Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

53 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

And relax, MLG must be having a break for tea and biscuits. 

Knowing MLG he probably has Jaffa cakes just so he can start an argument with himself as to whether they’re a cake or a biscuit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

10M release clause for Aribo.  Palace and Fulham both interested.  

Quite a lot of talk about us being in for him in Jan but nothing ever came of it, plus we were definitely in for him when he went to rangers so would be surprised if we weren’t trying to get him now. Looks a class player

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

They are a cake.

Soft when fresh, hard when stale = cake

Hard when fresh, soft when stale = biscuit

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

What about those things that Americans call ‘biscuits’? Akin to a scone and don’t fit your description. If you’re going to provide an all-encompassing rule you need to be more clear.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ekelund said:

Tell you what, regardless of who we end up with, isn’t it enjoyable having that bit of optimism back during the window. 

SR looking promising so far 🤞

Much better than what we used to get - 

''Southampton are comfortable with the squad situation''

''They believe better targets become available at the end of the window''

''They are keeping all options open, priority remains position x, but club are relaxed if they can't find the right player''

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

What about those things that Americans call ‘biscuits’? Akin to a scone and don’t fit your description. If you’re going to provide an all-encompassing rule you need to be more clear.

Resorting to American “English” to prove your case means you automatically lose the argument - Can’t spell, can’t pronounce words properly and can’t use the right words for things.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Granite_City_Saint said:

Resorting to American “English” to prove your case means you automatically lose the argument - Can’t spell, can’t pronounce words properly and can’t use the right words for things.

It’s not an argument, it’s a statement of fact. Biscuits in America, Canada and other nations do not fit the description provided. You’ve ‘automatically lost the argument’ if your own justification to it is so insular that you can’t see outside of your own definitions and appreciate a global picture.

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

''They are keeping all options open, priority remains position x, but club are relaxed if they can't find the right player''

"The manager wants a small squad." No manager in football wants a small squad, leaving them with a lack of options and having to turn to the likes of N'Lundulu, Ramsay and Tyreke Johnson at Premier League level.

34 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Scones are cakes. They are soft when fresh and go hard when stale.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/scone

We need some transfer news!

Blog Reporter GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

How depressing reading that. "Relaxed about the situation" - that's the one that really gets me angry

1 hour ago, Ekelund said:

Tell you what, regardless of who we end up with, isn’t it enjoyable having that bit of optimism back during the window. 

SR looking promising so far 🤞

Where's the optimism coming from? 

Last seasons appalling form in the run in is still fresh in the memory, we've lost our best striker from last season , haven't signed anyone who we know will strengthen our first XI (just a gamble on what seem to be a couple of promising youngsters) , I look at Saints and am expecting a real struggle at the start of the season 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Badger said:

Don't recall the booing although many fans became indifferent to him. I liked him when he arrived at the club and felt sorry for him how it turned out. 

He lived up to reputation as being  a good hard running MF for a while but two broken legs seemed understandably to knock his confidence and he didn't seem to recover from that with us. Credit to him - and Pulis though - as he certainly recovered form at Stoke.

Delaps problem was he was seen as our big money record signing and never really lived up to that, if he'd cost 800k I think he'd have been appreciated a bit more 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JRM said:

Where's the optimism coming from? 

Last seasons appalling form in the run in is still fresh in the memory, we've lost our best striker from last season , haven't signed anyone who we know will strengthen our first XI (just a gamble on what seem to be a couple of promising youngsters) , I look at Saints and am expecting a real struggle at the start of the season 

That bit of optimism is comparative to past windows. Thought that was obvious. 

As it happens I am optimistic about next season, it can’t be any worse the last 6 months. At the risk of being happy clappy its clear steps are being taken to change on a number of fronts,  hopefully for the better.  

36 minutes ago, JRM said:

Delaps problem was he was seen as our big money record signing and never really lived up to that, if he'd cost 800k I think he'd have been appreciated a bit more 

I don't want to dump on the guy but he really was bad and I would have wanted him out of the team regardless of how much he cost

24 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I don't want to dump on the guy but he really was bad and I would have wanted him out of the team regardless of how much he cost

Sorry but I don't recall him being really bad.  Functional and a bit one dimensional most of the time maybe but I can't really remember him being much of a target for the crowd.  To be honest if it wasn't for the price tag then he'd be one of those you barely remember (at least for me).  Ripley, Kenton, McCann and Ferndandes all seemed to have more detractors than fans (although I really rated Fernandes).  Delap was a bit meh but that's just my recollection.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

He wasn’t that bad. The problem was he started out playing at right back for some bizarre reason, he did okay in midfield but for £4m which was huge money for us on those days we all expected a lot more. The embarrassing thing was he was our record signing for 10 years until we signed Rodriguez from Burnley. Like JRM said if he was a lot cheaper people would remember him more fondly.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ekelund said:

That bit of optimism is comparative to past windows. Thought that was obvious. 

As it happens I am optimistic about next season, it can’t be any worse the last 6 months. At the risk of being happy clappy its clear steps are being taken to change on a number of fronts,  hopefully for the better.  

I'm all for optimism but I'm still not seeing it, are you saying you're feeling optimistic because we're being linked to players that you perceive as being good rather than those we've signed or the current squad? 

Some of our games towards the end of last season we're as bad as I've seen in years particularly away from home. 

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

I'm all for optimism but I'm still not seeing it, are you saying you're feeling optimistic because we're being linked to players that you perceive as being good rather than those we've signed or the current squad? 

Some of our games towards the end of last season we're as bad as I've seen in years particularly away from home. 

You're focusing on the games at the back end of last season, to me they're gone now. All history. And too much focus on just players as well, a lot more is going on that is a sign for optimism.

As has been said, the club have clearly seen problems and are actively going about fixing it. Positive moves with backroom staff changes, ambitious moves for talented recruitment people and a clear strategy which now seems to be being accelerated. Last summer we wouldn't have been able to sign Bazunu or ABK until we sorted a sale. We wouldn't have even been able pay the compo for Davis, Watson and Flemming last year, let alone pay FC Kobenhaven compo for Selles without a sale of sorts. It's seemingly a different kettle of fish now.

The end of last season was pure bilge, but the club have recognised that and we seem to be going through a much needed reset in many areas.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 16

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

You're focusing on the games at the back end of last season, to me they're gone now. All history. And too much focus on just players as well, a lot more is going on that is a sign for optimism.

As has been said, the club have clearly seen problems and are actively going about fixing it. Positive moves with backroom staff changes, ambitious moves for talented recruitment people and a clear strategy which now seems to be being accelerated. Last summer we wouldn't have been able to sign Bazunu or ABK until we sorted a sale. We wouldn't have even been able pay the compo for Davis, Watson and Flemming last year, let alone pay FC Kobenhaven compo for Selles without a sale of sorts. It's seemingly a different kettle of fish now.

The end of last season was pure bilge, but the club have recognised that and we seem to be going through a much needed reset in many areas.

☝️What he said 👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He wasn’t that bad. The problem was he started out playing at right back for some bizarre reason, he did okay in midfield but for £4m which was huge money for us on those days we all expected a lot more. The embarrassing thing was he was our record signing for 10 years until we signed Rodriguez from Burnley. Like JRM said if he was a lot cheaper people would remember him more fondly.

Rightly or wrongly, I can remember pretty widespread speculation on SaintsForever that he must have a clause in his contract which said he had to play every game, because it was inexplicable that he wasn't being dropped. 

Also his ineffective throw ins used to get absolute pelters.

You're right that he wasn't totally out of his depth. But there were too many misplaced passes / soft challenges for a regular starter

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Rightly or wrongly, I can remember pretty widespread speculation on SaintsForever that he must have a clause in his contract which said he had to play every game, because it was inexplicable that he wasn't being dropped. 

Also his ineffective throw ins used to get absolute pelters.

You're right that he wasn't totally out of his depth. But there were too many misplaced passes / soft challenges for a regular starter

yes but we’ve all seen on here that the popular opinion isn’t always the right one, if it was Mane would now be playing in the Senegal league 1

It’s wasn’t the only time we’ve had a contract clause like that though, Guly allegedly had a clause in his contract that said he had to play a minimum of 15 minutes if he was fit and available .

🚨 Southampton are second favourites to sign Harry Winks during the summer transfer window.

Saints are 5/1 to sign the Tottenham midfielder in the coming weeks 

#saintsfc 
[Sun]

why won’t this absurd turd of a rumour get flushed down the toilet? I’m really hoping it’s not because spurs are negotiating for JWP. We should go nowhere near this. Would be shite deal of the century

• Like 5

1 hour ago, DT said:

🚨 Southampton are second favourites to sign Harry Winks during the summer transfer window.

Saints are 5/1 to sign the Tottenham midfielder in the coming weeks 

#saintsfc 
[Sun]

why won’t this absurd turd of a rumour get flushed down the toilet? I’m really hoping it’s not because spurs are negotiating for JWP. We should go nowhere near this. Would be shite deal of the century

Spurs already have their big signing for the summer.

10 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Scones are cakes. They are soft when fresh and go hard when stale.

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/scone

We need some transfer news!

Blog Reporter GIF by Leroy Patterson

Heard a rumour we are interested in Gary Baldi - no flies on him - with Rich Tea as a back up, despite his tendency to collapse in hot and wet conditions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, JRM said:

Very true as our attack was pretty poor probably the worst set of players as a unit I can remember since we got in the top flight

Without out decent players we were bound to struggle when Broja lost his form

Openda out performed (albeit similar) Broja at vitesse (last season) and has a bit more first team experience than broja did when he joined us. He still a bit raw but has a lot of potential. He's 22 years old, pacey, composed, very strong, and a good finisher. Would suit our system and will be available for circa £10m. Scored 19 goals in 37 games last year (often making it look easy) and does not want to go back to Brugge. Hope we're at least looking at him! Reckon he's going to be one of those players that gets picked up by midtier club and in a few years is making his name in both European and international football. Could certainly do a job for us given our current strikers' outputs. 

Also,

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Openda out performed (albeit similar) Broja at vitesse (last season) and has a bit more first team experience than broja did when he joined us. He still a bit raw but has a lot of potential. He's 22 years old, pacey, composed, very strong, and a good finisher. Would suit our system and will be available for circa £10m. Scored 19 goals in 37 games last year (often making it look easy) and does not want to go back to Brugge. Hope we're at least looking at him! Reckon he's going to be one of those players that gets picked up by midtier club and in a few years is making his name in both European and international football. Could certainly do a job for us given our current strikers' outputs. 

....and he wears the No. 7 shirt........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I actually like Harry Winks and would take him here, but absolutely not for the price that's been quoted. A loan might be decent.

In my opinion he would make a static, stuttering, negative team even more so. He's the last player this club needs to progress into a more offensive unit.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I actually like Harry Winks and would take him here, but absolutely not for the price that's been quoted. A loan might be decent.

Not for me. Never been impressed, and that Hoj improved the Spurs team when he replaced Winks tells it's own story. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I've a few mates who are Rangers fans and while they say that Aribo is great with the ball, there are games where he goes missing. Also very lazy at times out of possession which wont suit Ralph's style of play. Hopefully this link is just to disguise who we're really after

17 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

I've a few mates who are Rangers fans and while they say that Aribo is great with the ball, there are games where he goes missing. Also very lazy at times out of possession which wont suit Ralph's style of play. Hopefully this link is just to disguise who we're really after

On the Rangers forum almost without exception they all think he is brilliant

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He's the modern day Tom cleverly. Every time he gets the ball he'd pass it back with a short pass and stall any build up or or tempo we may have. He's also lightweight and doesn't have the agression or combativness needed for our central mids. It's a definitive no from me. 

The only exception to that would be whether the club are confident Ralph can light a rocket under him in the same way he did with JWP. At the moment though, he offers very little that we need given the money being quoted. 

Edited by Saint86

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Some one for the love of god please tell me where to search this forum as I was also on about openda months ago and i cant remember if it was cos we were linked or like @Saint86 he looks quality and defo wants to leave brugge.

• Like 2