Taking the knee

whelk

Just now, supersonic said:

So how do we stop racist or bias behaviour if we don't challenge it?

I don't think we will ever 'stop' racist behaviour.  In the same way that we will never stop burglaries, assualt, murder, rape etc etc.

I also think that the problem has been vastly exaggerated - I'm not denying that racism exists, I'm not denying that we have some racists in the country, I'm not denying that some of those racists attend football matches, but I do believe that those racists are the tiny minority and they are given way more press and a much larger mouthpiece than their idiotic actions deserve!

4 minutes ago, supersonic said:

So how do we stop racist or bias behaviour if we don't challenge it?

It has to be put in law before companies change , the Equal Opportunities Act was a good start although it turns out the Queen had an escape clause put in for the royal household as they were all white at the time ! 
Big business inc football clubs do all the PR stuff but the inequalities remain .

Our current govt has learnt from the Trump advisers that if you start a culture war then you can sit back while both sides attack each other which makes the situation worse ,so you don’t have to address the problem . This has been demonstrated on here where we are throwing accusations at each other till we reach the usual stalemate . In football it is down to the clubs to ensure there are equal opportunities at their club , no need for gestures then .

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I don't think we will ever 'stop' racist behaviour.  In the same way that we will never stop burglaries, assualt, murder, rape etc etc.

I also think that the problem has been vastly exaggerated - I'm not denying that racism exists, I'm not denying that we have some racists in the country, I'm not denying that some of those racists attend football matches, but I do believe that those racists are the tiny minority and they are given way more press and a much larger mouthpiece than their idiotic actions deserve!

We may never stop it, but we can reduce it, and we, as a society, need to work towards making discrimination as low as possible.

Whilst there may be some truth in the over-exaggeration of overt racism, it needs to be to act as a deterrent to others to think about their actions, as seen in many criminal cases.

Don't focus solely on people putting horrific emojis on Instagram as the sole problem this country has with race (or other forms of discrimination for that matter). Those people won't be fixed, but the systems that are in place that subject people to institutional racism (amongst) others are the biggest areas to focus on. 

Plenty of scholarly articles on this online.

1 hour ago, supersonic said:

We may never stop it, but we can reduce it, and we, as a society, need to work towards making discrimination as low as possible.

Whilst there may be some truth in the over-exaggeration of overt racism, it needs to be to act as a deterrent to others to think about their actions, as seen in many criminal cases.

Don't focus solely on people putting horrific emojis on Instagram as the sole problem this country has with race (or other forms of discrimination for that matter). Those people won't be fixed, but the systems that are in place that subject people to institutional racism (amongst) others are the biggest areas to focus on. 

Some truth? I think it's clear that it was a ridiculous overreaction. Oh and "unconscious bias" is a load of flim flam that has been comprehensively debunked. It's bollocks basically. Britain is not institutionally racist and the vast majority of brits are appalled by overt forms of racism and would like to see it be harshly dealt with. 

20210612_225441.jpg

20210612_225437.jpg

20210612_225432.jpg

Screenshot_20210805-141748_Twitter.jpg

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Some truth? I think it's clear that it was a ridiculous overreaction. Oh and "unconscious bias" is a load of flim flam that has been comprehensively debunked. It's bollocks basically. Britain is not institutionally racist and the vast majority of brits are appalled by overt forms of racism and would like to see it be harshly dealt with. 

20210612_225441.jpg

20210612_225437.jpg

20210612_225432.jpg

Wondered how long it would be before someone with absolutely no experience of racism claims that Britain isn't institutionally racist, despite almost every institution acknowledging that they are

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Wondered how long it would be before someone with absolutely no experience of racism claims that Britain isn't institutionally racist, despite almost every institution acknowledging that they are

Firstly you have no idea what racism I have or haven't experienced. Secondly what examples do you have of every institution acknowledging that Britain is systemically racist? Show some examples. You're a loon. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

20210612_225441.jpg

20210612_225437.jpg

20210612_225432.jpg

Britain is probably one of the least racist countries in the World, but as Harry Kane said, the Premier League is watched worldwide and that is one the the reasons they are carrying on with their message. They want kids in countries which are not so tolerant to ask questions.

It's just a harmless gesture, stop wetting your pants over it.

Edited by aintforever

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Britain is probably one of the least racist countries in the World, but as Harry Kane said, the Premier League is watched worldwide and that is one the the reasons they are carrying on with their message. They want kids in countries which are not so tolerant to ask questions.

I'm perfectly calm thanks. It's just worth reminding people that the screaming headlines from the papers about how awful and racist we are is incorrect. Otherwise you get weirdos like supersonic making mad claims about systemic racism. At least we can agree on your first point. We should be proud of the fact that we are one of the least racist and most tolerant nations on Earth. 

On 04/08/2021 at 09:34, aintforever said:

Well it's done a great job at exposing the racist arseholes among us for who they are.

You carry on booing and I will carry on supporting the lads every week knowing what they are doing has undoubtably good intentions, however futile or pointless it is.

Hopefully the booers will feel more and more alienated each week and end up doing something else on a Saturday afternoon and make football stadiums a much more pleasant place going forward.

Lol.

Yesterday the kneeling was doing 'a great job at(sic) exposing the racist arseholes among us for who they are'.

Today the kneeling is about passing on the message to countries in the world that aren't as tolerant, because, actually, Britain is 'probably one of the least racist countries in the world'!

Powerful stuff indeed!

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Although, I do have one question, how exactly are the kids in these other countries around the world going to understand what the message is, when it would appear you don't have the first clue what is supposed to be achieved?

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Oh and "unconscious bias" is a load of flim flam that has been comprehensively debunked. It's bollocks basically.  

Can you point us to some studies which support this please?

Genuine question - I'm not just being antagonistic here. Everything I have read and learned about unconscious bias points towards it being a very real, well-studied phenomenon. So if you are aware of some credible studies which dispute that I would be genuinely interested to read them.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Lol.

Yesterday the kneeling was doing 'a great job at(sic) exposing the racist arseholes among us for who they are'.

Today the kneeling is about passing on the message to countries in the world that aren't as tolerant, because, actually, Britain is 'probably one of the least racist countries in the world'!

Powerful stuff indeed!

Although, I do have one question, how exactly are the kids in these other countries around the world going to understand what the message is, when it would appear you don't have the first clue what is supposed to be achieved?

We are one of the least racist countries but there are still some racist arseholes here, it's a harmless gesture so why not. It's not that hard to understand.

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

We are one of the least racist countries but there are still some racist arseholes here, it's a harmless gesture so why not. It's not that hard to understand.

So is taking the knee going to sort out our racist arseholes or has it moved on to sorting out the thoughts and opinions of the rest of the world - even though some of those places don't have the same laws as us regarding racism?

You can see where the misunderstanding comes from when such a harmless gesture is trumpeted to be so powerful....

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

So is taking the knee going to sort out our racist arseholes or has it moved on to sorting out the thoughts and opinions of the rest of the world - even though some of those places don't have the same laws as us regarding racism?

You can see where the misunderstanding comes from when such a harmless gesture is trumpeted to be so powerful....

Misunderstanding appears to happen to you a lot.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, aintforever said:

How does playing in Qatar fit in with teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony. 

24 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Can you point us to some studies which support this please?

Genuine question - I'm not just being antagonistic here. Everything I have read and learned about unconscious bias points towards it being a very real, well-studied phenomenon. So if you are aware of some credible studies which dispute that I would be genuinely interested to read them.

OK you did ask. 

So called unconscious bias is typically measured by an implicit association test. Any impicit bias test does not reach the test retest threshold for reliability. That means that results aren't repeatable with the same person to the degree that they would be useful and the results therefore aren't valid. 

I have seen many reports critical of these sort of experiments for having different results if they are repeated multiple times on the same subject and a number of studies that suggest that awareness of a bias- if that is what it is- actually has the opposite effect with higher levels of bias afterwards like this study:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/229525058_Ironic_evaluation_processes_Effects_of_thought_suppression_on_evaluations_of_older_job_applicants

So overall I'm not convinced that it's either a reliable method for establishing levels of bias or that it affects any positive behavioural change afterwards.

The fundamental flaw in these tests is also pointed out here: 

http://www.hcdi.net/reliability-and-validity-of-implicit-association-test/#:~:text=Studies have found that racial,overall is just around 0.5.&text=In fact%2C studies among different,subsequent behavior than explicit responses

And here the problem is addressed explicitly in children: 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29251966/

I'm not convinced that unconscious bias exists and if it does I don't think it's possible to measure it with any degree of accuracy or to know if any supposed bias has any sort of negative effect on behaviour. 

The UK is not systemically racist as I said. 

It is easy to see that everyone has an inbuilt bias , unconscious because it is how you see the world . Now can it be measured ? I would say not . We used to subjected to tests at work to find out what you thought and would you fit in to the required requirements for the job . It was a timed questionnaire which after a few questions I had no idea what box to tick as reason wasn’t involved. Needless to say I wasn’t scored highly , a bit of a joke as I already had position ! Other , in my opinion top managers , got sidelined because of the same test .

24 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It is easy to see that everyone has an inbuilt bias , unconscious because it is how you see the world . Now can it be measured ? I would say not . We used to subjected to tests at work to find out what you thought and would you fit in to the required requirements for the job . It was a timed questionnaire which after a few questions I had no idea what box to tick as reason wasn’t involved. Needless to say I wasn’t scored highly , a bit of a joke as I already had position ! Other , in my opinion top managers , got sidelined because of the same test .

The point is that unconscious bias if it exists is by its own definition unknown. The tests that look for it don't actually know what they are testing. Results differ from test to test so the results aren't reliable and there's a fair amount of evidence that doing these tests actually increases any bias. 

I'm sure some of the posters on here would like us as a country to follow the Chinese model and have 'Re-education Centres' for those they deem to be Racist for not agreeing to 'Taking the knee' by millionaire footballers. You couldn't make it up, still at least its making us a more tolerant society 😁

• Like 2

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

The UK is not systemically racist as I said. 

Even though those organisations have admitted their institutional racism themselves, you're still pushing this line.

Why are you so insecure about admitting racism exists?  🤡

Edited by supersonic
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, supersonic said:

Even though those organisations have admitted their institutional racism themselves, you're still pushing this line.

Why are you so insecure about admitting racism exists?  

Here's a thought, why not ask Hypo whether he accepts that racism still exists rather than assume that he doesn't? I say that as I've followed the thread, and he hasn't said what you think he's said - his point was that the UK is not institutionally racist. That has nothing to do with organisations who have had racism issues. 

Regardless, sadly we'll always have racists amongst us. On the actual subject of the thread, the point many make is that footballer players taking the knee won't stop those racists from being racist. It's not doing any good, and it won't change the mindset of an idiot. Against, that background, what's the point of keeping on with it? What good do people think it will actually do? 

Edited by egg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, egg said:

Here's a thought, why not ask Hypo whether he accepts that racism still exists rather than assume that he doesn't? I say that as I've followed the thread, and he hasn't said what you think he's said - his point was that the UK is not institutionally racist. That has nothing to do with organisations who have had racism issues. 

Regardless, sadly we'll always have racists amongst us. On the actual subject of the thread, the point many make is that footballer players taking the knee won't stop those racists from being racist. It's not doing any good, and it won't change the mindset of an idiot. Against, that background, what's the point of keeping on with it? What good do people think it will actually do? 

Indeed and quite clearly racism exists. Most of the links that supersonic posted don't say what he thinks they say either. I asked for links from institutions that state that Britain is institutionally racist. Most of his links were from an individual not the organisation itself, didn't state that Britain was institutionally racist or included quotes like this which suggests to me he didn't actually read the articles he posted:

“If other people think we are institutionally racist, then we are. It’s no good me saying we’re not and saying you must believe me. [That would be] a nonsense, if they believe that.”

Edited by hypochondriac

Indeed and quite clearly racism exists. Most of the links that supersonic posted don't say what he thinks they say either. I asked for links from institutions that state that Britain is institutionally racist. Most of his links were from an individual not the organisation itself, didn't state that Britain was institutionally racist or included quotes like this which suggests to me he didn't actually read the articles he posted:

“If other people think we are institutionally racist, then we are. It’s no good me saying we’re not and saying you must believe me. [That would be] a nonsense, if they believe that.”

So you admit that the bast majority of establishments are institutionally racist, but yet the country isn't? Is this your latest desperate attempt to avoid the real issue here. 

It's people like you which are part of the problem.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, supersonic said:

So you admit that the bast majority of establishments are institutionally racist, but yet the country isn't? Is this your latest desperate attempt to avoid the real issue here. 

It's people like you which are part of the problem.

Why are you making things up? Just because you've googled institutional racism and found some quotes of someone saying they can't argue with the charge if someone says they are or a representative of a woke learning institution doesn't make your claims valid. 

You and the rest of the nasty critical race theory crowd are the problem I'm afraid. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Why are you making things up? 

No, it seems you are and you are now desperately trying to deflect.

I'm intrigued, how can you claim the UK isn't institutionally racist, when almost all entities that make up society admit they are institutionally racist? Add on top of that, a racist Prime Minister and a horrifically racist immigration policy

• Like 1

1 minute ago, supersonic said:

I'm intrigued, how can you claim the UK isn't institutionally racist, when almost all entities that make up society admit they are institutionally racist? Add on top of that, a racist Prime Minister and a horrifically racist immigration policy

I'm sorry but it's difficult to have a discussion with someone whose view of the world differs so drastically from reality. You're clearly a fantasist desperate to see racism around every corner. Your claims are laughable and the fact you cite the guardian who spouts the same woke bollocks and then use the quote I've already mentioned as some sort of proof that all institutions admit they are racist speaks for itself: 

“If other people think we are institutionally racist, then we are. It’s no good me saying we’re not and saying you must believe me. [That would be] a nonsense, if they believe that.”

Just now, hypochondriac said:

I'm sorry but it's difficult to have a discussion with someone whose view of the world differs so drastically from reality. You're clearly a fantasist desperate to see racism around every corner. Your claims are laughable and the fact you cite the guardian who spouts the same woke bollocks and then use the quote I've already mentioned as some sort of proof that all institutions admit they are racist speaks for itself: 

“If other people think we are institutionally racist, then we are. It’s no good me saying we’re not and saying you must believe me. [That would be] a nonsense, if they believe that.”

Claims are bollocks?

I'm sorry, so every experience I've had myself of racism doesn't exist? As an ethnic minority, I experience racism far too often, in all walks of life, including watchinh Saints (yes, from our own fans). Every time I've had to deal with my children in tears because they've been racially abused is "laughable" is it? 

Like the time where, just 3 weeks ago, I had to explain to my 8-year-old that people don't see him as "English" because he has brown skin, despite him having to go back 6 generations before he can find someone on his ancestry that was born abroad. 

Like the fact that later this year, our newborn child will have to be born in a hospital nearly 40 miles from our home because the midwives at our local hospital haven't been taught how to spot potential danger signs in ethnic minorities during pregnancy as the NHS don't teach this automatically during their training (guess what, another example of the institutional racism you claim doesn't exist).

You're a classic example of the problem that we face as a society, seemingly happy to claim the "individual acts of racism are appalling" badge, but point blank ignorant to opening your eyes to the bigger problem, no doubt you also believe that white privilege doesn't exist. 

The existence of racism and other forms of discrimination are an uncomfortable truth and some people feel reluctant to acknowledge.

Long may the players continue to take the knee and long may you continue to think you aren't part of the problem because you are triggered by a 5 second act before a football match.

• Like 3

Your claims that every institution in Britain is institutionally racist is complete bollocks. I can't speak to your individual experiences of racism. Undoubtedly racism exists as I've already said. 

I've no doubt you've experienced some racism from saints fans and others. Unfortunately there will always be a section of the population that are prejudiced against someone due to their skin colour and where these people commit racist acts they should be and are harshly dealt with. The existence of racism is a truth that has never been denied on here ever. I'm married to a mixed race woman who has experienced racism herself and we both believe that despite this that Britain is one of the most tolerant and accepting nations on planet Earth (which it is). White privilege is a load of crap too so you're right on that one! 

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, supersonic said:

You’re an oddball. A small minority of racists exist in this country, you can’t eradicate all idiots (you are testament to that) 

20 hours ago, supersonic said:

We’ve reduced racism massively over the last 20 years or so, to a point where racism is barely an issue in the U.K.

The problem is that the left side of politics wants to engage in an identity politics driven culture war, people are literally making money by giving a tiny minority of racist fuckwits far too much air time and publicity and labelling the tolerant majority as ‘systemically racist’ which is extremely divisive and utterly wrong. BLM have stoked racial tension in this country by bringing the death of an American drug abusing career criminal to our shores….a death that had NOTHING to do with us.

If we as a country are so institutionally racist and intolerant, why are people risking their lives in their 100s on a daily basis, to escape the EU in dinghies? 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, supersonic said:

Racist PM!? Racist immigration policy? Give your head a wobble you absolute flange!!

With hindsight I’ve deleted my comment ref you being ‘scourge’ of the country because certain posters have decided to assume I was referring to your skin colour (which I am unaware of having never met you) My point remains valid, people calling every facet of the U.K. racist is very divisive and extremely unhelpful. 

Edited by Dorchester Saint
Unintended offence.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Racist PM!? Racist immigration policy? Give your head a wobble you absolute flange!!

People like you are the absolute scourge of this country. It’s pretty obvious which way you voted…..thankfully the polls show that U.K. bashing cranks like you are very much in the minority. 

Assuming you bothered to read Supersonic's previous post where he made it clear he is himself a member of an ethnic minority, and that even his children have experienced racism for having brown skin, for you to say "People like you are the absolute scourge of this country" is extremely crass and makes you look like a bit of a c*nt. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

People like you are the absolute scourge of this country. It’s pretty obvious which way you voted…..thankfully the polls show that U.K. bashing cranks like you are very much in the minority. 

And thank f*ck you are too.   God there are some weasels on here eh.   

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

With hindsight I’ve deleted my comment ref you being ‘scourge’ of the country because certain posters have decided to assume I was referring to your skin colour (which I am unaware of having never met you) My point remains valid, people calling every facet of the U.K. racist is very divisive and extremely unhelpful. 

Jesus Christ

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

You’re an oddball. A small minority of racists exist in this country, you can’t eradicate all idiots (you are testament to that) 

We’ve reduced racism massively over the last 20 years or so, to a point where racism is barely an issue in the U.K.

The problem is that the left side of politics wants to engage in an identity politics driven culture war, people are literally making money by giving a tiny minority of racist fuckwits far too much air time and publicity and labelling the tolerant majority as ‘systemically racist’ which is extremely divisive and utterly wrong. BLM have stoked racial tension in this country by bringing the death of an American drug abusing career criminal to our shores….a death that had NOTHING to do with us.

If we as a country are so institutionally racist and intolerant, why are people risking their lives in their 100s on a daily basis, to escape the EU in dinghies? 

Thank you for your three posts (bit obsessive), not sure why you feel so triggered by my accounts of racism that you need to expose your bigoted views?

If racism is "barely an issue as you say", why do I still have to explain to my children that the reason they are treated differently is because of the colour of their skin? Or the fact that almost every week there is an article of some footballer being racially abused?

Judging by your posts, you seem very insecure, I hope you get the help that you need. Feel free to reach out if you want any support on these issues, despite your obvious hostility towards anyone that merely points out that racism exists, I'd be happy to talk you through real life experiences.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Who are the mods on here? Your comments are bang out of order. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, supersonic said:

Thank you for your three posts (bit obsessive), not sure why you feel so triggered by my accounts of racism that you need to expose your bigoted views?

If racism is "barely an issue as you say", why do I still have to explain to my children that the reason they are treated differently is because of the colour of their skin? Or the fact that almost every week there is an article of some footballer being racially abused?

Judging by your posts, you seem very insecure, I hope you get the help that you need. Feel free to reach out if you want any support on these issues, despite your obvious hostility towards anyone that merely points out that racism exists, I'd be happy to talk you through real life experiences.

How are they treated differently?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supersonic said:

There's some footballers who receive racist abuse on social media, the majority of which comes from abroad. Many people receive all sorts of vile abuse on social media, much of which is personal and disgusting and it should be dealt with. The media clearly have an ulterior motive to exaggerate the problem for sensationalist headlines. The results of racist abuse from the euros showed the extent of the problem. Oh and please stop saying that you're "pointing out that racism exists". You're not doing that, you're saying that virtually every institution in the country is systemically racist which is something entirely different. No one would deny or argue with anyone if they merely pointed out the obvious fact that racism exists. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

I expect all the racists around the UK are going to be fuming that 7 of the 8 runners in our 2 silver medal winning 4x100m relay teams are black.

I think it's great that we were so successful. I'd prefer that no one made an ossie out of the skin colour though because it just encourages divisive identity politics from both sides (which is why you saw some white nationalists celebrating that the white Italian team beat England at the euros.)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Which was the same question that came to me when I read that post - if they (or anyone else) are being treated differently purely based on the colour of their skin, then we have laws in place to deal with that behaviour.  

I'll wait for Supersonics reply but also there seems to be an assumption that A, they're being treated differently. So based on what? Clearly be differently this means in an inferior way. Then B That this treatment is due to the colour of their skin. Or at least that's what Supersonic thinks it's down to, as remember, he has to tell them this is the reason. This isn't what the kids are saying.

I'll be genuinely interested to hear what this different treatment is. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

Ah good. Some more lectures from white people to black and brown  people about how since they  don’t experience racism then it must all be in the darkies minds 

I know you’re being sarcastic but I’m not sure that’s really the issue at hand. All but the most meat-headed EDL supporters would accept that racism A - Exists and B - is wrong and unpleasant. If there is any discussion to be had here then it’s more nuanced and involved. Obviously white people don’t know what it’s like to be BAME but then they don’t know what it’s like to be white, so that works both ways and makes it harder to be objective.