Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

8 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We love a Celtic signing, but my guess is he’ll go somewhere like Palace or Everton.

Leeds, Liverpool and Villa seem to have been active recruiting in Scotland so they’re probably in the frame. 

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Not hard to be the fastest growing sport when starting from very low numbers. Paddle also claims to be the fastest growing sport in this country, but i dont get regular sky sports newsflashes about what Paddle players are up to this week. The fact of the matter is the standard of football is very low, as demonstrated by the female world champions being beaten by an U15 team and it's about as well supported as small league 2 clubs at the best of times. 

You seem to believe that just because dont want it rammed down their throat all the time people are against it. As i mentioned about we've got 3 girls in our U9s team, they love it and we love having them. 3 or 4 of the girls are some of the techincally best players in the group at my sons futsal sessions, you'd struggle to find anyone who has any issue with women playing football, what the issue is is that there is clear agenda to massively over promote it way beyond the interest level. THen if anyone dares to say anything about it then they get jumped up accused of being a dinosaur. That's what happens when people dont like hearing the truth

I suspect Paddle (whatever that is!) doesn’t have the universal appeal of football, so no shock it doesn’t get as much press exposure…. Or is the issue that women’s paddle gets too much attention, relative to men’s paddle? 😉

Yes of course a low base can result in faster ‘growth’, but that in itself shouldn’t detract that it IS fast growing, again, as evidenced by large gates at a number of clubs, and girl’s teams sprouting up. 

The US Women’s team losing to a professional boys academy team doesn’t hugely surprised me tbh. Well, maybe a little… It’s a dilemma many women and girls teams face - finding opposition that will test and/or help develop them. Not quite as big a contrast, but Saint’s own Girls RTC (Academy) have a similar issue. Technically they are streets ahead of most local boys teams, up to and including Tyro Div 1, so play in the boys JPL, where they match most teams for technical ability, fitness, tactics etc. but can lose out, particularly at U16 level, simply due to the relative strength and power of a 16 year old boy vs 16 year old girl (back to my point about them essentially being ‘different sports’ for that reason). 

I don’t think anyone is disputing that the quality of a lot of the women’s football can be ‘iffy’ at times either. Having watched Saints Women in the fifth tier, I can attest to that. But, at the upper levels, it’s decent enough, and enjoyable. The WSL is a comparatively high standard and continues to improve as some of the better players from Europe and America are attracted here. 

As for it being ‘rammed down (y)our throat’, with respect, I think that’s perception. No need to tune into The Women’s Football Show’ if you don’t fancy it, and women’s football headlines can be skipped past. 

• Like 2

This junior adamu one is interesting, more so after he liked ABK joining us the other day on instagram.

Reason its interesting is he doesnt follow us or ABK on instagram and he doesnt have the same agency according to transfermarkt, so he really has gone out of his way to go to like him joining us - also their forum reckon 10-15mil euro's gets it done.

Also just found this in an article from Feb - The 20-year old is one of the most sought-after young forwards in European football, having been seriously courted by Southampton and Monaco, and this goal would only have affected his stock positively.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/who-is-chukwubuike-adamu-the-nigerian-born-striker-who-scored-a-wonderful-goal/59pnep3

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

This junior adamu one is interesting, more so after he liked ABK joining us the other day on instagram.

Reason its interesting is he doesnt follow us or ABK on instagram and he doesnt have the same agency according to transfermarkt, so he really has gone out of his way to go to like him joining us - also their forum reckon 10-15mil euro's gets it done.

Also just found this in an article from Feb - The 20-year old is one of the most sought-after young forwards in European football, having been seriously courted by Southampton and Monaco, and this goal would only have affected his stock positively.

https://www.pulse.ng/sports/football/who-is-chukwubuike-adamu-the-nigerian-born-striker-who-scored-a-wonderful-goal/59pnep3

Remember we bought Elyounoussi after a MOM display v Man City.

I thought these players used an agency for social media stuff? Or is that only an easy blame when they say something twattish? 

8 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

I suspect Paddle (whatever that is!) doesn’t have the universal appeal of football, so no shock it doesn’t get as much press exposure…. Or is the issue that women’s paddle gets too much attention, relative to men’s paddle? 😉

Yes of course a low base can result in faster ‘growth’, but that in itself shouldn’t detract that it IS fast growing, again, as evidenced by large gates at a number of clubs, and girl’s teams sprouting up. 

The US Women’s team losing to a professional boys academy team doesn’t hugely surprised me tbh. Well, maybe a little… It’s a dilemma many women and girls teams face - finding opposition that will test and/or help develop them. Not quite as big a contrast, but Saint’s own Girls RTC (Academy) have a similar issue. Technically they are streets ahead of most local boys teams, up to and including Tyro Div 1, so play in the boys JPL, where they match most teams for technical ability, fitness, tactics etc. but can lose out, particularly at U16 level, simply due to the relative strength and power of a 16 year old boy vs 16 year old girl (back to my point about them essentially being ‘different sports’ for that reason). 

I don’t think anyone is disputing that the quality of a lot of the women’s football can be ‘iffy’ at times either. Having watched Saints Women in the fifth tier, I can attest to that. But, at the upper levels, it’s decent enough, and enjoyable. The WSL is a comparatively high standard and continues to improve as some of the better players from Europe and America are attracted here. 

As for it being ‘rammed down (y)our throat’, with respect, I think that’s perception. No need to tune into The Women’s Football Show’ if you don’t fancy it, and women’s football headlines can be skipped past. 

Paddle Tennis, a cross between squash and tennis, you know that game called Tennis what with it's worldwide appeal and all that. A game that is growing hugely, i play and it's great you should give it a go instead of trying to convience everyone how great womens football is on the internet 😉

Fancy a game of Padel? The world's fastest growing sport | ITV News - Bing video

Bit of a stretch to compare Saints girls with Tyro league level players to the world champions losing to Dallas U15s. I've already said some of the girls at futsal are techincally better but football isn't just about having skill otherwise the much lauded Ryan Smith would have been a world wide star. I'm genuinely glad you enjoy it, football is for all after all. It seems i'm not alone though in finding the overpromtion of such a minority sport with a very low standard of quality is somewhat nausiating. 

• Like 1

Imagine we buy Adamu and get Tete on a free and they play as inside forwards and swap wings and then we also buy a striker.

We then also get Svanberg as backup/replacment for Romeu with Diallo covering JWP.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

Not really seen enough of Adamu outside the usual YouTube clips, plus the speculation seems to include a lot of wishful thinking, but he doesn't look that great.  Got 7 in 30 games last season (including pens) but RB Salzburg won the league at a canter with a goal difference of +58 so I would have expected more from an out and out striker in a team that pissed all over the rest of the league.  Granted he's only 21 but Mane had a much better record at a similar age (16 in 26 in his first season and he was playing out wide).   

As I say, really don't know that much about him but, on the face of it, would be quite a gamble to think he would be relatively prolific (at least initially) for us.

9 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

A new link 

And on Ansel Moreau's 17th Ever tweet.

His first ever tweet was at 7.38 today and look at the bottom left of his profile picture

Visual search query image

• Haha 2

It is also interesting that he is looking for more first team opportunities. According to Transfermarkt he started 12 games for Arsenal last season, playing the full 90 in 9 of them. He came on as a sub in a further 7, and was an unused sub in 18, so he was an integral member of their first team squad last season with a decent number of PL minutes.

If it is true that Saints have approached them for a loan deal, you'd think that we would have to be suggesting to them that he would be a regular starter to convince them that he would get more playing time, unless he has fallen down the pecking order there with the signing of Viera (don't know enough about either player to know if they'd be in direct competition).

Imagine we buy Adamu and get Tete on a free and they play as inside forwards and swap wings and then we also buy a striker.

We then also get Svanberg as backup/replacment for Romeu with Diallo covering JWP.

First part seems pretty optimistic to buy three attacking players at the level required, although Adamu is unproven but still £10mplus it seems.

Second part - Svanberg, from the clips seen and the Swedish fans comments doesn't seem a Romeu type DM to break up the opposition etc. Diallo ? Haven't we seen enough of him to realise he's a pretty tame stand in for JWP.

2022 Summer Transfers

Arsenal - 3 - £37.85m - Turner (£4.85m), Marquinhos (£3m), Vieira (£30m)
Aston Villa - 4 - £45.8m - Coutinho (£17m), Kamara (free), Carlos (£26m), Olsen (£2.8m)
Bournemouth - 0 - £0 

Brentford - 0 - £0 - 

Brighton - 0 - £0 - 
Chelsea - 0 - £0 - 
Crystal Palace - 0 - £0 - 
Everton - 0 - £0 
Fulham - 0 - £0 

Leeds - 3 - £42.2m - Aaronson (£22.2m), Kristensen (£10m), Roca (£10m)
Leicester - 0 - £0 - 
Liverpool - 3 - £73.5m - Carvalho (£5m), Nunez (£64.3m), Ramsey (£4.2m)
Man City - 1 - £51.1m - Haaland (£51.1m)
Man Utd - 0 - £0 
Newcastle - 1 - £12m - Targett (£12m)

Nottingham Forest - 0 - £0 

Southampton - 3 - £20.2m - Bazunu (£12m), Lis (free), Bella-Kotchap (£8.2m)
Tottenham - 3 - £25m -  Perisic (free), Forster (free), Bissouma (£25m)

West Ham - 1 - £30m - Aguerd (£30m)
Wolves - 0 - £0 

Total Signings: 22
Total Spend: £337,650,000

Transfer Window SLAMS Shut: 11pm, 1 September

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Not really seen enough of Adamu outside the usual YouTube clips, plus the speculation seems to include a lot of wishful thinking, but he doesn't look that great.  Got 7 in 30 games last season (including pens) but RB Salzburg won the league at a canter with a goal difference of +58 so I would have expected more from an out and out striker in a team that pissed all over the rest of the league.  Granted he's only 21 but Mane had a much better record at a similar age (16 in 26 in his first season and he was playing out wide).   

As I say, really don't know that much about him but, on the face of it, would be quite a gamble to think he would be relatively prolific (at least initially) for us.

Agree. Nothing really stood out on the youtube clips of him. Another speculative gamble on an inexperienced player if it happens.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Not sure how realistic this rumour is but he looks very good on skills videos. A real mix of goals including some nice headers and a good team player rather than a greedy barsteward. Looks a bit iffy on pens though 🙂

3 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

What is the latest update with ref to Tete ??????

Saw Something a few weeks ago saying he wanted too much money but then other sources said he was joining in the summer so 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah I did think that but he only started like 12 times I think

7 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Yeah I did think that but he only started like 12 times I think

Nah, think he started 20 out of the thirty, was subbed off in 16 of them and came on as a sub for the other 10 appearances.  As I said, could be a good player but hasn't got a record that's fantastic even taking into account his age and didn't appear to be anything special in the YouTube clips - quick enough but not blindingly quick, bit of skill but not so much that really stands out.  Did look decent enough at playing with his back to goal and turning to beat anyone marking him closely though.

25 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Nah, think he started 20 out of the thirty, was subbed off in 16 of them and came on as a sub for the other 10 appearances.  As I said, could be a good player but hasn't got a record that's fantastic even taking into account his age and didn't appear to be anything special in the YouTube clips - quick enough but not blindingly quick, bit of skill but not so much that really stands out.  Did look decent enough at playing with his back to goal and turning to beat anyone marking him closely though.

Tells it's own story.

But who knows maybe we've seen something to develop. Huge risk though if we're relying on him for goals next season.

If we're in discussion with RB Salzburg, then Sesko (who someone flagged up on here a few days ago) looks a better prospect, but still young and inexperienced. 

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Boo!

Hardly surprising though is it? They represent a bigger club/stage/exposure for him, and lyon is a great city with good connections internationally. 

Edited by Saint86