Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I hope we're looking at others - even if that does come across as greedy. Not at all sold on Aribo atm, based on his record in Scottish football. 5 assists and 8 goals from 34 games last season - most of which were played vs league 1 opposition for a team that were European finalists. What is noticeable in his highlight reals is a lack of decent end product and a sloppy touch. Not sure he is any better than Redmond and will probably be quite frustrating to watch - he may offer something better than we have, but surely would prefer we went for better still i think.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish-premiership/top-scorers/assists

He was 11th for assists and 16th for goals in what is a very weak league whilst playing for one of the two runaway best sides. 

According to whoscored he played mainly centre-mid and DM.  I mean he kind of played a little bit everywhere so is clearly versatile, but 23 appearance in DM or CM, with 9 or so as an attacking mid, a smattering of appearances as striker or in a wide position. 

You can see from his passes list, most of the other there are wide attackers or strikers and have way less passes than him.

Whoscored seem to have him playing everywhere, in one of the games against Leipzig he was a striker, the game against Braga where he scored two he was a no.10, and in the other Leipzig game he was a centre-mid in a 3. 

So I think there is an element of we are potentially adapting him to our system and see something in him to work with, so whilst yes his goal/assists output for the SPL looks nothing special we might use him in completely different way and get more from him, who knows. 

Also £6 million, if he fails it's not going to be a big loss, but if we unearth a hidden gem it'll be a bargain signing. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1

It's nice to be in a state where season kick-off will at the very least be cause for excited curiosity, as opposed to the more regular oppressing dread.

With all the business done so far you have to believe that the owners are also seeking to answer the striker problem. If we can get that over the line and, if it's not too greedy, add another attacking midfielder, then we really will have good reason to be cheerful... at least until we're dragged into a possible relegation battle in the spring!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

According to whoscored he played mainly centre-mid and DM.  I mean he kind of played a little bit everywhere so is clearly versatile, but 23 appearance in DM or CM, with 9 or so as an attacking mid, a smattering of appearances as striker or in a wide position. 

You can see from his passes list, most of the other there are wide attackers or strikers and have way less passes than him.

Whoscored seem to have him playing everywhere, in one of the games against Leipzig he was a striker, the game against Braga where he scored two he was a no.10, and in the other Leipzig game he was a centre-mid in a 3. 

So I think there is an element of we are potentially adapting him to our system and see something in him to work with, so whilst yes his goal/assists output for the SPL looks nothing special we might use him in completely different way and get more from him, who knows. 

Also £6 million, if he fails it's not going to be a big loss, but if we unearth a hidden gem it'll be a bargain signing. 

Ah fair enough, that would explain the lack of final third / end product in the highlights reals. Agree that for £6M it's a low risk gamble, but still not convinced he's going to be much better than what we have. 

5 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Ah fair enough, that would explain the lack of final third / end product in the highlights reals. Agree that for £6M it's a low risk gamble, but still not convinced he's going to be much better than what we have. 

I remember either an article or an ITK post stating that we were looking at two midfielders, one in an attacking role and another 6. I think this covers both of those central options and also gives us more quality and touch in the number 10 area. 

He's not quite the pacy wide man type, but we don't really play that way really which is why I don't think Moussa really works for example. We play with the two 10's inverted and the full backs provide the width, so Armstrong on one side and Aribo on the other could be fairly fruitful both in terms of attacking ball retention and progression into the 'red zone' or whatever it's called.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Hmm, this won't go away will it. Forest are now pushing for Omar Richards (and they signed another right back) so you'd have to think they've moved back from their interest now.

£20m just feels too much for me, I'd be much happier if we have that sort of budget to play with that we throw it on a proper centre forward and then bring in a RB on loan to cover. The more money we can spend on an attacker the better.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 9

12 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Hmm, this won't go away will it. Forest are now pushing for Omar Richards (and they signed another right back) so you'd have to think they've moved back from their interest now.

£20m just feels too much for me, I'd be much happier if we have that sort of budget to play with that we throw it on a proper centre forward and then bring in a RB on loan to cover. The more money we can spend on an attacker the better.

Could we end up buying him for rb, and playing kwp further forward? Might be a more affordable way to change up our attacking mix?

2 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

Could we end up buying him for rb, and playing kwp further forward? Might be a more affordable way to change up our attacking mix?

Is spending 20m on a right back a more affordable way?

Just now, DT said:

I we're splashing 20 mill on a right back, am girding my loins for a late sale of JWP

I'd be more concerned it was KWP. Cant see us having 3 right backs all of which will be expecting first team football.

11 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

There is no way we're spending £20m on a RB....

Especially one that is not that good IMO and when we have two right backs that are good anyway. We only need some cover until Jan ish when Tino should be back fit. 

Also I'd be extremely loathe to be another club that over pays on a Liverpool cast off, you'd think after Bournemouth paid like near £40 million for Ibe and Solanke other clubs would steer clear of Liverpool's massive over valuation of their reserve players. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I'd be more concerned it was KWP. Cant see us having 3 right backs all of which will be expecting first team football.

That would be a massive loss

51 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

There is no way we're spending £20m on a RB....

Agreed. Not a chance.

If we had that kind of money sloshing about we'd be spending it on a striker (which we still might). There are also other great full back options like Omar Richards or Marcus Pedersen that are much more affordable and offer similar levels of potential.

42 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Likewise. Although we haven't spent as much as people think, to cover our expenditure, I am guessing one player will have to go out the door. Bednarek might just about do it by my calculations, but does anyone really want him? I am surprised there hasn't been links to KWP. I certainly don't welcome them. Maybe all the big hitters are covered at right back?

50 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Not sold on Williams, haven't seen anything from him that suggests he's anything special. I'd prefer a loan.

We have one of the best RBs's in the PL yet we seem determined to undermine his position here and probably his confidence by these constant rumours of our interest in other players for his position. Although he comes across as a thoroughly decent, popular and settled individual, it should be remembered that everyone has their limit on the number of times they will stand by to be 'insulted' in this way.

It's all very well insisting that he can play equally well in other positions but why should he be the one forced to play out of position to keep a place in the team? The club are playing a dangerous game which could result in one very pissed off player wanting out simply to get better treatmest choice RBnt and greater stability in his career and a real shot at becoming England's first choice RB.

We lose Kyle Water-Peters at our peril, our best and most consistent player by far.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

We have one of the best RBs's in the PL yet we seem determined to undermine his position here and probably his confidence by these constant rumours of our interest in other players for his position. Although he comes across as a thoroughly decent, popular and settled individual, it should be remembered that everyone has their limit on the number of times they will stand by to be 'insulted' in this way.

It's all very well insisting that he can play equally well in other positions but why should he be the one forced to play out of position to keep a place in the team? The club are playing a dangerous game which could result in one very pissed off player wanting out simply to get better treatmest choice RBnt and greater stability in his career and a real shot at becoming England's first choice RB.

We lose Kyle Water-Peters at our peril, our best and most consistent player by far.

KYLE Walker-Peters has insisted he is “comfortable playing anywhere” after featuring in the 10 role versus Manchester United, before Ralph Hasenhuttl compared him to German icon Philipp Lahm.    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19922227.southamptons-kyle-walker-peters-happy-play-anywhere-philipp-lahm-comparison/

“I think his (Livramento)  arrival has allowed me to show everyone I can play left-back. It’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing. I’ve done it since I was in the academy at Tottenham, playing left-back.

“Through the England youth system, left-back so yeah it wasn’t too new to me but it was nice to be able to show everyone, you know, how versatile I am.”

https://epl24x7.com/2022/06/10/01/15/40/126658/

He seems happy enough with the situation.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I agree though personally, I prefer him on the left! I think he's far more dangerous attacking wise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, warwicksaint said:

I don’t think Romeu is going to be dropped from the off. Got a feeling we may do 4-2-3-1 with:

bazunu

KWP-Salisu-Kotchop-Perraud

Romeu-lavia

armstrong-JWP-aribo

Che

Yeah I like this set up with the squad we have

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Likewise. Although we haven't spent as much as people think, to cover our expenditure, I am guessing one player will have to go out the door. Bednarek might just about do it by my calculations, but does anyone really want him? I am surprised there hasn't been links to KWP. I certainly don't welcome them. Maybe all the big hitters are covered at right back?

Think Roma were sniffing around about Bedders

14 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’ve seen his name a lot this window. Milan / Leeds / Leicester all want him.  Would say unlikely, but sounds crazy talented.

Yeh would be a potentially great signing, really interesting player, classy goalscoring/playmaking mid that can play a number of positions and is also 6' 3". 

But fees are being quoted at £30 million plus which seems outside our sort of budget going by all the other signings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warwicksaint said:

I don’t think Romeu is going to be dropped from the off. Got a feeling we may do 4-2-3-1 with:

bazunu

Romeu-lavia

armstrong-JWP-aribo

Che

can't see JWP playing further forward. He has found his position/role.

12 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I would say unlikely unless we’re going all #GeorgeBurley with signing centre-mids..

Unless we sell someone, I can only see us signing a striker from here on in (in terms of the first team) - after the Lavia and Aribo signings - perhaps on loan, if the right guy is available. I could be wrong though. 

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Unless we sell someone, I can only see us signing a striker from here on in (in terms of the first team) - after the Lavia and Aribo signings - perhaps on loan, if the right guy is available. I could be wrong though. 

TTwo strikers, one permenant and one loan is my thinking here. Then we will try to shift some of the others, Bednarek, Stephens, Walcott, Redmond, Djenepo before doing anything else. Great to ses us on the front foot, when Lavia and Aribo get over the line that'll 5 news players in before any sales. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Yeh would be a potentially great signing, really interesting player, classy goalscoring/playmaking mid that can play a number of positions and is also 6' 3". 

But fees are being quoted at £30 million plus which seems outside our sort of budget going by all the other signings.

This would definitely be the signing of the window for us. Immense talent 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

I’ve seen his name a lot this window. Milan / Leeds / Leicester all want him.  Would say unlikely, but sounds crazy talented.

https://www.hln.be/club-brugge/leeds-brengt-bod-van-tot-wel-35-miljoen-uit-maar-charles-de-ketelaere-wil-naar-ac-milan~ab4899ae/

Good source says he has no interest in Leeds move so doubt any different for us.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Kwp's best chance for England is at left back 😉

2 hours ago, Killers Knee said:

https://www.buildlineup.com/shared/62c54ec20a21ac24b4bf7936

Just need a point on the spear.  New striking talent.

That is actually the makings of a solid side. Especially when you consider you have romeu/lavia on the bench, and bednarek/BK. Plus 2 from redmond, Ely, tella. I actually think that Armstrong and Adams is a well balanced partnership provided the defence is sound and the midfield can feed them. They aren't so good if we have to chase games and until now our defence has been too shite to hold on to leads. 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

There was another club brugge attacker we could have gone for - for less money aswell 💔😭

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

That is actually the makings of a solid side. Especially when you consider you have romeu/lavia on the bench, and bednarek/BK. Plus 2 from redmond, Ely, tella. I actually think that Armstrong and Adams is a well balanced partnership provided the defence is sound and the midfield can feed them. They aren't so good if we have to chase games and until now our defence has been too shite to hold on to leads. 

Now Ralph will have no excuse. Rather exposing for him...

3 hours ago, warwicksaint said:

bazunu

Romeu-lavia

armstrong-JWP-aribo

Che

That’s a very good looking side tbf ❤️

• Like 1