Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

36 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Are you suggesting kwp will be sold then?

I don’t know if he will or if he will not I don’t know anything about targets etc, I’m just putting forward the info I know, which is that financially we don’t need to sell KWP or JWP to fund this years spending and we have funds available to back a new manager ‘if required’ in January

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

We are interested in Tanganga on loan, would be a good option as cover at right back. Either Tanganga or Kabore on loan for the season would be decent business.

Screenshot_20220708-202633_Sky Sports.jpg

Can play both fullback positions and CB. Would be ideal for a loan for the season with option to buy.

• Like 2

Not a ground breaking observation, but from watching today's training video, KWP is playing left-back in the training match, while Valery is playing right-back.

I suspect it will Kabore and Livramento as our right-backs for next season and then KWP and Perraud for the left-back spot. Small to go out on loan and Valery to leave in whatever capacity will take him away.

Of course KWP will also play the occasional game at right-back while Livramento is out. Will be interesting to see what the long-term plan is for Kabore. I'm sure neither himself or Livramento will want to play backup to the other, if the possibility to sign Kabore on a permanent deal materialises and if he impresses.

(I actually prefer KWP as a right-back, although he isn't much of a downgrade as a left-back either).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Not a ground breaking observation, but from watching today's training video, KWP is playing left-back in the training match, while Valery is playing right-back.

I suspect it will Kabore and Livramento as our right-backs for next season and then KWP and Perraud for the left-back spot. Small to go out on loan and Valery to leave in whatever capacity will take him away.

Of course KWP will also play the occasional game at right-back while Livramento is out. Will be interesting to see what the long-term plan is for Kabore. I'm sure neither himself or Livramento will want to play backup to the other, if the possibility to sign Kabore on a permanent deal materialises and if he impresses.

(I actually prefer KWP as a right-back, although he isn't much of a downgrade as a left-back either).

Got to wonder whether the long term plan for livramento is further forward.

10 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Individually he's not much of a downgrade but having a right footer at left back makes us so narrow down that side. We lose any threat of a cross coming in as anybody who is out on that left hand side, KWP, Elyounoussi, Redmond, Armstrong whoever, they're ALL going to cut back and go inside. 

Perraud should be starting at left back. KWP at right back. Livramento rotating.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Individually he's not much of a downgrade but having a right footer at left back makes us so narrow down that side. We lose any threat of a cross coming in as anybody who is out on that left hand side, KWP, Elyounoussi, Redmond, Armstrong whoever, they're ALL going to cut back and go inside. 

Perraud should be starting at left back. KWP at right back. Livramento rotating.

You might lose a threat of a cross but it opens up the threat of a shot. KWP cutting inside was a bigger threat than any left back we’ve had in a while whipping in crosses, especially when none of our strikers are particularly adept at attacking crosses. He’s also got the ability to dictate play from the inside too. Nice to have the option to change it up depending on the opposition. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 9

53 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

You might lose a threat of a cross but it opens up the threat of a shot. KWP cutting inside was a bigger threat than any left back we’ve had in a while whipping in crosses, especially when none of our strikers are particularly adept at attacking crosses. He’s also got the ability to dictate play from the inside too. Nice to have the option to change it up depending on the opposition. 

That’s one argument, and it’s got its merits.

Personally I thought the best Saints have looked in recent years at left back involved Bertrand providing an overlap outside someone like Tadic. Bertrand would bomb forward, Tadic would hold and play Bertrand in so that he could either get to the byline for a low cross or drive into the box himself. Doing that stretches the play, all defenders have to retreat towards their own goal and it opens up other opportunities. Cutting inside allows the defence to keep a higher line. KWP is able to do this effectively on the right hand side from RB.

KWP does do a very good job at LB, no doubt. But I prefer him doing what he does best at RB and a left footer offering similar on the other side.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Agreed. People are fixated with left footed players on the left getting crosses in, but that gets us nowhere without someone on the end of them. A right footer cutting in on his right has the ability to get a shot away or play a ball through to a forward making a run. The latter often has more of a goal threat than a cross. For me, KWP down the left is no less of an attacking threat than KWP down the right. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, egg said:

Agreed. People are fixated with left footed players on the left getting crosses in, but that gets us nowhere without someone on the end of them. A right footer cutting in on his right has the ability to get a shot away or play a ball through to a forward making a run. The latter often has more of a goal threat than a cross. For me, KWP down the left is no less of an attacking threat than KWP down the right. 

Individually, yes. But our best performances last season came with Perraud at left back.

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

That’s one argument, and it’s got its merits.

Personally I thought the best Saints have looked in recent years at left back involved Bertrand providing an overlap outside someone like Tadic. Bertrand would bomb forward, Tadic would hold and play Bertrand in so that he could either get to the byline for a low cross or drive into the box himself. Doing that stretches the play, all defenders have to retreat towards their own goal and it opens up other opportunities. Cutting inside allows the defence to keep a higher line. KWP is able to do this effectively on the right hand side from RB.

KWP does do a very good job at LB, no doubt. But I prefer him doing what he does best at RB and a left footer offering similar on the other side.

Yeah the more I think about it Bertrand was just as big as a threat or maybe bigger. But his threat came because of who he had in the box as well. Not sure any of our strikers are particularly suited to attacking crosses really, especially not last season. Think they're all better at creating chances with the ball into their feet around the box. But like I say, good to have both options, especially if we sign a striker with a different profile. 

30 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Individually, yes. But our best performances last season came with Perraud at left back.

Just guessing but I wonder if KWP sees a gap in the England squad at left back. Chilwell and Shaw both seem to have injury issues, so I wonder if that is what is driving it, the player himself. Play left back, continue his good form and he becomes a very good option for Southgate able to cover both fullback positions, in a demanding tournament that is a very useful option to have. 

But considering we have 5 subs now, and we have a physically demanding playstyle, the ability to have a guy who can comfortably play left or right back well allows us to mix things up, rotate, etc. we (when tino is fit) will have 3 good full backs for two spots, so they all should get a lot of gametime and if KWP is not working on the left, you have Perraud to come in and it completely changes the attack dynamic down that flank. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Just guessing but I wonder if KWP sees a gap in the England squad at left back. Chilwell and Shaw both seem to have injury issues, so I wonder if that is what is driving it, the player himself. Play left back, continue his good form and he becomes a very good option for Southgate able to cover both fullback positions, in a demanding tournament that is a very useful option to have. 

But considering we have 5 subs now, and we have a physically demanding playstyle, the ability to have a guy who can comfortably play left or right back well allows us to mix things up, rotate, etc. we (when tino is fit) will have 3 good full backs for two spots, so they all should get a lot of gametime and if KWP is not working on the left, you have Perraud to come in and it completely changes the attack dynamic down that flank. 

Not sure he's thinking about England. He just seems like a guy that is in absolute brilliant form, keen to play and confident to be on either side.

It's a tricky situation, with Small not stepping up, Livramento injured and Valery not trusted. I do wonder what Ralph's opinion of Perraud is. He seemed to drop him pretty quickly.

With fullbacks so important we really need four of them. We have the bodies, but we only really have two. KWP gets injured and we will be struggling all season. Godo to hear we are looking to sign another and not relying on Small and Valery.

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Matter of opinion. We played very well at times with W-P at left back and Livra at right back. I think the important thing as to play a left footer ahead of W-P when he's at left back. 

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I know Adam didn't give much away but I think we can safely assume something is happening today. Probably Aribo announcement. Adam is basically the only journo who's every world I'll hang off.

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I know Adam didn't give much away but I think we can safely assume something is happening today. Probably Aribo announcement. Adam is basically the only journo who's every world I'll hang off.

He s a shit journo though he doesn t have many sources aside from the club, he only reports things when things are on the verge of being signed.

i would only classify him as a club reporter puppet

• Like 2
  • Confused 16

10 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

He s a shit journo though he doesn t have many sources aside from the club, he only reports things when things are on the verge of being signed.

Well yeah...He has sources at the club. The club tell him things...And he tends to tell us before the club do. Not really sure what your point is?

Definitely Aribo but it would be great for another that's completely under the radar

17 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I know Adam didn't give much away but I think we can safely assume something is happening today. Probably Aribo announcement. Adam is basically the only journo who's every world I'll hang off.bit ann

44 minutes ago, The Cat said:

From this summer, if Romano, or Ornstein say we're in for a player, we're in for that player. Then you have the local journos who can feed us with the not so headline news, but still very welcomed such as yesterday's example of shutting down the ever reliable Football Insider after 20 minutes of them claiming Armstrong was available on loan. Blackmore's included amongst the local group, while also being able to tell us when an announcement is going to happen. Blackmore doesn't say who we're targeting specifically, like Romano, or Ornstein do, but he's the trusted source on the finer details and what is happening at the club.

Then you have Alex Crook...

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Well yeah...He has sources at the club. The club tell him things...And he tends to tell us before the club do. Not really sure what your point

Think the point is that he rarely challenges or calls out Ralph during after match interviews, despite us being dog shite for large amounts of last season. I get why he doesn't, but very annoying when he could have asked lots of difficult questions to Ralph.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Surprised you've got so many confused reactions to this!?

I mean I like the guy, but he's a fan who commentates and the club use him like a PR mouthpiece/mascot who gives them free press releases and publicity. Nothing at all against the guy, but pretty much all his information is because he is the BBC Radio Solent pundit for the club 😅 - we'll never know what he'd be like as a journalist outside of that role because he doesn't do it and be doesn't need to either. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

From this summer, if Romano, or Ornstein say we're in for a player, we're in for that player. Then you have the local journos who can feed us with the not so headline news, but still very welcomed such as yesterday's example of shutting down the ever reliable Football Insider after 20 minutes of them claiming Armstrong was available on loan. Blackmore's included amongst the local group, while also being able to tell us when an announcement is going to happen. Blackmore doesn't say who we're targeting specifically, like Romano, or Ornstein do, but he's the trusted source on the finer details and what is happening at the club.

Then you have Alex Crook...

I think Crook might actually have lied his way into a position where he now has actual sources. Fake it till you make it type of thing - he's obviously a clown but seems to have been right about Svanberg at least and working at talkshite probably does come with some sort of inside info

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I mean I like the guy, but he's a fan who commentates and the club use him like a PR mouthpiece/mascot who gives them free press releases and publicity. Nothing at all against the guy, but pretty much all his information is because he is the BBC Radio Solent pundit for the club 😅 - we'll never know what he'd be like as a journalist outside of that role because he doesn't do it and be doesn't need to either. 

I dont think he is a Saints fan, think its Villa for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Think the point is that he rarely challenges or calls out Ralph during after match interviews, despite us being dog shite for large amounts of last season. I get why he doesn't, but very annoying when he could have asked lots of difficult questions to Ralph.

He can't go too hard on the club because he'll lose his privileged access, it's as simple as that. Probably the same for leaking transfer stories that the club doesn't want out

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I mean I like the guy, but he's a fan who commentates and the club use him like a PR mouthpiece/mascot who gives them free press releases and publicity. 

He supports Aston Villa. He even has a Brummie twang to his accent.

Edited by Matthew Le God

37 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He supports Aston Villa. He even has a Brummie twang to his accent.

So you are saying that having an accent is Immediatley reliable evidence that someone supports a club from that region? I'm afraid that logic is rather flawed if applied to a vast tranche of football fans... Prince William in particular isn't well known for his strong brummie accent 😛

Edited by Saint86

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

So you are saying that having an accent is Immediatley reliable evidence that someone supports a club from that region? I'm afraid that logic is rather flawed if applied to a vast tranche of football fans... Prince William in particular isn't well known for his strong brummie accent 😛

He is a Villa fan.  He is open about it if asked.

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure he's thinking about England. He just seems like a guy that is in absolute brilliant form, keen to play and confident to be on either side.

It's a tricky situation, with Small not stepping up, Livramento injured and Valery not trusted. I do wonder what Ralph's opinion of Perraud is. He seemed to drop him pretty quickly.

With fullbacks so important we really need four of them. We have the bodies, but we only really have two. KWP gets injured and we will be struggling all season. Godo to hear we are looking to sign another and not relying on Small and Valery.

I know you dont mean to but it seems a bit harsh on a 17yr old

12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I think the most reliable evidence is that he says he is a Villa fan regularly on commentaries, and has been repeating that fact for years.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I did not say that was the reason I knew he was a Villa fan. Him saying on the radio he is a Villa fan on numerous occasions was my big clue.

30 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

(At least one) striker, a number 10 and some full-back cover and we've had a superb window. 

It’s definitely positive. Some of these signings are so young that they will be up and down though. They should get there though so this season will be one of them learning the ropes unless they really are just ready and are future superstars. Another AM and a CF still needed. 

On 08/07/2022 at 19:46, Smirking_Saint said:

FYI… as far as I am aware they are comfortable investing to strengthen their product and I believe their hand has had to be dealt early due to the end of last year’s campaign

Ralph is to be given an amount of time, and money, and certain autonomy around his coaching staff and will be assessed up up to around the new international break

Should it be required there are names and funds available for the January window and new management team

Thats the depth of what Ive heard, Im not sure where we are around ‘balancing’ any debt but I get the impression we have strategic funds available and no need for unnecessary sales… surely if we needed to we’d sell JWP ? This effectively ‘clears’ our debt, or atleast a significant chunk

I wouldn’t expect us to start moving like City/Newcastle but we have been told that we will be sustainable however no longer need to sell to buy and that public narrative fits around what Ive heard internally

Southampton are and will remain the ‘major club’ of SRs new project, and relegation puts that project on the back foot, hence why we are seeing significant action here now

As far as the rest of the crap above, Id be gobsmacked if KWP goes for any less than 25m… I’d also expect to see Bednarek/Valery and likely atleast 1 No.10 go to balance the squad/books

Thanks for the info, it's definitely appreciated to hear these snippets.

Do you know what our aims are for this season and what circumstances Ralph would likely leave i.e. only if we're in a relegation battle/sudden collapse in form like last season etc.?