Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

I cannot believe some of the whinging on here.

For months people have been moaning that Ralph has no plan B, only ever changes like for like, never reacts to situations in the game etc.

Yesterday while Burnley are throwing loads of long balls into our area and looking increasingly dangerous, Ralph changes formation and puts on an extra CB to deal with that threat, we win the game and still people bitch and moan.

If we had kept playing as we were and conceded, you can guarantee the same people would have moaned that he didn't react to the pressure and shore things up at the back. If our forward players hadn't been so clumsy on the counter attack we would have ran out far more comfortable winners in the end.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

I cannot believe some of the whinging on here.

For months people have been moaning that Ralph has no plan B, only ever changes like for like, never reacts to situations in the game etc.

Yesterday while Burnley are throwing loads of long balls into our area and looking increasingly dangerous, Ralph changes formation and puts on an extra CB to deal with that threat, we win the game and still people bitch and moan.

If we had kept playing as we were and conceded, you can guarantee the same people would have moaned that he didn't react to the pressure and shore things up at the back. If our forward players hadn't been so clumsy on the counter attack we would have ran out far more comfortable winners in the end.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Very much this

12 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Those whining to sack him look a little silly now.

We ll confortably go past the 40 pt mark now.

Judge a manager over a season not a run of 15 games.

Nearly as silly as the people who think everything is suddenly alright because we’ve beaten Sheffield Utd, Boscombe and Burnley and are going to get to 40 points. 

I said pages and pages back to judge him over the season. But the Cult don’t do so, they pick sections of  seasons to justify their hero worship. Last season we were 11th, which is pretty average, this season is looking pretty average as well. Does that justify the hype? 

12 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Nearly as silly as the people who think everything is suddenly alright because we’ve beaten Sheffield Utd, Boscombe and Burnley and are going to get to 40 points. 

I said pages and pages back to judge him over the season. But the Cult don’t do so, they pick sections of  seasons to justify their hero worship. Last season we were 11th, which is pretty average, this season is looking pretty average as well. Does that justify the hype? 

You overrate our squad and players if you think those finishes are average with this lot. It's pretty much par the course.

I'd say he over achieved during 2020, so I for one judged him over a very large period and he was actually getting to the 60 point ball park. Obviously we couldn't ever get that during an actual season because we don't have the depth, but the 2020 form alone shows you that he's extracting the absolute maximum from this bunch.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You overrate our squad and players if you think those finishes are average with this lot. It's pretty much par the course.

I'd say he over achieved during 2020, so I for one judged him over a very large period and he was actually getting to the 60 point ball park. Obviously we couldn't ever get that during an actual season because we don't have the depth, but the 2020 form alone shows you that he's extracting the absolute maximum from this bunch.

Don’t go there - he/she is non cultist.

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'll agree with that on balance.

Ralph's been here 3 years. 

Every season we play outstanding football, we really do but also every season we go through bad patches, by bad patches, I mean absolutely fucking dreadful that no other team has, ignoring the Sheffield Uniteds and WBA's and your usual Norwich's.

So really, how does that rate Ralph?

Look at West ham this season.

Are West Ham a better team on paper than we are? I don't think so.

Ralph Hasenhuttl's (fanboys aside) isn't what some think he is.

I'm very much against sacking him. Yes things have gone badly wrong since January, but people need to realise that a lot of reasons for that have been outside of Ralph's control...

The horrific run of injuries compounded by our inability to use our recovery facilities and the condensed season making it impossible for him to rotate the starting 11 and rest what fit players we had.

The ridiculous run of bad luck with refereeing/VAR decisions which robbed us of points and sapped confidence.

If this had been a 'normal' season, I don't believe for a second that we would have had that terrible run of form, and we would be easily top half right now and not having this discussion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I'm very much against sacking him. Yes things have gone badly wrong since January, but people need to realise that a lot of reasons for that have been outside of Ralph's control...

The horrific run of injuries compounded by our inability to use our recovery facilities and the condensed season making it impossible for him to rotate the starting 11 and rest what fit players we had.

The ridiculous run of bad luck with refereeing/VAR decisions which robbed us of points and sapped confidence.

If this had been a 'normal' season, I don't believe for a second that we would have had that terrible run of form, and we would be easily top half right now and not having this discussion.

This.......but hold on does that make me a fanboy or (heaven forbid) a member of a cult? Hmm I may revise my thoughts.

32 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Every season we play outstanding football, we really do but also every season we go through bad patches, by bad patches, I mean absolutely fucking dreadful that no other team has, ignoring the Sheffield Uniteds and WBA's and your usual Norwich's.

I think all that really does is illustrate how poor our squad is and how little depth we've ever had to play with. That's one of my only real criticisms of Ralph, thinking a small squad was a sensible idea and probably putting way too much faith in the academy lads, who lets face it, are way off the level required in the main.

The chat from Ralph is that we want to address the depth this summer, my only worry is that in order to facilitate that we'll have to take two steps backwards (sell some key players) in order to add and move forward in squad depth size. It's a really difficult position to be in tbh.

West Ham have a much better squad than us, much more experience. Bar 4 or so key players in our group (whom you notice when they are missing) the rest is either pretty average or just inexperienced. So when you hit a situation whereby 3 of those key players are missing, you are in big, big, trouble. I'm not sure who could do better with a front two of N'Lundulu and Adams, with Stephens in CM and Bednarek at RB.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Ralph's been here 3 years

It takes a few years for a manager to get the players he wants playing the way that he wants. How many of those from his first games are still with us? With players’ contracts lasting up to five years it takes quite a while to clear them out.

52 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

We play some great football and some average one because our players are inconsistent that s all.

Utter crap managers like Hugues and Pellegrino we were just playing crap 90% of the time.

Ralph is an above average manager who has helped get out most of the use of the squad.

I fail to understand those who want to sack him on here and go for alternatives like Howe who got his team relegated after spending millions on it (more than us).

those people need their head checked

• Like 1

Last season we played badly until Ralph realised 3 at the back wasn't working. Then we played amazing.

This season we played amazing until the hectic fixture list affected the players' ability to press and caused an injury crisis which exposed our lack of cover at full back.

There's every reason to hope that next season will be different and we can be playing amazing again

4 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

No he hasn't.

He hasn't had a 9-0 beating. If he had, even for Mike Ashley, that would have been unlikely he'd still be there now.

The reason why people like Martin Semmens are good at their jobs is they base decisions on the long term rather than one-off events

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Yet again, manipulating dates to suit the cult of Ralph. Why 2020, why not 2021? No, that would suit.

Managers should be judged on seasons, nothing else. Playing everyone twice, that’s a fair judgement period. 11th isn’t great, it’s ok, but certainly not anything special and certainly not deserving of the praise he receives. You yourself, have said it’s par. If we finish below 11th this season, he’d have given us a par (your words) season and a below par season......

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Yet again, manipulating dates to suit the cult of Ralph. Why 2020, why not 2021? No, that would suit.

Managers should be judged on seasons, nothing else. Playing everyone twice, that’s a fair judgement period. 11th isn’t great, it’s ok, but certainly not anything special and certainly not deserving of the praise he receives. You yourself, have said it’s par. If we finish below 11th this season, he’d have given us a par (your words) season and a below par season......

11th with the fact that we have one of the weakest firepower to refresh the squad in the PL is a good achievement

5 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Ralph isn't going to be on some massive £20M payoff Jose Mourinho contract clause to sack him. It'll be £3m TOPS possibly, I mean really possibly pushing the upper echelons of probability, it might... MIGHT... be £5m.

We could if we really wanted to. But we can't and not for why you think it is either.

We've structured the entire club infrastructure around him, that's what makes him hard to sack. Not the money.

Where have you plucked that number from? He is on more than that per year, so why would his payoff be under 1 years salary when he has 3 years remaining?

• Like 1

Which idiot decided to use the term "cult " to name posters who don't slag the manger off and not call for his sacking.

These people can just see the bigger picture and can see the shortcomings and mistakes.

Shall we call them the cult of melts? No because its childish nonsense 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

11th with the fact that we have one of the weakest firepower to refresh the squad in the PL is a good achievement

You’re easily satisfied. 

Just goes to show what a great job Claude Puel did with similar players, once VvD got injured.

Ive never once called for Ralph to be sacked, not once. However, he’s over rated by a large section of the fan base. He’s lucky he followed Hughes & Pelligrino, had he followed Koeman and Poch, he’d be looked at rather more objectively. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chapel End said:

Which idiot decided to use the term "cult " to name posters who don't slag the manger off and not call for his sacking.

These people can just see the bigger picture and can see the shortcomings and mistakes.

Shall we call them the cult of melts? No because its childish nonsense 

If we had someone like Steve Bruce in charge and not a foreign ‘hipster’ choice like Ralph, then many, many more would be calling for his head after the recent run and 2 9-0 defeats. 

To be honest, I’m still struggling to see the ‘bigger picture’. We’re still bang average with a terrible defence and a very good striker. 

When said striker is out of form or out injured, we’re absolutely dog shit. I’d argue the bigger picture is our striker and not the manager. 

Edited by SKD

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re easily satisfied. 

Just goes to show what a great job Claude Puel did with similar players, once VvD got injured.

Ive never once called for Ralph to be sacked, not once. However, he’s over rated by a large section of the fan base. He’s lucky he followed Hughes & Pelligrino, had he followed Koeman and Poch, he’d be looked at rather more objectively. 

Absolutely spot on. 

I was no fan of Puel, I didn’t like his football and wanted in gone. Happy to admit in hindsight that was probably the wrong decision, had I known the shite that would follow. 

However, you’d have to say that Puel is a more successful manager for this club than Ralph. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You’re easily satisfied. 

But that's kind of the point surely?

Puel, Pellegrino and arguably Hughes made us worse than we were before, we were a mess when Ralph arrived but he steadied the ship and has made us better, albeit with some bumps along the way. No one is saying he's the next Pep but he is a good fit for a club like Saints and I'd rather we didn't keep jumping on the managerial merry-go-round every time we have a bad run of results.

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

To be honest, I’m still struggling to see the ‘bigger picture’. We’re still bang average with a terrible defence and a very good striker. 

I think most of us can agree with that, which is why it's strange some think we should be doing so much better than we are. Ralph has a limited squad with very little financial backing to improve it, thus on the whole he is doing a decent enough job. We have an identity and a way of playing which works pretty well for us most of the time, but without better players will only get us so far. 

The bigger picture is that without better ownership, mid table finishes are probably the best we can hope for or with a poor managerial appointment could quite easily be relegated.

1 minute ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

But that's kind of the point surely?

Puel, Pellegrino and arguably Hughes made us worse than we were before, we were a mess when Ralph arrived but he steadied the ship and has made us better, albeit with some bumps along the way. No one is saying he's the next Pep but he is a good fit for a club like Saints and I'd rather we didn't keep jumping on the managerial merry-go-round every time we have a bad run of results.

I think most of us can agree with that, which is why it's strange some think we should be doing so much better than we are. Ralph has a limited squad with very little financial backing to improve it, thus on the whole he is doing a decent enough job. We have an identity and a way of playing which works pretty well for us most of the time, but without better players will only get us so far. 

The bigger picture is that without better ownership, mid table finishes are probably the best we can hope for or with a poor managerial appointment could quite easily be relegated.

Does it? Ralphs win % is something like 35% and gone on a run of 2 wins in 13 games... 

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

Does it? Ralphs win % is something like 35% and gone on a run of 2 wins in 13 games... 

Which is why I said most of the time and clearly the crowded schedule and ridiculous injury list have played a big part in that run.

Either way he took over a side that had been battling relegation for a couple of years and has steered us well clear since, even with that run.

3 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Which is why I said most of the time and clearly the crowded schedule and ridiculous injury list have played a big part in that run.

Either way he took over a side that had been battling relegation for a couple of years and has steered us well clear since, even with that run.

35% isn’t most of the time.... (MLG mode)

The injuries are partially fault of the manager. He continued to play a high intensity game with a packed schedule and tired players. 

He needs to adapt his methods. 

Edited by SKD

5 minutes ago, SKD said:

35% isn’t most of the time.... (MLG mode)

The injuries are partially fault of the manager. He continued to play a high intensity game with a packed schedule and tired players. 

He needs to adapt his methods. 

and not let players go out on loan who cover positions where we then have to play square pegs in round holes  

2 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Ralph knew this.

And still hoofed a heap of players out on loan?

Who carries the can for that?

3 hours ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Puel, Pellegrino and arguably Hughes made us worse than we were before, we were a mess when Ralph arrived but he steadied the ship and has made us better, albeit with some bumps along the way.

You spelt this wrong, it's "Reed" not "Puel".

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Ralph knew this.

And still hoofed a heap of players out on loan?

Who carries the can for that?

The two fullbacks had to go out on loan to release funds to bring in a new full back. Then we didn't manage to get one so we got Minamino instead. 

2 hours ago, SKD said:

Valery is crap, granted. But he’s significantly better than Bednerak and stephens at RB. 

I'm not sure about this, but regardless, I wonder if the plan was for JWP/Diallo to cover at fullback, only for that option to be kiboshed by Romeu getting injured 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

We'll go into next season with him but I don't think he'll survive another dogshit run of form.

Mind you I've said that about 3 times in the past 18 months.

It’s going to be incredibly difficult if Ings goes.

10 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

We'll go into next season with him but I don't think he'll survive another dogshit run of form.

Mind you I've said that about 3 times in the past 18 months.

The worry is that next year will be another condensed season sandwiched between the euros and world cup. Also, lets not kid ourselves, COVID measures will be back in full force come autumn/winter and we'll have limited access to training and rehabilitation facilities.

All of that coupled with a small squad, contracts expiring, and dogshit financials... Will he have an even weaker squad to work with? 

1 minute ago, Saint86 said:

The worry is that next year will be another condensed season sandwiched between the euros and world cup. Also, lets not kid ourselves, COVID measures will be back in full force come autumn/winter and we'll have limited access to training and rehabilitation facilities.

All of that coupled with a small squad, contracts expiring, and dogshit financials... Will he have an even weaker squad to work with? 

The World Cup isn't until Winter '22 so the season won't be sandwiched by that.

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

The World Cup isn't until Winter '22 so the season won't be sandwiched by that.

I thought the intention was to shift the adjacent season dates around to create a break for the QATAR world cup?

I.e. the euros will enforce a late start to next season (plus player breaks). Then The world cup requires a minimum 6 week pause for November and December 2022 - something that will force the start of that season to come forward into summer. All of which means that next season is going to go ahead with minimal breaks for players over the summer and then a more congested season.

In short, this season's fixture congestion is going to look mild in comparison to next season's... and some players will be jaded before they start.

Edited by Saint86

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I thought the intention was to shift the adjacent season dates around to create a break for the QATAR world cup?

I.e. the euros will enforce a late start to next season (plus player breaks). Then The world cup requires a minimum 6 week pause for November and December 2022 - something that will force the start of that season to come forward into summer. All of which means that next season is going to go ahead with minimal breaks for players over the summer and then a more congested season.

In short, this season's fixture congestion is going to look mild in comparison to next season's... and some players will be jaded before they start.

Premier League 2021/22 starts on 14th August and finishes on 22nd May, so pretty normal start and end dates.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11661/12256348/premier-league-2021-22-season-to-get-under-way-on-august-14-and-finish-on-may-22-2022

45 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Just feels a bit of a stretch to me that next season will be fixture congested because of the World Cup that lands in the middle of the season after.

Personally, if we end up with loads of fixtures next season - because we qualify for the Europa League after winning the cup - then I say bring it on.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Just feels a bit of a stretch to me that next season will be fixture congested because of the World Cup that lands in the middle of the season after.

Personally, if we end up with loads of fixtures next season - because we qualify for the Europa League after winning the cup - then I say bring it on.

👍

Stoked that Ralph will hang around. Consistency is king for me, pick a manager who can impose an identity and give them support to make that identity work. Ralph will never get kicked after a 10-15 run of bad fixtures, and that is a good thing. 

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Don't disagree with you. We need an owner prepared to invest under that situation regardless, that or a very canny transfer window (or 2-3). As fun as it will be, this season has shown that we simply do not have enough squad depth!

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl