Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

2 minutes ago, igsey said:

If I were him I'd take the money and run.

I'm not sure how long he's been at Saints but there's a good chance he will have known other promising kids who then got career-ending/changing injuries - look at Hesketh at Eastleigh.

Seagar for another.

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Was Slatery also supposed to be the next big thing.

What even happened to him in the end? 

Seager just got a deal at Dorking in the national League after scoring for fun at hungerford the level below.

Believe Slattery is at Motherwell 

22 minutes ago, igsey said:

If I were him I'd take the money and run.

I'm not sure how long he's been at Saints but there's a good chance he will have known other promising kids who then got career-ending/changing injuries - look at Hesketh at Eastleigh.

20 minutes ago, Badger said:

Seagar for another.

12 minutes ago, Dman said:

Was Slatery also supposed to be the next big thing.

What even happened to him in the end? 

Of course, sod's law being what it is, you can bet your bottom dollar that the first one we let go before their career starts to go downhill will be the one that bucks the trend and turns into the next Messi :)

• Haha 1

If Dibling does go, realistically who cares? He’s not going to be part of any first team starting teams for two/three years minimum (and that’s if he’s good enough).

He could easily turn into another Nile Ranger. 😂

Move on. He isn’t the only player in the academy. If he wants to earn a shit ton of money at 16 years old then fine, but it’s those players who’s careers quickly dive before they’ve even begun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If Dibling does go, realistically who cares? He’s not going to be part of any first team starting teams for two/three years minimum (and that’s if he’s good enough).

Move on. He isn’t the only player in the academy. If he wants to earn a shit ton of money at 16 years old then fine, but it’s those players who’s careers quickly dive before they’ve even begun.

That's all well and good but if we take this approach every time another team tries to poach our best youngsters then we're never going to see returns on the investments we make in them at youth level. The whole point of having an academy is to get the best youngsters onto pro contracts and then either integrate them into the 1st team, if they're good enough, or sell for a fee if they're not

If hes as good as everyone seems to think then the club should be doing everything they can (within reason) to keep him here.

Edited by Restark19
Spelling
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Or he could turn into another Bale or Walcott and end up playing right at the top level.

If he stays he will absolutely play for the first team this season. 

From everything I hear from people who watch him week in week out he's an unbelievable player.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Or he could turn into another Bale or Walcott and end up playing right at the top level.

If he stays he will absolutely play for the first team this season. 

From everything I hear from people who watch him week in week out he's an unbelievable player.

If true, which I’m not doubting, then why aren’t we offering him what Newcastle are (or even more).

If he’s in and around the first team, he’s worth 7k a week as a premier league player. Especially when you consider we have Theo who’s not gonna get a sniff on c60k a week. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Everyone has a wish list and an agent. No way will he be allowed to leave with our emphasis on developing youth players.

If he is out of contract then there is precious little we can do if he wants to go.

16 minutes ago, Dman said:

If true, which I’m not doubting, then why aren’t we offering him what Newcastle are (or even more).

If he’s in and around the first team, he’s worth 7k a week as a premier league player. Especially when you consider we have Theo who’s not gonna get a sniff on c60k a week. 

and who actually watches 16 year players week in week out other than the parents, club coaches and Jimmy saville wannabees? 

• Haha 1

So Diblings birthday (according to transfrmarket) is in March, so he does not turn 17 until next year. 

Presumably this means Newcastle cannot sign him on a Pro contract until then? 

In which case, are there any restrictions on scholars moving club before this time? 

Or is this "signing" being put in place for March? 

If this kid is anywhere near as good as people are suggesting then surely we can match the money being touted around, but perhaps he actually wants to move for some reason. 

People are allowed to😂

When ypu look individualy at players and who comes and who goes its easy to get excited or disappointed but what matters is whether overall the club gets stronger and better as a collective, at all levels. 

Currently that seems to be the case.

17 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Things you love to see.

Got a further message back from my nephew after I mentioned about the other Man City youngsters we have signed / are trying to sign.

He's played against Liam lots of times and alongside him at England youth level, and he reckons he is a very similar type of player to Broja but, in his opinion, better.

If we can sign him on a perm, as this Tweeter suggests, that would be a great bit of business IMO.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, sambosa75 said:

We would all do the same.

I wouldn't, even ignoring being a Saints fan.

Parallels IMO with the Saudi Golf league, there other attempt at Sports Washing going on, quite a few high profile golfers like Mcllroy have rejected it

13 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Got a further message back from my nephew after I mentioned about the other Man City youngsters we have signed / are trying to sign.

He's played against Liam lots of times and alongside him at England youth level, and he reckons he is a very similar type of player to Broja but, in his opinion, better.

If we can sign him on a perm, as this Tweeter suggests, that would be a great bit of business IMO.

I can't remember the last time I was this excited by a transfer window.

Obviously it's Saints so it can all go tits up in a heartbeat but I'm loving the possibilities of our current approach.

I’m going to call it and say Doyle and Dibling won’t be leaving.

Just like I said I didn’t believe JWP would leave. 👍🏻

All he’d gain by leaving would be more money in the immediate future, doesn’t necessarily make him a bigger prospect in the long run.
If he’s motivated by money he isn’t the player for us, and we shouldn’t bow down to compete with giving a child such an absurd amount of money.

The teenagers coming in from the big clubs should speak volumes of the direction Saints are going and should show the best path for first team football is sticking with us.

• Like 1

Getting really excited by this window ......Gk sorted , CB Sorted , DM Sorted if we get Lavia ! , Striker sorted if we get Delap 

Nearly there and to get Lavia and Delap on Permanents would be incredible . If we can nick the chelsea Cb lad Colwell as well will be brill ......only issue i have or worry is where the Tadic type no10 is coming from because we need creativity 

38 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

Getting really excited by this window ......Gk sorted , CB Sorted , DM Sorted if we get Lavia ! , Striker sorted if we get Delap 

Nearly there and to get Lavia and Delap on Permanents would be incredible . If we can nick the chelsea Cb lad Colwell as well will be brill ......only issue i have or worry is where the Tadic type no10 is coming from because we need creativity 

we desperately desperately need a 10 surely it's non-negotiable

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

James Ward-Prowse to stay at Southampton this summer despite interest from West Ham, as well as links with Manchester United and Manchester City (talksport.com)

Don't drink anything whilst reading because the first main paragraph (under the intro paragraph in bold) will make you spit it everywhere laughing.

It was more like a wicked derisory cackle in the end.

I'd be... content with adding Delap as our Broja replacement and having the front three of Che/Armstrong/Delap. 

I think we then absolutely need to add one quick winger, preferably one capable of playing up top (similar to Redmond, just... better). 

I'd be very disappointed/surprised with any less than two attacking signings, and would definitely feel much more comfortable with 3 if we end up losing Long/Djenepo etc, even though they had limited minutes. I feel like it has to be one of Armstrong/Elyounoussi AND a quicker, direct player as our two players behind the striker. We look absolutely terrible with both of them starting together.

I am happy with how things are shaping up early on, but I am extremely worried about how much work needs to be done with that front four. I think Che/Stu are our only attackers of a good quality.

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think we probably need 2, and atleast 1 starting striker. Long way to go of this window though, but only 5 weeks til the first game of the season...

Agreed, but you could argue that we need 2 10's and 2 Strikers (we need to replace both Long and Broja).

I imagine the club will look for a striker in the Broja mold (an out and out number 9 as such) and another player like Amadou who can operate up front or out wide if required. We will need to shift one of Redmond or Moussa to get a complete number 10/wide player imo.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agreed, but you could argue that we need 2 10's and 2 Strikers (we need to replace both Long and Broja).

I imagine the club will look for a striker in the Broja mold (an out and out number 9 as such) and another player like Amadou who can operate up front or out wide if required. We will need to shift one of Redmond or Moussa to get a complete number 10/wide player imo.

We could potentially need 3 strikers if Adam Armstrong is allowed to leave in any capacity. Although I guess Tella can be trained to use his pace and miss when well placed instead.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I think we probably need 2, and atleast 1 starting striker. Long way to go of this window though, but only 5 weeks til the first game of the season...

I don't think 2 10's is very feasible. That would mean finding homes for 3 of our existing ones, who aren't likely to be very appealing to people.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

James Ward-Prowse to stay at Southampton this summer despite interest from West Ham, as well as links with Manchester United and Manchester City (talksport.com)

Don't drink anything whilst reading because the first main paragraph (under the intro paragraph in bold) will make you spit it everywhere laughing.

It’s Alex Crook, so that means he’s off……🤨

1 minute ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

image.png.17e3571a0bc6a9ba48dd32917eb5b873.png
Goodbye Shane. Hello striking megastars!

I like the words 'significantly strengthening'. It's weird to be seeing all this happening, we've been crying out for it for years. Once we sign Lavia (We are going to get some unfortunate typos of that, I'm sure!) that's already £30m down on players without selling, and now there's talk of us then looking at the attack! (and attackers notoriously cost more)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dman said:

This is where the Theo money we've wasted would have come in handy. Criminal that we gave him such a huge contract.

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I like the words 'significantly strengthening'. It's weird to be seeing all this happening, we've been crying out for it for years. Once we sign Lavia (We are going to get some unfortunate typos of that, I'm sure!) that's already £30m down on players without selling, and now there's talk of us then looking at the attack! (and attackers notoriously cost more)

It all does seem quite promising at the moment. 

I was discussing with some friends that, if we are willing to spend upwards of £35m on 3 players below 21 (Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap & Lavia) - then perhaps we do have a somewhat more substantial budget than in previous years.

Nothing but a guess/feeling. But it’s nice to be able to make a number of signings before pre-season has even started, and more importantly without having to sell anyone first. 

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Sure, he might not make it, but because he is actually talented, he's got a better chance than most in our academy.

City and Chelsea pay their 16 and 17 years old a shed load of money...and many of them come through. Not all of course, but many.  If you are a top young prospect, you get paid these days by the big sides. Doesn't mean you sit back and spend your time counting your money. It's bad news losing talent like this. 

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This will be another acid test for whether the new regime corrects the mistakes of the past - have they realised that quality strikers cost more than players in other positions?

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Svanberg v2.0?

How many cbs are we going for at this point, do you reckon the german we signed is gonna go straight into the first team as I cannot see why we'd want so many even with bednarek on the way out unless we are going 5 at the back?

3 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

How many cbs are we going for at this point, do you reckon the german we signed is gonna go straight into the first team as I cannot see why we'd want so many even with bednarek on the way out unless we are going 5 at the back?

Perhaps Richards is an alternate for Colwill.

Just read a couple of 3 week old news items reporting that Bayern had put several players up for sale. Roca was one, and he jojned Leeds - so perhaps the stories are reasonably accurate. Omar Richards was another, with Stuttgart interested. If we are looking for another left back - and I guess that all depends on how Small's progress is perceived, then Richards would be worth considering IMO.  

https://bayernstrikes.com/2022/06/13/bayern-munich-ready-move-three-fringe-players-summer/

20 minutes ago, samhammond said:

Seems feasible that his agent is just trying to get him a starting spot somewhere before the World Cup.

You can tell it has been put out by his agent because there's no way someone from the club would say "we are the most impressed with him"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Please don’t mention the words ‘Long’ and ‘Striker’ in such close proximity again….nearly shat myself!!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dorchester Saint said:

Please don’t mention the words ‘Long’ and ‘Striker’ in such close proximity again….nearly shat myself!!

Would love us to get in a natural finisher/prolific goalscorer. Long way to go of this window though, but only 5 weeks til the first game of the season... 😁

• Haha 1