Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Arsenal have been linked with anyone with a pulse this window.

KWP won't be leaving. 😂 Nixon is a poor reporter all round. Also Everton's FFP probably wouldn't allow a high value transfer unless they made a lot in terms of outgoings. Richarlison is one, but the sales and wages back on some of more of the senior players is definitely required.

Interesting to hear of this Kobore (Man City). Heard if him but couldn't tell you anything else. Highly rated by City fans and a couple of mates of mine. I'm guessing that means we're either confident of getting Liam Delap in on a permanent OR we were never in for him. 👍

4 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Paul Merson keeps on trying to get JWP there. In an article in the Star, called him soft for staying with us.

Who listens to Paul Merson?

Or reads the Star???

Edited by Chewy
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Kabore is quality. Top league experience too (through loan deals).

For a cover player that would be an incredible addition. I really, really like what we're doing.

He does look real quality - voted Afcon young player of the tournament earlier this year too. Would love to get him on a perm deal!

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Nixon saying he'd be available for between £10-£15M....

Now we know for certain this story is nonsense

Think he's got the wrong end of the stick there. They'd need to be offering at least £10m for Kyle, £15m  for Walker and another £15 m for Peters before we even thought about it

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

33 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Kabore is quality. Top league experience too (through loan deals).

For a cover player that would be an incredible addition. I really, really like what we're doing.

in addition to attacking threat, he looks like he has some idea how to defend. A fair few senior caps for Burkino Fao too. Youth is good, youth with experience better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

in addition to attacking threat, he looks like he has some idea how to defend. A fair few senior caps for Burkino Fao too. Youth is good, youth with experience better.

He's good enough to start for us tomorrow, so it makes me wonder if we'll start the season with KWP at left wing back and this guy at RB.

• Like 1

It’s almost like sports republic are messing with us and leaving the most important position (striker) until last :).

also good news on that if we do get delap it’s perm now, thought this was likely and we don’t need the hassle of having to loan a new striker every year.. if we are going with kids we want to be the ones who benefit long term 

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's good enough to start for us tomorrow, so it makes me wonder if we'll start the season with KWP at left wing back and this guy at RB.

I imagine so, been a few rumours that Perraud's injury is worse than we thought hasn't there.

Medical tests ongoing for Joe Aribo ahead of his move to Southampton, all set to be completed and signed today afternoon. 🚨🔴 #SaintsFC

Done deal for £6m plus add-ons to £10m package to Rangers. Here we go confirmed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Anyone know how much we would realistically spend before needing to start selling one or two players?

Part of me thinks they are investing heavily this year, and then starting to sell next year when the squad beds in and some of the young players have become lucrative assets.

You'd imagine one of JWP/KWP are gone next year. Maybe Tino the year after, and if the signings progress as hoped, then we'd be selling the new boys at some stage too -  hopefully for good money. Reinvest that in young players, and the process starts again.

Outside of fringe players who can go, the only big assest we have is JWP. And it feels as if the team couldn't cope with his absence this year. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Neef said:

Part of me thinks they are investing heavily this year, and then starting to sell next year when the squad beds in and some of the young players have become lucrative assets.

You'd imagine one of JWP/KWP are gone next year. Maybe Tino the year after, and if the signings progress as hoped, then we'd be selling the new boys at some stage too -  hopefully for good money. Reinvest that in young players, and the process starts again.

Outside of fringe players who can go, the only big assest we have is JWP. And it feels as if the team couldn't cope with his absence this year. 

Echoes my thoughts. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some decent outlay this window, with a view to recouping over next few years when hopefully the young guns turn into beasts.

6 minutes ago, Neef said:

Pretty much what I expect to happen. We tried to do this sell to buy model when we had nobodies to sell before, that's why we ended up with so much shit as we just couldn't generate enough dollar. We now have ownership in who realise that, have provided the initial investment to allow us to build that team for the future which will generate those fee's further down the line.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Hardly investing heavily.  This is not earth shattering money for a mid-sized premier league club..

From where we were before it's investing heavily. This will be around £45-50m spent without a sale and I cannot remember when we last did that. In comparison with other sides, no, it's not huge, but we're not other sides and we're Southampton - and for us this is huge.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

From where we were before it's investing heavily. This will be around £45-50m spent without a sale and I cannot remember when we last did that.

that's because we've had it forced down us that sale to buy is the only way we can operate, which is plainly nonsense as we are the only club in the premier league that does this.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

From where we were before it's investing heavily. This will be around £45-50m spent without a sale and I cannot remember when we last did that. In comparison with other sides, no, it's not huge, but we're not other sides and we're Southampton - and for us this is huge.

we are now spending normal premier league money, across a number of players.

We are so conditioned having to sell anything worthwhile with a pulse.......

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

that's because we've had it forced down us that sale to buy is the only way we can operate, which is plainly nonsense as we are the only club in the premier league that does this.

yeah probably, it's been a sad few years really. 

35 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Anyone know how much we would realistically spend before needing to start selling one or two players?

Looking at the figures, perhaps SR are not dipping into their pockets quite as deep as you might think. The follow amounts might be considered reasonably accurate:

Bazunu £12m
Bella-Kotchap £8.6m
Aribo £6m
Livia £10.5m

There was £26m in the bank when SR bought us, left over from the loan, and I am guessing a chunk (if not all) of the Premier League prize money etc. was paid out at the end of the season - which I realise needs to cover the forthcoming year's expenditure. If Bednarek was sold for say £12m (not a lot of noise about that though) SR wouldn't have to had to put a penny in so far - which is fine by me by the way. Obviously we will have a £100m debt to service, but I assume SR will have factored repayments into our future running costs.

3 hours ago, igsey said:

Everton can't afford KWP. He's out best RB, so £20m+. He's also our best LB, so another £20m+. I don't think anybody outside of City will drop £40m+ on a full back.

These football game guesses at valuations are ridiculous. He's not a £40m player, not even close.

The fact is that we are a club who need to balance the books, so selling someone is inevitable. He's an easily sold asset. As much as I like him, if they offer something we find acceptable, I could see him going. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, egg said:

These football game guesses at valuations are ridiculous. He's not a £40m player, not even close.

The fact is that we are a club who need to balance the books, so selling someone is inevitable. He's an easily sold asset. As much as I like him, if they offer something we find acceptable, I could see him going. 

We’re under no pressure to sell though. Agreed he’s not a 40 million player but he’s our starting RB/LB, our second best player last year and has 3 years left on his contract. To us he’s 40 million so any club who wants him pays above the odds

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, egg said:

He very easily is! He has 3 years left of his contract, so his value remains high. We live in a world where Aaron Wan Bissaka and Ben White were both sold for £50m!

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, warwicksaint said:

We’re under no pressure to sell though. Agreed he’s not a 40 million player but he’s our starting RB/LB, our second best player last year and has 3 years left on his contract. To us he’s 40 million so any club who wants him pays above the odds

Not sure that's correct. We've probably shelled out £40m Inc signing bonuses and agents commission. We've been told that we're still a self sustaining club. The difference with sports republic is that they've been able to find a way of buying without selling first, but that doesn't alter the need to bring in revenue to be self sustaining. JWP and KWP are our most disposable valuable assets. Sure, his contract makes him worth a few quid, but I can't see too many premier league clubs who'd need / want him so if this summer is his year to move on, his value is the most anyone will actually pay us.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, egg said:

How much then?

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Not sure that's correct. We've probably shelled out £40m Inc signing bonuses and agents commission. We've been told that we're still a self sustaining club. The difference with sports republic is that they've been able to find a way of buying without selling first, but that doesn't alter the need to bring in revenue to be self sustaining. JWP and KWP are our most disposable valuable assets. Sure, his contract makes him worth a few quid, but I can't see too many premier league clubs who'd need / want him so if this summer is his year to move on, his value is the most anyone will actually pay us.

Think you’re still stuck on the mindset we had under Gao, these new owners seem much more ambitious. We’re not going to sell our best full back having just pumped in a load of money to improve it. We’ll sell our poorer players who won’t be in and around the first 11 this year e.g Walcott, bednarek, djenepo and still make 15-20 mil plus 3 players wages off the board

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

#ColwillWatch

Chelsea are a strange club. I'm not really sure Ake is up to the level they need, he's a decent squad player for a Top 6 team but no more than that I don't think

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

How much then?

No idea, I don't do footy manager type guesses.

For those saying KWP won't be sold, who will be to balance the books? JWP?

Gotta be realistic, and accept that 1) we're a club which needs revenue, and 2) if its KWP who gets sold, he's worth what someone will pay for him, not what some fans on a footy forum hope we'll get for him.

The truth is a bitter pill sadly.

• Sad 1

Just now, warwicksaint said:

Think you’re still stuck on the mindset we had under Gao, these new owners seem much more ambitious. We’re not going to sell our best full back having just pumped in a load of money to improve it. We’ll sell our poorer players who won’t be in and around the first 11 this year e.g Walcott, bednarek, djenepo and still make 15-20 mil plus 3 players wages off the board

The difference is that they've found money for transfers. On the basis that we are self sustaining still (they've said that we are and I'll assume they're honest!) then revenue is needed to balance it up....cos we've bought before we've sold doesn't mean that we don't have to sell after we've bought! 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Gotta be realistic, and accept that 1) we're a club which needs revenue, and 2) if its KWP who gets sold, he's worth what someone will pay for him, not what some fans on a footy forum hope we'll get for him.

You don’t do guesses but you guess he’s not worth 40m?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

I agree with you that someone probably needs to be sold, but there was cash available in the bank to buy the current incoming players, so I don't think we are under huge pressure to make a sale this summer at this moment in time. If we want to spend another £25m on a striker, for example, then I'd suggest we will need to sell Bednarek and/or Armstrong. If we loan a striker, then maybe not. 

A player with three years on his contract AND wanted by a big club is not going to be sold cheap by us or any Prem side. Two years left and you have to weigh your options, one year and the buyer has the upper hand.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

The difference is that they've found money for transfers. On the basis that we are self sustaining still (they've said that we are and I'll assume they're honest!) then revenue is needed to balance it up....cos we've bought before we've sold doesn't mean that we don't have to sell after we've bought! 

Self sustaining doesn’t mean we need to bring in every penny for everything we spend. It means we can’t go and spunk away 100 million on players, but still have the capital to spend 30-40 mil without income

4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

You don’t do guesses but you guess he’s not worth 40m?

Jeez. Ever decreasing circles. He won't be sold for £40m. What he'll be sold for, if he goes this summer, I have no idea. Hopefully he won't, but we ain't got a money tree. 

Just now, egg said:

Jeez. Ever decreasing circles. He won't be sold for £40m. What he'll be sold for, if he goes this summer, I have no idea. Hopefully he won't, but we ain't got a money tree. 

If you have no idea how do you know he’s not worth 40 mil?😂

Everyone seems very happy with the business to date, but we are still taking a gamble. The new recruits have barely any PL games between them. I am looking forward to seeing them, but then I was the same when we signed Djenepo, Diallo, Armstrong, Elyounoussi etcetera. 

They have to be a success and I'd like to see some experience bought in. It's a very long season to rely on very young players. 

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

How on earth is this not considered tapping up? No bid received from Chelsea but personal terms are agreed?

Welcome to modern football?

Happens all the time. You gauge a players interest, put some details down on a table for them, if they're receptive then you go and offer the club the money they want so you can make it official.

2 minutes ago, warwicksaint said:

Self sustaining doesn’t mean we need to bring in every penny for everything we spend. It means we can’t go and spunk away 100 million on players, but still have the capital to spend 30-40 mil without income

My reading of the latest accounts meant that we need revenue from sales to operate. Despite sound that in the past we've taken a huge loan, and our wage bill has been crippling. Hopefully you're correct and we don't have to sell, let's see 🤞

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, egg said:

they have probably used the £26m of the bank loan (plus a bit from the 21/22 Prem money) this summer to buy players, and then could slowly pay off the accrued £100m of debt. However, as you say, to balance the books we will need to sell a player or two. Our outgoings exceed our income. Player sales is the only answer. A Salisu, KWP or whoever will need to be sold in the near future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Welcome to modern football?

Happens all the time. You gauge a players interest, put some details down on a table for them, if they're receptive then you go and offer the club the money they want so you can make it official.

It's happened forever! Clubs won't bid on a player who doesn't want to come. A chat via the agent to enquire "what wages would it take to get your lad" happens all the time. 

Just now, egg said:

My reading of the latest accounts meant that we need revenue from sales to operate. Despite sound that in the past we've taken a huge loan, and our wage bill has been crippling. Hopefully you're correct and we don't have to sell, let's see 🤞

No. I think you are right. We will need to sell. £100m loan/debt will just get larger unless we make profits in the coming years that enable us to pay it down. We only make profits through player sales. Might not be this summer, but if not, it will be next. 

• Like 1