need to get at them from the start them like Brentford did, bet they can’t wait to play us to end their bad run

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

There's something very odd going on. He hasn't said anything positive about the 5-3-2 yet continues to play it? It's rather baffling. 

Unless we all have it wrong and this formation has been given to him?

surely he would not hang around for that???

3 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Probably over analysing things but Ralph just doesn't seem himself this season. Could be a number of reasons for it but to me something has happened/is happening behind the scenes. I'm just not sure what. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I did raise this on another post I made today. I haven’t made my mind up on it yet, but I find the whole thing a bit of a conundrum. I’m not convinced it’s Ralph’s idea.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Very welcome comments. But he literally said a few days ago that this system takes a bit of time for the new players to learn. 
either way, Leicester and Man United are there to be got at.

Ok, I’m more convinced that this isn’t Ralph’s idea. Worrying. Hopefully the message has got through to whoever.

Just now, The Kraken said:

Ok, I’m more convinced that this isn’t Ralph’s idea. Worrying. Hopefully the message has got through to whoever.

Brentford play 3 at the back, right? 
did they previous to the current manager? Dean Smith at Brentford???

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl