Coronavirus

whelk

6 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

Nuts, uk as Guinea pigs. Everyone lets party. Only expecting 50,000 cases a day by the 19th.

Absolute car crash of a Govt.

The number of cases / infections is completely irrelevant as long as the number in hospital remains manageable thus not overwhelming the NHS.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The number of cases / infections is completely irrelevant as long as the number in hospital remains manageable thus not overwhelming the NHS.

Not irrelevant to the people who get it. Official figures show 100,000 with long Covid.

As you know Covid is not the flu. A gamble at best. Absolute corporate manslaughter at worst.

Edited by Antrimsaint
  • Like 1

The backlog of NHS operations is at 4 million and rising. The NHS needs the restrictions to stay to give the NHS the chance to lower the Cancer and Heart surgeries required.

we need to see the big picture.

Edited by Antrimsaint

6 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

Mate, I have just had a kidney out, you have noooooooo idea of how many needles and I am also needle phobic.

Double jabbed also and will still wear a mask. I just hope when the restrictions relax the toxic masculinity that comes with scoffing at those who wear masks will be absent but somehow I doubt it.

How much did you get for your kidney?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Antrimsaint said:

The backlog of NHS operations is at 4 million and rising. The NHS needs the restrictions to stay to give the NHS the chance to lower the Cancer and Heart surgeries required.

we need to see the big picture.

The irony being that whilst the restrictions remain, the NHS doesn't work as efficiently - GPs don't see patients face to face, referrals aren't made and hospitals have to work under extra protocols.

28 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The irony being that whilst the restrictions remain, the NHS doesn't work as efficiently - GPs don't see patients face to face, referrals aren't made and hospitals have to work under extra protocols.

I don’t have the answer but I expect those in charge to be able to. Problem is I have no confidence at this lot running it. Can you honestly say this bunch fill you with confidence?

The people who don’t agree with lifting the restrictions can  still stay in, not have people round, wear a mask, avoid football, do online shopping and try to live their own lockdown.

I get the public transport concerns but bollocks to this backlash, 

Again on news yesterday referenced that most in hospital were not vaccinated- why are the figure not made public? I could not give a fuck about people in hospital who have chosen to avoid being vaccinated. 

Edited by whelk

It's great that things are getting back to normal but I really can't understand why face masks can't be kept on in public transport or places where you have to be in close contact with other people, just while the 3rd wave keeps going up and everyone has the chance to get double jabbed. If anything knowing people will have masks on will probably make more people likely to want to use trains etc so would boost the economy.

I guess Bozo wants to have his freedom day.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

The people who don’t agree with lifting the restrictions can  still stay in, not have people round, wear a mask, avoid football, do online shopping and try to live their own lockdown.

I get the public transport concerns but bollocks to this backlash, 

Again on news yesterday referenced that most in hospital were not vaccinated- why are the figure not made public? I could not give a fuck about people in hospital who have chosen to avoid being vaccinated. 

I understand the frustration and I think this will be the consequence. I think people , rightly, have concluded that this shower have no idea what they are doing and many people will choose not to reengage  with society.

I certainly won’t. I may be accused of being a scared snowflake by the toxic bunch but I certainly won’t be mixing with the “common sense” public not whilst there is 50,000 cases a day on the way with the new “vaccine resistant” Lamda variant knocking at the door.

I used to be glass half full but I don’t trust a thing the politicians say so it seems it really is every man for himself. 

The net result is that only half of society will go back to being “out” and the rest will lock themselves in. Whether we like it or not that is the consequence. The intended hike to the economy will not bring it back to what it was before. All the bribing and begging won’t help.

You may say “don’t care, doesn’t affect me” but it’s does because it will be a merry go round. Constant opening up and locking down. Infections will go up, new variant more deadly than the last, lockdown and repeat ad infinitum.

Just my thoughts.

p.s. I will still wear a mask because it helps you.

5 hours ago, aintforever said:

It's great that things are getting back to normal but I really can't understand why face masks can't be kept on in public transport or places where you have to be in close contact with other people, just while the 3rd wave keeps going up and everyone has the chance to get double jabbed. If anything knowing people will have masks on will probably make more people likely to want to use trains etc so would boost the economy.

I guess Bozo wants to have his freedom day.

I’ll certainly be keeping mine on in enclosed public areas until I’m double jabbed and I know all adults have been offered that opportunity. I’m not sure where hospital admissions are going to end up in the long run. The problem is now it’s basically anti-vaxxers and those with exemptions getting admitted and they’re never going to go away.

I’d like to hope that the vaccines get approved for children and we can achieve some sort of overall immunity.

7 hours ago, aintforever said:

It's great that things are getting back to normal but I really can't understand why face masks can't be kept on in public transport

They can, they aren't being banned, you and everyone else will be free to wear one if you wish and not just on public transport, but everywhere where you feel you may not be safe.

It's basically treating the general public like the adults they are supposed to be and asking them to take responsibility for their own wellbeing rather than being told what to do.

Those with common sense and a sense of self survival will do well.  Those that haven't got either of those things are probably anti vaxxers anyway!

Not really sure what the problem is as this move is only likely to affect the most stupid people in society.

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

They can, they aren't being banned, you and everyone else will be free to wear one if you wish and not just on public transport, but everywhere where you feel you may not be safe.

It's basically treating the general public like the adults they are supposed to be and asking them to take responsibility for their own wellbeing rather than being told what to do.

Those with common sense and a sense of self survival will do well.  Those that haven't got either of those things are probably anti vaxxers anyway!

Not really sure what the problem is as this move is only likely to affect the most stupid people in society.

Problem with this argument is that masks primarily stop you infecting others. So wearing a mask yourself doesn’t directly help you if you’re hesitant and nervous about public transport. I’m not one of those people but simply saying you can still wear a mask doesn’t ease their fears.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Problem with this argument is that masks primarily stop you infecting others. So wearing a mask yourself doesn’t directly help you if you’re hesitant and nervous about public transport. I’m not one of those people but simply saying you can still wear a mask doesn’t ease their fears.

Anyone who is that hesitant or nervous will have got themselves a mask that WILL directly help them (they do exist).

You're basing your argument on a simple face covering rather than an FFP3 or equivalent which is freely available for anyone with a sense of self preservation ;) 

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Anyone who is that hesitant or nervous will have got themselves a mask that WILL directly help them (they do exist).

You're basing your argument on a simple face covering rather than an FFP3 or equivalent which is freely available for anyone with a sense of self preservation ;) 

I doubt most of the public even know what a FFP3 is, if they are nervous about being surrounded by massless people they will probably just stay at home, not great for the economy.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, aintforever said:

I doubt most of the public even know what a FFP3 is, if they are nervous about being surrounded by massless people they will probably just stay at home, not great for the economy.

So your argument is that because some people are too scared to go on public transport and too stupid to research what type of mask they can easily obtain that will protect them and ensure they are taking responsibility for their own health, this will have a disastrous effect on the economy?

I suspect, as usual, you are way off the mark!  Research suggests that ditching masks will BOOST the economy to the tune of £4 billion!

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-ditched-face-masks-after-being-warned-the-economy-would-lose-billions-1089589

1 minute ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So your argument is that because some people are too scared to go on public transport and too stupid to research what type of mask they can easily obtain that will protect them and ensure they are taking responsibility for their own health, this will have a disastrous effect on the economy?

I suspect, as usual, you are way off the mark!  Research suggests that ditching masks will BOOST the economy to the tune of £4 billion!

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/ministers-ditched-face-masks-after-being-warned-the-economy-would-lose-billions-1089589

What is the big deal about wearing a mask. It’s low hanging fruit. Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

I realise it’s just a distraction culture war to move the gaze from other  govt clusterfxxx 

On 05/07/2021 at 22:52, buctootim said:

I know. The factcheck link is more targeted at anybody who hasn’t read a Collins Dic post before and might think there is some truth in it 

There is truth in it. The fact you decide to believe the narrative and march to your own death from lethal injection does not make you right. You level of idiocy is beyond imagination. How can you say all the doctors who say bad things about the vax are wrong, but all those who say it is safe are right? Have you outright proof, or is it simply your opinion? This is like an idiotic political debate where you simply refuse to believe the opposing view as you are so blinkered and brainwashed to one party.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Antrimsaint said:

What is the big deal about wearing a mask. It’s low hanging fruit. Is it really that much of an inconvenience?

I realise it’s just a distraction culture war to move the gaze from other  govt clusterfxxx 

I've not said there is any issue with wearing a mask. In fact, quite the opposite!

I've pointed out that mask wearing ISN'T going to be banned and everyone is free to wear a mask whenever they want!

I appreciate it isn't an inconvenience and for those who want to take their own health protection seriously it's a good idea in certain situations.

I've also agreed that it is about time the public were made responsible for their own choices rather than being dictated to.

Some people won't wear masks, that is their choice. In the same way that some people continue to smoke and drink excessively despite knowing the risks.  We shouldn't live in a country where we need to legislate for the lowest common denominator!!

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, CollinsDic said:

There is truth in it. The fact you decide to believe the narrative and march to your own death from lethal injection does not make you right. You level of idiocy is beyond imagination. How can you say all the doctors who say bad things about the vax are wrong, but all those who say it is safe are right? Have you outright proof, or is it simply your opinion? This is like an idiotic political debate where you simply refuse to believe the opposing view as you are so blinkered and brainwashed to one party.

This reads like a computer generated response from a Russian bot farm.

Still, CollinsDic, what do you make of Romain Perraud?

1 hour ago, CollinsDic said:

. How can you say all the doctors who say bad things about the vax are wrong, but all those who say it is safe are right?

How can YOU say all the doctors, the vast majority, who say good things about the vax are wrong, but the very few who say bad things about it are right ? Are almost all the doctors in the World part of this "p!an",  or brainwashed, gullible, or just plain thick in that they cannot identify the ( your ) truth ?

Edited by badgerx16

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I've not said there is any issue with wearing a mask. In fact, quite the opposite!

I've pointed out that mask wearing ISN'T going to be banned and everyone is free to wear a mask whenever they want!

I appreciate it isn't an inconvenience and for those who want to take their own health protection seriously it's a good idea in certain situations.

I've also agreed that it is about time the public were made responsible for their own choices rather than being dictated to.

Some people won't wear masks, that is their choice. In the same way that some people continue to smoke and drink excessively despite knowing the risks.  We shouldn't live in a country where we need to legislate for the lowest common denominator!!

I understand your point entirely and in theory agree. At the risk of sounding “Stalinist” relying on British common sense is a recipie for disaster. The mask wearing only works in we all do it because it protects the other person not ourselves. By not wearing the mask you put me at risk not yourself. In that scenario a lot of people, vulnerable people will not go outside, inc myself. By stratifying society into those who feel safe and those who don’t is no way to solve this or help the economy 

5 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

We shouldn't live in a country where we need to legislate for the lowest common denominator!!

Haven't we always though, plenty of us could drive quite safely at 100mph but speed limits are there because idiots would be killing people all over the place. You have to take into account the lowest common denominator, that's why you have speed limits, drug controls, gun controls and packs of peanuts with 'may contain nuts' written on them.

• Like 2

I've been hearing that a world leader is about to come forward and reveal all the details of how the world's governments have got together to agree to poison the entire human race with death injections.

Going to be absolutely massive and I salute the President of Haiti for being brave enough to come forward and tell the world the truth. Good for him. I think he's going to do the announcement sometime today. 

35 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I've been hearing that a world leader is about to come forward and reveal all the details of how the world's governments have got together to agree to poison the entire human race with death injections.

Going to be absolutely massive and I salute the President of Haiti for being brave enough to come forward and tell the world the truth. Good for him. I think he's going to do the announcement sometime today. 

I wonder where India's Modi was last night......

Two men have spent 45 days in prison in India with no word of their release after saying cow urine and dung is not a cure for Covid-19 on social media. Erendro Leichombam, an activist, and Kishorechandra Wangkhem, a journalist, refuted claims made by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi's party that cow excrement can protect against coronavirus. The men were swiftly dragged from their houses in the state of Manipur and arrested after local BJP party members reported their posts to police and imprisoned indefinitely.  India's laws allow the state to imprison people for up to 12 months without trial or formal charge. 

43 minutes ago, buctootim said:

I wonder where India's Modi was last night......

Two men have spent 45 days in prison in India with no word of their release after saying cow urine and dung is not a cure for Covid-19 on social media. Erendro Leichombam, an activist, and Kishorechandra Wangkhem, a journalist, refuted claims made by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi's party that cow excrement can protect against coronavirus. The men were swiftly dragged from their houses in the state of Manipur and arrested after local BJP party members reported their posts to police and imprisoned indefinitely.  India's laws allow the state to imprison people for up to 12 months without trial or formal charge. 

And this is a country that invests billions in a space agency.

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I hope you didn’t fall for that mainstream bollocks that he was actually killed. Use your loaf!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

I understand your point entirely and in theory agree. At the risk of sounding “Stalinist” relying on British common sense is a recipie for disaster. The mask wearing only works in we all do it because it protects the other person not ourselves. By not wearing the mask you put me at risk not yourself. In that scenario a lot of people, vulnerable people will not go outside, inc myself. By stratifying society into those who feel safe and those who don’t is no way to solve this or help the economy 

Oh well, your loss!

There are ways to protect yourself - I've even given details of one of them which involves using a different type of mask!

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Oh well, your loss!

There are ways to protect yourself - I've even given details of one of them which involves using a different type of mask!

I am immunosuppressed, have had a cancer operation and am now on a clinical trial for prevention of reoccurrence of Cancer. I think I will listen to the science and not take a chance with the common sense British public as to my health.

we used to take communal society seriously in this country. Just because some of us are healthy doesn’t mean your parents, grandparents are. 

I have to hide myself away from my own family and son because of this. The pandemic will be elongated because of the mixed messaging of this country. 

Apparently 100,000 infections a day in 4 weeks is acceptable now.

12 hours ago, Antrimsaint said:

I am immunosuppressed, have had a cancer operation and am now on a clinical trial for prevention of reoccurrence of Cancer. I think I will listen to the science and not take a chance with the common sense British public as to my health.

I have to hide myself away from my own family and son because of this.

Like I said, those that have a sense of self preservation and common sense are able to take precautions. Well done you, it looks like you've recognised your compromised health circumstances and are taking precautions. 

Still not sure why people are making a fuss about lifting restrictions, when in reality it is only going to adversely affect the biblically stupid! Those with sense will be fine!

Edited by Weston Super Saint
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Like I said, those that have a sense of self preservation and common sense are able to take precautions. Well done you, it looks like you've recognised your compromised health circumstances and are taking precautions. 

Still not sure why people are making a fuss about lifting restrictions, when in reality it is only going to adversely affect the biblically stupid! Those with sense will be fine!

You’re such a wanker

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 07/07/2021 at 10:57, Antrimsaint said:

By stratifying society into those who feel safe and those who don’t is no way to solve this or help the economy 

Part of the divide and rule strategy employed by these self-serving fuckwits?

• Like 2

Hearing the news today I find it difficult to believe Japan have fucked up over the Olympics.

15% national rate of vaccination, what have they been playing at, FFS.

This time last year everyone was looking east to see how to cope with pandemics. Now they seem miles behind.

Still seems very odd that they couldn't get to a position where local people could attend the events. They had a genuine target to aim for, not least to inspire their country.

We can do ourselves down too much sometimes but we'd have got that show on the road.

Edited by CB Fry

47 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Hearing the news today I find it difficult to below Japan have fucked up over the Olympics.

15% national rate of vaccination, what have they been playing at, FFS.

This time last year everyone was looking east to see how to cope with pandemics. Now they seem miles behind.

Still seems very odd that they couldn't get to a position where local people could attend the events. They had a genuine target to aim for, not least to inspire their country.

We can do ourselves down too much sometimes but we'd have got that show on the road.

Said same earlier in thread. Weird a culture steeped in Just in time efficiency are so far behind. Far more obedient than Brits too

Different cultures lend themselves to different behaviours which affect how they deal with a pandemic. Some might be more inherently obedient, which helped to begin with, but also more skeptical of vaccines. There may also be a degree of complacency setting in, whereby people don't see the need to become vaccinated because their lock downs have, up until now, been highly effective. I think Delta will be a game changer though. Australia is right up the sh*tter and will remain so until well into next year.

16 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Some might be more inherently obedient, which helped to begin with, but also more skeptical of vaccines. 

I read last week that Brits are the most accepting of the vaccine in the world. All other countries surveyed had a higher scepticism /refusal rate

19 hours ago, Picard said:

I googled and found this:

Lancet article on Japan vaccination

Interesting explanation, thanks - but in 1) an Olympic year where they are hosting and 2) in an unprecedented in living memory pandemic it still feels like a fuck up.

This time last year many were quick to point out "why can't we be like them" at other countries supposedly doing well. Well, if Japan hasn't got the nous to say "tell you what, let's get nurses to dish out jabs rather than only Doctors" then sorry its a fuck up. The article says at that point they'd only used 15% of the vaccine they had on hand, thats a fuck up.

Lastly, before anyone else points it out, their case numbers and death number are tiny. It's bizarre that 18 months on they still cannot conceive a stadium with spectators in it on the back of a couple of thousand cases a day and double digit deaths (16 yesterday).

I feel sorry for the Athletes performing in empty stadiums and the general reduction in spectacle and atmosphere for those of us watching.

The Olympics is not everything of course, but obviously vaccination and freedom its own reward. Real shame.

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Interesting explanation, thanks - but in 1) an Olympic year where they are hosting and 2) in an unprecedented in living memory pandemic it still feels like a fuck up.

This time last year many were quick to point out "why can't we be like them" at other countries supposedly doing well. Well, if Japan hasn't got the nous to say "tell you what, let's get nurses to dish out jabs rather than only Doctors" then sorry its a fuck up. The article says at that point they'd only used 15% of the vaccine they had on hand, thats a fuck up.

Lastly, before anyone else points it out, their case numbers and death number are tiny. It's bizarre that 18 months on they still cannot conceive a stadium with spectators in it on the back of a couple of thousand cases a day and double digit deaths (16 yesterday).

I feel sorry for the Athletes performing in empty stadiums and the general reduction in spectacle and atmosphere for those of us watching.

The Olympics is not everything of course, but obviously vaccination and freedom its own reward. Real shame.

Yep, agree with all of that. Japan, NW, Australia, Singapore, and others were countries I looked at with envy last year. Looking at it now, all I see are countries that hid themselves and their people, but are now in a bit of a quandary as they haven't vaccinated en masse. Don't get me wrong, I've got no idea what our current plan is with the likely number of cases (it almost feels like herd immunity v2 but with the masses vaccinated to reduce the impact) but I'd rather that than live in an unvaccinated society. 

11 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well, if Japan hasn't got the nous to say "tell you what, let's get nurses to dish out jabs rather than only Doctors" then sorry its a fuck up. The article says at that point they'd only used 15% of the vaccine they had on hand, thats a fuck up.

???

From the article posted:

In Japan, only nurses and medical doctors can legally vaccinate citizens, so many local governments responsible for the vaccine roll-out have struggled to hire enough qualified personnel. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Yep, agree with all of that. Japan, NW, Australia, Singapore, and others were countries I looked at with envy last year. Looking at it now, all I see are countries that hid themselves and their people, but are now in a bit of a quandary as they haven't vaccinated en masse. Don't get me wrong, I've got no idea what our current plan is with the likely number of cases (it almost feels like herd immunity v2 but with the masses vaccinated to reduce the impact) but I'd rather that than live in an unvaccinated society. 

Victims of their own hide and seek successes?

Because the number of patients with COVID-19 has been smaller in Japan than in other countries, Japan has been unable to register into international clinical trials to prove vaccine efficacy.