Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

22 minutes ago, warwicksaint said:

I agree with West Ham but let’s not put Everton in a better bracket than us as things stand. Agreed they’re historically a “bigger club” but they’re currently in the shit financially and just about scraped survival last year - they haven’t been a top team for years now

WBA took Lukaka on loan, then Everton followed up the year after and bought him. Impressing there got him his mega move to United. That path seems quite a good one.  Everton might have been shit last season but they still have a lot more pulling power than we do.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

WBA took Lukaka on loan, then Everton followed up the year after and bought him. Impressing there got him his mega move to United. That path seems quite a good one.  Everton might have been shit last season but they still have a lot more pulling power than we do.

They bought him 8 years ago so hardly a great track record in recent years for young lads making a career from Everton. Saints have had way more players move to big clubs so surely we’re the better prospect if you want game time and a stepping stone to the big boys?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

I personally don't want broja back, I would much rather we went and got ings tbh (if we get a cut price deal), we know what we're getting a great technical player who can finish and fits the system with the potential of 15-20 goals a season. He could be the experience among the young players we buy. also the king of the scummers chant really needs an airing as opposed to that god awful broja one. 

Broja aint coming here. Not sure Ings will be either. Out of interest, how much would you pay for Ings, knowing he's probably on £120k a week or whatever now.

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Broja aint coming here. Not sure Ings will be either. Out of interest, how much would you pay for Ings, knowing he's probably on £120k a week or whatever now.

anything 15 million or under i'd take him, I can see him coming here as where else would he go if villa dont't want him. brighton? also I wouldn't pay his villa wages for sure but would give him high enough to want to join maybe second under jwp contract. 

8 minutes ago, warwicksaint said:

They bought him 8 years ago so hardly a great track record in recent years for young lads making a career from Everton. Saints have had way more players move to big clubs so surely we’re the better prospect if you want game time and a stepping stone to the big boys?

Everton have provided a decent pathway to the big clubs (maybe even more than us in the last five or six years).

Lukaku to United
Gueye to PSG
Barkely to Chelsea
Stones to City
Delefue to Barca

Back a little further, then we obviously win that one hands down with Nivea boy, Shaw, Clyne, Morgan, Mane etc.

7 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

anything 15 million or under i'd take him, I can see him coming here as where else would he go if villa dont't want him. brighton? also I wouldn't pay his villa wages for sure but would give him high enough to want to join maybe second under jwp contract. 

Not sure players often take a drop in wages to move clubs while under contract. Why would you? Unless Villa pay the difference, he wont move. 

Three year deal, £15m fee, plus £15m wages and £0 resale value. Not sure that fits the SFC model. It was fine offering him £100k a week when he was on a free. Not sure we will fancy doing it now. We need a striker though, so its not a daft idea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Everton have provided a decent pathway to the big clubs (maybe even more than us in the last five or six years).

Lukaku to United
Gueye to PSG
Barkely to Chelsea
Stones to City
Delefue to Barca

Back a little further, then we obviously win that one hands down with Nivea boy, Shaw, Clyne, Morgan, Mane etc.

Deulofeu started out at Barca before going back there.

Aribo deal looks close. Amazing work. Just need a striker and it’s a full house. Don’t fuck it up by playing the wrong keeper against spurs, Ralph. 

Edited by DT
  • Like 2

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Is it being greedy to want another wide forward as well

Not at all...but I think that will rely on a sale. If we shift on one of Theo, Redmond or Moussa (or maybe Ely if he doesn't renew) then we'll no doubts bring in another with whatever fee they make available. Same at CB, if we sell Bednarek or Stephens then I'd expect to see our interest in Colwill ramp up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not at all...but I think that will rely on a sale. If we shift on one of Theo, Redmond or Moussa (or maybe Ely if he doesn't renew) then we'll no doubts bring in another with whatever fee they make available. Same at CB, if we sell Bednarek or Stephens then I'd expect to see our interest in Colwill ramp up.

Do you think we need to rely on a sell to bring in another forward?

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Do you think we need to rely on a sell to bring in another forward?

I think we'll see one come in without a sale (given that we have to replace Broja in the main), but the additional forward will rely on a move in my opinion. What I reckon we'll do is sell Moussa and bring in someone who can cover wide and up front.

5 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Going off topic but I’m hearing an arsenal Ghanaian midfielder might not be available for pre season 😯

Make of that wot you will !!

Some people in the media are claiming he flew to Germany with the rest of the team for a training camp.

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Going off topic but I’m hearing an arsenal Ghanaian midfielder might not be available for pre season 😯

Make of that wot you will !!

That’s been all over Twitter since yesterday if you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about !

1 hour ago, DT said:

Aruba deal looks close. Amazing work. Just need a striker and it’s a full house. Don’t fuck it up by playing the wrong keeper against spurs, Ralph. 

Hoping it’s Kaladjzik  (sp) or is that too ambitious ? 

• Like 4

Aribo and Lavia both potentially signing in the coming days.

I know nothing of Aribo and only that Lavia was a hot prospect. The club spending the best part of £25m on two CMs implies to me maybe a change in formation? (I’m sure MLG will question this).

But I personally can’t see us shelling out that amount on players of the same/similar positions.

JWP, Romeu, Diallo, Lavia, Aribo and Smallbone all in that central midfield role. That is good depth! 😊

It “could” well be the reason we’ve had little to know striker links so far. Adams, Armstrong plus maybe one more, and I still think that one will be Liam Delap (Man City, loan).

I have a feeling g the club will be looking more at the wider attacking players/wingers.

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I know nothing of Aribo and only that Lavia was a hot prospect. The club spending the best part of £25m on two CMs implies to me maybe a change in formation? (I’m sure MLG will question this).

I'll do that for him.

2 <-Lavia

2 <- Aribo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

But I personally can’t see us shelling out that amount on players of the same/similar positions.

JWP, Romeu, Diallo, Lavia, Aribo and Smallbone all in that central midfield role. That is good depth! 😊

It “could” well be the reason we’ve had little to know striker links so far. Adams, Armstrong plus maybe one more, and I still think that one will be Liam Delap (Man City, loan).

I have a feeling g the club will be looking more at the wider attacking players/wingers.

I think Aribo is more of the attacking player you speak of rather than a JWP/Lavia/Romeu/Diallo role.

Edited by beatlesaint

7 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think Aribo will be viewed as one of the two number 10s in the 4222.

- Romeu with Lavia as back up for the number 6 role

- Ward-Prowse with Diallo as backup for the number 8 role

- Aribo, S.Armstrong, Elyounoussi, Redmond, Tella for two number 10 roles

A clear failing in our squad was physical strength and presence. Not now. Well done to the recruitment team. Still need a bit of pace but looking good on the solidity front. Good spine. Would like to see us secure Romeu too as his ball retention is excellent and we will need strength in depth especially with the subs rule

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Although I think the club are taking a chance buying youngsters, fucking fair play to them.

Getting a good few deals over the line.

Need a proven striker to score us 12-15 goals or more and we could finish In the top 10.. Broja ? Dennis ?  Or even pukki  can score in the prem .

Edited by Chris cooper

Appreciate the correction on Aribo, I thought he was a standard CM that liked to get forward. 👍🏻

Got to say I’m loving this approach to the window so far.

Getting all our business done behind closed doors, no leaks pretty much until the official signing of a player.
This is a bold approach for us to go for youth but IF it works what a master stroke it is.

It certainly hypes you up for it that little bit more. Just hope the team gets quickly.

(But knowing Ralph, he’ll probably play McCarthy in goal against Spurs). 😅

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, DT said:

A clear failing in our squad was physical strength and presence. Not now. Well done to the recruitment team. Still need a bit of pace but looking good on the solidity front. Good spine. Would like to see us secure Romeu too as his ball retention is excellent and we will need strength in depth especially with the subs rule

Although it's a guess, I think Romeu intends to see out his contract and then leave for a new challenge

6 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Is like to think he stays and gets his coaching badges etc but if he wants a new challenge then so be it.

I think someone on here said he's learning Japanese. Not the actions of someone who intends to stay put in Soton

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

shift them all................................................

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

He flew to Germany with the rest of the team for a training camp, so appears unlikely to be the person you think it is.

Doesn't look like he did, and he looks to be in for a lot of bother. But obviously speculation currently and he's innocent until proven guilty regardless (if indeed it is him).

Edited by Saint86

15 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I think Aribo is more of the attacking player you speak of rather than a JWP/Lavia/Romeu/Diallo role.

I hope we're looking at others - even if that does come across as greedy. Not at all sold on Aribo atm, based on his record in Scottish football. 5 assists and 8 goals from 34 games last season - most of which were played vs league 1 opposition for a team that were European finalists. What is noticeable in his highlight reals is a lack of decent end product and a mixture of some great touches and some really sloppy touches in key areas. Not sure he is any better than Redmond and will probably be quite frustrating to watch - he may offer something better than we have, but surely would prefer we went for better still i think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership/top-scorers/assists

He was 11th for assists and 16th for goals in what is a very weak league whilst playing for one of the two runaway best sides. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1