Danny Ings

sisi1992

6 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Who would be on your list then?...................Alan Shearer, Kevin Keegan, Wayne Bridge, Tim Flowers,.... there are more who would you say?

Only Shearer from your list. Keegan left us to drop down a division in his 30s, Bridge and Flowers not at same level as Ings. 

I'd add to the list van Dijk, Mane and Bale.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

Just now, Roo1976 said:

Who would be on your list then?...................Alan Shearer, Kevin Keegan, Wayne Bridge, Tim Flowers,.... there are more who would you say?

In 2014 we lost Lambert, Lallana and J Rod, the latter to long term injury, and with them went all our goals. 6 months later we were 3rd at Christmas. We’ve lost Mané, Toby, Virgil, Lovren, Pellè, Tadič, Wanyama and Morgan, who were all key players, whether or not they quite made the headlines that Ings does.

If he leaves, we reinvest and move on. Some people are reacting to our financial figures as if we’re the only club being hit by the loss of gate receipts. We aren’t, market prices will fall to a level where people can actually afford to pay them.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Only Shearer from your list. Keegan left us to drop down a division in his 30s, Bridge and Flowers not at same level as Ings. 

I'd add to the list van Dijk, Mane and Bale.

Bale? He was a kid, yes an impressive one, but not anywhere near as important to the team as Ings is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Bale? He was a kid, yes an impressive one, but not anywhere near as important to the team as Ings is.

Quality of player leaving was the discussion. Bale had the potential when he left to be a far better player than Ings at his peak. And he fufilled that potential.

Edited by Matthew Le God

6 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I dont think the release clause is £20m, that is the delta in release fee - so, maybe we want £50m, they want £30m etc.

And I would bet that Levy is saying to Ings' agent if we pay £30m then we'll up your fee by a few £'s which disappears if we end up paying say £40/50m...make no mistake the agent is only interested in what they get out of it, they couldnt give 2 shits if the buying club paid £30/40/50m, unless there is something in it for themselves either through higher agent fee or their 10% of Ings earnings goes up because a lower sale price means more wages for Ings.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Do you not try to find ways to increase your income in your working life?

Of course, but it all depends on the situation with my present employer.

If my present employer took a big risk on employing me and was responsible for salvaging my career I would in return show my gratitude by demonstrating some loyalty. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Don’t talk rubbish man. How old are you 15? 

Nope, significantly older than that. Why is it rubbish, list some other players then?

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Utter bollox

Care to add to the discussion more than that? Hardly an extreme view to think Ings is better than Bridge and Flowers.

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Nope, significantly older than that. Why is it rubbish, list some other players then?

Care to add to the discussion more than that? Hardly an extreme view to think Ings is better than Bridge and Flowers.

If you don’t know the abilities of Wayne Bridge and Tim Flowers when they left us then I’m afraid I can’t help you. You’ve just shown up your lack of knowledge 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If you don’t know the abilities of Wayne Bridge and Tim Flowers when they left us then I’m afraid I can’t help you. You’ve just shown up your lack of knowledge 

When did I say I didn't know their abilities? I'm not saying they weren't very good players, they clearly were. I also witnessed first hand them both playing for Saints. I'm just saying I think Ings is a level above them both in quality. But we are always going to have issues when comparing goalkeepers, left backs and strikers.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Sad 1

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

When did I say I didn't know their abilities? I'm not saying they weren't very good players, they clearly were. I also witnessed first hand them both playing for Saints. I'm just saying I think Ings is a level above them both in quality. But we are always going to have issues when comparing goalkeepers, left backs and strikers.

He isn’t and yet again you prove you don’t know what you’re on about when forced to look beyond spreadsheets 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He isn’t and yet again you prove you don’t know what you’re on about when forced to look beyond spreadsheets 

It is subjective and you are petty. Comparing left backs & goalkeepers from 30 and 20 years ago with a current striker isn't going to be an easy task.

Edited by Matthew Le God

5 hours ago, SKD said:

No it’s not, It’s incredibly accurate. Look at my post from this time yesterday (before this news broke) and it’s effectively word for word. That’s not a coincidence. 

Haha.  No coincidence.  All it shows to me is that a lazy reporter is happy to copy and paste any made up rumour on a forum.  Incidentally Ralph has said in the post match conference last night he is 100% confident Danny won't leave in the summer.  That's not made up, not copied from a forum; that's our manager speaking.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

It is subjective and you are petty. Comparing left backs & goalkeepers from 30 and 20 years ago with a current striker isn't going to be an easy task.

Agree with MLG 

Ings is an important player because of a) his own abilities as a player and b)his importance to the teams success in our system.

I would only put Virgil/Mane/Poch in the same category of "how we going to replace them" level as Ings.

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He’s not even in the top 5/6 strikers that have left the club. 

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Agree with MLG 

Ings is an important player because of a) his own abilities as a player and b)his importance to the teams success in our system.

I would only put Virgil/Mane/Poch in the same category of "how we going to replace them" level as Ings.

There was football before 1992 you know. 

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s not even in the top 5/6 strikers that have left the club. 

Animated GIF

Just checked and he has the 2nd best goals per game on our all time list behind Ron Davies and if he scores a few more goals will move up from 12 to 8th all time goal scorers

Edited by Convict Colony

13 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yet you did it and came to the conclusion that Ings is somehow a level above. You are wrong (again)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Agree with MLG 

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

There was football before 1992 you know. 

You can't really go back a long way. As comparing a footballer now with one of the 1960s is extremely difficult. Modern footballers have been in professional coaching environments from the age of 8 years old (not the case for footballers pre the 1990s). Their technical ability and fitness levels are generally a long way above those of the 1960s or 1970s.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

You can't really go back a long way. As comparing a footballer now with one of the 1960s is extremely difficult. Modern footballers have been in professional coaching environments from the age of 8 years old (not the case for footballers pre the 1990s). Their technical ability and fitness levels are generally a long way above those of the 1960s or 1970s.

I guess you’re right. As Bill Shankley replied when someone compared Mick Channon to Tom Finney “aye, he is as good, mind you, Tom is 70”. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Medrurkin said:

Sekou Koitus sounds rude.

Damn autocorrect... I obviously meant Sekou Koita.

A few other options... Adam Hlozek from Sparta Prague, Dennis Man from Steaua Bucharest and George Weah's cousin's son Boulaye Dia from Reims.

At this point I would probably sell him now if it meant we get more money than in the summer, especially since having to replace him means we probably need two new forwards.

Somehow missed all this news from the last few days, just catching up.
Disappointing to read, thought we finally had a player with some loyalty, especially with his local ties thought he could be the next Le Tiss or Benali.

Guess should learn from all the other traitors who have used us, and as soon as they come good think they're better than us and fck off for more money. 

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Steve Williams....depends how far back you want to go.

• Like 1

Let's be honest about his position. If you were in his place and had two to four yeras of top earnin g potential with the ever present risk of injury, you would or should be solely concerned with maximising your earnings. Loyalty wouldn't come into it for most people. If he gets a significantly better offer from a top club of vourse he will leave and all we cn do is get as much as possible for him. that's football, and if he loves the area he just keeps hos Hampshire mansion and moves for the time of his next ciontract, and returns to retire. All the Club can do is offer him what they can afford , with the hghest release clause they can get. In our current parlous financial position we are poiwerless.

What is very unfair is that we the taxpayer have effectively subsidised Arsenal and Spurs by lending them vast sums of money for virtually nothing and Saints have to pay an usurious rate of interest which shows that our credit rating must be dreadful.

I recommend a large dose of unpleasant cold hard realism, and of course realise

over 90% of supporters would put their financial security before loyaty to an employer, especially as in my experience employers have absolutely no loyalty to employees nowadays

Danny Ings seems like a good rooster and worth trying to keep if you can. Personally, I would rather be playing footy than watching CL football in another side where I wasn't one of the key players in the team's tactics etc.

Make him co-captain, give him some sort of leadership role on the field for the forwards (like directing positional play), offer him a loyalty bonus after an agreed time if he stays and is injury-free and does his best even if he slows down or something, help with his studies or whatever else pushes his buttons off the field and just make him feel secure and valued at the Club for the rest of his career if he stays (provided he behaves off the field). Lastly, if necessary, remind him that Saint Matt stayed the journey and had a fantastic career.

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Danny Ings seems like a good rooster and worth trying to keep if you can. Personally, I would rather be playing footy than watching CL football in another side where I wasn't one of the key players in the team's tactics etc.

Make him co-captain, give him some sort of leadership role on the field for the forwards (like directing positional play), offer him a loyalty bonus after an agreed time if he stays and is injury-free and does his best even if he slows down or something, help with his studies or whatever else pushes his buttons off the field and just make him feel secure and valued at the Club for the rest of his career if he stays (provided he behaves off the field). Lastly, if necessary, remind him that Saint Matt stayed the journey and had a fantastic career.

Yeah, that would all work. 
not sure you realise how a footballers mind works mate. 

5 hours ago, cambsaint said:

I'll name you 5 better strikers that have left us: Chivers (the first 100K£ player, Channon albeit he returned after failing to impress at Man City, Keegan, Shearer, and Bale for a start.

Bale? That left back we sold to Tottenham? Right. 
wouldn’t say Shearer was better for us than Ings is now. 

Edited by Noodles34

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

It's an interesting character you're trying to create here but not sure it quite works.

This one is more a Tony Ferrino than an Alan Partridge/Paul Calf.

I miss the one pretending he was from Kenya.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DJ_TOAST said:

Somehow missed all this news from the last few days, just catching up.
Disappointing to read, thought we finally had a player with some loyalty, especially with his local ties thought he could be the next Le Tiss or Benali.

Guess should learn from all the other traitors who have used us, and as soon as they come good think they're better than us and fck off for more money. 

Traitors? They’re doing a job mate, not following the messiah. 
When will football fans get the fact that players aren’t supporters and are in it for the money and kudos. They don’t care about loyalty and shit like that. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It's an interesting character you're trying to create here but not sure it quite works.

This one is more a Tony Ferrino than an Alan Partridge/Paul Calf.

I miss the one pretending he was from Kenya.

I'd been getting a whiff of Glaswegian, but you could be onto something with Kenya...

51 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Traitors? They’re doing a job mate, not following the messiah. 
When will football fans get the fact that players aren’t supporters and are in it for the money and kudos. They don’t care about loyalty and shit like that. 

Most fans would probably jump ship as well if they were offered incentives to do so.  If Liverpool came along and offered me £1m a year to support them I’d consider it!

If ings leaves it doesn’t mean he doesn’t love the club any less, just that he wants to try his skills at a higher level and have a better chance of winning trophies.  Nothing wrong with any of that, and as long as he doesn’t kick up a stink to get his way then we’ve no cause to complain

• Lighthouse changed the title to Danny Ings