Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 hours ago, BILLY said:

There will still be a “Development” fee if he leaves at the end of his contract next Summer, but probably less than they would get for him now. 

I thought that only applied to under 16s who hadn't signed professional deals? 

10 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I’d like it to become more of a reciprocal arrangement whereby they take some of our players in return. Pep has always liked Redmond and with Sterling off it makes sense for both clubs 😉

Seriously wish they had taken van dick when we were selling him. If we get any of that quality in the future, would rather sell them to City than the scousers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

I'm not sure. I don't think Delap was a crowd favourite when he played for us. Seem to recall him being booed at home games. 

Used to have the chant:

Rory Delap, Rory Delap,

Sometimes he's good,

But mostly he's crap!

35 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Issa Kabore would be a great signing I think. Named Afcon best young player earlier this year. Looks a real prospect

Yes, does look pretty impressive. 

I think the fact that we're looking at another right back either on loan or permanently shows this is not a normal transfer window.  In previous years we'd have probably made do with what we already had because there were other priorities.  Same goes for our supposed interest in Levi Colwill and (hopefully) the signing of Lavia.  They're positions we don't necessarily have to strengthen if it came at the expense of other more pressing areas, like the number 10 positions or up front.

I'm assuming the relative lack of rumours on the 10s and strikers is because we've identified our key targets and are waiting on other clubs and the transfer merry go round to get into full swing.  Can't believe we won't get players in to strengthen these positions.  I guess we might see a bit of movement now the U19 tournament is over and if our interest in Harvey Vale and Liam Delap is real.

Shaping up to be a transformational transfer window which is what we need.  I don't think the current squad is actually that bad but it's been together for a while now and definitely needs freshening up.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

I'm not sure. I don't think Delap was a crowd favourite when he played for us. Seem to recall him being booed at home games. 

Don't recall the booing although many fans became indifferent to him. I liked him when he arrived at the club and felt sorry for him how it turned out. 

He lived up to reputation as being  a good hard running MF for a while but two broken legs seemed understandably to knock his confidence and he didn't seem to recover from that with us. Credit to him - and Pulis though - as he certainly recovered form at Stoke.

34 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Watched him a few times in serie a last season always looked impressive bombing forward but a little suspect the other way. Not the biggest either. Scotland have a lot of decent left backs these days.

43 minutes ago, Badger said:

Don't recall the booing although many fans became indifferent to him. I liked him when he arrived at the club and felt sorry for him how it turned out. 

He lived up to reputation as being  a good hard running MF for a while but two broken legs seemed understandably to knock his confidence and he didn't seem to recover from that with us. Credit to him - and Pulis though - as he certainly recovered form at Stoke.

I definitely recall booing for him was more so during the relegation and first championship season.

He was our marquee signing when we moved to St Mary's, and I like many were totally underwhelmed especially when Bierhoff was being rumoured. 

Remember Stuart Gray playing him at RB (Dodd must have been injured and Paul Murray not up to it) and he looked totally lost, got sent off at St Mary's whilst playing there. 

Met Rory Delaps dad in the pub at Blackburn away 2004 and he said his sons biggest downfall was he was happy to get a game, even if it meant playing out of position. 

Edited by Paul Chuckle

9 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

The same could be said for players needing support and encouragement. 

A Southampton supporter is a supporter of the club. Makes sense that they give support and encouragement to the players and not onrs like that Rory Delap chant I was responding to!

Why do fans need to give other fans support and encouragement on an internet forum that is intended for discussions?

Edited by Matthew Le God

57 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

A reasonable read but nothing relatively new in it to be honest

The disconnect between senior ready academy starlets and the new scholars isn’t really difficult to understand considering that age group is likely around those that would have been affected by our falls down the leagues

TBH I’m pretty comfortable with our current strategy, we seemingly are trying to position ourselves as the premier destination for young talents at the levels below say Foden etc and I think as a club our size that is very sensible, look at those looking to ‘break’ into the top 6 using a spend model, aiming for players such as James Rodriguez or Coutinho is a risk at high values and Id much rather buy good up and coming talent with good pedigree.

We probably do need an ‘experienced’ head, I know thats a marmite word on here, but in my eyes I mean leadership ability not necessarily time in the game

From the outside sports republic look like they’re moving in a good sensible direction 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not a great way to support the players and give them encouragement

Our fan base is one of the least encouraging in the PL. One misplaced pass is all it takes for the moans and groans and boo's to start ringing out

• Like 3

Tenuous link to Aribo, both my Rangers supporting and Nigerian mates both think he’s absolutely quality. Played the most minutes in Europe last year I believe.

A player who doesn’t overly seem to suit the 4-2-2-2 however, so I wonder if we are exploring a formation change this year. 

37 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Our fan base is one of the least encouraging in the PL. One misplaced pass is all it takes for the moans and groans and boo's to start ringing 

Generally seems to come from the older members of the fan base in my experience. Probably the same ones who moan about video games, signing foreign players and women's football on here

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Tenuous link to Aribo, both my Rangers supporting and Nigerian mates both think he’s absolutely quality. Played the most minutes in Europe last year I believe.

A player who doesn’t overly seem to suit the 4-2-2-2 however, so I wonder if we are exploring a formation change this year. 

What makes him unsuitable to play as one of the narrow attacking midifielders in the 4222?

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

What makes him unsuitable to play as one of the narrow attacking midifielders in the 4222?

Because I’ve spoken to two people who watch him play and he doesn’t play there? He’s either played directly off the striker or in midfield. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I remember there being vocal unhappiness any time he went to take a throw in, which was funny as Pulis showed what a weapon it could be.

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Because I’ve spoken to two people who watch him play and he doesn’t play there? He’s either played directly off the striker or in midfield. 

Whether he currently played in that role was not what I was asking. He doesn't need to currently play in a role to be suitable for it. I was asking what about his game makes him unsuitable for the role.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Whether he currently played in that role was not what I was asking. He doesn't need to currently play in a role to be suitable for it. I was asking what about his game makes him unsuitable for the role.

What about his game makes him suitable ? Out of interest ?

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Because he’s not played there? Are you alright? I used the word overly for a reason, go have a drink or something.

10 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Because he’s not played there? Are you alright? I used the word overly for a reason, go have a drink or something.

Playing in midfield off the strikers is what a narrow number 10 role is in a 4222.

22 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Watched Rangers he is quality. We tried to get him before Rangers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Our fan base is one of the least encouraging in the PL. One misplaced pass is all it takes for the moans and groans and boo's to start ringing out

I raise you West Ham

Straight on the players backs if not doing well

:toppa:

Edited by le_tiss