Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

It's great that we are in a position to buy before we sell.  And the fact that are giving youngsters a pathway to first team football is even easier to implement with new 5 substitute rule, we can be giving 16 players first team action every match if we so wish. Any one know, when that  sub rule was implemented was the 25 player squadlimit increased to accomodate more players playing each week. Just wondering what happens if after signing all these new boys we can't offloadsome of our "no longer requireds".

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I know what you mean, and that's why this window is a bit conflicting for me in the sense of being exciting and somewhat risky.

I think Aribo will add some know how, he's not an unknown youth player and possibly a more experienced striker and full back cover will plug those holes. The club did blow the Tino trumpet a lot but like you say, not every young player is going to be a Tino as in hitting the ground from day 1. There is potentially an adjustment phase for the majority, I'd say Tino is a bit of a freak in that sense.

We blew the Tino trumpet so we could implement our strategy this window onwards. If we had signed Tino and then not played him we would not be getting lavia and bazunu etc. It's as simple as that. Ditto broja. The reality is that perraud and KWP are our best wing backs, although their isn't much between Tino and perraud in all seriousness. 

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Looks like the door is open to Walcott staying. Some talk yesterday about him being still the quickest at the club and a new slate with the new coaching team. 

He is the quickest at the club, tella (and i think salisu) were joking about it in an interview at the back end of last season. Impressive really given his age and injuries. But he needs to give us a bit more on the final 3rd to justify his place. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

For info I have a football for a brain, a wand of a left foot and a hammer of a right foot.

A sad indictment on the state of our health service, where organ and limb replacements depend on what's in the nearest shop.

#prayforrevolution 🙂

#borisout

#ignorethelasttag

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

We blew the Tino trumpet so we could implement our strategy this window onwards. If we had signed Tino and then not played him we would not be getting lavia and bazunu etc. It's as simple as that. Ditto broja. The reality is that perraud and KWP are our best wing backs, although their isn't much between Tino and perraud in all seriousness. 

I guess what I meant by blowing the Tino trumpet is that we keep expecting all these young players to be like Tino. Martin himself has come out and said ''we're looking for more Tino's''. I agree that the approach has opened the door to us getting some of the best young players, but it's still somewhat risky as Tino was a bit of a freak.

6 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don't get why everyone thinks last season was a disaster. It was, at worst, alright.

Agreed. I think it is a recency bias as others have said. Some despise him for the two 9-0s, others for the bad runs. I have seen some posters slate his inconsistency (between the runs) because we won / lost most of our games over extended runs. (A more consistent season is to win one week and lose the next with no real sign of the team gelling or settling apparently 🙄😂). But all that really matters is the points total at GW38.

The reality is that there is something not right with our ability to maintain good form / or over achieving / players going on holiday once safe. But hopefully with increased depth and squad quality that changes - particulary if we have something to play for at the end of the season. 

I still think that we have a solid manager - one who has kept us clear every season despite a weak squad and (I think) the lowest net spend of any surviving top flight club over his time here? For me, he's a big part of why we are still in the top flight, and he's kept us here whilst getting the first team rebalanced and the dead weight off the books, and he is ultimatley a significant part in us surviving and attracting sports Republic. Plus ofc we've had decent cup runs.

I think the ones who are really anti him have maybe lost the perspective of the good he's achieved due to the negatives? Not to say that they're wrong in that view - it's all opinions ultimatley. But fundamentally for me, he deserves this window of being properly backed and a chance to show what he can really achieve / build 🤷‍♂️

Fingers crossed we can have a great season at any rate. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 11
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Are we seriously looking at Hudoson Odoi?

Whilst I'd love this rumour to be true, as I think he'd add real quality to the side. Surely it's unlikely?

1. Others clubs who'd also be interested if he's available - West Ham/Everton (at least). West Ham, he wouldn't travel too far for training and offer European football and Lampard could have an influence at Everton.
2. Wages: He's on over £100k a week, so refer to above for more clubs who'll be willing to subsidise more wages. 

Offering 1st Team football is probably our biggest selling point, but the others could do that too - so it's not a USP.

56 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

It's great that we are in a position to buy before we sell.  And the fact that are giving youngsters a pathway to first team football is even easier to implement with new 5 substitute rule, we can be giving 16 players first team action every match if we so wish. Any one know, when that  sub rule was implemented was the 25 player squadlimit increased to accomodate more players playing each week. Just wondering what happens if after signing all these new boys we can't offloadsome of our "no longer requireds".

No it wasn't. Irrelevant anyway as so many of our first team squad qualify as u21 and so do not count toward the 25 man squad limit.

38 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Agreed. I think it is a recency bias as others have said. Some despise him for the two 9-0s, others for the bad runs. I have seen some posters slate his inconsistency (between the runs) because we won / lost most of our games over extended runs. (A more consistent season is to win one week and lose the next with no real sign of the team gelling or settling apparently 🙄😂). But all that really matters is the points total at GW38.

The reality is that there is something not right with our ability to maintain good form / or over achieving / players going on holiday once safe. But hopefully with increased depth and squad quality that changes - particulary if we have something to play for at the end of the season. 

I still think that we have a solid manager - one who has kept us clear every season despite a weak squad and (I think) the lowest net spend of any surviving top flight club over his time here? For me, he's a big part of why we are still in the top flight, and he's kept us here whilst getting the first team rebalanced and the dead weight off the books, and he is ultimatley a significant part in us surviving and attracting sports Republic. Plus ofc we've had decent cup runs.

I think the ones who are really anti him have maybe lost the perspective of the good he's achieved due to the negatives? Not to say that they're wrong in that view - it's all opinions ultimatley. But fundamentally for me, he deserves this window of being properly backed and a chance to show what he can really achieve / build 🤷‍♂️

Quite right! It's such a relief to have a manager long term, so many clubs change and change again every time there is a couple of bad results or a few unhappy players, even Man Utd are in that trap. Ralph has seen us safe all through the years of no pot to piss in and at last there is some investment. Things are on the 'up' COYR

• Like 5

Apologies if this has been posted previously. BBC reporting that Forest have agreed a £17m deal with the the world's greatest ever team, ever to walk the planet, (otherwise known as the Bin-Dippers) for Neco Williams. Is it me, or is that about £10m too much? £17m!!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

A reddit spy reckons he saw Broja yesterday evening out in Winchester with Livramento, Tella and Smallbone. Make of that what you will.

Surrey to Winchester not too far to see his mates.

Wouldn’t mind having him back, but think that ship has long sailed unfortunately.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Apologies if this has been posted previously. BBC reporting that Forest have agreed a £17m deal with the the world's greatest ever team, ever to walk the planet, (otherwise known as the Bin-Dippers) for Neco Williams. Is it me, or is that about £10m too much? £17m!!! 

Excellent news for us Saints supporters !

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

I'll be massively relieved when he's announced as signing for someone else. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

By recency bias, I'm guessing you mean Last 12 games: L9 D2 W1 For 10 Against 31 during which Ralph proved himself spectacularly inept 😂

As he is being backed by the new owners, I really hope you are right and I'm wrong in our assessments of the man. As you say, looking brighter on the player front - at least attempts are being made to address this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

By recency bias, I'm guessing you mean Last 12 games: L9 D2 W1 For 10 Against 31 during which Ralph proved himself spectacularly inept 😂

Yes, that’s correct. I’m not sure why that’s confusing or amusing.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Not fussed either way with Broja, but tbh for the price there probably aren't better out there.

Depending on the price of course, I’d disagree with you. I’ve seen £25-30m mentioned for Broja in the press, whereas the article about Kalidjzic says Stuttgart are looking for £21m.

Not sure we’d go for Kalidjzic though but strikes me as a better immediate option at the price.Unless we can agree a decent deal with Chelsea.

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Broja depends on Hudson Odoi deal. Loan / Perm. Can only loan one.

Are you saying there's a big possibility of us getting Hudson Odoi? :) that would be amazing. 

Edited by davefizzy14

26 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes, that’s correct. I’m not sure why that’s confusing or amusing.

A run of games that was so appalling bad they can't just be brushed under the carpet as recency bias, the players certainly didn't look like they were putting any effort in and were quite happy to see out the season with a few beatings. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JRM said:

A run of games that was so appalling bad they can't just be brushed under the carpet as recency bias, the players certainly didn't look like they were putting any effort in and were quite happy to see out the season with a few beatings. 

Momentum carries I remember under Dave Jones we had an awful end to the season then only took 2 points from 8 games the next season despite a raft of new signings, mainly squad players from bigger clubs. There is a losing mentality at the club and has been for a while, happy to coast, happy to accept defeats, no bollocks and no backbone. I hope the new players are a bit tougher although I fear that they might slip into the habits of this club rather than bringing the mentality of where they’re coming from 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Momentum carries I remember under Dave Jones we had an awful end to the season then only took 2 points from 8 games the next season despite a raft of new signings, mainly squad players from bigger clubs. There is a losing mentality at the club and has been for a while, happy to coast, happy to accept defeats, no bollocks and no backbone. I hope the new players are a bit tougher although I fear that they might slip into the habits of this club rather than bringing the mentality of where they’re coming from 

On the subject of backbone Ralph hasn't been able to shift the points lost from winning positions stat either,  would be nice to hear that less as well. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'll be massively relieved when he's announced as signing for someone else. 

It sounds as though Forest have well and truly had their bin dipped! 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Have to say what Sports Republic have done so far is really impressive.

Absolutely. And let's not forget Katharina. Even though she's a minority shareholder she is legally entitled to involvement in significant decisions, and this wouldn't be happening as easily without her full support. I think she's been fully committed to her father's "project" since Day One, but things went pear-shaped after she sold a majority share to Gao, who then hit CCP-inflicted constraints. Redemption in my eyes.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Turkish are you an ITK? :suspicious:

do you work for the club in any capacity?

or is this your normal amazing insight / opinion? which is just an opinion right, not fact?

#askingforareallyboredfriend

Edited by le_tiss
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

Turkish are you an ITK? :suspicious:

do you work for the club in any capacity?

or is this your normal amazing insight / opinion? which is just an opinion right, not fact?

#askingforareallyboredfriend

What do you think?

losing or drawing a ridiculous games from winning positions season after season 

poor runs of form which are unable to turn round

record defeats and regular hammerings 

bottle if when in with a chance of achieving anything 

hardly the DNA of a winning team. Or maybe we could pretend we’re a team of winners and warriors who would rather die than concede a goal 

can’t be that bored as you are responded to me. Still you can pretend you’re just asking for a bored friend 🙄

• Like 1

🤝 Transfer Talk

Southampton are keen to bring the Braga striker, Vitinha to the Premier League.

The 22-year-old hit a hat-trick on his first pre-season outing - alongside his 13 goals during his breakthrough campaign in 2021/22

#saintsfc
[O Minho]

6 minutes ago, saint lard said:

🤝 Transfer Talk

The 22-year-old hit a hat-trick on his first pre-season outing - alongside his 13 goals during his breakthrough campaign in 2021/22

#saintsfc
[O Minho]

The source of this article doesn’t appear very substantive (other than that he scored a hattrick and we are rumoured to be interested in him) so wouldn’t read too much into it. https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/07/07/spectacular-25m-striker-shows-why-southampton-want-him-with-hat-trick/?amp

4 hours ago, Stu Man Do said:

Has there been anymore said about kalajdzic? Seemed like he would be a decent fit here. Presumably dependent on what happens with Broja?

My 1 question about Kalajdzic to people who have seen him more than me is whether we would go for someone who's not really quick?

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

A £22m fee has been mentioned and he has a £120k a week wage. No chance.

Think we need to see what happens with Chelsea recruitment before players like Hudson-Odoi (maybe Vale) might become available.

(Less so with Vale, as he's got 1 year contract & I assume Chelsea will be on full-scale charm offensive).

Chelsea loaning out Hudson-Odoi with subsidised wages late-on in the window wouldn't surprise me, but you would have thought Leicester/Newcastle/Everton etc would be all over that.

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

🤝 Transfer Talk

#saintsfc
[O Minho]

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I was hoping for someone with a bit more pedigree.

Up front proven players are out of our price range. Need to do our scouting properly and find ourselves the next player to burst onto the scene.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

What do you think?

losing or drawing a ridiculous games from winning positions season after season 

poor runs of form which are unable to turn round

record defeats and regular hammerings 

bottle if when in with a chance of achieving anything 

hardly the DNA of a winning team. Or maybe we could pretend we’re a team of winners and warriors who would rather die than concede a goal 

can’t be that bored as you are responded to me. Still you can pretend you’re just asking for a bored friend 🙄

Bored Christopher Walken GIF

so no then? to my questions?

so just another opinion, every thought of running for government dude - you would do well

and you know what they say - opinions - everyone has one just like ........

P.s - if you shout really loudly and more often than most (38k posts), everyone will think assume you are right 😉

to coin a forum phrase = PONY

James Franco Flirt GIF

#iamstillboredasismyfriend

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1