mcbendy

3 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Ideal end to the window would be 

In

Kalajidzic, Delap (loan) and Colwill

Out

Bednarek, Stephens, Walcott, Djenepo

Make it happen Saints

Add Hudson Odoi in and Redmond out and you have a Carlsberg window.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Ideal end to the window would be 

In

Kalajidzic, Delap (loan) and Colwill

Out

Bednarek, Stephens, Walcott, Djenepo

Make it happen Saints

I'd take those two strikers (and Colwill as a bonus) but we still need a little more. Another pacy, tricky 10 (a tougher Djenepo with more end product) and a right back for me on top of those would complete the window.

Pretty much every summer (bar the window we signed Mané and Toby on the last day) I think we're short somewhere going into the season. Post-Lavia and Aribo signing, if we can bring in 2 x strikers, 1 x 10 and a right back (with the bonus of another CB) I think we'd go into the season strong in every single position for the first time in years. Yes the jury is out on the youngsters but we'd certainly have bodies and appetite and excitement in the stadium.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Our announcement, probably several after that.

The ape won’t leave the circus unless he’s dragged kicking and screaming, or lured by loose women. 🤣

I suspect she'll be tight, as will the greased piglet.

Will they put out an announcement on an evening England are playing (football and politics..)?

8 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I absolutely agree we need a quick winger coming in, but can't really see it unless we shift 2 of Djenepo, Walcott & Redmond, and we haven't really had any links on that front.

We had this last week...

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The new striker note is interesting. Feels like something is imminent there too.

So we've been linked with....

Amadou (but i'd say he's more of a wide forward, possibly)

Kalajidzic (i think that's how you spell it)

Broja (loosely)

Delap (loan probably).

My guess would be Delap on a season-long loan with an option to buy now that the U19's are over.

I really don’t get why everyone thinks delap would only be a loan?

he’s in the same boat as Lavia and bazunu. Even if they didn’t sign haaland I doubt he would have seen much game time they would have probably played false 9 over him getting time.. now they have the hottest striker of the moment delap’s time will be extremely limited .

see no reason we can’t get a similar deal with a buyback 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I mean outward for those three wingers, other than the soft Walcott to MLS links.

It was obvious what you meant.
Which means MLG made yet another mistake while attempting to look clever.  
When you get to my age it’s the little things …

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Suhari said:

And we seemed to be doing so well...

To be fair Elyounoussi had some decent games last season. We are going to have to retain some of our more experienced players and, if he does well enough he'll get some game time. Also we need a reasonable squad to make the most of the new 5 sub rule.  Not the worst decision in my opinion.

• Like 13

5 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not sure why we want to keep the invisible man.

Might come in handy if we draw Newport County again in the early rounds of the Carabao Cup or whatever it’ll be called this season. 

• Haha 2

He improved last season from his first season with us but that wasn't hard. It'd be nice if he could get a few more goals similar to his Celtic loan but as a squad option he's OK. I still hope we bring in Aribo and one other 10. 

Still need more goals and assists from the #10s.

Aribo is a good signing but likely not to be a major goal threat.

Probably greedy to expect another attacking midfielder as well as a striker but its so clear the team as a whole lacks goals so really hope we can rectify that somehow.

Can’t see us going for Colwill having signed AKB, another young CB, even if Bednarek goes as expected.

Striker wise, great shame we couldn’t agree a deal with the outgoing Chelsea ownership for Broja.

Would prefer a permanent signing rather than loan, and Kaladjzik seems the stand out player. I expect  us to go for a signing  with a view to develop and sell on though rather than for the here and now. 

8 hours ago, DT said:

Now Ralph will have no excuse. Rather exposing for him...

He has been given everything he wants, the players he wanted (within reason) and autonomy around his coaching team… I would say he has until October 👀

If he is failing by then Id ‘suggest’ we have funds available and managerial targets lined up

Sports republic are serious and fear relegation will disrupt their organisation 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Can’t see us going for Colwill having signed AKB, another young CB, even if Bednarek goes as expected.

Striker wise, great shame we couldn’t agree a deal with the outgoing Chelsea ownership for Broja.

Would prefer a permanent signing rather than loan, and Kaladjzik seems the stand out player. I expect  us to go for a signing  with a view to develop and sell on though rather than for the here and now. 

Depends - three potentially high-resale value young CBs are better than two. The Dortmund model doesn't involve only buying just as many young players as you need for the first XI - you have to have a couple of spares in case they don't work out/succession planning.

Buy to sell to buy is a really precarious strategy if you're doing it on a 1 to 1 replacement basis (as we have seen the past few years). Hopefully the new owners have enough of a financial buffer to allow us to move to the buy a few to sell to buy a few model.

Oh, and Elyououssi is mediocre. Was hoping he'd be on the way out.

• Like 1

Thoroughly approve of all this buying early and before we sell, and impressed by the business, but for everyone coming in, and keep them coming, it potentially moves another towards the  revolving doors. As well as the Djenepos and Walcotts and Redmonds, plus one/two/three centre backs, plus Forster and Long, we have half a dozen players who were out on loan last season - Vokins, Ndululu, Ramsey, etc.....  plus, probably, Smallbone who are all taking a piece of the wage bill. (Although in some cases, a very small piece!)

I'm guessing that clubs looking to buy know we want rid, and effectively it becomes a fire sale of damaged goods, hence the risk we get two thirds of bugger all in transfer fees, and the closer we get to the end of the window, the less the value of the deal. I suppose there is no way around this, but it might mean very little income, just reduced salaries, is the end product.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I really don’t get why everyone thinks delap would only be a loan?

he’s in the same boat as Lavia and bazunu. Even if they didn’t sign haaland I doubt he would have seen much game time they would have probably played false 9 over him getting time.. now they have the hottest striker of the moment delap’s time will be extremely limited .

see no reason we can’t get a similar deal with a buyback 

Delap is under contract till 2026 so city are under no pressure to sell. He does need to be playing or involved in first team football though so would expect loan is the most attractive option for them.

25 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Moi may have improved since his original spell but he's simply gone from being total cack to being bang average. 

He's a very good footballer technically and does like to get stuck in. His lack of  pace stops him being a great player, IMO. MAybe he would be better sitting behind the strikers and threading balls rather than coming in from wide?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He's a very good footballer technically and does like to get stuck in. His lack of  pace stops him being a great player, IMO. MAybe he would be better sitting behind the strikers and threading balls rather than coming in from wide?

He’d be better in a different league, he’s the Norwegian Juanmi. The pace of the EPL just passes him by, even in spite of the occasional tidy finish or assist.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Moi may have improved since his original spell but he's simply gone from being total cack to being bang average. 

Average is fine for a squad player IMO, we can't replace the whole team, there are 5 subs next season as well so more chances to refresh a tired team. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Average is fine for a squad player IMO, we can't replace the whole team, there are 5 subs next season as well so more chances to refresh a tired team. 

I expect Ralph likes his off the ball work. That's useful to have coming off the bench even if he doesn't contribute going forward as much as we'd like

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Exactly. Which is why I don't really have an issue with Redmond staying 

Looks like the door is open to Walcott staying. Some talk yesterday about him being still the quickest at the club and a new slate with the new coaching team. 

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Looks like the door is open to Walcott staying. Some talk yesterday about him being still the quickest at the club and a new slate with the new coaching team. 

which would be fine if we were coaching sprinters....

As for Moi, i thought he did OK last season - but i'm not sure on the principal of giving average squad players long term deals. I haven't checked when his contract expires but surely you'd give a squad player a 2-3 year deal rather than 4-5?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Think I'd draw the line at that one. See no point in him staying, didn't even make the bench on most match days during the second half of the season. If we could find takers for him and Djenpo I think we should do business. 

21 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Crikey, after last season, average is fine for a starter (half joke half not) 🙂

Don't get why everyone thinks last season was a disaster. It was, at worst, alright.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Don't get why everyone thinks last season was a disaster. It was, at worst, alright.

Recency bias, we were bad in the last third of the season therefore we were bad all the time. 

• Like 4

I always felt we'd keep Elyounoussi, we can't afford to add too many changes! I think he's pretty limited, so having him starting every week would be a big problem - but as a squad option he could occasionally serve some purpose. 

2 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Recency bias, we were bad in the last third of the season therefore we were bad all the time. 

I'd have taken last season. Obviously you can throw up the Norwich, Newcastle and Watford games but then I can counter with Spurs, Arsenal, City, United. Kinda balances itself out.

2 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd have taken last season. Obviously you can throw up the Norwich, Newcastle and Watford games but then I can counter with Spurs, Arsenal, City, United. Kinda balances itself out.

I reckon at the start of the season, if someone had said we would be unbeaten against both Manchester clubs, beat Spurs and West Ham away, and stay up, we would have taken it.

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I reckon at the start of the season, if someone had said we would be unbeaten against both Manchester clubs, beat Spurs and West Ham away, and stay up, we would have taken it.

The thing which totally skewed it all is the end of the season.

Had we got to 40 points in a relatively normal way, the odd win, the odd draws, the odd defeats, it would probably not look as extreme. But the run of defeats at the end was so horrendous that it makes it hard to really put the entire season into perspective.

• Like 6