Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

People seem excited about our recruitment. I have to say we are extremely light on experience and none of the incoming players have any PL games under their belt. 

They do all look good on the surface but we have seen from the last few windows that players can flatter to deceive and are soon found out. I really hope we sign someone in the 25 to 30 bracket.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, DT said:

package worth around 10 million quid and still pursuing Colwill apparently. ace

Think it’s a great policy for club like ours and would also like Brownhill too that would release JWP further forward 

Edited by Give it to Ron

5 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

People seem excited about our recruitment. I have to say we are extremely light on experience and none of the incoming players have any PL games under their belt. 

They do all look good on the surface but we have seen from the last few windows that players can flatter to deceive and are soon found out. I really hope we sign someone in the 25 to 30 bracket.

We enough in that bracket. We need the energy, optimism and ambition that goes with youth

• Like 1

Just now, Dellman said:

We enough in that bracket. We need the energy, optimism and ambition that goes with youth

This - also, last time I looked we still have bags of experience in Romeu (hope we keep him), and JWP in the middle. Stu Adams too. And Che for that matter. Blend is the key

13 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Long, Walcott, Stephens, Redmond and Bednarek all have bags of experience. I’m sick of experience. The players who’ve flattered to deceive didn’t do so because of a lack of experience. It’s because they aren’t good enough. They could all be here until they’re 35 and still be useless.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Long, Walcott, Stephens, Redmond and Bednarek all have bags of experience. I’m sick of experience. The players who’ve flattered to deceive didn’t do so because of a lack of experience. It’s because they aren’t good enough. They could all be here until they’re 35 and still be useless.

Yes don’t disagree but we should still be signing better experienced players. Everything at the moment seems geared to potential and making money. While that’s not completely wrong there needs to be a balance unless we are concentrating on the FA Youth Cup next season. 

• Like 3

Colwill next in line according to talkshit..

we are guna have some fearless youngsters come august 6th .. would like an old head or two but not overly bothered. Liking this approach from SR.

if we can lure shields from city..the conveyer belt from there will be like Chelsea last season… love the boy Delap to come here.. oozes class ! 👌🏻

8 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Yes don’t disagree but we should still be signing better experienced players. Everything at the moment seems geared to potential and making money. While that’s not completely wrong there needs to be a balance unless we are concentrating on the FA Youth Cup next season. 

I think it's a sensible model for clubs like ours. We can't compete on wages or signing fees on the really big names. Think we have to face that

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

I think lack of experience is certainly a valid concern especially if we are expecting them to come straight into the first team to make an impact. Tino started well last season but tailed off as it went on and it wouldn't surprise me if the number of games he was playing contributed to his injury. Even Salisu's form dipped considerably in the latter half though how much of that was down to fasting for Ramadan we can't say. I'd also wonder the affect of a long winless streak would have on their confidence should it occur as it is a recurring problem under Ralph and he's not been able to turn things around previously with more seasoned pros.

Aside from that, does anyone else have any concerns over the lack of noise about any new contracts for players? We seem to have sorted out those out of contract (Lewis & Forster departing, Willy signing an extension & Broja's loan ending - though still waiting on Longs future). But we have quite a number of players going into the last year of their contracts - Romeu, Redmond, Elyounoussi, Djenepo, Valery, Walcott - do we think we will extend for any? Let their contracts run down so they can go on a free? Sell now to get some return on them? You'd hope we'd be trying to tie down Romeu at least but I have this nagging feeling we may move him on this Summer. That's quite a few squad positions that would need replacing and i'd be concerned if we filled them all with youthful potentials. Doesn't even take into account if we did want to move on the likes of Bednarek or A Armstrong as is rumoured. 

6 minutes ago, SonicBoom said:

Maybe I should have been more specific. 

We are going to have very little experience in our back line. 

It isn't really that true though. They're young in age, yes, but not necessarily experience. 

Bazunu has been a full international for some time now and has a season under his belt at Nottarf Krap. 

Perraud has played 110+ games as a pro. 

Salisu will be going in to his sixth season playing at professional level. 

Kotchap has been playing for the Bochum first team for four years. 

Walker-Peters has made over 70 appearances for us alone. 

I've seen a lot of people clambering for more experience but not a lot in the way of realistic names mentioned apart from Ben Mee. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Saint_lambden said:

It isn't really that true though. They're young in age, yes, but not necessarily experience. 

Bazunu has been a full international for some time now and has a season under his belt at Nottarf Krap. 

Perraud has played 110+ games as a pro. 

Salisu will be going in to his sixth season playing at professional level. 

Kotchap has been playing for the Bochum first team for four years. 

Walker-Peters has made over 70 appearances for us alone. 

I've seen a lot of people clambering for more experience but not a lot in the way of realistic names mentioned apart from Ben Mee. 

Plus ralph has a specific request to work with younger players so not sure that this experience angle aligns with his philosophy.

Am excited and interested in all of these signings - lots to prove, will listen and will bust a gut to make it along with talent. 

33 minutes ago, DT said:

I think it's a sensible model for clubs like ours. We can't compete on wages or signing fees on the really big names. Think we have to face that

plus making money on player transfers means that in the next cycle (a season or two down the line) we perhaps are able to pay £15m or £20m for a youngster instead of the £5m or £10m we can afford right now. 

The success of the Ings transfer though, does make me wonder if we need `gamble' a little more, especially up front, should the right guy be available. Not sure who that right guy is though. Broja or Saar from Watford perhaps...

1 hour ago, SonicBoom said:

Not sure I am `excited' by our recruitment. Nervous might be a better description, but then again I am a pessimist for sure.

That said, I'm not bothered by the age of the players. Ajax made the EUROPA league final a couple of season ago with an entire team full of nippers. It's all about the quality. Hopefully we are signing gems.

Genuine question. Do all/most players actually get better beyond 25 or have their reached their peak in terms of skill and fitness? Was a 30 year old Beckham better than a 25 year old Beckham? Perhaps this differs depending on the position.

14 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I believe Dennis is going to Everton to replace Richarlison.

When Watford made us look like chumps at SMS, was it Dennis that ran rings round us on the break of Saar? I can't remember. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Rumours appear to be that it's Dibling, be a shame.

Be a joke if they did as this guy has already got some great publicity and is highly rated at this club.

Not sure how Newcastle can offer him £6,500 a week when he is still a school boy. I personally think that’s breaking some rules here.

It’ll be Bednarek - pretty certain he’s the only one likely to raise any kind of fee (Salisu excepted, but hopefully we’re keeping him)

I do think Bednarek is a good defender, but he doesn’t particularly suit how we play, so probably for the best for all parties if he did move on

• Like 1

I think what concerns us about these young players signing for us (Bazunu, Bella-Kotchap, Lavia) is that they are unknown quantities and hardly any of us know what to expect...

...but those in the know seem very positive about all three (as we'll as Colwill) so I live in hope. My concern is that in a season I think we'll be in a relegation battle (currently, I await to see our attacking signings) whether the youngsters will have the shoulders for it. We'll see. 

If we're the youngsters team of choice then I'd be surprised about Dibling leaving especially when there is a pathway for attacking talent in our ranks, but I guess that's Newcastle splashing their cash.

I have no problem with signing these young players for £10-15 million (or less in Tino’s case) but I really think we need a couple of players with sound Premier League experience. Or are we sticking with the old guard of Redmond, Long, Stephens etc to provide that? God help us if we are.

• Like 1

It's bloody confusing enough with names such as Che Adams, Adam Armstrong, Stuey Armstrong etc. Think about it guys, do we really want to be further confused by Oriol Romeu and Romeo Lavia.  I'm wondering if there's an Adam Romeo out there that we're also eyeing up to give us the full set.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If any young player goes to Newcastle it’s going to be for the money and because they’re not good enough for either Chelski or Citeh’s youth teams.  They have little to no academy rep to speak of, and they way they are supposedly spending money it’s hard to see a solid pathway to first team football.

All that said, if you’re offered a 3 year contract at £6.5k a week you’d be hard pressed to turn it down.  Hopefully he stays but understandable if he does take the money

So if Lavia signs, maybe Cowill too, then we need an AM (or two) and a CF. 

Quality experience would be useful to help the young lads along, preferably someone who’s done something decent in their career but players tend to stay fitter longer now and squads are bigger. The days of Case, Mills, Richardson etc. joining are days gone by, but we some mine who can get the players fired up and staying the course would be useful. VVD is the last player that did this for us so age isn’t the key. 

James Ward Prowse (305 league games), Oriol Romeu (324), Che Adams (299) and Stuart Armstrong (427) have 1355 league games of experience between them. A large number of them in the Premier League. I hope all of them will be a part of the team this season and don't feel yet the imbalance between potential and experience. I somewhat understand the concern about lack of experience in defence, but KWP and Perraud seem intelligent players and have close to 200 league games between them. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

How does this monitoring work then ? is it the same as me saying i am monitoring the situation of Margot Robbie ?

Sounds like we are stalkers.

Got to be in it to win it

Edited by AlexLaw76