Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

On 02/07/2022 at 14:34, Streaky said:

Watched him a few times in serie a last season always looked impressive bombing forward but a little suspect the other way.

Not the biggest either. Scotland have a lot of decent left backs these days.

.sounds like the story of our wing  backs.  Everyone gets excited when they bomb forward, but thinks they're sh*t when they have to get back and defend.

37 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Some one for the love of god please tell me where to search this forum as I was also on about openda months ago and i cant remember if it was cos we were linked or like @Saint86 he looks quality and defo wants to leave brugge.

Hah! I think I remember someone else going on about him a few months ago as well, guessing that was you then Convict?

I haven't seen us linked with him. But we must be aware - he played along side broja the season before (he's been on a 2 year loan to vitesse) and we surely scouted broja before the loan. 

I am hoping this is one of the deals that "hasn't been in the media" because I think he could end up being class - and we also can't really lose for what he'd cost. But he is surely leaving brugge this summer (like as not), and was linked to European teams including bologna etc. And that's all gone a bit quiet. 

It looks like we're going for delap instead - which feels like a bit of a game as he'll probably cost as much, doesn't have anywhere near the same record / experience, and has had a few injury issues lately (which is always worrying in younger players). 

Edited by Saint86

On 02/07/2022 at 14:45, Paul Chuckle said:

I definitely recall booing for him was more so during the relegation and first championship season.

He was our marquee signing when we moved to St Mary's, and I like many were totally underwhelmed especially when Bierhoff was being rumoured. 

Remember Stuart Gray playing him at RB (Dodd must have been injured and Paul Murray not up to it) and he looked totally lost, got sent off at St Mary's whilst playing there. 

Met Rory Delaps dad in the pub at Blackburn away and he said his sons biggest downfall was he was happy to get a game, even if it meant playing out of position. 

Wasn't quite as bad as a lot of people might claim, but was always ready to play wherever the manager needed him, and actually turned out in six different

shirt numbers during his first season.  Essentially a left-sided defender, he wasn't afraid of getting " stuck-in " and picked up a goodly number of cards along the way. 

Our biggest mistake was never utilising his long-throw talents properly.  After he left, he eventually joined up with James Beattie at Stoke, who revelled in his CF role

and it became a nightmare for defenders when Delap's enormous throws were just as effective as any sort of centre / or / cross into the box. 

1 hour ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Flynn Downes set for Crystal Palace move as Swansea City close in on Joe Allen - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62024199

Looks like we might be missing out on Flynn Downes who we were linked with recently.

Similar profile to Lavia. I don't think we will sign another CM assuming we do get him.

If we are interested in Aribo it must be as a #10.

21 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Similar profile to Lavia. I don't think we will sign another CM assuming we do get him.

I’d agree with both of these.  Aribo sounds pretty versatile.

I wonder the the jurisdiction lies re: targets between Glover & Shields when the change is so relatively close

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

Not sure Downes is a similar profile to Lavia from the clips seen. Downes looks a neat and tidy passer of the ball - especially in a match against us when we were down to 10 men - but no real footage of tackles etc. In summary I thought he looked a ‘JWP lite’ version (without the free kicks!).

Lavia looks more robust and appears to offer a bit more in the DM role in challenges and tackles.

Just a view and perception of course. Could be totally wrong, after all we know how YouTube made De Ridder a six minute world beater.

Southampton have now reached full agreement with Man City to sign Romeo Lavia on a permanent deal. Fee will be around £10m, clubs in contact to finalise the deal. 🚨🇧🇪 #SaintsFC

Manchester City will include a buy back clause for Romeo Lavia, who’s considered a top talent. #MCFC

• Like 1

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Southampton have now reached full agreement with Man City to sign Romeo Lavia on a permanent deal. Fee will be around £10m, clubs in contact to finalise the deal. 🚨🇧🇪 #SaintsFC

Manchester City will include a buy back clause for Romeo Lavia, who’s considered a top talent. #MCFC

Yep deal is done ! Excellent signing ! 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not sure Downes is a similar profile to Lavia from the clips seen. Downes looks a neat and tidy passer of the ball - especially in a match against us when we were down to 10 men - but no real footage of tackles etc. In summary I thought he looked a ‘JWP lite’ version (without the free kicks!).

Lavia looks more robust and appears to offer a bit more in the DM role in challenges and tackles.

Just a view and perception of course. Could be totally wrong, after all we know how YouTube made De Ridder a six minute world beater.

Both are more defensive midfielders, than attacking. Downes played 4 matches at centre-back for Swansea last season, according to Transfermarkt. From clips Lavia looks to be the more physical, Romeu/Wanyama type, while Downes looks to be the more technical JWP/Schneiderlin type. Who knows how interested we actually were in Downes, as unlike with Lavia there hasn't been any notable reported movements from us made towards him, just our name alongside many other Premier League clubs linked and now he's going to Palace shortly after, so could be that it was simply a use of the media to speed that deal up so that Swansea could then bring in Allen, or if it was a case of it being between Lavia or Downes for us. 🤷‍♂️

On 02/07/2022 at 15:44, Restark19 said:

Generally seems to come from the older members of the fan base in my experience. Probably the same ones who moan about video games, signing foreign players and women's football on here

It absolutely is the older members. Whatever the club, Ralph, the players etc do, it's never good enough.

One of the regular posters on this Facebook group I'm on claims that the collapse of our season was because the manager changed the team around for the West Ham cup game and it unsettled the team despite winning that game.

He even claims that if he'd kept the same team and we'd lost it would have been better than changing it and winning as we did.

My favourites are the ones that moan about Ralph playing teams out of position whilst all the while insisting Tino or KWP be moved up the pitch to winger.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

So if lavia is done it's only really attacking midfield and strikers that we really need. Anything else is a nice bonus. 

The word “only” being huge here. Happy with the signings so far but we have to get attacking midfield and especially a couple of strikers just right.

I really can’t cope with another season of watching Redmond tit around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

So if lavia is done it's only really attacking midfield and strikers that we really need. Anything else is a nice bonus. 

We definitely need another full back I think.

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'd take a full back but yep we've definitely added to the defensive spine.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Lavia £14m

Bazanu £15m

Bella-Kotchap £10m

1st time Southampton have spent that kind of money in the summer transfer window without selling a player first.

Sports Republic really bringing in a new era!

We kind of knew that was going to happen even if the club wasn t going to shout throught the rafters about.

we clearly have a bit of dosh 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Sky using £14m price for Lavia...

That seems like a massive fee for someone who hasn't played any first team football in their career? 

Hopefully he can get plenty of game time pre-season, those who are excited about him what's that based on? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, JRM said:

That seems like a massive fee for someone who hasn't played any first team football in their career?

Exactly what I was thinking, I find it a bit distasteful that a lad with zero league appearances costs nearly fifteen million pounds.

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Hopefully he can get plenty of game time pre-season, those who are excited about him what's that based on? 

The higher the transfer fee then hopefully the higher the buy back. If this guy is as good as City fans say he is, I hope the buy back fee is £50 million +. That way we get paid for "developing" him (playing him regularly in the Prem) and they buy back a more complete player. I like these deals, better than a loan and it means the player has to be a success with us to get back to the clubs they left.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

The higher the transfer fee then hopefully the higher the buy back. If this guy is as good as City fans say he is, I hope the buy back fee is £50 million +. That way we get paid for "developing" him (playing him regularly in the Prem) and they buy back a more complete player. I like these deals, better than a loan and it means the player has to be a success with us to get back to the clubs they left.

Isn’t £50m the buy back for Tino? 

19 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

We kind of knew that was going to happen even if the club wasn t going to shout throught the rafters about.

we clearly have a bit of dosh 

A lot of Saints fans were saying otherwise though. You don't have to scroll back to far to see it either.

When SR came in there was a quote about us having "more flexibility" in the market, the last week is obviously a sign of that. No longer do we have to sell before we buy.

We won't be spunking £40 million on anyone but we can get these £10-£15 million ones done straight away now.

Realistically this kind of business makes perfect sense. I'm looking forward to seeing a young, more dynamic team next season. Yes they will make mistakes at times but we should be in for some exciting games.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

That’s probably at least four more that’s though, with attacking players generally costing more.

12 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Isn’t £50m the buy back for Tino? 

It was quoted at the time he signed as different depending what source you read... between 25 and 40 million. But I remember Twitter reports at the time saying it could be higher. I don't think it was ever truly reported. £25 million seems a bit light so I'd guess £40 million is more accurate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Cat said:

A lot of Saints fans were saying otherwise though. You don't have to scroll back to far to see it either.

When SR came in there was a quote about us having "more flexibility" in the market, the last week is obviously a sign of that. No longer do we have to sell before we buy.

We won't be spunking £40 million on anyone but we can get these £10-£15 million ones done straight away now.

Realistically this kind of business makes perfect sense. I'm looking forward to seeing a young, more dynamic team next season. Yes they will make mistakes at times but we should be in for some exciting games.

If SR had advertised they were investing heavily we'd be paying Newcastle tax. I like their way of doing business.

Looks like Saints are trying to position themselves as the RB Leipzig of English football. Offer a stepping stone to the top academy players from the elite clubs and a Premier League platform for those players for 2 or 3 years before happily selling them on. A big risk of course as our team is going to be very young and probably inconsistent, but has potentially a big upside if it does go well.

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

It was quoted at the time he signed as different depending what source you read... between 25 and 40 million. But I remember Twitter reports at the time saying it could be higher. I don't think it was ever truly reported. £25 million seems a bit light so I'd guess £40 million is more accurate. 

The Tino buy back is between £35-45m by all accounts. Given his ACL, I think it's unlikely Chelsea will risk it now. 

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Looks like Saints are trying to position themselves as the RB Leipzig of English football. Offer a stepping stone to the top academy players from the elite clubs and a Premier League platform for those players for 2 or 3 years before happily selling them on. A big risk of course as our team is going to be very young and probably inconsistent, but has potentially a big upside if it does go well.

All I heard there, is that we need our own "yellow wall", and we'll basically be the English Dortmund 😄🤘

Edited by Saint86

13 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

The Tino buy back is between £35-45m by all accounts. Given his ACL, I think it's unlikely Chelsea will risk it now. 

The Guardian had it at £25 million but it doesn't sound enough. But yeah unless Tino comes back flying, I doubt Chelsea would risk it anytime soon.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Well done Einstein, they've only been telling you this since the start of last season. Keep your tweets to Twitter, you don't need to tell us this. 

• Haha 8

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Telegraph said £40m+

That sounds more like it. Not that a player with an ACL in his injury history is likely to be worth that anytime soon. I really hope he comes back and does what he does best. Thank God we have KWP too though. 

I think the Tino buy back clause gets complicated by the fact that there's also a sell on percentage owed to Chelsea.  So what happens is that Chelsea have a buy back of, say 50M, but they're also owed 20% of the profit which in this case would be 9M.  So although technically they've bought the player for 50M they actually only ended up paying 41M.  I don't know the exact numbers so those above are just an example.

1 minute ago, EBS1980 said:

What if SR knew when buying us the team needed an overhaul and given the price they paid they factored in say £50M to kick start their approach to how they wanted the club to operate? 

It makes a lot of sense. All of these players are investments so should pay for themselves in the long run. But we need to spend up front to get the conveyor belt going

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer