Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

This all feels like it starting to have a very depressingly familiar feel to it. Who knows exactly what is going on or what the truth is but I can’t believe that SR aren’t over it. I can’t believe the season has started and we still are completely toothless upfront. Football is about scoring more goals than the opposing team. No idea where our goals are going to come from, it was our biggest priority in my opinion, I’m sure we’re in the market but bloody get it done. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

It really does feel like things are coming to a head. I'm not sure how much longer the club can continue in this manner. There surely has to be some signs of progress on Saturday. 

It’s already a relegation six pointer. Needed to act way before now. Negligent management all round. Ralph still wants compo. We haven’t got it. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, I don’t think that’s the case though. The discontent is a culmination of things that go back to the second half of the season.  You can absolutely disagree and think Ralph needs to stay but it’s disingenuous to suggest this is the result of one game. You’re better than that.

Spot on the annoyance towards Ralph is not the result of one game, and yes noone really expected to beat spurs but it is the manner of the defeat and letting in four more goals when the manager had bigged up that we have worked on the defence over the summer! the simple truth is  over the last 20 games or more he has been seriously under performing and the number of goals conceded is crazy, he has been backed but still continues to insist on formations that don't suit the players! Most not all fans are feeling that a change is needed and you cant blame them for that as after the results and crazy decisions we have endured we have been more than patient with ralph

• Like 2

I think Ralph’s time has come, especially with defeat tomorrow. 

But how many managers have these players down tools for now? There’s a core group that have been here throughout - Stephens, Redmond, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, possibly Bednarek. Are any of these the running off to headmaster shouting “we don’t like the teacher”

I wonder…..

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

But how many managers have these players down tools for now? There’s a core group that have been here throughout - Stephens, Redmond, Romeu, Ward-Prowse, possibly Bednarek. Are any of these the running off to headmaster shouting “we don’t like the teacher”

I wonder…..

They should name the player/players that went to the press in my opinion...at least have the courage to stand by your opinions when speaking out! But they won't do that as cowardly footballers being paid a mint! 

• Like 3

Who should ‘name the players involved’? They’re leaks, not officially sanctioned interviews. The whole point is that they’re anonymous. 

Obviously the Athletic isn’t going to name their source, and it’s not like the club press officer is in the background calling up the Athletic and saying ‘Do you want half an hour on the phone with Che to talk about how the manager’s lost the dressing room?’ 

It will be happening via a disgruntled player’s agent on condition of anonymity. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I wonder…..

This is my main bugbear with this coming up again, there is that small handful of players who have failed to perform for multiple managers that we need to get rid of (I would probably exclude Romeu and JWP from the list above though!) I would rather shift out the consistent underperformers like Bednarek, Stephens, Walcott, Djenepo and Redmond, which it seems like we are willing to, just that they are so shite that nobody will take them with the wages they are probably on here - which is why, as others have alluded to, it seems we may have no option but to move onto Adams to get some funds in (if needed). Although, it begs the question why Stephens signed an extension if he is indeed one of those who are unhappy...

The players need to take some blame to a certain extent here, too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

This is my main bugbear with this coming up again, there is that small handful of players who have failed to perform for multiple managers that we need to get rid of (I would probably exclude Romeu and JWP from the list above though!) I would rather shift out the consistent underperformers like Bednarek, Stephens, Walcott, Djenepo and Redmond, which it seems like we are willing to, just that they are so shite that nobody will take them with the wages they are probably on here - which is why, as others have alluded to, it seems we may have no option but to move onto Adams to get some funds in (if needed). Although, it begs the question why Stephens signed an extension if he is indeed one of those who are unhappy...

Yes I dont think JWP or Romeu are involved in any of it, certainly Romeu had his career here bought back to life by Ralph after Hughes seemingly thought he was crap. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

Although, it begs the question why Stephens signed an extension if he is indeed one of those who are unhappy...

Answer: security, and lack of any better options. 

If I was coming towards the end of a contract on a huge amount of money that I knew I wasn’t going to get close to anywhere else, and someone offered to guarantee it for another 3-4 years, I’d sign up too, whether I was happy or not. 

The real question is why on earth we offered it to him if there were major question marks over performance. Same as McCarthy. It’s just really poor executive management. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think if we lost convincingly tomorrow Ralph would walk. 
If we lost 1-0 he wouldn’t stick around. A draw or a win for us and the mood changes immediately.

Draw or win! not for me. If RH got either, he would change the team for the next match, the guy has not got a clue.

6 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If we lost 1-0 he wouldn’t stick around. A draw or a win for us and the mood changes immediately.

I think it’s highly unlikely anyone would walk away for nothing when they could stick it out for another couple of weeks, get sacked and walk away with a pay-off of millions instead. 

EDIT: Oh god, I’m agreeing with MLG. 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

It begs the question why Stephens signed an extension if he is indeed one of those who are unhappy.

Jack Stephens did not sign his contract extension recently. It was in September 2020, a lot can change in nearly 2 years.

Edited by Matthew Le God

24 minutes ago, Mr X said:

They should name the player/players that went to the press in my opinion...at least have the courage to stand by your opinions when speaking out! But they won't do that as cowardly footballers being paid a mint! 

But on the flip side if your a footballer who has ambition rather than money and wants to progress to the next level/international caps etc and can see first hand the shambles going on in front of you  why wouldn't you speak out,  yes not so much to press but why would you go to Semmens when there seems to be a bit of a 'jobs for the boys culture ' people said at least a year ago possibly 18mths ago Ralph's been given to much power at the club, from the outside looking in its looks pretty unprofessional, Ralph and Semmens all pally, tick, the previous coaching set up all pally pally, tick, now at the fans forum it could be seen perhaps a little tension between Ralph and Semmens for the first time, is this a sign of one covering there own arses.  None of us know, be it the lack of investment from Gao,  is it Ralph's apparent poor man management and obvious flaws tactically that people have finally had enough. I've spoke to 2 players over the last 3 yrs, 1 being Austin and I can say although he gets a hard time and deserves it for some shocking performances he was a really good friendly bloke who loves his football but is outspoken, we all thought it hilarious about his 'ref rant' but when he comments on Ralph he's a #@#@ the other player, a current 1st team squad player was less than impressed with Ralph. Anyway rant over but feel this is now the end of Ralph possibly Ralph and Semmens 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Jack Stephens did not sign his contract extension recently. It was in September 2020, a lot can change in nearly 2 years.

"Elsewhere, Alex McCarthy and Jack Stephens agreed new terms during the 2021/22 campaign."

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-06-10/southampton-football-club-2022-retained-list-released-players

On 07/05/2022 at 17:14, Suhari said:

So frustrating. I like RH and he has delivered some great performances.

He's got an average to shit squad, and little opportunity to invest.

He's got a patched together coaching team: really, how many of our first team coaches would get jobs at other EPL clubs?

So he's not got an ideal base for success. Its a real shame.

But he's also seemingly stubborn, makes some woeful team selections and tactical decisions, and simply can't influence things 'in game'. And there's just too many truly awful performances.

I remain, just, only just, on the 'RH in' bandwagon. Let's freshen up the squad, get him a new coaching team and go again next season. Something needs to change.

That said: I wouldn't shed a tear if he left or was fired.

I still feel the same.

Good that we've got the new coaching team; good that we've had some squad investment (definitely need a few more of starting quality). I REALLY want him to come good - when we're on form under RH, we've been fantastic to watch. (Yes, I know the opposite is completely true! 💩💩💩)

Didn't like some of his comments at the fan's forum though; looked under pressure. I doubt SR liked his (or Semmens) comments. It does feel like the tide has turned against him, but I'm rooting for him to get us back to our post lockdown form over the next 7 games. Not easy - momentum curves and stuff*.

Gut feel is he won't manage to and will be gone by October sadly. Hope I'm incorrect on this. Needs a big performance on Satuurday.

* Where is Glasgow Saint/Heisenberg/Kenyan chappie these days?

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Saint-Reece said:

"Elsewhere, Alex McCarthy and Jack Stephens agreed new terms during the 2021/22 campaign."

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-06-10/southampton-football-club-2022-retained-list-released-players

Jack signed his new deal, in secret obviously(weird) at the end of project restart I believe. They basically reacted to him having a couple of good games (at home to Man City being one). Those contracts, along with Theo, really hamper a lot of the good work Martin and co have done. The fact they were done in secret is even more odd.

I really like Ralph, and I'd like things to work out with him. His passion is infectious (for me anyway), he clearly cares about this club. 

However, it feels like this is the beginning of the end to me. Form has been dreadful for so long, new owners, squad isn't great, and I think should we lose tomorrow it's going to really ramp up as the games after that are horrid. Much as I like the guy, sometimes things just come to an end it feels like we're almost there.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, saints-cris said:

I really like Ralph, and I'd like things to work out with him. His passion is infectious (for me anyway), he clearly cares about this club. 

However, it feels like this is the beginning of the end to me. Form has been dreadful for so long, new owners, squad isn't great, and I think should we lose tomorrow it's going to really ramp up as the games after that are horrid. Much as I like the guy, sometimes things just come to an end it feels like we're almost there.

I agree with this entirely.

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 3

This "news" from the Mail confuses me. IF it is true, {and I am not saying it isn't), it seems strange to me that after the positive things that SR have done (buying the club, refreshing the coaching staff, recruiting Joe Shields, spending decent money early on in the Transfer Window without/before actually selling anybody......all of which the fans have been calling for), they would risk it all by letting any supposed rift between senior players and the manager develop/carry on...

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Like 1

I know I keep on about Sports Republic and I’m still impressed by their set up and what they have achieved so far. Surely everything they have done is going down the toilet if they don’t act. Unless it’s a remarkably stunning win tomorrow nothing changes we are in a mess. 
It’s time for them to make a statement and/ or act. 
anyone who watched the Rasmus Ankersen Ted Talk can see these aren’t stupid guys. Let’s see some action.

Edited by manji
  • Like 3

Can't really see the logic of living through that period of horrendous form in the back half of last season, opting to keep RH on and make the moves we made in the summer, just to then cut him loose after one game of the new season - albeit an awful one. 

The time to sack him was months ago, when the pool of potential replacements ran a bit deeper than it does now.

Doing it now suggests the board has suddenly become a bit reactionary, which is not ideal in itself.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Saint-Reece said:

Exactly my view. We needed a squad rebuild and clearly some players aren't part of the plan. Some of them shouldn't be, quite frankly.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Exactly my view. We needed a squad rebuild and clearly some players aren't part of the plan. Some of them shouldn't be, quite frankly.

I've always followed this view as well to be honest. Not just at Southampton in particular, but all football clubs.

Man Utd are a great example of this. They've gone through so many managers, in some cases the players have downed tools to force the manager out/make his life harder. Those players stay and still perform shit under the next one. And rinse repeat.  Managers are seen as the quick and easy fix and often it leads to a bit of a bounce, but if the divisive characters remain in the changing room then you’ll get groundhog day again.

We've changed a few players in recent years, so there's more of Ralph's choices here than originally and this summer has certainly been a step in changing things up, but there is still a core of players who have failed under numerous managers - and some of that core are still part of match day squads.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Think that’s why I was ‘annoyed’ at Stephens and McCarthy contracts neither are good enough for Prem and should have been replaced. That couldn’t have been difficult with wages they are on.

We still haven’t recruited for first 11 yet alone the squad and why am surprised Ralph isn’t gone yet.

I so want him to do well but like above think his day has gone.

Last season I kept thinking he can’t survive another loss and he did. I thought they would pull the trigger at the end of the season. They didn’t.

They have now bought a lot of young players in who clearly are going to take time to find their feet. I thought interestingly a comment made by Semmens aboutRalph was that Ralph didn’t rate experience, and that talent beats experience [paraphrasing). now this could be him saying that the players brought in are Ralph’s choice. Young with raw talent that needs developing. 

if they believe this Ralph stays in the belief he will ride the storm and the team will start performing.  My biggest concern is that I have seen no evidence that Ralph knows how to develop and organise a defence. He believes defence is solved by formation not experience  

one thing is certain to stop this misfiring machine he needs consistency of structure, approach and team to embed a team.  I’ve never seen great team building where there is little consistency in the people in the team, and too much change not being managed well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saints-cris said:

However, it feels like this is the beginning of the end to me. Form has been  under the Chinesedreadful for so long, new owners, squad isn't great, and I think should we lose tomorrow it's going to really ramp up as the games after that are horrid. Much as I like the guy, sometimes things just come to an end it feels like we're almost there.

Very sad because he has had a  hard road with us under the Chinese guy who wasn't interested in us and left Ralph with no support. Yet the guy has kept us up, he's done well and against the odds, but it does seem the tide is now against him. Very sad, he is an honest straight forward guy---quite rare in today's football

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

A draw no. These are our relegation rivals, a draw would be a poor result at home. A win would breathe a bit of positivity into the club with (apparently) some transfers yet to come but it doesn't change the last 6 months of poor decisions etc. If he won the next 3 or 4 I might change my tune but I can't see it. I can't even see us winning tomorrow tbf.

• Like 1

So I hope that rubbish today is inaccurate because if he really wants 18-20 squad that worked so well last time.

Hopefully that’s tosh especially when you read Diallo, Stephens, Bednarek and Redmond can go and next line says replacements may come in!!

Edited by Give it to Ron

16 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

A draw no. These are our relegation rivals, a draw would be a poor result at home. A win would breathe a bit of positivity into the club with (apparently) some transfers yet to come but it doesn't change the last 6 months of poor decisions etc. If he won the next 3 or 4 I might change my tune but I can't see it. I can't even see us winning tomorrow tbf.

No way will he walk whatever the circumstances. It's about compensation, even for those we think are honourable. Personally don't think a draw is the end of the world. They are no mugs, Leeds. And our team spirit must be at rock bottom, not to mention our aptitude...

Not really on subject, but I am alarmed when I read references along the lines of "Lose tomorrow and he has to go, win and everything will be rosy". I know it's a modern thing to want instant gratification in everything, but I also felt the reaction to last Saturday's game was way over the top - it's only 6 months since we went to Spurs and won! And won using the same tactic that Spurs used against us. Anyone remember Ward Prowse being in acres of space on our right, and putting crosses in that were converted by Elyounoussi and Adams? Come Saturday the boot was on the other foot, and a stand-in defender, Djenepo, left similar space in exactly the same place, and what was the result?

What I'm getting at is that these things take time. Even a master like Conte had to learn, and he appears to be getting there. Much as I love Liverpool (not!), you have to admit that much of their success is based on a steady team selection, and how many years has Klopp been there? Anyone who follows football could name their first-choice eleven last season. Week after week. Who's to say that we won't be able to do the same with a Hassenhuttl side in a few months time? I don't consider his time as having started until the arrival, and support, of Sports Republic.

3 minutes ago, Piran said:

Not really on subject, but I am alarmed when I read references along the lines of "Lose tomorrow and he has to go, win and everything will be rosy". I know it's a modern thing to want instant gratification in everything, but I also felt the reaction to last Saturday's game was way over the top - it's only 6 months since we went to Spurs and won! And won using the same tactic that Spurs used against us. Anyone remember Ward Prowse being in acres of space on our right, and putting crosses in that were converted by Elyounoussi and Adams? Come Saturday the boot was on the other foot, and a stand-in defender, Djenepo, left similar space in exactly the same place, and what was the result?

What I'm getting at is that these things take time. Even a master like Conte had to learn, and he appears to be getting there. Much as I love Liverpool (not!), you have to admit that much of their success is based on a steady team selection, and how many years has Klopp been there? Anyone who follows football could name their first-choice eleven last season. Week after week. Who's to say that we won't be able to do the same with a Hassenhuttl side in a few months time? I don't consider his time as having started until the arrival, and support, of Sports Republic.

Absolutely, Mrs Hasenhuttl.

Edited by Alan Sugarfree
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Piran said:

If his ‘steady team selection’ involves picking Valery as a CB, SA as a striker, and Djenepo as a LB/LWB, then thanks, but no thanks. The guy is clueless, most on here pick a better team and team tactic.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Piran said:

I agree that tomorrows result tells us nothing at all, but i disagree there is still credit in the bank for something that happened 6 months ago, when you look at what has happened in the period since. I believe he should have been shown the door before the end, or at the end of last season, but right now I am completely unsure what is best. But we are file, a good performance tomorrow will change the mood drastically.

36 minutes ago, Piran said:

Conte has learnt a damn sight quicker than Ralph hasn't he 🙂

On the subject of selection consistency - this is one of the biggest criticisms of Ralph - he barely ever keeps the same side and always tinkers

• Like 1

Interesting take on our issue from Simon Jordan.....

Lost a bit of respect for Ralph when he started snivelling on the floor when we beat Liverpool.

Can't believe Ralph would sit by and NOT be involved in the changes in the coaching staff

Should be able to work out (internally) where these leaks are coming from

Dancing too close to the wind (relegation) to keep getting away with it

New ownership; Ralph is not their man, so will be interesting

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl