Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, Neef said:

With these additional CB rumours, there's a part of me that thinks maybe Salisu is off. 

2 years left on his contract, and seemingly no rumours about an extension either. 

I’d assume he’s not. Would be an odd one to include him in the kit launch photos only to then ship him off. When ings went there was no sign of him in the photos despite being our top scorer

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Neef said:

With these additional CB rumours, there's a part of me that thinks maybe Salisu is off. 

2 years left on his contract, and seemingly no rumours about an extension either. 

I read an article a couple of months ago of him saying he’s open to new contract discussions and would like to stay

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

This will be another acid test for whether the new regime corrects the mistakes of the past - have they realised that quality strikers cost more than players in other positions?

And how on earth will they finance any of this when according to some on here they’re (allegedly of course) using SFC funds to prop up some dodgy Turkish second division team.  Struggling to get my head round all this…..🤣

4 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'd be... content with adding Delap as our Broja replacement and having the front three of Che/Armstrong/Delap. 

I wouldn't. 10 goals, and an injury prone kid who has never played a season of senior football.

That's not keeping us up.

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I wouldn't. 10 goals, and an injury prone kid who has never played a season of senior football.

That's not keeping us up.

Agree with this. I'm worried we are getting a bit carried away with the idea that all these nippers are wonderkids. 

We don't want to end up as a sexier version of the Poortvliet disaster.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Agree with this. I'm worried we are getting a bit carried away with the idea that all these nippers are wonderkids. 

I agree on the striker issue but I wouldn't say there was much danger of the BIB. The young players we have been signed are by all accounts very highly rated and will hopefully be a big improvement on their predecessors. The Poortvleit season was basically building a team around players like Vokins, Harry Lewis, Valery, Obafemi and N'Lundulu, then telling everyone it was some sort of wonder team of totaal voetbal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't remotely similar. The quality level of the youngsters they are signing is light years ahead of the 2008/09 season.

We're also in the Premier League, not trying to stay out of league one.

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

It isn't remotely similar. The quality level of the youngsters they are signing is light years ahead of the 2008/09 season.

I'd agree that the players we're signing or linked with do appear on face value to be pretty decent but it's difficult to tell just how good they'll be (to be fair that's the case with any new player not just kids).  There is a tendency to over hype young players though - over successive seasons many people buy into the hype of how good the younger players are or will be, and it's not that long ago you were saying how good Jankewitz was and look how that turned out.  I can also remember arguing with people saying Valery was going to be a future star, or that Smallbone was going to be a replacement for Hoijberg.   Until they've been tested in first team football no one really knows how they'll fare.  Take Delap - physically the lad is a monster at youth level and he's clearly got some talent but who knows how it'll work out when he can't bully his way through games.  I think the approach we're taking is absolutely the way to go but I'm not going to get too carried away just yet.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I agree on the striker issue but I wouldn't say there was much danger of the BIB. The young players we have been signed are by all accounts very highly rated and will hopefully be a big improvement on their predecessors. The Poortvleit season was basically building a team around players like Vokins, Harry Lewis, Valery, Obafemi and N'Lundulu, then telling everyone it was some sort of wonder team of totaal voetbal.

Not really. We had some experienced players like Kelvin Davis, Chris Perry, Skacel, JP Saejis, Wright Phillips, Wotton, Euell and Saganowski all played more than 20 games. Of the youngsters who played regularly Lallana and Schniderlin who went onto to play for Liverpool and Man U plus a Mcgoldrick and Surman who also had decent championship careers and played quite a few premier league games. 

there were a few duds in there, Lloyd James was awful and played 40 odd games, Olly Lancashire and the world class Ryan Smith, Gillet was hard working but not quite up to it. 

It’s a it of a myth we played the season with a load of kids, we had a lot of kids in our squad that season but most of them only played a handful of times, the only ones who played more than 25 games but didn’t have a decent career at champship level or above was Lloyd James

We were skint with a crap team with a crap manager full of has Beens, never gonna he’s with a a few decent kids who weren’t ready for championship football at that time. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Yep, kinda how I see it. 

Im sure I saw somewhere that we would look to bring in experience along with youth. We’ve not seen much in terms of experience with the links I’ve seen, which is a worry. 

If we’re in the shit come Christmas time, which could easily happen, I’d fear that a team full of kids might not have the know how or savvy to get us out. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintTex said:

for everyone saying we need to find an attacking player that gives us 10-12 goals a year, here is your going rate..

Richarlison £50m

Jesus £45m

Although you get an infinite supply of tuna sandwiches for the catering, to offset the cost of the second one. 🙂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Although you get an infinite supply of tuna sandwiches for the catering, to offset the cost of the second one. 🙂

If David Blaine can confuse people in the 21st century, imagine what sleight of hand would do to bronze age farmers...

jesus GIF

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

for everyone saying we need to find an attacking player that gives us 10-12 goals a year, here is your going rate..

Richarlison £50m

Jesus £45m

On the other hand you've got players like Cornet and Dennis who weren't far off getting the same number of goals in worse teams supposedly available for 17.5M and 20M respectively.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SaintTex said:

Richarlison £50m

Jesus £45m

The following got 10+ goals last year: Jarrod Bowen, Ivan Toney, Teemu Pukki, Emmanuel Dennis. So it’s not necessarily the going rate. Not easy though, granted.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

On the other hand you've got players like Cornet and Dennis who weren't far off getting the same number of goals in worse teams supposedly available for 17.5M and 20M respectively.

Exactly this and I'm hoping both are on our list of targets along with Tete.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

I await to see who we bring in but I agree there does seem to be echoes of the Championship relegation season in my head. Young players we're relying on to make the step up to the Premier League. It's a big jump in a tough league. Yes if they're good enough, they're old enough but are they?

It may work and lots of people are excited by the new project and we may have a team of the next World superstars, I just feel a bit uncomfortable about it all. That said we can't be much worse than the second half of last season.... can we?

Hopefully we address the attacking side in the next couple of weeks and I'll feel more confident about our squad.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I await to see who we bring in but I agree there does seem to be echoes of the Championship relegation season in my head. Young players we're relying on to make the step up to the Premier League. It's a big jump in a tough league. Yes if they're good enough, they're old enough but are they?

Signing...

Tommy Forecast

Anthony Pulis

Lee Molyneux

Ryan Smith

Jordan Robertson

Alex Pearce

Jan-Paul Saeijs

Zoltán Lipták

Romain Gasmi

Tomáš Pekhart

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Is not remotely the same as signing players Chelsea and Man City want to keep but can't offer immediate game time to. Livramento and Broja last season although young were good enough to go straight into a Premier League team and perform to a very high level. I wouldn't rule out Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap and other young players we sign doing the same next season.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

The following got 10+ goals last year: Jarrod Bowen, Ivan Toney, Teemu Pukki, Emmanuel Dennis. So it’s not necessarily the going rate. Not easy though, granted.

ok - I'll bite

#how many from Pens for each one :rolleyes:

West Ham brought Bowen for £20m (over 2 years ago!!) and is worth £40m - only one in the PL when buying and brought off a relegated club

Brentford brought Toney for £5m (over 2 years ago and in the champo) and is worth £40m?

Norwich brought Pukki for £2m (over 4 years ago and in the champo) and is worth £5m

Watford brought Dennis for £3.6m (over 2 years ago and in the champo) and is worth £20m

transfer-market prices

*disclaimer*  these prices may go and down

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Signing...

Tommy Forecast

Anthony Pulis

Lee Molyneux

Ryan Smith

Jordan Robertson

Alex Pearce

Jan-Paul Saeijs

Zoltán Lipták

Romain Gasmi

Tomáš Pekhart

Jerry Seinfeld GIF

Is not remotely the same as signing players Chelsea and Man City want to keep but can't offer immediate game time to. Livramento and Broja last season although young were good enough to go straight into a Premier League team and perform to a very high level. I wouldn't rule out Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap and other young players we sign doing the same next season.

We've realised we can't financially compete with most teams in our league so we're signing youngsters because they're in our price range. They're also largely untested in our league. As highly rated as they may be, there's still something that makes me feel uncomfortable about it. I'm sure the scouting department know what they're doing but that's just the way I feel right now.

We didn't have a pot to piss in in the Championship relegation season aside from pushing the boat out on Morgan, so of course things are different now as we do have some spending money, but whether it's wise to spend it on talented youngsters remains to be seen. I hope they come good and make it as otherwise I really think we're in danger of relegation this season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

We shouldn't be too complacent either, brilliant as they may be as individuals it will be a mighty challenge to get them playing together harmoniously in a system of play that will be alien to most of them.

25 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

ok - I'll bite

#how many from Pens for each one :rolleyes:

West Ham brought Bowen for £20m (over 2 years ago!!) and is worth £40m - only one in the PL when buying and brought off a relegated club

Brentford brought Toney for £5m (over 2 years ago and in the champo) and is worth £40m?

Norwich brought Pukki for £2m (over 4 years ago and in the champo) and is worth £5m

Watford brought Dennis for £3.6m (over 2 years ago and in the champo) and is worth £20m

transfer-market prices

*disclaimer*  these prices may go and down

You’re right that their values have gone up now (and Bowen was £18+7 so quite expensive anyway). But the point is that there are attacking players out there who cost a hell of a lot less than £45m or £50m. Players like Dennis and Toney for instance were given a chance before being ‘proven’. Obviously it’s in the scouting to find those players, which is why proven PL scorers cost the earth, it’s a lot easier to go by previous record but it has a price. I’d say Graziano Pelle is the role model type of striker Saints should be looking at buying. Not at all easy be very doable.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I don't feel too at ease with the approach either, but by the same token I'm somewhat intrigued and excited by what could be achieved.

I'd be a bit more comfortable with a tiny bit more proven quality in the side though, otherwise there is a fear that we could hang very talented young players out to dry. I remember when we bought Morgan in the Champ, that was considered at the time to be a 'massive' coup (and to be fair he turned out to be an excellent top level player), but he struggled to start with because of the lack of experience around him, and when the quality of the experience came in the mould of Paul Wotton.

So I think think there are some similarities, but we're in a position of being able to aim for better quality because we're PL and not Champ. Either way though, if the young kids sink then we're heading one way rather quickly, the same as happened in the Champ.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't feel too at ease with the approach either, but by the same token I'm somewhat intrigued and excited by what could be achieved.

I'd be a bit more comfortable with a tiny bit more proven quality in the side though, otherwise there is a fear that we could hang very talented young players out to dry. I remember when we bought Morgan in the Champ, that was considered at the time to be a 'massive' coup (and to be fair he turned out to be an excellent top level player), but he struggled to start with because of the lack of experience around him, and when the quality of the experience came in the mould of Paul Wotton.

So I think think there are some similarities, but we're in a position of being able to aim for better quality because we're PL and not Champ. Either way though, if the young kids sink then we're heading one way rather quickly, the same as happened in the Champ.

Having old heads and experience is overated. 
you need that if there are in the prime of their careers but having walcotts and Long being here to do what exactly? They just go down as they age and are no longer able to contribute.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Having old heads and experience is overated. 
you need that if there are in the prime of their careers but having walcotts and Long being here to do what exactly? They just go down as they age and are no longer able to contribute.

I don't think people are saying ''old heads' and experience as such, it's more about having players with genuine top level exposure. They can be 23, 24 and still have that exposure as Mane did for e.g.

I don't think people are calling for a load of old blokes to look after the kids, just more match ready and match proven starters.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Loving our recruitment approach now. Really exciting. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so we'll see I guess.

I too would like some experience/leadership/grit brought in to help them: to keep their heads up when things get tough, and put a boot in on the opposition if needed.

In saying that I'm making the assumption that the 'youngsters' need this. Maybe they won't?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

We were skint with a crap team with a crap manager full of has Beens, never gonna he’s with a a few decent kids who weren’t ready for championship football at that time. 

skint you say, wit a crap team and a crap manager. Some has beens, never gonna be's ad kids not ready for Prem football...

7 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Loving our recruitment approach now. Really exciting. Of course the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so we'll see I guess.

I too would like some experience/leadership/grit brought in to help them: to keep their heads up when things get tough, and put a boot in on the opposition if needed.

In saying that I'm making the assumption that the 'youngsters' need this. Maybe they won't?

They absolutely will

I really don't get the obsession with experienced players. We have a squad overly burdened with " experience" already and that ain't getting us anywhere. 

JWP, Romeu, Stu Armstrong, KWP, Adams, even McCarthy, all have plenty of experience, as does Perraud and Lyanco. 

Redmond, Walcott, Long, Bednarek, Stephens, Moi, can all move on as even though they have experience they aren't going to help us improve. 

What I think people really mean is not experience as such but they'd feel more comfortable with 2 or 3 players who are perhaps 50-100 ges into top flight football but still young enough to develop further.

I think we will get one striker in the mid 20s (24-26) type of age and that will likely be it for "experience. The rest who arrive I predict will be 18-22 type age. 

Sure itay sound nervy to some but it's hugely exciting I think. 

• Like 2

Our starting XI next season will likely have KWP, Perraud, Salisu, JWP, Romeu, Armstrong and Adams as a bare minimum. Even if we have Baz, ABK and two more young players making up the numbers, that’s a perfectly adequate blend of youth and experience. We’ll still have McC, Willy, Stephens, Redmond and Walcott, amongst others, in reserve if needs be.

1 hour ago, warwicksaint said:

EB79D2AE-B73E-4ED7-853A-D4442A239533.png

16F3BA03-FB06-4F5F-B21D-C2EB8E3226F6.png

Odd. I get that Tinos injured but when he returns we could have him, KWP and Pedersen all vying for the RB position. Hardly a selling point for a Norweigan international to leave a club like Feyenoord and come here when not guaranteed game time. Unless we're contemplating playing Tino in a more advanced role....or selling KWP 😱