Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s amazing isn’t it, who’d have thought it? Getting more forward thinking players on the pitch and going for it against a side that only just avoided relegation resulted in 2 goals?

The problem is this bloke can’t set us up to defend, doesn’t seem to be capable of drilling the players defensively and putting a structure in place that limits the opposition’s chances. Any backs against the wall wins (Arsenal, The crying game etc) have come on the back of exceptional individual performances, not through tactically smothering the opposition. Without reigniting the Claude Puel debate, week after week, we had a defensive structure that was drilled, perfected and implemented, everybody knew their role and stuck to it. Teflon seems to want to tighten up defensively, but throws random players in, and nobody seems to know exactly where they stand. We end up with the worst of both worlds, unable to defend properly but stifling our “playbook”. I honestly think the drubbings we’ve taken have affected Ralph, have made him manage differently and manage in an “unnatural “ way for him. Just as Claude Puel would probably have been a disaster trying to be more expansive (rumours are he refused to change his style), defensive Ralph is a shit show. Personally, I want a manager in who can tighten us up, I want us to be more defensively sound, but not against fucking Leeds at home. It’s good that he’s shown a bit of flexibility, but the flexibility should be around little tweaks here and there, not weird line ups. Personally, I like 3 at the back, but we have t got the players or the structure or the managerial nouse to play it. 3 years into the job and he doesn’t seem to know his best line up or formation, that’s pretty fucking poor. 

My thoughts. If you play 3 CBs a LWB and a RWB, then two DMs, that is 8 defensive players, including a GK. So for it to work, you only need one DM, thus allowing 4 attacking players supported by the 2 WBs. This is why over the two opening matches, we had no offensive play to speak of.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

My thoughts. If you play 3 CBs a LWB and a RWB, then two DMs, that is 8 defensive players, including a GK. So for it to work, you only need one DM, thus allowing 4 attacking players supported by the 2 WBs. This is why over the two opening matches, we had no offensive play to speak of.

It also means you can get away with not taking responsibility in key positions and basically causes a ton of confusion as you pretty much 'assume' that someone is covering for you

Ive rarely seen 3 atb work effectively outside of teams that play it with the same line up (and vocal players) consistently... its just shite 

• Like 2

I think we saw the benefit of the backroom change yesterday. Continuous discussion between the coaching staff and Ralph, which ultimately led to good, correct subs.

Had that been last season, I don’t think there is any way in hell we’d have come back from 2-0 down or made those subs. 

• Like 5

Totally wrong.

According to my cousin who was near the dugout, Some strong words were spoken on that touch line as it seems Ralph was overpowered to change it. He was unhappy at the time.

It was him that insisted Stephen’s came on the last few minutes in which one of the coaches wanted Dnjepo to stay on. 

Edited by Pilchards
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Totally wrong.

According my cousin who was near the dugout, Some strong words were spoken on that touch line as it seems Ralph was overpowered to change it. He was unhappy at the time.

It was him that insisted Stephen’s came on the last few minutes in which one of the coaches wanted Dnjepo to stay on. 

Good, he needs that. I sat behind him a few times last season and he looked completely lost and forlorn when things were going horribly wrong.

48 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Totally wrong.

According my cousin who was near the dugout, Some strong words were spoken on that touch line as it seems Ralph was overpowered to change it. He was unhappy at the time.

There was heated discussion, which you’d expect to see between coaches when your team is 2-0 down and the tactics are all wrong.

How anyone can deduce that Ralph was ‘overpowered’ and forced to change it by his coaches I find odd. Unless you were actually there in the conversation, no-one will know.

And I thought Djenepo was taken off with a knock.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

According to my cousin who was near the dugout, Some strong words were spoken on that touch line as it seems Ralph was overpowered to change it. He was unhappy at the time.

Stephens for Djenepo was a good call IMO.  Djenepo was seriously struggling there.

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Manuel said:

Stephens for Djenepo was a good call IMO.  Djenepo was seriously struggling there.

Maybe, but perhaps some of the coaching staff wanted to go for the win, rather than settle for a draw.

The Alpine Flopp is overly defensive in his approach these days 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

There was heated discussion, which you’d expect to see between coaches when your team is 2-0 down and the tactics are all wrong.

How anyone can deduce that Ralph was ‘overpowered’ and forced to change it by his coaches I find odd. Unless you were actually there in the conversation, no-one will know.

If you’ve already made up your mind, after one game away to Spurs, that clueless Ralph can’t possibly be the man to take us forward then you will look for confirmation bias.

Some were saying he was obviously going to be sticking with McCarthy this season. Complete conjecture, hasn’t happened. Others talk about Valery starting ahead of ABK at Spurs, as if Ralph hasn’t got a clue which is the better player and there are no other factors involved. That lasted one whole game, before the latter was in the team.

Any positive changes to the team must be in spite of Ralph, not because of him. A change in formation or a good substitution must be because the coaches were stood screaming at him until he finally caved in. How many armchair experts were demanding we bring on Armstrong against Leeds? Hardly anyone but he did and it helped turn our performance around.

• Like 9
  • Confused 3

58 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you’ve already made up your mind, after one game away to Spurs, that clueless Ralph can’t possibly be the man to take us forward then you will look for confirmation bias.

Some were saying he was obviously going to be sticking with McCarthy this season. Complete conjecture, hasn’t happened. Others talk about Valery starting ahead of ABK at Spurs, as if Ralph hasn’t got a clue which is the better player and there are no other factors involved. That lasted one whole game, before the latter was in the team.

Any positive changes to the team must be in spite of Ralph, not because of him. A change in formation or a good substitution must be because the coaches were stood screaming at him until he finally caved in. How many armchair experts were demanding we bring on Armstrong against Leeds? Hardly anyone but he did and it helped turn our performance around.

1 win in 15…. Different coaching staff, new players, same results. Common denominator….. the alpine flopp. 

Get him out. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

1 win in 15…. Different coaching staff, new players, same results. Common denominator….. the alpine flopp. 

Get him out. 

Interesting, isn't it, how one goal can completely change the atmosphere. Had we have lost 2-1 there would be much more baying. This is a stay of execution, or should be, as we search for someone better able to cope with selection/tactics. I think we will muddy through now, though. Leicester, Man U and Chelsea don't look like a mountain of easy points, even with United's current 'crisis' (watch us help with that)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Does anyone think we are quietly inquiring about Pochettino's plans?

Yeah, but along the same lines as to when we were talking of signing Emery or Tuchel and we ended up with Puel and Pellegrino. We can dream, but's it's gonna be a no from Mauricio (especially when Manchester Utd call him in a panic after we get our first win of the season)

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

talk about selecting facts to suit your own argument. Confirmation bias after "one away game to Spurs"...what about the 6 points from a possible 45? What about starting with a formation that completely dulled any attacking prowess we might possess at home against a likely relegation rival? A manager paid milliions to get it right and he plays a formation that any joe public could see was not going to work and only changes it when the game is almost lost?

Yeah, confirmation bias...right...

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

talk about selecting facts to suit your own argument. Confirmation bias after "one away game to Spurs"...what about the 6 points from a possible 45? What about starting with a formation that completely dulled any attacking prowess we might possess at home against a likely relegation rival? A manager paid milliions to get it right and he plays a formation that any joe public could see was not going to work and only changes it when the game is almost lost?

If he is paid millions his first job is to keep us in the  Premier League and that he has done --without support or financial backing until recently. With this squad--and one more addition up front he will take us to 12th-14th this season, top half next season. We are at the beginning of a new era COYR

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Dellman said:

If he is paid millions his first job is to keep us in the  Premier League and that he has done --without support or financial backing until recently. With this squad--and one more addition up front he will take us to 12th-14th this season, top half next season. We are at the beginning of a new era COYR

I hope you are right, but there's little evidence of that happening, unless you are basing it on the last 20 mins v Leeds?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Nailed it for me. Sometimes wonder if there are now posters on here who've just reached the point of actively looking out for this new/young team making mistakes / dropping points / losing, just so they can pile on / be right if he gets sacked. Almost makes you wonder if they're either Portsmouth fans or just toxic saints fans given their "support" 🤣. The board are certainly capable of making informed decisions on that front, and with a view to future strategy for the club as well, without the toxic atmosphere from the fans. 

But regardless, whilst the manager and players are still trying and show passion for the club, the fans should show them support imo. If the manager isn't up to it then he'll get sacked ultimatley -  but we'll still owe him better than some of the abuse he's been getting lately.  We'd likely have been in league 1, with an impoverished Chinese owner, record debts, and no pot to piss in without the job he's done. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Nailed it for me. There are clearly some posters on here that I suspect have reached a point of actively looking forward to this new look young team making mistakes / dropping points / losing (I.e. Failing), just so they can be right if he gets sacked. Reality is that either their Portsmouth fans,  or they're just extremely toxic saints fans. Fortunately the board are certainly more capable of making informed decisions on that front,  and with a view to future strategy for the club as well. 

But regardless, whilst the manager and players are still trying and show passion for the club, the fans should show them support imo. If the manager isn't up to it then he'll get sacked ultimatley -  but we'll still owe him better than some of the abuse he's been getting lately.  We'd likely have been in league 1, with an impoverished Chinese owner, record debts, and no pot to piss in without the job he's done. 

Agreed. And I must say after the Spurs game I was very much “wtf, here we go again”, but in reality you may as well play your shite players against Spurs if you’re gonna get ranked anyway. Why dent ABK etc confidence on match one, especially with our fan base.

The rumours during the week didn’t help, his team selection and tactics starting against Leeds further didn’t help; but he realised prior to Leeds second goal something had to change and he did, he spoke to his staff, got them prepped and those players that finished the game you could see they were playing for him.

Maybe we’ll reserve judgement for a few more games. If the club was going to sack him the time to do it was along with everyone at the end of last season, they’ve stuck by him so we should now too.

• Like 2

Ralph has done well keeping us in this league hamstrung by a poor previous owner and players not good enough on stupid contracts. Unfortunately, too many social media warriors want instant success and this club is never gonna deliver that. We will always, whilst being a non billionaires plaything, be a team that at best will punch above its weight. How many times is it said that we have to find a way of staying in this league by being clever/ doing something different etc. Of course results will ultimately dictate the managers fate but I hope that Ralph is given a chance under new ownership to show that he can get it right. If he doesn’t they will make the decision I’m sure. The sheer number of “bed wetting” comments right across social media really does show we have a lot of so called fans that really do not get how clubs are run, especially ours.  Ye gods imagine if they were all “jump on the bandwagon” Manc fans…. The drought in the South would be over! The crowd at 2v1 on Saturday is how it should be….. I’m waiting for when Ralph says it as it is and uses his favourite word at the mo and calls out some of our “fans” for talking SHIT! (Mind you that prob would get him fired!) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

We didn’t get 6 points from 45 with Baz, ABK, Aribo, Lavia and Mara available. We got them with Forster, Bednarek, Romeu, Walcott and Redmond playing most of those games. How about we wait and see how they do over a consistent run of games before judging Ralph on them?

As for the formation, didn’t we lose most of those games at the back of last season playing four at the back? I would also prefer four at the back, when the likes of Baz and ABK are ready and Perraud is fit, but let’s not pretend it’s some holy grail for which will solve all our problems.

I don’t know why people are convinced a debut GK, playing behind a debut CB, an accident prone Salisu, Djenepo at LB and KWP (who was responsible for Spurs equaliser) was so obviously the best solution that you’d be a fool not to play away to Spurs.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

As for the formation, didn’t we lose most of those games at the back of last season playing four at the back? I would also prefer four at the back, when the likes of Baz and ABK are ready and Perraud is fit, but let’s not pretend it’s some holy grail for which will solve all our problems.

I don’t know why people are convinced a debut GK, playing behind a debut CB, an accident prone Salisu, Djenepo at LB and KWP (who was responsible for Spurs equaliser) was so obviously the best solution that you’d be a fool not to play away to Spurs.

Well we lost to relegated Burnley and Liverpool B playing a 5, so really only success of 5 was a very lucky win against Arsenal, so little evidence of it being any use at the end of last season either. 

The idea that we should stick with a formation (regardless of Perraud's fitness) that has a 1 - 6 goal record this season is plain nuts imo.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

You can't have it both ways. I'm not a fan of 5atb, but you can't say its the reason we got beat by Burnley and Liverpool. but we beat Arsenal through just luck...

Not saying it's the reason, my point is we were generally bad at the end of the season regardless of formation. 

At what point does Ralph become accountable?

I’d just like to know, when he stops getting a free pass in others eyes?

is it from the start of this season?

Post Christmas, when he’s had the chance to bed the new blood in?

Next season when he’s shifted more of the dead wood?

jam tomorrow, changes needed.

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Nailed it for me. Sometimes wonder if there are now posters on here who've just reached the point of actively looking forward to this new look young team making mistakes / dropping points / losing (I.e. Failing), just so they can be right if he gets sacked. Makes you wonder if they're either Portsmouth fans or just extremely toxic saints fans.

This is one of the dimmest things I’ve seen on here in a while, and it’s a low benchmark. If I’m to believe your supposition correctly, there are significant numbers of Portsmouth fans who masquerade on this board as Saints fans, and make negative comments about the team. Also, there are significant numbers of Saints fans who want us to lose only so that they can say told you so about something. I’m not sure what the something is though.

Rightyho.

Play up Pompey and down with all of our new signings forever, cos I knew 3 at the back has looked rubbish since July.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

The idea that we should stick with a formation (regardless of Perraud's fitness) that has a 1 - 6 goal record this season is plain nuts imo.

This. We looked a different team as soon as we changed to a back 4. You don’t need three centre backs when you have JWP and Lavia holding in the middle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alan Sugarfree said:

I don't see many people giving him a free pass though?

Plenty of people criticise when it's due and likewise praise when we play well.

What's the line? If we aren't marching to the stadium with banners asking for him to be sacked then we are giving him a free pass?

Define ‘accountable’. Look at Man United, they held Moyes accountable, then LVG, Jose, Ole and Ragnik. When does ETH become accountable for their current results, or does there come a point when you accept the limitations of the players and the ceiling of what they will achieve?

No formation or tactical tinkering will prevent Salisu’s howler at Spurs, or stop KWP losing his man for the equaliser and they’re two of our supposed better players who nobody was arguing shouldn’t be on the pitch.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2022 at 09:42, FarehamSaintJames said:

I’m still not a fan but he got it badly wrong yesterday, changed things about and we got a point out of it, which is better than none but especially better than gifting a rival three points.

He lives to fight another day as manager 👍🏻

Not for long though I suspect as he simply doesn't learn from his mistakes he hasn't for 20 games or more so I don't think there's any evidence that he will now

3 hours ago, Alan Sugarfree said:

I'm reserving judgement until the World Cup break. If it looks like we haven't improved from last season by then, I'd consider our options, maybe at the end of the season if we end up 15th again. If we're in the bottom 3 after the Liverpool game, definitely sack him.

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

I don't see many people giving him a free pass though?

Plenty of people criticise when it's due and likewise praise when we play well.

What's the line? If we aren't marching to the stadium with banners asking for him to be sacked then we are giving him a free pass?

I don’t agree with getting on his back during games but if people are still making arguments about it not being his team, or the tactics are employed due to the standard of players, blah blah blah, then you need to ask yourself how bad does it need to get before you change your mind on him. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Define ‘accountable’. Look at Man United, they held Moyes accountable, then LVG, Jose, Ole and Ragnik. When does ETH become accountable for their current results, or does there come a point when you accept the limitations of the players and the ceiling of what they will achieve?

No formation or tactical tinkering will prevent Salisu’s howler at Spurs, or stop KWP losing his man for the equaliser and they’re two of our supposed better players who nobody was arguing shouldn’t be on the pitch.

As you ask, here's the dictionary definition of accountable: "required or expected to justify actions or decisions; responsible." Quite simple. RH is paid handsomely to pick the team that gives us the best chance of getting the most points possible (ahem how's that working out?), get results, improve performances, set players up for success, and ultimately he is responsible for this current shit show of a run of results. Salisu making a howler, KWP making a mistake is by the by unless you're saying not winning 14 out of the last 15 is down to individual howlers every time? That would be extremely unlucky indeed.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We’ve got 11 points from our last 20 games and have lost by 9 goals twice

Id comfortably say he now needs to be held accountable 

To preface this Ive been pretty consistently pro Ralph, but I jist don’t have the faith in him any more.. this squad isn’t that bad.. but when I watch us set up with a 532 and see how much of a mess it is in the transition then I lose faith, I don’t think he can take us further but I hope he makes me eat my words

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I agree no manager should ever be sacked as what happens on the pitch is nothing to do with them let’s save Ralph’s wages and make Dave diaper manager, they’d make the same errors under him as well

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, The Kraken said:

This is one of the dimmest things I’ve seen on here in a while, and it’s a low benchmark. If I’m to believe your supposition correctly, there are significant numbers of Portsmouth fans who masquerade on this board as Saints fans, and make negative comments about the team. Also, there are significant numbers of Saints fans who want us to lose only so that they can say told you so about something. I’m not sure what the something is though.

Rightyho.

Play up Pompey and down with all of our new signings forever, cos I knew 3 at the back has looked rubbish since July.

Oh come on kraken 😂. Yes, obviously i think every saints supporter who is negative about the team is a pompey fan... Or maybe I was making a faceitious point about the toxic atmosphere in the fanbase lately? 👍

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Nailed it for me. Sometimes wonder if there are now posters on here who've just reached the point of actively looking forward to this new look young team making mistakes / dropping points / losing (I.e. Failing), just so they can be right if he gets sacked. Makes you wonder if they're either Portsmouth fans or just extremely toxic saints fans. Fortunately the board are certainly more capable of making informed decisions on that front,  and with a view to future strategy for the club as well. 

You can absolutely think Ralph deserves more of a chance but labelling people who disagree as people actively looking for Saints to fail is complete bollocks. We’re all fans and guarantee you every single person, whether they back Ralph or not, wants to see Saints win.

If you have to resort to doing stuff like this it not only shows you up as a bit of a knob but also a lack of a decent ability to state your case.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, aintforever said:

This. We looked a different team as soon as we changed to a back 4. You don’t need three centre backs when you have JWP and Lavia holding in the middle.

Hallelujah!! The cult won’t have that tho you’ll be ousted for such treason against our tactical genius 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Oh come on kraken 😂. Yes, obviously i think every saints supporter who is negative about the team is a pompey fan... Or maybe I was making a faceitious point about the toxic atmosphere in the fanbase lately? 👍

Don't think you've been a fan long if you think this is toxic.

The fans generally are, in my view, very supportive at the grounds, which is surprising seeing some of the crap we play at times.

• Like 5

On 15/08/2022 at 03:59, ErwinK1961 said:

Well Ralph did something that Ralph hasn't done in his time with us. Something we have all been screaming at him to do. You honestly think he came up with this on his own ? Seriously?

29 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

Well Ralph did something that Ralph hasn't done in his time with us. Something we have all been screaming at him to do. You honestly think he came up with this on his own ? Seriously?

Were you privy to the discussion? The insinuation was he was forced to change the tactics by his coaches and was unhappy about it, which is ridiculous.

Maybe he’s finally got some back room staff that he trusts to discuss changes with, as opposed to Watson, Fleming and Davis.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Kermitzasaint said:

To be fair, I think being able to make 5 subs means a lot of managers will be doing more tactical switches this season.

We looked much better with a back 4 but maybe some of that was to do with the change itself and the opposition's lack of ability to respond?

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl