Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

On 12/08/2022 at 11:51, Piran said:

Not really on subject, but I am alarmed when I read references along the lines of "Lose tomorrow and he has to go, win and everything will be rosy". I know it's a modern thing to want instant gratification in everything, but I also felt the reaction to last Saturday's game was way over the top - it's only 6 months since we went to Spurs and won!

I sympathise with season ticket holders and regular match-goers this year, as it must be infuriating to be paying to watch the team perform as it has done for most of this year but I agree. Losing against Spurs is not necessarily the bellwether for performance across the overall season. Last year's first match we lost to Everton FFS, but we did ok up to November.

I think that like last season we (and Sports Republic) can probably give him about 6 games to get a better view of where we're heading. See if we can get any wins against Leeds, Leicester and Brentford and pick up a draw against anyone else.

(Getting this post in before we lose to Leeds tomorrow and I return spitting feathers)

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I've always followed this view as well to be honest. Not just at Southampton in particular, but all football clubs.

Man Utd are a great example of this. They've gone through so many managers, in some cases the players have downed tools to force the manager out/make his life harder. Those players stay and still perform shit under the next one. And rinse repeat.  Managers are seen as the quick and easy fix and often it leads to a bit of a bounce, but if the divisive characters remain in the changing room then you’ll get groundhog day again.

We've changed a few players in recent years, so there's more of Ralph's choices here than originally and this summer has certainly been a step in changing things up, but there is still a core of players who have failed under numerous managers - and some of that core are still part of match day squads.

Good post - I wonder if the players who have turned on Ralph are the same ones that have been here for ages and have performed poorly for manager after manager (e.g. Redmond, Stephens, Bednarek, ...)?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Interesting take on our issue from Simon Jordan.....

Lost a bit of respect for Ralph when he started snivelling on the floor when we beat Liverpool.

Can't believe Ralph would sit by and NOT be involved in the changes in the coaching staff

Should be able to work out (internally) where these leaks are coming from

Dancing too close to the wind (relegation) to keep getting away with it

New ownership; Ralph is not their man, so will be interesting

Fucking spot on. 

47 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

I sympathise with season ticket holders and regular match-goers this year, as it must be infuriating to be paying to watch the team perform as it has done for most of this year but I agree. Losing against Spurs is not necessarily the bell-weather for performance across the overall season. Last year's first match we lost to Everton FFS, but we did ok up to November.

I think you sum it up quite nicely in your first paragraph - people aren't upset simply because of the Spurs game, rather it's the culmination of what happened in the second half of the season and the poor spells before that.

The only question is whether you think Ralph is capable of turning it round.  Unfortunately I don't.  The formation has been used pre-season and it was obvious then that it didn't work, the players he's picking are bizarre choices and he looks incapable of motivating the players or getting them to understand what's required.  The justifications for the formation and the team selections don't make sense or bear up to any scrutiny - I doubt even he believes some of the stuff he comes out with.  He's had a long time in the job and appears to be getting worse and whatever happens you can't say he hasn't had enough chances.

It's a shame.  There's a lot to like about Ralph and in parts he's done a good job on limited resources but I get the impression he's not waving but drowning right now.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Conte has learnt a damn sight quicker than Ralph hasn't he 🙂

On the subject of selection consistency - this is one of the biggest criticisms of Ralph - he barely ever keeps the same side and always tinkers

And yet when he has played a settled team, June 2020- August 2020 and Jan 2022-March 2022 we've gone on good runs and picked up points. strange how we can see it yet he cant?

• Like 4

First post…so be gentle. 

I don’t doubt Ralph’s passion or self-belief.  It’s those traits that a lot of us fell in love with, particularly after a string of uninspiring appointments.  He loves the game, works hard and is clearly dedicated. 

But I think the main issues with Ralph is stubbornness and need for complete control.   

Take his explanation for quitting Leipzig:

“We had a home game against Bayern Munich when we won 2-1 and afterwards there was speaking about not enough Red Bull philosophy in that game.

“This was some parts where I couldn’t then agree, so it was important for me to step out and go my own way and to learn other things also”

I'd argue this need for control and stubbornness could also help explain why we had no Assistant Manager for so long, why we had inexperienced coaches for so long, why he favours working with younger players, why reports of falling out with players occur, why despite a run of shocking results no radical change was made and why he wanted to come to here in the first place.

I think we are starting to see signs of SR challenging his control, and it will be interesting to see if he is both willing and capable of accepting this.  My bet, he won't. 

Edited by Swils
grammar
  • Like 12

After a bit of deliberation, may I make a last few observations on Ralph and his impact as our Manager in the last 3 years.

I'm 74 years of age and been a commited Saints supporters since I was 11 years old and we were in the old Third division, Ted Bates was our Manager and Derek Reeves and Georgie O'Brien were scoring goals aplenty at the Dell.

I also attend all home matches and a few away fixtures.

So, just in case a few on here accuse me of being a "wet fanny ".....whatever that actually means, this is my honest take.

I attended the match against Spurs last Saturday and I'm not making a judgement on whether Ralph should go right now , merely on that match alone but rather over the last 12 matches.

When the side was announced I along with many thousands of Saints supporters thought.....what and  why ????

He slected Djenepo at left wing back rather than a perfectly adequate and rather nuggety and commited left back in Peraud. And if anyone gives the excuse of fitness, he was on the bench and would have to have played any number of minutes in the match if Djenepo had been injured early on.

I have watched Djenepo quite closely at St.Marys and I dont think I have ever seen a more unlikely footballer than him !  

We have 5 centre backs on the books in Bednarek, Salisu, Stephens, Lyanco and the new guy Bella- Kotchap. And Ralph selects Valery !!!!!. Watching him closely again I think he is crude, clumsy,slow with little match awareness.

And then , the greatest mystery of selection in that match....Armstrong to play up front....alone ! Now in the limited time he has had on the pictch with us, I would question whether he is big enough, strong enough and/ or skilful enough.

And so in trepidation I watched the match unfold at Spurs and within 15 minutes you feared the worst. There was a moment....I think in the firts half, when we actually had the ball around their penalty area. We did what we have been doing for quite a while under Ralph now and moved the ball slowly from player to player. I actully said to my mate, that we are going to lose it here and Spurs will sweep away and score against an unorganised defence. And they did ! The sight of Djenepo, racing back, fully 40 yards behind the play was comical !

Please tell me....anyone on here.....have we not seen that before so many times under Ralphs reign .

So,,my unease at Ralph continuing as our Manager for the rest of this season is his selection, his strategy, his tactics and his use of substitutions. A prime example of the last one is not bringing Adams on for Armstrong in he second half.

The guy never seems to learn or adapt. This is not hate Ralph by the way. I actually think he is a good and honest man. However, I do think he has an ego and will not adapt. In 40 years of working my experience showed me that most people who get into postions of power have an ego. It's part of the makeup.

So, my personal opinion.....and that's all that it is.....is that I would be a little reluctant for Ralph to now go afer 1 solitary match. But you have to take in the last 11 or so matches of last season too. He now has to show to us fans that he can change from making these seemingly inexplicable selections. I would like to see what happens over the next 4/5 games. I think they will be crucial on how we progress this season .

If we then need to change ,we need to make it then as we coud be languishing in the bottom 3 and it would take a huge effort to make up those early points.

Two last points. I wish Ralph well if he does go. Putting it into a bit of perspective too......I have been a Saints fan for more than 60 years. Ralph has been here for 3 . I will still be here when he eventually goes so I think I have a right to an opinion as it is my club.

And....please understand I am not making a political point here ! Ralph earns a reported £7 million pounds per year as Saints manager plus I presume add ons. I very much doubt whether too many CEO's of FTSE 100 companies earn that much as a salary. Oh and our Prime Minister....whoever that may be....earns £164,000. I believe.

Makes you think eh    

• Like 23

35 minutes ago, Francis1947 said:

After a bit of deliberation, may I make a last few observations on Ralph and his impact as our Manager in the last 3 years.

I'm 74 years of age and been a commited Saints supporters since I was 11 years old and we were in the old Third division, Ted Bates was our Manager and Derek Reeves and Georgie O'Brien were scoring goals aplenty at the Dell.

So, just in case a few on here accuse me of being a "wet fanny ".....whatever that actually means, this is my honest take.

I attended the match against Spurs last Saturday and I'm not making a judgement on whether Ralph should go right now , merely on that match alone but rather over the last 12 matches.

When the side was announced I along with many thousands of Saints supporters thought.....what and  why ????

He slected Djenepo at left wing back rather than a perfectly adequate and rather nuggety and commited left back in Peraud. And if anyone gives the excuse of fitness, he was on the bench and would have to have played any number of minutes in the match if Djenepo had been injured early on.

I have watched Djenepo quite closely at St.Marys and I dont think I have ever seen a more unlikely footballer than him !  

We have 5 centre backs on the books in Bednarek, Salisu, Stephens, Lyanco and the new guy Bella- Kotchap. And Ralph selects Valery !!!!!. Watching him closely again I think he is crude, clumsy,slow with little match awareness.

And then , the greatest mystery of selection in that match....Armstrong to play up front....alone ! Now in the limited time he has had on the pictch with us, I would question whether he is big enough, strong enough and/ or skilful enough.

And so in trepidation I watched the match unfold at Spurs and within 15 minutes you feared the worst. There was a moment....I think in the firts half, when we actually had the ball around their penalty area. We did what we have been doing for quite a while under Ralph now and moved the ball slowly from player to player. I actully said to my mate, that we are going to lose it here and Spurs will sweep away and score against an unorganised defence. And they did ! The sight of Djenepo, racing back, fully 40 yards behind the play was comical !

Please tell me....anyone on here.....have we not seen that before so many times under Ralphs reign .

So,,my unease at Ralph continuing as our Manager for the rest of this season is his selection, his strategy, his tactics and his use of substitutions. A prime example of the last one is not bringing Adams on for Armstrong in he second half.

The guy never seems to learn or adapt. This is not hate Ralph by the way. I actually think he is a good and honest man. However, I do think he has an ego and will not adapt. In 40 years of working my experience showed me that most people who get into postions of power have an ego. It's part of the makeup.

So, my personal opinion.....and that's all that it is.....is that I would be a little reluctant for Ralph to now go afer 1 solitary match. But you have to take in the last 11 or so matches of last season too. He now has to show to us fans that he can change from making these seemingly inexplicable selections. I would like to see what happens over the next 4/5 games. I think they will be crucial on how we progress this season .

If we then need to change ,we need to make it then as we coud be languishing in the bottom 3 and it would take a huge effort to make up those early points.

Two last points. I wish Ralph well if he does go. Putting it into a bit of perspective too......I have been a Saints fan for more than 60 years. Ralph has been here for 3 . I will still be here when he eventually goes so I think I have a right to an opinion as it is my club.

And....please understand I am not making a political point here ! Ralph earns a reported £7 million pounds per year as Saints manager plus I presume add ons. I very much doubt whether too many CEO's of FTSE 100 companies earn that much as a salary. Oh and our Prime Minister....whoever that may be....earns £164,000. I believe.

Makes you think eh    

One of the best posts I've seen on here for a while, I can't really disagree with a lot of what you say really. I think everyone had the same questions over the selection, my main gripe though was the HT change and not actually bringing on Adams.

I'm with you in that I like Ralph, I think players have improved under him and we've had some good times with him, but there is certainly this undertone of stubbornness and overthinking which is hurting him and us. I want to see him go back to basics somewhat, go back to his original principles and pick a balanced team. It's underestimated how much difference a 'balanced' team can make with players in their natural positions. 

I think my overriding emotion with Ralph is frustration, because I think we can all see the potential of what we could do…but too many own goals (both figuratively and literally) are being scored, and he is prone to creating his own problems.

Tomorrow will tell a lot I think, not just for Ralph's immediate future but also the likes of Adams and other players in the squad in terms of where we see them in our plans. I'm looking forward to tomorrow but quite apprehensive about what it may bring if I’m totally honest. I think a change now is the wrong time, I’m also with you on the desire to give him a full transfer window and see how we look throughout September, but I feel a bad result tomorrow may hasten any decision.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Francis1947 said:

Makes you think eh    

What a great post and sums up my thoughts in a far more eloquent way than I could. You should post more often Francis!

• Like 1

An away win at Tottenham was always unlikely; a draw would have been a sign of progress. A defeat was the probable outcome, especially when fans saw the manager’s team selection. But the game told us much more Hassenhuttl’s unfitness to stay in posr

What was the point of buying Bella-Kotchap for him to spend 90 mins watching Velery and Stephens letting in 4 goals between them?  At least he had the company on the bench of a Scotland international striker, also using the 90 mins learning how not to score goals. 

3 hours ago, Francis1947 said:

Makes you think eh    

Great post.  The only thing I disagree with is giving him another 4/5 games.

For me, lose tomorrow and he should be gone.  

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Greenridge said:

So, after we fire Ralph and are still a steaming pile of dog shite. Who are we blaming next? 

Need to know, so I can can my next pitchfork sharpened-up. TIA. 

What a ridiculous question . The buck stops with the manager. If we’re a steaming pile of dog shit after he’s fired, then it’ll be the next managers fault. Just as it was Hughes’ after Peligrino left. I bet my bottom dollar you had your pitchfork out for those two, why should Teflon be any different? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Francis1947 said:

Makes you think eh    

Totally agree. Superb post.

6 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Interesting take on our issue from Simon Jordan.....

New ownership; Ralph is not their man, so will be interesting

But presumably Ralph is Semmen's man, and has Crocker's vote of comfidence and backing. This being the case you wonder where and how far the 'bloodletting' if it happens will occur 

• Like 1

Just now, Østerrike said:

Saints need to win against Leeds otherwise it s game over.. as simple as that..

Do you mean for Ralph, or the team facing relegation ?

Worth remembering if we do lose, and Ralph goes, there are still 36 games to get it right. Whether we can trust the Board to get the appointment right is of course another matter (and whole new different thread).

27 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Ralph does have one positive record with us that’s likely never to be beaten.

He’s the only boss to have won the Premier League manager of the month award for July.

I think he's got a few other records tucked away that'll never be beaten.

33 minutes ago, jimmysaint7 said:

Why does the playbook seem to be working for the u18's and the u23's but not the 1sr team???!!

Tactics and formations are important, but the game is about the players. Perhaps we have better nippers than our opponents, in contrast to our senior side, where, i general, our opponents may have better players.

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Tactics and formations are important, but the game is about the players. Perhaps we have better nippers than our opponents, in contrast to our senior side, where, i general, our opponents may have better players.

This is kinda what I was getting at.Ralph has massive faults but we have had the same weak minded mentality within our playing squad for years 

• Like 2

Well I just oversaw my son's U14 team's 3-2 victory in the cup semi final. It's peak holiday time here so we only had 9 players vs 11.

Rolled out the 3-4-1 and it worked perfectly. I can be in Southampton by early next week and I'll bring my own tactics clipboard and tight tracky bottoms...

• Haha 2

On 12/08/2022 at 03:12, Convict Colony said:

It's interesting cos as a saints fan we have been shit all my life.

Every now and again we have an outlier but generally we just want to survive.

We've got so entitled nowadays that we want the manager sacked who kept us in the league last season with no money sacked after 1 game away to a Conte Tottenham.

This is garbage and you know it. Its not entitled to want a failed coach to play players in their best positions, to make logical substitutions,  to choose a formation and tactics to suit each team we play. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

This is garbage and you know it. Its not entitled to want a failed coach to play players in their best positions, to make logical substitutions,  to choose a formation and tactics to suit each team we play. 

Quite.

On 11/08/2022 at 20:12, Convict Colony said:

It's interesting cos as a saints fan we have been shit all my life.

Every now and again we have an outlier but generally we just want to survive.

We've got so entitled nowadays that we want the manager sacked who kept us in the league last season with no money sacked after 1 game away to a Conte Tottenham.

Also, it is an incredibly "entitled" opinion to describe a club that have been in the top flight consistently for the best part of 50 odd years as "shit all my life". Talk about taking things for granted.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I agree , although you have to remember that our politicians have several sources of income and these days a lot of them are multi millionaire hobby politicians 🙂 Time for Ralph to move on with genuine thanks !

I’d definitely be ok with only one source of income in Ralph’s position. In fact a month or two of Ralph’s income would give most of us a comfortable life.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimmysaint7 said:

Why does the playbook seem to be working for the u18's and the u23's but not the 1sr team???!!

Because he is not the manager of those sides? Maybe those coaches have applied it properly and adapt it as required? Maybe Ralph ball cannot cut it in the premier league?

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Quite.

Also, it is an incredibly "entitled" opinion to describe a club that have been in the top flight consistently for the best part of 50 odd years as "shit all my life". Talk about taking things for granted.

We have been shit in the premier League, the best time to be us was when we were in league 1 and championship as we were winning more often than not.

I want our team to at least be aggressive v the larger teams in this league, it's better than being passive and still getting smashed.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl