Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Regarding Broja the geordie fans are the only fans who love a no9 

Can see him having pre season at Chelsea 

————————————

Regarding Delap have saints ever had a father & son both play for us?

unfortunatly know Arry signed Jamie (who did try & battled through his knackered knees) 

7 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure where Everton are getting £25m from? They’re skint. 

1 minute ago, Appy said:

£50m for Richarlison 

Yeah, wasn't the Richarlison thing an accountancy fudge to protect their end-of-year accounts for last season?

They are now free to splurge again.

I knew Odsonne Edouard would find it a lot more difficult in the Premier League and said as much last summer when we were linked with him and Armstrong to replace Ings. I did say I would prefer Armstrong at the time, but a year later and neither would have been much better than the other.

Aribo's a bit more of a difficult one. He has the skills, but I don't think he's always in control and given the lack of time and space in the Premier League, those skills may not come off as much down here as they do in Scotland. He's not particularly pacey either and isn't a playmaker like Tadic. But, at £10m, that's a fair price these days and may be a gamble worth taking. Although, I would rather see an electric forward like Mane/Pre-injury Rodriguez come in.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The big question is: does he have more pace than either of those two?

The lack of speed among our current lot of inside forwards is what makes us so toothless and easy to defend against.

Aribo is not pacey, he's a ball player, nice touch, good feet, tricks and dribbles. 

I really liked him at Charlton and suggested we take him on a free. I'm not sure his game has progressed much. He's good to watch, will help us retain the ball, but I'm  not sure there is the pace, power and end product you might be after.

7 hours ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Regarding Broja the geordie fans are the only fans who love a no9 

Can see him having pre season at Chelsea 

————————————

Regarding Delap have saints ever had a father & son both play for us?

unfortunatly know Arry signed Jamie (who did try & battled through his knackered knees) 

Another manager/player combo if you consider youth players, in both Pochettino Sr and Jr. We've had players who've had football playing dads (Wright-Phillips, Gunn etc) but I can't think of a dad/son combo that both played for us. (There's probably a really obvious one and I'll look silly 🙄).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

I knew Odsonne Edouard would find it a lot more difficult in the Premier League and said as much last summer when we were linked with him and Armstrong to replace Ings. I did say I would prefer Armstrong at the time, but a year later and neither would have been much better than the other.

Aribo's a bit more of a difficult one. He has the skills, but I don't think he's always in control and given the lack of time and space in the Premier League, those skills may not come off as much down here as they do in Scotland. He's not particularly pacey either and isn't a playmaker like Tadic. But, at £10m, that's a fair price these days and may be a gamble worth taking. Although, I would rather see an electric forward like Mane/Pre-injury Rodriguez come in.

Edouard has definitely been better than Armstrong. 6 goals and 3 assists in 28 appearances, compared to Armstrong who is a year older and got 2 goals and 2 assists in 27 appearances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

Another manager/player combo if you consider youth players, in both Pochettino Sr and Jr. We've had players who've had football playing dads (Wright-Phillips, Gunn etc) but I can't think of a dad/son combo that both played for us. (There's probably a really obvious one and I'll look silly 🙄).

Wasn’t  Alan Ball’s son an apprentice at Saints at one point ?

Lawrie’s son Chris McMenemy was with us, and later had a coaching role.

Neither of their sons got near playing for the first team though.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Edouard has definitely been better than Armstrong. 6 goals and 3 assists in 28 appearances, compared to Armstrong who is a year older and got 2 goals and 2 assists in 27 appearances. 

In fairness though place were a better team than us last season, especially in the final 3rd. 

Not saying I disagree, but I do suspect Armstrong would have scored more there than he did here. 

9 hours ago, Chez said:

Aribo is not pacey, he's a ball player, nice touch, good feet, tricks and dribbles. 

I really liked him at Charlton and suggested we take him on a free. I'm not sure his game has progressed much. He's good to watch, will help us retain the ball, but I'm  not sure there is the pace, power and end product you might be after.

Watched a load of clips this morning. Lots of midfield tricks - notably has some nice touches, but also an awful lot of loose ones that I think would be punished in the prem. Initially I thought he reminded me of lallana, I.e. has some skill and is used to a more physical league (before reaching the prem).

But similar to your view, now my overriding impression is that he plays against league 1 players for a team that made the europa league final, and yet, what was most notable was the lack of quality end product - I.e. chance yielding passes, assists, or goals. Suspect a Nathan redmond highlight real would look similar or perhaps better? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Saint86

16 minutes ago, Dman said:

In fairness though place were a better team than us last season, especially in the final 3rd. 

Not saying I disagree, but I do suspect Armstrong would have scored more there than he did here. 

Perhaps thy were a better team in the final third because Armstrong was not playing for them is a possible explanation

• Like 1

Edouard started well but then seemed to struggle to nail down a place in the starting eleven for Palace.

Not sure he's strong enough at holding the ball up to play on his own up front which is why Palace ended up playing Mateta. We'd have to do a lot of work to get him on board with pressing.

Technically very good though. 

3 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't think Aribo is a terrible player but don't think he is what we need at 10.

To be fair I've not really seen him a lot but one or two Rangers fans I know think he's pretty decent and they're normally good judges. I agree though we probably need someone different to him (Id love CHO regardless as how unlikely it might seem) but as well as him, together with Stu Armstrong and probably Tella (one more season to establish himself), it sounds better than last seasons group with Redmond, Moussa and Theo. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

We also had Tony Pulis’s son for a while was shocking in games saw him shouted a lot at others couldn’t do it himself.

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

We also had Tony Pulis’s son for a while was shocking in games saw him shouted a lot at others couldn’t do it himself.

Bloody hell i had forgotten that complete waste of space. I think I saw him on the pitch once in a pre season friendly.

He seemed to hang around for a long time but that could just be my imagination playing tricks. 

• Like 1

Just now, Turkish said:

Cant think of too many players who have played for their dads

Harry and Jamie Redknapp

Brian and Nigel Clough

Ron and Dalian Atkinson

Cant think of any others.

Kevin Bond John Bond?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Harry and Jamie Redknapp

Brian and Nigel Clough

Ron and Dalian Atkinson

Did Darren Ferguson ever play competitively for Man Utd ? 

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Harry and Jamie Redknapp

Brian and Nigel Clough

Ron and Dalian Atkinson

Any Portsmouth player ever!

Edit - sorry thought you said "played with"

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Badger said:

Jamie Redknapp was playing for us when Harry was managing us...That's about the closest I can think of

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Yes he was but difference  being that Pulis Snr wasn’t or hasn’t been involved at Saints (unless you include a rumoured agreement with Rupert to take over at some stage). 

12 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Would still like us sign Broja on a permanent but for not more than 20m which is unlikely I guess.  Not sure Aribo is in the same mould or has the same ability?

Don’t think he’s anywhere near Broja in terms of ability or potential. Not same position either. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Watched the first 3mins of his 2021 highlight video and its a no for me - he's just a lanky moi, we need killers coming in from the wide positions with pace not the same player in a billion different varieties.

Not sure pace in itself is the answer in the ten position (although it doesn't do any harm).  Stuart Armstrong is our best player in the position but I wouldn't say he was that quick.  Problem with Moi is that he's slow and also not really able to beat any players with skill.  Plus, half the time we compress the play so much that there's no space for anyone to run into even if they did have any pace.  Not really sure what the answer is.  I liked the look of Christoph Baumgartner - he looked perfect for the role but aside from an Athletic article suggesting we should sign him there hasn't been any serious links.  I reckon we're looking at people that haven't been mentioned yet - the Aribo one smacks of agent trying to get his name out there so everyone knows he's available.

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Harry and Jamie Redknapp

Brian and Nigel Clough

Ron and Dalian Atkinson

Tom Ince and Alex Bruce.

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Harry and Jamie Redknapp

Brian and Nigel Clough

Ron and Dalian Atkinson

Lets not forget Cesare Maldini and Paulo Maldini for Italy

And of course Johan and Jordi Cruyff at Barca

5 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Is Armstrong the new Shane to the boo boys I wonder, now hes gone?🤔