Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

Good to see we have some pull once again and looks like we beat Leeds to the signing of Lavia. As I said earlier in the week, I'm all for the Colwill signing. Southampton lad, impressed in the Championship at Huddersfield last season, isn't the finished article and will make mistakes at this level, but the starting blocks are impressive. Guehi and Tomori both left Chelsea last summer and have come on leaps and bounds.

If we lose Tyler Dibling, it's a shame, but it's a move for the money and £6k-a-week is a senior first 11 League One players wage. We also now seem to be targeting some of the best youth prospects in the country, who are more career focussed, than money, otherwise they wouldn't leave Man City or Chelsea for us and we could find better than Dibling in the coming windows. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WinchesterSaint said:

It’s definitely Tyler Dibling, had it confirmed from a reliable source earlier.

It would purely be a money based decision if he chose to leave. Newcastle has hardly been a blueprint for bringing through youth players in recent years. Their u18s finished rock bottom of the North section, compared with our u18s winning theirs. Also given their spending power now, any pathway to the first team would be alot more difficult than here

38 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Good to see we have some pull once again and looks like we beat Leeds to the signing of Lavia. As I said earlier in the week, I'm all for the Colwill signing. Southampton lad, impressed in the Championship at Huddersfield last season, isn't the finished article and will make mistakes at this level, but the starting blocks are impressive. Guehi and Tomori both left Chelsea last summer and have come on leaps and bounds.

If we lose Tyler Dibling, it's a shame, but it's a move for the money and £6k-a-week is a senior first 11 League One players wage. We also now seem to be targeting some of the best youth prospects in the country, who are more career focussed, than money, otherwise they wouldn't leave Man City or Chelsea for us and we could find better than Dibling in the coming windows. 

The other spin on it is that a lot of the young players 11-18 seem to want the experience of being at the big clubs and believe they'll get the best development there (plus the money helps), but when they start getting to 19/20 or so they realise that they need first team football so we come into the picture. It's a shame that we have to pay £10m or so for the privilege of bringing them over but that's the lay of the land.

Dibling going to Newcastle does seem purely money motivated and is outside of that pattern

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I have no problem with signing these young players for £10-15 million (or less in Tino’s case) but I really think we need a couple of players with sound Premier League experience. Or are we sticking with the old guard of Redmond, Long, Stephens etc to provide that? God help us if we are.

I think a lot of people who have mentioned experience, equate it with either age or number of PL appearances !

For me, what we need (particularly in central defence) is 'character' - a big personality who can muster the troops, instil a 'siege mentality' and bring the young lads along with him, even when the chips are down !

Wes Morgan was never the greatest footballer but he captained Leicester to an extraordinary PL title and played a huge part in their success !

I don't know enough to suggest names at this stage but am pretty sure that there is someone out there who could fulfil this role for us and hopefully the powers that be consider this a priority also !!

On Dibling, seems a very odd move for him (other than money of course). Surely makes his chance of progressing into first team football much harder than it would have been here, when they can go and splurge £50m at the drop of a hat on a proven international.

Also, could be wrong but seem to recall someone mention at the time of his hat trick that top clubs have been tapping him up for ages but his parents were grounded folk and keen for him to develop here as better first team prospects. Obviously something has changed 

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Plus ralph has a specific request to work with younger players so not sure that this experience angle aligns with his philosophy

I'm generally a bit skeptical about that sort of statement from Ralph. When tight resources gave us a small squad, he wanted a small squad. Yet when injuries hit and the depth was poor, it was a larger one. When the club's plan is to nab players about to break through from top academies, he wants to focus on youth players. I'm sure if the club's plan brought in Modric, Ronaldo, Messi and Lewandowski, he'd not find it against his footballing principles. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

On Dibling, seems a very odd move for him (other than money of course). Surely makes his chance of progressing into first team football much harder than it would have been here, when they can go and splurge £50m at the drop of a hat on a proven international.

Also, could be wrong but seem to recall someone mention at the time of his hat trick that top clubs have been tapping him up for ages but his parents were grounded folk and keen for him to develop here as better first team prospects. Obviously something has changed 

Probably $$$$. Even the big clubs aren't daft enough to offer mega sums to kids, I'd imagine Newcastle were prepared to go financially where no one else was. 

It is a strange one though. We're signing some of the best young players from other academies as we have a clear pathway, so it seems odd for one of our own best young players see a pathway elsewhere. I also can't see where that pathway is at Newcastle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Probably $$$$. Even the big clubs aren't daft enough to offer mega sums to kids, I'd imagine Newcastle were prepared to go financially where no one else was. 

It is a strange one though. We're signing some of the best young players from other academies as we have a clear pathway, so it seems odd for one of our own best young players see a pathway elsewhere. I also can't see where that pathway is at Newcastle.

He's probably at least a couple of years away from when he'll be ready for first team football. In the meantime, if rumours are to be believed, he'll be earning £338,000 a year at a very young age. Hard to turn that down and, if he's good enough, he knows his chance will come whether at Newcastle or another top club. No brainer really. 

Life-changing money at 16 and a move to a club that will no doubt be investing heavily in academy infrastructure over the next few years. Run the contract down until he's 19/20 then start again if he's still in demand. Sounds like he's being well-advised to me.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

He’s 16 isn’t he ? Realistically he won’t make either first team until he is 20 unless he is very very exceptional

A 3 or 4 year deal on those wages is impossible to turn down really and one we can’t match… a big shame but we cannot match it and I assume will get a tribunal fee ? I believe thats how it works ?

6 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

Life-changing money at 16 and a move to a club that will no doubt be investing heavily in academy infrastructure over the next few years. Run the contract down until he's 19/20 then start again if he's still in demand. Sounds like he's being well-advised to me.

Hard to hold it against him if it is a £££ based move.

He could sit at his boyhood club, train hard for the next few years and perhaps make the first team squad from time to time; or do the same at Newcastle and earn loads more.

Maybe he'd get more first team chances here, but no guarantees. Plenty of young, promising players never kick on from the age of 16: we've had a few 'stalled wonderkids' ourselves recently.

Put a large slice of it in the bank son!

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

He’s 16 isn’t he ? Realistically he won’t make either first team until he is 20 unless he is very very exceptional

A 3 or 4 year deal on those wages is impossible to turn down really and one we can’t match… a big shame but we cannot match it and I assume will get a tribunal fee ? I believe thats how it works ?

I suspect they're investing in players for their Premier League championship retaining team of four years' time. Horrible dirty money. Yuk

• Like 1

Personally Im very happy with the start we’ve made, signing some very highly rated young players

I do agree experience for experience sake isn’t the answer, you certainly need the ability to go with it… what we do need and have lacked is leadership though… many of us have said this since Fonte/VVD has left… I think a couple of good forward signings and some real on pitch leadership and we’re well on the way towards the best TW since the Koeman years and perhaps even better

My ONLY concern is around the buy back clauses, I appreciate they may have been necessary to acquire some of these talents I just hope that they are favourable… the ex buying back and selling on doesn’t even worry me too much so long as they don’t look too cheap in a couple of years

Just now, The Cat said:

It is Dibling.

Newcastle have offered him a stupid amount of money and now he has a decision to make.

Do you know anymore mate. This lad is a  phenomenal talent and he is a boyhood fan so hopefully he sees the pathway and stays.

Just now, davefizzy14 said:

Do you know anymore mate. This lad is a  phenomenal talent and he is a boyhood fan so hopefully he sees the pathway and stays.

He grew up in the West Country so not sure about boyhood fan?

I guess that's what him and his family have to think through.

Will he ever get in the first team for a side who will spend millions on players, or is he happy with the money because it will mean he can turn up to training in a Porsche the day after he passes his driving test?

12 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Will he ever get in the first team for a side who will spend millions on players, or is he happy with the money because it will mean he can turn up to training in a Porsche the day after he passes his driving test?

He's not going to play for either side's first team much before he turns 19/20, so it's actually a question of whether he finishes his youth career with a million quid in the bank or not. Moving on from a rich academy to first team football elsewhere when you turn 20 is an increasingly well-worn path that we've been keen to take advantage of ourselves.

Edited by verlaine1979
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

He's not going to play for either side's first team much before he turns 19/20, so it's actually a question of whether he finishes his youth career with a million quid in the bank or not. Moving on from a rich academy to first team football elsewhere when you turn 20 is an increasingly well-worn path that we've been keen to take advantage of ourselves.

He's made our matchday squad already and we do put a lot of youngsters on the pitch so on balance you'd have to say it's much more likely he'd play for us, even this season, than Newcastle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Yeah i can understand it, money now and a good chance(with the current climate) that someone will pay big money for you if you don't make the immediate breakthrough at the big club. Very depressing though like so much about Premier league.

4 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

I think they are leaving the big boys because there are very little chances of playing football there unless they are established well known internationals that come with a hefty price tag and altered egos..............plus surely they want to play football?

There is zero chance that with the money and ambition Newcastle have that they will have anything of a pathway to the first team for kids.  They will buy buy buy during this first decade of being rich and kids will only go there for the money and then have to pick up the pieces when they hit 20.  That is not a criticism of anyone who chooses to do so, as football is a short career with no guarantees and money talks but there isn't a single club in history that wins the lottery and then implements a short to medium term strategy of having a pathway to the first team for kids.  It's just not what happens.

• Like 2

The kid only turned 16 back in March. Given a three year contract he'll not even be 20 by the time it runs out (or even 19 by the time there's only a year left and they have to sell him or lose him for nothing). Sitting on the bench once or twice a year at Saints isn't a meaningful development opportunity.

5 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

It would purely be a money based decision if he chose to leave. Newcastle has hardly been a blueprint for bringing through youth players in recent years. Their u18s finished rock bottom of the North section, compared with our u18s winning theirs. Also given their spending power now, any pathway to the first team would be alot more difficult than here

Taking their position as an indicator of their youth setup, would joining them give him financial benefit, but at a possible cost of as much development? Or does he see even his short term future at another age group combined with senior squad level?

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

He could be absolutely garbage but he'd still be getting around £1.3m over a presumed 4 year contract regardless of how his career goes. 

It's a tough one because there is certainly more of a pathway into the team here but I can see why he'd do it.

I expect they're all excited to get their hands on the money sooner rather than play the long game but he surely ought to have some faith in himself, stay grounded and wait for the rewards to come

15 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I expect they're all excited to get their hands on the money sooner rather than play the long game but he surely ought to have some faith in himself, stay grounded and wait for the rewards to come

Trouble is there’s so many 16 year old kids who never make it. Just take a look at Saints examples - Seagar, Hesketh etc. He’s guaranteeing himself over £1 mil whilst still training in a premier league academy so it’s less of a risk.

Sure there might not be a direct route into the first team, but 3 years down the line he’s still only 19 and can leave to pursue first team football if he’s good enough and he’ll still have his whole career ahead of him, just with a mil in the bank. Won’t hold it against him if he was to go

• Like 2

5 hours ago, warwicksaint said:

Trouble is there’s so many 16 year old kids who never make it. Just take a look at Saints examples - Seagar, Hesketh etc. He’s guaranteeing himself over £1 mil whilst still training in a premier league academy so it’s less of a risk.

Sure there might not be a direct route into the first team, but 3 years down the line he’s still only 19 and can leave to pursue first team football if he’s good enough and he’ll still have his whole career ahead of him, just with a mil in the bank. Won’t hold it against him if he was to go

Yeah, the issue is he could set himself up for life by the time he's 20 really. Get that million quid and get some smart people around him, invest it in stocks or property, or even just let it accrue interest and earn circa £20,000 a year just from it sitting there. 

He can do whatever he wants to further his career from that point forward.

5 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

He could be absolutely garbage but he'd still be getting around £1.3m over a presumed 4 year contract regardless of how his career goes. 

It's a tough one because there is certainly more of a pathway into the team here but I can see why he'd do it.

If he’s that good then we have the option to match their offer to Tyler and persuade him to stay don’t we?  You can’t blame the kid or his family for looking after his future financially at such a young age. Football is a tough competitive business that will drop him like a stone if he’s deemed not good enough. Good luck Tyler!

19 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Shame to seemingly have a genuine prospect out of the academy for the first time in a while and he immediately gets poached by the sports washing club who can't be bothered to invest in their own academy. 

Technically they are investing in their academy by signing him aren’t they?

Good luck to the lad.  There is no loyalty in football.  He owes us nothing and is taking advantage of a great offer.  We would all do the same.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yeah, the issue is he could set himself up for life by the time he's 20 really. Get that million quid and get some smart people around him, invest it in stocks or property, or even just let it accrue interest and earn circa £20,000 a year just from it sitting there. 

He can do whatever he wants to further his career from that point forward.

After tax he will earn less than £200k per year, take off his living expenses and invest say £150k which today for a best rate cash deposit would give you just over 6k in the 3 year period !

Of course he could invest in different ways but the stock market is extremely volatile and property is already at a high level !

IMO this is not 'life changing' !

Best he stays with us but he probably won't 😔

30 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

They needed to sell a player by 30 June to avoid any FFP sanctions.

Think they could be in trouble next season. They stayed up but their squad is in a worse state than ours, and their strategy seems to be going for overrated players on big wages

All other youth players who didn't get invited to train with first team yesterday are back today.

Will be interesting to see if anyone else apart from Tyler Dibling doesn't turn up and what the chat is around Staplewood.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Spurs becoming even more detestable with that signing.

Trouble is though that Kane, Son, and Richarlison always seem to score against us, so the opening day for our team of youngsters becomes a more daunting task.

18 minutes ago, Badger said:

Spurs becoming even more detestable with that signing.

Trouble is though that Kane, Son, and Richarlison always seem to score against us, so the opening day for our team of youngsters becomes a more daunting task.

They are looking strong and I think they're going places with Conte who is an excellent manager. The arse have made some strong signings too

13 hours ago, The Cat said:

If I were him I'd take the money and run.

I'm not sure how long he's been at Saints but there's a good chance he will have known other promising kids who then got career-ending/changing injuries - look at Hesketh at Eastleigh.

11 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

They are looking strong and I think they're going places with Conte who is an excellent manager. The arse have made some strong signings too

Unfortunately I have to agree with you. The gap between the 'big 6' and the rest continues to widen. 

As time goes on the prospect of them fucking off to play in their European or inter galactic league is more appealing. 

• Like 2