Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 hour ago, Diabolus Ex Machina said:

Forster was our best keeper the past 2 seasons, Bednarek for all his faults does have 130 Prem Games

Which is basically my point; for a sustained period we’ve been painfully reliant on some thoroughly mediocre players.

• Like 1

Doesn't Pearce want to go out on loan this season so with Olaigbe, Nlundulu, (both loan), Mitchell and Smith (both released) gone that only really leaves Ballard as a Striker for the B team who was in the mix last year. I'm sure JJ Morgan and a few others will get minutes too but we will need cover for sure.

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

I was told by people who knew ings at school he had a strong dislike towards the club for a good few years after rejection, so yes you are correct. Also apparently he was a bit of a dick anyways. 

I was at school with Ings, so I can verify all of this.

He was a bit cocky at times but not a total dick however he was absolutely not a dick on the football field. He was someone who just loved playing football and would at lunch times and before and after school, he would encourage everyone to come and play no matter what their ability. He was super encouraging to everyone when it came to football and "dumbed himself down" a lot so that he could play at our level because he just loved it.

I also went to school with someone who was polar opposite. A super talented footballer who could do all the tricks and flicks and dribble past anybody. We all thought he was going to be a superstar but he ended up having a bit part in Sweden with the team Graham Potter managed and a spell in the Scottish 3rd tier making about 15 appearances over 2 years. He was so cocky on the pitch however off it, he was a nice, quiet, pleasant lad who'd chat with anybody about anything.

It certainly goes to show that attitude and mental attributes are every bit as important as physical ones.

I did post about this a few weeks ago on here but from what I can remember, Ings' departure from the academy was done by some kind of templated letter or email to his parents or something and followed up with no aftercare what so ever.

Edited by Bad Wolf
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I was at school with Ings, so I can verify all of this.

He was a bit cocky at times but not a total dick however he was absolutely not a dick on the football field. He was someone who just loved playing football and would at lunch times and before and after school, he would encourage everyone to come and play no matter what their ability. He was super encouraging to everyone when it came to football and "dumbed himself down" a lot so that he could play at our level because he just loved it.

I also went to school with someone who was polar opposite. A super talented footballer who could do all the tricks and flicks and dribble past anybody. We all thought he was going to be a superstar but he ended up having a bit part in Sweden with the team Graham Potter managed and a spell in the Scottish 3rd tier making about 15 appearances over 2 years. He was so cocky on the pitch however off it, he was a nice, quiet, pleasant lad who'd chat with anybody about anything.

It certainly goes to show that attitude and mental attributes are every bit as important as physical ones.

Interesting, I was feckin hopeless on the football pitch and a complete cnut off it.

• Haha 14

15 minutes ago, iansums said:

Interesting, I was feckin hopeless on the football pitch and a complete cnut off it.

I was woeful but like I said, for all Danny's cockiness etc as a person, it disappeared as soon as he was on a football pitch. Always shouted "UNLUCKY!" in a sincere manor when shocking players like me miskicked or hit the bar from two yards out with an open goal. Even though, it clearly wasn't unlucky, I was just awful.

Edited by Bad Wolf

3 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

crikey - have to admit i have never heard of him is he any good?

I don't know, but maybe it would be a good excuse to resurrect the old tradition of posting pictures of nuns on matchday threads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Much better source for it.

He’d be a cracking signing for £10 mil or so- gives us some experience to go with our youth, 3 seasons in the SPL and a few in Europa. Proven he can score goals as an attacking midfielder, which is somewhere we’re badly badly lacking

• Like 1

Aribo is quality, I'd be happy with that. He wouldn't cost ''too'' much either as he's out of contract next summer. Good performer in European football, not just SPL.

Adds a bit of experience/know how in a position where we are crying out for goal scoring quality.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Teddeer said:

All very quiet on the strikers front. Hopefully means things are happening under the radar and a couple of decent signings will eventually be announced.

Assuming that the leopards have changed spots. Normally in a transfer window at Saints 'no news' means nothing is happening.

Just possibly they are mulling over trying to make some sort of deal with Chelsea for Broja 🤞. Despite many gossip rumours linking the lad to the Hammers or the Geordies there has been no movement. Maybe we have first refusal 🤞, maybe the lad has indicted a preference to stay on the south coast 🤞 rather than emigrate to the barren wastes of the heathen lands north of the Thames.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
more sarcasm added
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Assuming that the leopards have changed spots. Normally in a transfer window at Saints 'no news' means nothing is happening.

Just possibly they are mulling over trying to make some sort of deal with Chelsea for Broja 🤞. Despite many gossip rumours linking the lad to the Hammers or the Geordies there has been no movement. Maybe we have first refusal 🤞, maybe the lad has indicted a preference to stay on the south coast 🤞 rather than emigrate to the barren wastes of the heathen lands north of the Thames.

All the business we've done so far has been relatively simple in that selling club hasn't been reliant on the player and needing a replacement (except Bella-Kotchap) so in that regard it's been fairly easy.  Bigger deals are going to need everyone involved in the chain getting their ducks in a row.  Imagine Chelsea won't sell or loan Broja until they've sorted out their attack with Lukaku now off.  Same with Colwill - won't sell him until they get a couple of CBs in first. 

44 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

i assume his agent trying to drum things up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warwicksaint said:

He’d be a cracking signing for £10 mil or so- gives us some experience to go with our youth, 3 seasons in the SPL and a few in Europa. Proven he can score goals as an attacking midfielder, which is somewhere we’re badly badly lacking

I agree he would be a good signing, but he isn't really a huge goal threat. His numbers for Rangers are broadly in line with Armstrong and Elyounoussi for Celtic.

If we got him I imagine we would use him as a #10 and like Armstrong and Elyounoussi a fair expectation based on his career so far would be around 5 PL goals.

As for most teams outside the top 6 the key signing will be a striker who gets 10+ goals as without that our team will be short on goals - only JWP, Broja and Adams got more than 5 in the league last season.

Edited by Dusic

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

I agree he would be a good signing, but he isn't really a huge goal threat. His numbers for Rangers are broadly in line with Armstrong and Elyounoussi for Celtic.

If we got him I imagine we would he him as a #10 and like Armstrong and Elyounoussi a faor expectation based on his career so far would be around 5 PL goals.

As for most teams outside the top 6 the key signing will be a striker who gets 10+ goals as without that our team will be short on goals - only JWP, Broja and Adams got more than 5 in the league last season.

The big question is: does he have more pace than either of those two?

The lack of speed among our current lot of inside forwards is what makes us so toothless and easy to defend against.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

1 year left. £10m release clause (apparently) 

This has got to be agents work, I can't believe we are interested in a wide player with ok stats in the Scottish League, are we stockpiling them or something so we can sell them back when we've bought them all.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

It's pretty amazing how "incoming" focused this window is. It feels like we are actually trying to strengthen now, rather than play risky too-clever games in the last week of the window.

I know Forster and Broja (and Long) have gone but none of those are sell-to-buy departures.

Not been like this for a long time.

That said, please get a really good striker. 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Are we sure were buying enough experience for the season ahead or building for the future?.................alot of youngsters here with very little playing time good thing ?

An extremely  interesting question which cannot be answered at the present moment but there are certainly risks with this approach

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

It's pretty amazing how "incoming" focused this window is. It feels like we are actually trying to strengthen now, rather than play risky too-clever games in the last week of the window.

I know Forster and Broja (and Long) have gone but none of those are sell-to-buy departures.

Not been like this for a long time.

That said, please get a really good striker. 

I reckon Broja wouldn t mind coming back

39 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Yeah was saying this to a villa fan .. he reckons villa have no money to strengthen this window 

They have a fair few attacking midfielders like Aribo in fairness. Not sure it's a position they need to strengthen.

23 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Are we sure were buying enough experience for the season ahead or building for the future?.................alot of youngsters here with very little playing time good thing ?

Very few of our experienced players did anything to show they are the ones to stop the awful runs we seem to go on.  No doubt its a risk to have such a large concentration of young players in the squad but having options to rest players and dare I say drop some should hopefully give us a positive net gain over the course of a season.

I'm pleasantly surprised with not only how active we've been in the market but also how cut-throat that means we're going to be with some existing players in terms of pushing them out the door.