Coronavirus

whelk

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't get why there is anyone in these quarantine hotels. The rule applies if you've been in a red list country in the last ten days, for which the quarantine is also ten days. So why not fly from the red list country to somewhere else on the amber/green list who will let you in and stay there for ten days? £2,300 would cover your flights and a pretty awesome hotel, depending on where you go.

This is exactly what a work colleague of mine did when coming back from UAE, he stopped in Portugal for 10 days. Got an apartment with WiFi, worked during the day and enjoyed a holiday of it the rest of the time.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Isn’t it a Travel lodge or similar as well? For 3 of us that would cost us £6900, more than a 5 star all inclusive for two weeks. Absolute rip off. If you deliberately go to a red country then i guess you know what you’re in for but if you’re in one and they change it with just a few days notice how can anyone be expected to stump up that sort of money? Why is it any safer than quarantine at home?

Probably because quarantining at home is not monitored, as evidenced....

3 hours ago, buctootim said:

The whole traffic light and quarantine system is a joke. For example the UK classifies some countries with open borders as red and some as green. Want to visit a red country without penalty? no problem either just get a flight to a place close to the border and drive your hire car over or get an indirect flight, changing places in somewhere green or amber. At immigration at Gatwick I got asked a couple of cursory questions with no check on my answers. Nobody looked at my PCR tests. When I got home I simply got two calls on my mobile asking if me if I was quarantining at home  - to which the answer could easily have been 'yes' whilst you were sat in football game or crowded club.       

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I don't get why there is anyone in these quarantine hotels. The rule applies if you've been in a red list country in the last ten days, for which the quarantine is also ten days. So why not fly from the red list country to somewhere else on the amber/green list who will let you in and stay there for ten days? £2,300 would cover your flights and a pretty awesome hotel, depending on where you go.

Don't even have to do that. Fly back from Turkey or wherever via Amsterdam. Get a new covid test without even having to leave Schipol. Fly home.   

47 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Don't even have to do that. Fly back from Turkey or wherever via Amsterdam. Get a new covid test without even having to leave Schipol. Fly home.   

Don’t they ask you where you have been last 10 days?

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

Don’t they ask you where you have been last 10 days?

Not in my case, he just asked me what the weather was like in Amsterdam, which I could truthfully answer since I was there for five hours. In any case you can easily lie to them or on the passenger locator form - they have no capacity to check. They can only see when you left this country, not what other countries you entered. I have a job that exempts me from hotel quarantine but the immigration guy didnt know that.   

Edited by buctootim

4 hours ago, buctootim said:

The whole traffic light and quarantine system is a joke. For example the UK classifies some countries with open borders as red and some as green. Want to visit a red country without penalty? no problem either just get a flight to a place close to the border and drive your hire car over or get an indirect flight, changing places in somewhere green or amber. At immigration at Gatwick I got asked a couple of cursory questions with no check on my answers. Nobody looked at my PCR tests. When I got home I simply got two calls on my mobile asking if me if I was quarantining at home  - to which the answer could easily have been 'yes' whilst you were sat in football game or crowded club.       

Why not just tell them you were exempt?

26 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Not in my case, he just asked me what the weather was like in Amsterdam, which I could truthfully answer since I was there for five hours. In any case you can easily lie to them or on the passenger locator form - they have no capacity to check. They can only see when you left this country, not what other countries you entered. I have a job that exempts me from hotel quarantine but the immigration guy didnt know that.   

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

I was talking about doing it legally, as opposed to finding loop holes which you keep quiet about. Why anyone would spend ten days locked in a hotel in Heathrow when they could be drinking their way through the bars of Riga and Bratislava for a quarter of the price, I've no idea.

52 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

The greatest trick the Tories ever pulled was getting the people to vote against their own interests

It’s not for you to decide what is and isn’t in people’s interests. They can decide for themselves. You’ve summed up exactly why lefties can’t win elections. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

A lot of people are in a similar situation to us though. Booked a holiday pre covid, can’t get a refund but can get a free change to a new date and location. We are now on the 4th time of rescheduling our holiday, we were meant to be going to Crete next week but Mrs got Covid so pushed it back to Mexico in October which is now red list. Obviously we will move it yet again if things stay the same. It’s all very well to say you know the risk but What are you meant to do just write it off and walk away from the money? If you go to a red country I get it, you know what the circumstances are but to change it while people are there and expect them to find thousands for a ridiculous rule when it’s no safer in a hotel as it is at home Is a disgrace. What happens if you can’t afford it? 

Insurance?

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

A lot of people are in a similar situation to us though. Booked a holiday pre covid, can’t get a refund but can get a free change to a new date and location. We are now on the 4th time of rescheduling our holiday, we were meant to be going to Crete next week but Mrs got Covid so pushed it back to Mexico in October which is now red list. Obviously we will move it yet again if things stay the same. It’s all very well to say you know the risk but What are you meant to do just write it off and walk away from the money? If you go to a red country I get it, you know what the circumstances are but to change it while people are there and expect them to find thousands for a ridiculous rule when it’s no safer in a hotel as it is at home Is a disgrace. What happens if you can’t afford it? 

Yeah, very annoying.  We got Majorca cancelled, got the hotel refunded but not the flights (they were fairly cheap so no real drama).  I took a chance on Malta for next week because of their impressive vaccination rate and it seems to have worked out.  It was a risk though, I almost didn't bother because of the risks you mention. 

The government need to give people, who have invested their hard earned money, some wriggle room under these circumstances rather than effectively punishing them for following guidance appropriate at the time.  

8 minutes ago, Trout-Tickler said:

Where's Collinsdic disappeared off too? Has the establishment tracked him down and silenced him? We were so close to learning the truth for him as well...🤣

Since Ragingbull speculated that MLG could be CollinsDic, and I asked MLG whether he is, CollinsDic hasn't been seen seen. Could be a coincidence of course...

Mrs had it last week, last day of isolation on sunday, this morning i tested positive with lateral flow, just waiting on PCR results. That'll basically half the summer holidays my lad will have had to isolate for without him having anything wrong with him, missed all of last weeks football camp, will more than likely only get two days of this weeks 😬

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Phase two of the global reset begins; governments start shutting down national media outlets and communications. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-58169501

A fire!? What bullshit! Clearly a cover so the mast can be updated with equipment to broadcast to the chips we all have in our brains!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Isolating now until the 19th! Im actually hoping my son catches it as sods law says he'll get it just before we're due out of this isolation!

I know two people both isolating as kids had it and then at end of 10 days they tested positive. Weird how long it takes to infect some.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2021 at 16:49, whelk said:

I know two people both isolating as kids had it and then at end of 10 days they tested positive. Weird how long it takes to infect some.

Mine got it at the end of my 10 days. He's now isolating until wednesday! 30 days of the school holidays isolating. 3 cancelled football camps, 1 cancelled holiday

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

My industry. I’ve had three on furlough but two of them have now been made redundant so they are no longer on furlough now that they’re on notice.

Doesn’t answer the question if I don’t know what that industry is whitey!

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Doesn’t answer the question if I don’t know what that industry is whitey!

Electronic public information displays. Basically, anywhere that lots of people gather and need to be informed. Our main product line is captioning systems for theatres, which had of course been closed for over a year.

10 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Electronic public information displays. Basically, anywhere that lots of people gather and need to be informed. Our main product line is captioning systems for theatres, which had of course been closed for over a year.

Surely that should have been boom time with all the signs telling everyone to stay home, protect the NHS, save lives?

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely that should have been boom time with all the signs telling everyone to stay home, protect the NHS, save lives?

Thought that too. Whitey sort your marketing out!

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Because someone else nipped in and took the sign contract telling them to do so ;) 

No. You’re thinking of printed signs, and there weren’t a lot of those. If any of our competitors had sold a lot of product I might agree with you, but they haven’t. Even the static sign companies have struggled.

Besides, I am not a close friend of a government minister ;)

What’s going on in India chaps, chapesses and chapxes? Two months ago they were dying in the streets with bodies on the side of the roads. Now the cricket team are over here and it’s on the amber list for travel.  Quite a turn around!

On 26/08/2021 at 18:35, Whitey Grandad said:

No. You’re thinking of printed signs, and there weren’t a lot of those. If any of our competitors had sold a lot of product I might agree with you, but they haven’t. Even the static sign companies have struggled.

Besides, I am not a close friend of a government minister ;)

There are a lot of companies in this market now. The tech company we use is really busy doing digital menus for a couple of massive high street brands. They started out as a data cabling company who saw the growth and jumped in. We (NHS Trust) have bought a few interactive screens from them over the past year and we are buying some more at the moment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

What’s going on in India chaps, chapesses and chapxes? Two months ago they were dying in the streets with bodies on the side of the roads. Now the cricket team are over here and it’s on the amber list for travel.  Quite a turn around!

I think CollinsDic explained that the photos were from 2005 so was just a ruse to get us all scared, jabbed and ultimately controlled.