Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

12 hours ago, Dusic said:

Will be interesting to see if Long returns to training next week. 

Considering Adams will have an extended break our attack will be interesting in the first friendly or two, even if its behind closed doors games. Even in the first team training sessions.

Literally no point giving game time to N'Lundulu as he doesnt have a future at the club. Maybe Ballard will be with the first team to start with.

We really do need a couple of starting XI players in the striker and #10 position. With the season starting earlier (and a tough start) we can't afford to wait til deadline day either.

I assume Tella would move up front for initial friendlies.

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I was told that it was notable that Ralph's man management is not the best and he hasn't endeared himself to a number of players. Possibly that's why Broja wasn't up for staying. Personally I trust the person who told me and I don't think it's just the same as the other managers you mentioned. 

Perhaps a number of footballers are just utter bellends with big egos who need taking down a peg or two - just a thought...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Perhaps a number of footballers are just utter bellends with big egos who need taking down a peg or two - just a thought...

The trick is recognising which players need an arm around the shoulder and which need the tough approach

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I was told that it was notable that Ralph's man management is not the best and he hasn't endeared himself to a number of players. Possibly that's why Broja wasn't up for staying. Personally I trust the person who told me and I don't think it's just the same as the other managers you mentioned. 

I have heard similar. Transactional.

12 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

I have heard similar. Transactional.

I'd be really interested in knowing how many players is this from? Not that I'm saying this isn't true, but it's very easy to take opinions from a handful of people and draw the wrong conclusion - especially those who are already disgruntled or of an entitled disposition.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Shame we can’t transfer Ralph.  I hear Sholing are looking for a manager.

If any team isn't looking for a manager it's Sholing!

Dave Diaper is possibly the longest serving manager at any level in the country.

1 minute ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I'd be really interested in knowing how many players is this from? Not that I'm saying this isn't true, but it's very easy to take opinions from a handful of people and draw the wrong conclusion - especially those who are already disgruntled or of an entitled disposition.

Players and staff.  If you watch his press conferences and post match interviews it gives you additional insight into his character - how often does he point the finger (sometimes at players publically)but take no accountability himself? From what I'm told (and Hypo by the sounds of it) because of how RH conducts himself, the dressing room and training ground can have a very negative atmosphere around it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

Players and staff.  If you watch his press conferences and post match interviews it gives you additional insight into his character - how often does he point the finger (sometimes at players publically)but take no accountability himself? From what I'm told (and Hypo by the sounds of it) because of how RH conducts himself, the dressing room and training ground can have a very negative atmosphere around it.

I listened to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast with Nedum Onuaha the other day.  This sounds much like Roberto Mancini.

Nedum stated that Mancini was very rude/difficult to work for.  Poor communication and if you were not in his immediate thoughts, you knew it with silence.  Only for the quirky comments, smiles/jokes and fashionable scarfs to be on display in front the cameras/fans.

Difference, Mancini delivered a premier league title, but was not liked at all and was out pretty quickly after.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I listened to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast with Nedum Onuaha the other day.  This sounds much like Roberto Mancini.

Nedum stated that Mancini was very rude/difficult to work for.  Poor communication and if you were not in his immediate thoughts, you knew it with silence.  Only for the quirky comments, smiles/jokes and fashionable scarfs to be on display in front the cameras/fans.

Difference, Mancini delivered a premier league title, but was not liked at all and was out pretty quickly after.

In all seriousness, the hallmark of winning managers is that they have favourites and they have players they don't like - whom they won't waste time dealing with or even actively get rid of. Almost impossible to keep everyone happy and be a winner in football imo - unless you have a perfectly balanced squad. 

Edited by Saint86

Just now, Saint86 said:

In all seriousness, the hallmark of winning managers is that they have favourites, and they have players they don't like - and that they dont waste time dealing with or even actively get rid off. 

I think Nedum's point (and I may be off the mark as dipping in/out of it), was that nearly the whole set up did not like him, neither did the hierarchy.  His 'charm' to the fans/cameras was all an act.

Both Livramento and Bella-Kotchap highlighted in their signing interviews that they had had good conversations with the manager before signing, . Livramento, as we know, looked nailed on to go to Brighton at the time also. So, can't be that bad. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, Katalinic said:

Yet we haven’t been in serious relegation trouble the whole time he has been here.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

From what I ws told, with Ralph you're either in favour or put of favour and if you're out there isn't much in the way of communication to explain things. 

100% true. 

Know a bit about this one as well. Ralph amd Armstrong had a big bust up when Ralph tried to explain why others were playing ahead of him, to which Armstrong told him exactly how he felt. 

Armstrong not the first to fall out with Ralph. I know ings wasn’t too impressed with him when he left as well, and obviously Broja…

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Both Livramento and Bella-Kotchap highlighted in their signing interviews that they had had good conversations with the manager before signing, . Livramento, as we know, looked nailed on to go to Brighton at the time also. So, can't be that bad. 🤷‍♂️

Very different having a discussion with the manager before you’ve signed, to working day in day out.. especially when things get tough. 

It’s pretty common knowledge that when he was here, Rohl was effectively the main go to for the players and was the bridge between Ralph and the playing squad. 

Fell out with Rohl as well didn’t he…

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Very different having a discussion with the manager before you’ve signed, to working day in day out.. especially when things get tough. 

It’s pretty common knowledge that when he was here, Rohl was effectively the main go to for the players and was the bridge between Ralph and the playing squad. 

Fell out with Rohl as well didn’t he…

No, Rohl was a snidely little fucker and got caught out doing something he shouldn’t…

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

No, Rohl was a snidely little fucker and got caught out doing something he shouldn’t…

Fair enough! I knew there was something not right about the way he left. 

The rumour going round was that they had a fall out. I’m sure they did by the sounds of what you’ve said, but not on Ralph for this one. 

To be honest, I think it’s 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other with Ralph to be honest. He comes across as a decent bloke and one that cares for the club. I think he probably has an ego and is stubborn which, when coming into an environment where he has to deal with others who have massive egos, it ends in a clash. 

Ive said before, but one of the reasons he wouldn’t do well at a big club. 

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yeah, you’re going to need to elaborate…?

Put it this way, you’d be fired for doing what he did in any role. It’s not illegal but most companies would fire someone immediately, his exit was manufactured, hence the gap between him leaving and stating his new role. 

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Fair enough! I knew there was something not right about the way he left. 

The rumour going round was that they had a fall out. I’m sure they did by the sounds of what you’ve said, but not on Ralph for this one. 

To be honest, I think it’s 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other with Ralph to be honest. He comes across as a decent bloke and one that cares for the club. I think he probably has an ego and is stubborn which, when coming into an environment where he has to deal with others who have massive egos, it ends in a clash. 

Ive said before, but one of the reasons he wouldn’t do well at a big club. 

Ralph does seem to be my way or the highway. Him and Rohl didn’t fall out but he agreed with the decision for him to leave. Put it that way. 

the thing about him is though is if you’re smashing it out of the park as a manager you can get away with it, Fergie used to always fall out with players but no one was going to argue he was usually right. 

Good to see a number of people confirming what I had heard. Its not just the players being spoilt brats, Ralph needs to work on his man management skills. I was also told that we really messed up when we lost his assistant who used to do that role and then didn't replace him with someone similar. 

1 hour ago, Katalinic said:

Exactly and that would go some way to explain why we go through these long periods in ruts where we perform poorly. It's an attitude thing more than ability. 

All this talk about Ralph being awful man manager and alienating not only players but staff as well begs one very serious question??........why on earth have our new owners decided to back such and awful manager and person when they are have clearly shown they are happy to get rid other members of staff just like that. Ralph is just a member of staff not God and if our new owners thought for one minute he was the problem he would be gone and NOT  being supported the way he obviously is. Just saying!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

All this talk about Ralph being awful man manager and alienating not only players but staff as well begs one very serious question??........why on earth have our new owners decided to back such and awful manager and person when they are have clearly shown they are happy to get rid other members of staff just like that. Ralph is just a member of staff not God and if our new owners thought for one minute he was the problem he would be gone and NOT  being supported the way he obviously is. Just saying!

Perhaps they are devotees of the Branch Ralphillian cult. Call in the national guard I say.

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Put it this way, you’d be fired for doing what he did in any role. It’s not illegal but most companies would fire someone immediately, his exit was manufactured, hence the gap between him leaving and stating his new role. 

Did he go around the car park, American Vandal style, spray painting cocks and balls on the cars of all the board members?

13 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

I think he needs a top quality backroom team to support him in the areas he isn't so strong at. Hence the changes this summer. My personal opinion is that they've been persuaded that on balance he's worth persisting with with proper support but I don't think he will be around for long if we start the season poorly. 

I was told that…..

the easiest way to spread and feed an agenda is to post unsubstantiated rumours on social media. Best advice, when someone starts off a post with “I was told that” just assume that it has come from someone who is just shit stirring.

As for the manager, as has been said, if he is really that bad at many aspects of his job, how crap must the new owners be for not recognising that and shipping him out with the rest of the coaching team at the earliest opportunity?

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

Seems some posters don't understand. He has a weakness with man management and he needs support in that area but he's got a lot of good points as well. On balance the belief is that the positives outweigh the negatives. Its not a case of a manager showing some deficiencies so you just chuck him away. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I was told that…..

the easiest way to spread and feed an agenda is to post unsubstantiated rumours on social media. Best advice, when someone starts off a post with “I was told that” just assume that it has come from someone who is just shit stirring.

As for the manager, as has been said, if he is really that bad at many aspects of his job, how crap must the new owners be for not recognising that and shipping him out with the rest of the coaching team at the earliest opportunity?

Mine come first hand from one of the first team players (one who’s in favour), so yeah…. just shit stirring. 

Edited by Dman

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2022/jun/23/secret-man-management-football-redknapp-ferguson-mourinho-klopp-benitez

This article is worth a read: it talks about how Gerrard was motivated by Benitez's frostiness and Terry worked harder to recover from injury because Mourinho would ignore him. Other players need a different approach though

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2022/jun/23/secret-man-management-football-redknapp-ferguson-mourinho-klopp-benitez

This article is worth a read: it talks about how Gerrard was motivated by Benitez's frostiness and Terry worked harder to recover from injury because Mourinho would ignore him. Other players need a different approach though

The key of man management is knowing who to put your arm around and who to rocket up the arse. 

There is no one size fits all approach, it’s something the best generally get right. 

25 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I was told that…..

Just as well you can’t read them then as I’m on ignore…..

6 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I imagine Ralph's approach is 'do the pressing and fitness work like I ask, or you're nothing to me'. Hard discipline which has casualties

Probably this. When the team is getting results no one takes any notice of the moaners who can’t get in the side, as soon as results go bad it’s the reason it’s all gone wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Yeah, you’re going to need to elaborate…?

Why do that when you can pretend to have inside knowledge. Pretending to know something is a very easy way to get some much needed attention 

Edited by Restark19
  • Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest he could be sucking off the players in the showers and they would still be shit.

Could explain why we are good in the first half then come out looking knackered in the second half. Although Ralf must have an assistant for that, no-one could get round all 11 of them in a 15 minute break.

• Haha 2