Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

18 minutes ago, Appy said:

Like you a couple of posts up?

Key difference... I'm not a journalist, he is! There is no issue in a fan regurgitating news for the benefit of other fans on a forum. Is there is a module on journalism degree courses covering it? Cutting edge 'journalism' from Crook!

Edited by Matthew Le God

48 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Key difference... I'm not a journalist, he is! There is no issue in a fan regurgitating news for the benefit of other fans on a forum. Is there is a module on journalism degree courses covering it? Cutting edge 'journalism' from Crook!

Oh please don’t take it as me defending Crook

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

Wouldn't mind him going back to that cheerleader role he had before coaching. 

I’ve always thought him decidedly average and accident prone. His coaching just can’t be any good. 

That Rob guy on Twitter claiming the club have come out and denied our interest in Svanberg, then you scroll through the replies and he basically said “my mate at the club” 🤣

Loving the Twitter ITK’s, anything to grab a few more followers.

Think I need to start using the mute button. Amount of teenagers claiming they have friends of friends of friends. 🙄

Edited by FarehamSaintJames
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

That Rob guy on Twitter claiming the club have come out and denied our interest in Svanberg, then you scroll through the replies and he basically said “my mate at the club” 🤣

Loving the Twitter ITK’s, anything to grab a few more followers.

Think I need to start using the mute button. Amount of teenagers claiming they have friends of friends of friends. 🙄

Never mind the mute button mate, use the "delete account" button. Twitter is a cesspool, deeper than other social media cesspools but they're all the same and people would be much happier and much more relaxed if they didn't use them at all.

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, DT said:

Apparently we’ve set price of JWP at 75m which the Beeb (i think) called ‘astronomical’. It is not. Fair price in my book. Think he’ll go. 

Strange. I don't think the BBC have ever used that term before for any previous huge transfer fee. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Never mind the mute button mate, use the "delete account" button. Twitter is a cesspool, deeper than other social media cesspools but they're all the same and people would be much happier and much more relaxed if they didn't use them at all.

isn't this forum social media?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DT said:

Apparently we’ve set price of JWP at 75m which the Beeb (i think) called ‘astronomical’. It is not. Fair price in my book. Think he’ll go. 

I would be utterly shocked if anyone paid that much for JWP. He's good, a key player for us, but not that good. He's not getting into any of the top teams in this country. Arsenal and United? Maybe he'd get in those teams but there's not a chance either of them pay that money for him, there's much better value elsewhere. Newcastle the only team he'd definitely get into that could pay that money and there's no evidence to suggest that's a proper step up and nor any evidence to suggest they would spend that money on one player either. 

It's also a massive risk for him to leave with a World Cup coming up. People might think he needs a move to get in the squad but actually finding himself on the bench of a bigger club will stuff him up even more than playing in a poor Saints team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DT said:

Bartosz Bialkowski: "For several years, Ralph Hasenhuttl's assistant was Kelvin Davis, the legendary goalkeeper of this club. From what I heard, he is to work in the club in a new role from the new season." #saintsfc @dailyecho

The karaoke machine isn't going to operate itself.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

Paddle Tennis, a cross between squash and tennis, you know that game called Tennis what with it's worldwide appeal and all that. A game that is growing hugely, i play and it's great you should give it a go instead of trying to convience everyone how great womens football is on the internet 😉

Fancy a game of Padel? The world's fastest growing sport | ITV News - Bing video

Bit of a stretch to compare Saints girls with Tyro league level players to the world champions losing to Dallas U15s. I've already said some of the girls at futsal are techincally better but football isn't just about having skill otherwise the much lauded Ryan Smith would have been a world wide star. I'm genuinely glad you enjoy it, football is for all after all. It seems i'm not alone though in finding the overpromtion of such a minority sport with a very low standard of quality is somewhat nausiating. 

Nauseating for you and others, but not for many of us. Oddly I’m not trying to inconvenience anyone, just defending the position that it’s enjoyable if you accept it for what it is, and (IMHO) it’s great that it’s being promoted and gaining traction. But I’ll leave it there. All the best. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Didn’t someone on here, I can’t remember who, say that it was pretty much done and had already been to staplewood?

That was me. Second hand info which has been right before but maybe not this time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Relieved about this, never got a good feeling off this potential signing.

Me either, looked crap and not the type of player we need. 

let’s hope this is true and the links are wide of the mark. 

1 minute ago, davefizzy14 said:

Has your source said anymore on this potential move? 

Haven't seen him. He's the dad of a kid who played football with my son but I don't think they will be at the same club next season.

3 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

On the subject of "F5 refreshing" I'll throw in...

That taxi driver that sucked in MLT who recruited Strachan as DOF and Keegan as manager in advance. Turns out he's always been pretty easy to lead astray.

Oh and Wade Elliott, Steven Pressley, Tomasz Radzinski. Those were all 'Lite' versions of our historical transfer sagas that ended up being bollocks.

I remember in my teenage years being on the BBC 606 forum. I think the poster's username was 'RocketSwain' and he would pretend to be itk each transfer window and I was fully sold on believing him and thinking we were signing Matt Holland, Sam Sodje, Wade Elliott, Brian Stock and Sam Vokes every summer.

Elliott's now the favourite to take over at Cheltenham, so give it a few years and the cycle can recommence. 

23 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I remember in my teenage years being on the BBC 606 forum. I think the poster's username was 'RocketSwain' and he would pretend to be itk each transfer window and I was fully sold on believing him and thinking we were signing Matt Holland, Sam Sodje, Wade Elliott, Brian Stock and Sam Vokes every summer.

Elliott's now the favourite to take over at Cheltenham, so give it a few years and the cycle can recommence. 

Hah! Yeah I remember that guy! Think it was Rocket Swanney. Wonder if he is about on here?!

4 hours ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I reckon he'll do well in a different system. He was great under Hughes

I agree - indeed he was usually much better when he wasn't paired with an overrated full-back wannabe for his defensive partner...! Personally I wouldn't mind if Bednarek stayed and was paired with Bella-Kotchap until Salisu is able to develop a higher level of consistency and defensive focus, thus living up to the hype that some people seem to give him. The problem is that Bednarek and Salisu are not, at present, a great combination.

Nevertheless, until we have seen Bella-Kotchap there is a risk in getting rid of our most experienced centre back, whatever people think of him; and, Bella-Kotchap is right-footed like Bednarek, Stephens and Lyanco whereas Salisu is left-footed and is our only left-footed senior centre back....

...which brings me to a question... shouldn't we be looking to buy or loan another left-footed centre back?  Are we really going to put all of our trust in Salisu and assume that he won't get injured?

5 hours ago, DT said:

Will have to be a top 4 team imo. If he goes, then I'd like to see him go to city or Liverpool (urgh), but that's because i want him to go somewhere to win trophies and not just for money - if that makes sense. 

I'd rather he stays and somehow goes to the world Cup and does well. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

I agree - indeed he was usually much better when he wasn't paired with an overrated full-back wannabe for his defensive partner...! Personally I wouldn't mind if Bednarek stayed and was paired with Bella-Kotchap until Salisu is able to develop a higher level of consistency and defensive focus, thus living up to the hype that some people seem to give him. The problem is that Bednarek and Salisu are not, at present, a great combination.

Nevertheless, until we have seen Bella-Kotchap there is a risk in getting rid of our most experienced centre back, whatever people think of him; and, Bella-Kotchap is right-footed like Bednarek, Stephens and Lyanco whereas Salisu is left-footed and is our only left-footed senior centre back....

...which brings me to a question... shouldn't we be looking to buy or loan another left-footed centre back?  Are we really going to put all of our trust in Salisu and assume that he won't get injured?

Bizarre take, think Salisu ends up at left back out of necessity rather than any desire to play there 

8 hours ago, benali-shorts said:

£12m fee seemingly. Burnley in a terrible state.

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Surely not? Their delusional new owners wasted no time slagging saints off after they took over at Burnley. 

Pretty sure I recall from an episode of The Price of Football podcast a couple of months back that the terms of the loan that they pumped into Burnley (£90m?) made it repayable immediately if they got relegated.

If that's correct they could take years to get back again

9 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Isn't he a Saints fan? Which made him an easy link.

2 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Pretty sure I recall from an episode of The Price of Football podcast a couple of months back that the terms of the loan that they pumped into Burnley (£90m?) made it repayable immediately if they got relegated.

If that's correct they could take years to get back again

£64m loan with a “substantial sum” payable on relegation. On review they think the substantial sum may be as little as £25m. But still a lot to raise and cover wages of a prem squad. Basically the parachute payment covers the loan instead of the wages, for a club with little to no cash reserves. 

Edited by samcrocker
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

I would be utterly shocked if anyone paid that much for JWP. He's good, a key player for us, but not that good. He's not getting into any of the top teams in this country. Arsenal and United? Maybe he'd get in those teams but there's not a chance either of them pay that money for him, there's much better value elsewhere. Newcastle the only team he'd definitely get into that could pay that money and there's no evidence to suggest that's a proper step up and nor any evidence to suggest they would spend that money on one player either. 

It's also a massive risk for him to leave with a World Cup coming up. People might think he needs a move to get in the squad but actually finding himself on the bench of a bigger club will stuff him up even more than playing in a poor Saints team.

I think he's the sort of player that Pep or Klopp etc. would love because Ralph consistently mentions his game intelligence, being able to interpret the managers instructions on the pitch and carry them out, and those are detail managers, they work very hard on specific plays, where to be at the right time, what to do in transitions. Plus he works his bollocks off. 

I doubt we or many fans round the country would be excited about signing Milner but Klopp loves him and trusts him implicitly, despite asking him to do multiple different jobs. I think JWP would be similar.

I think that is easily a fair price for him, name me other midfielders in the world that have world class set pieces, great all round technique, can run all day, seemingly never gets injured and is able to play almost every game, works harder than anyone and is extremely tactically astute and smart on the pitch. The only reason IMO he's not at a top already is because he is 5' 8" and is relatively slow. 

• Like 6

JWP is a Milner type player. He will be consistent, he will stay fit, he can take instruction and learn. I noticed when he was playing against Italy the other week that there was a lot of whining on Twitter about him playing sideways or backwards. But he also played some cracking balls forwards and linked up play nicely. He is a very good player for us and would improve surrounded by the stars of City or Liverpool. 

He would also get way more opportunities on free kicks at a bigger club. 

All that being said, I think the price being touted should hopefully ward off any interest this summer.

26-man World Cup squads confirmed for Qatar, I'd think that does us a favour with JWP almost certain to get in that number, less chance of him "needing" a move to a bigger club to get in the squad.

6 minutes ago, igsey said:

26-man World Cup squads confirmed for Qatar, I'd think that does us a favour with JWP almost certain to get in that number, less chance of him "needing" a move to a bigger club to get in the squad.

You do realise that the talk of "ambition" and securing an England place is usually an excuse for seeking more £££.

Not saying this is the case for JWP, but if it is he might need to find another route to camouflage his desire to leave. He probably can't use the 'wife couldn't settle' routine is she too is a local.

2 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

Remember last summer when we were in for Martin Hinteregger? Just retired aged 28 after the discovery of his links to far right neo-Nazi people.

This makes it sounds worse than it is, especially since he was a ridiculously high scoring centre back.

He just organises an annual football tournament in his home town in austria every year and it currently takes place on some blokes property who in 1990 was in nationalist front, something the bloke himself was him being stupid in his youth.

Not to pick on you, I am just sick of click bait titles in the media.

Edited by Convict Colony

2 hours ago, tajjuk said:

I think he's the sort of player that Pep or Klopp etc. would love because Ralph consistently mentions his game intelligence, being able to interpret the managers instructions on the pitch and carry them out, and those are detail managers, they work very hard on specific plays, where to be at the right time, what to do in transitions. Plus he works his bollocks off. 

I doubt we or many fans round the country would be excited about signing Milner but Klopp loves him and trusts him implicitly, despite asking him to do multiple different jobs. I think JWP would be similar.

I think that is easily a fair price for him, name me other midfielders in the world that have world class set pieces, great all round technique, can run all day, seemingly never gets injured and is able to play almost every game, works harder than anyone and is extremely tactically astute and smart on the pitch. The only reason IMO he's not at a top already is because he is 5' 8" and is relatively slow. 

I’ve no doubt that if any top club or manager inherited JWP they would love him and use him accordingly. No doubt about that at all. I’ve also no doubt that none of them would sign him, especially not at that price. If his contract was running down and he wanted to leave then they might be able to find the value in signing him, but no chance now. Much better value players can be found for someone who isn’t going to improve their first 11. Phillips suits City better and is a different type of player anyway but you’ve also got Tielemans, Bellingham next season probably, Rice is younger and the same length of contract so there’s value in waiting for him and many others . 

Edited by Fabrice29

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

He just organises an annual football tournament in his home town in austria every year and it currently takes place on some blokes property who in 1990 was in nationalist front, something the bloke himself was him being stupid in his youth.

This is disengeuous. Sickl appears to have been a business partner of Hinteregger and was until last year a counciller for a far right populist party but go ahead and downplay it all as fAkE nEwS

Describing engaging in Neo-Nazism as 'being stupid' is incredible too. I'm sure most of us did dumb things as youngsters but nazism is a bit more than that. 

Edited by Restark19