Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

9 hours ago, revolution saint said:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zeL_kVaSMZs&feature=share

I think this is supposed to show how good Moussa Dembele is but, honestly, he doesn’t look that good to me. Looking at his record he did ok in the championship, pretty good in Scotland, shit in Spain, and pretty good in France. Even at that price I’d give it a miss.

He still looks a better bet than the £20 million we paid for Carrillo (ouch).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Fair point. Although £5m for my toe nail clippings would be better value than £20m for Carrillo.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

To be honest if you look at that video then actually he doesn’t but I’ve since seen better ones and his goal record is pretty good. Probably moot point anyway if he doesn’t fancy joining us

Carrillo.  

Everything about that signing is hilarious.  🤪

Vice Chairman (Football) Les Reed said: “A huge amount of work has gone in to completing this transfer, and we are thrilled that we have now been able to push it through to completion.

“Guido represents a very exciting addition to our attacking options ahead of the final months of the season, possessing plenty of experience at the highest level, while also having the potential and the desire to improve even further.

“We are confident he will benefit us not only in the remainder of this campaign, but in the years to come.”

Southampton reportedly chose to sign Guido Carrillo back in 2018 to please then manager Mauricio Pellegrino and rejected Raul Jimenez in the process.

• Sad 1

Just now, tajjuk said:

So a still potentially a right back, no.10 and striker to come in, which would what take us to 7 first team squad players arriving in one window? Have we ever signed that many? 

Potentially the summer we sold a load and brought in Tadic, Pelle etc. Can't remember how many that was. 

Other than that probably not since league one under pardew.

4 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

So a still potentially a right back, no.10 and striker to come in, which would what take us to 7 first team squad players arriving in one window? Have we ever signed that many? 

Yes - under Dave Jones.  And what a load of tosh most of those signings were (Scott Marshall anyone?).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

When we came up we signed Gaston, J Rod, Davis, Clyne, Yoshida, Boruc, Gazza and Mayuka

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Potentially the summer we sold a load and brought in Tadic, Pelle etc. Can't remember how many that was. 

Yeh if you include Gardos then that it 6 was permanently -  Mane, Long, Tadic, Forster, Pelle, Gardos, 

Then Bertrand and Toby came in on loan, with Bertrand being made permanent in Jan. 

All fuelled though by over £100 million in sales, our net transfer spend that summer was still +£25 million according to transfermarkt 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

When we came up we signed Gaston, J Rod, Davis, Clyne, Yoshida, Boruc, Gazza and Mayuka

Two keepers there, so pretty similar, also no sales to fuel it, so yeh that is potentially similar window. Also with signings in multiple different positions. 

31 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

It remains our worst signing ever. In fact, I'm struggling to think of any other worse in the whole league

I'll never forgive the balding idiot for that (and many other dealings). Took us from Europe to being financially stricken and a relegation contender in his climatic 12-18months of horrendous of dealings 🤮😵😩💔

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Yes, 2009 for sure. Fonte, rickie, seaborne, jaihdi, Harding, papa waigo, trotman, Hammond, murty, puncheon and others. Was a total rebuild that summer from memory. Good memories though. Lee Barnard as well! 

Edit - and a certain west ham centre forward as well! Absolute bullet at Wembley 🤗

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

But fingers crossed ,can we hope to God that Ralph and the backroom staff know what team they want, and how to stop the surrender and rot from the end of the last few seasons?

20 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Does anyone remember who we signed from the shearer money?.

Seem to remember Peter Reid, but who else 🤔 

That’ll be Speedie and Dixon !!

Im not sure if Monkou didn’t come as a result of the Shearer money. He was the only decent player Branfoot bought anyway.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Who can forget the £5,000 that was paid to Halesowen Town to bring the fastest waiter in the land, Frankie Bennett, to the south coast?

In a reserve game at the Dell he allegedly managed to clear the upper Milton with a shot. Don’t know if true but we are talking Owen Farrell height to clear that. 

25 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not really. Shearer left in the summer of 1992, Peter Reid joined on a free transfer in October 1993.

How do you know none of the Shearer money was used to pay Reids signing on fee, wages etc? What sources do you have to confirm this? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

In a reserve game at the Dell he allegedly managed to clear the upper Milton with a shot. Don’t know if true but we are talking Owen Farrell height to clear that. 

Never forget Viafara managing to hit the big screen with a shot from just outside the box - wasn't even a volley, the ball was on the floor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

shame. would have liked us to sign him. I worry the reliance on KWP to cover both sides might bite us on the bum. i guess if we bring in a good right back on loan that will solve any potential issue;.

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

That’ll be Speedie and Dixon !!

Im not sure if Monkou didn’t come as a result of the Shearer money. He was the only decent player Branfoot bought anyway.

he checked and he did. i thought he came later. very well liked by the fans, but was he actually any good? Was living in Hull around that time so didn't see many games live.

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Decent work from Forest so far. 

getting Johnson to sign a new deal was great for them. Spence and Garner did well for them last season, so they have had to spend to stay still. They have momentum. Thats not good for us. We need promoted sides to struggle.

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

he checked and he did. i thought he came later. very well liked by the fans, but was he actually any good? Was living in Hull around that time so didn't see many games live.

Super Ken along with MLT was the brightest spot of a very grim era (which Les recreated 25 years later). Quick, strong and good football brain, never understood why Chelsea sold him even for what was a decent fee for the era. Sort of leadership qualities and communication skills the current squad needs more of. Not many errors, one red card v Everton that I can recall. One sickening clash of heads with Brian Deane of Leeds which he had to go off with concussion for, Deane stayed on and scored but dangerous decision and wouldn’t be allowed these days. He was released in 99 when 35 or so when we bought Dean Richards, joined Hudds and got MOTM at Fratton live on Sky, the skates booed him but still respected him. 

• Like 3

Not sure what's going on here... I'm already finding myself impatient for the next signing... 😅

Also, I'm expecting 3 more in total at least! 😁🤗

Mood Reaction GIF by Tennis TV

Great summer so far 😎

Edited by Saint86

6 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Forest are interested in Che. Not sure I'd be against him going to be honest, providing we could get at least 20m

I like him but for 20m if that happened, probably not the worst deal. Then we'd need 3 new strikers!!!

It's a no from me, weakens us, and strengthens a direct relegation rival. He's a good player, if not a goalscoring machine, but offers plenty else.  It's more about trying to find someone to play alongside him, assuming we play 2 up front, or finding 2 goalscoring midfielders if we go with a 4321.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

I like him but for 20m if that happened, probably not the worst deal. Then we'd need 3 new strikers!!!

Probably wouldn't be a bad thing if we had to go into the season with a completely new forward line. Our forwards haven't exactly set the world on fire.

Would be happy with Dembele and broja that's for sure but who knows at the moment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Surprised you've got so many confused reactions to this!?

I mean I like the guy, but he's a fan who commentates and the club use him like a PR mouthpiece/mascot who gives them free press releases and publicity. Nothing at all against the guy, but pretty much all his information is because he is the BBC Radio Solent pundit for the club 😅 - we'll never know what he'd be like as a journalist outside of that role because he doesn't do it and be doesn't need to either. 

He's a Villa fan

30 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I wouldn’t be against him going for £20m.  Would obviously need  a replacement lined up though.

So we'd be selling a striker who has performed at premier League level without being prolific, and trying to buy three new strikers who would all be better for that money? Not sure of the logic.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bad Wolf said:

He's a Villa fan

I didn't specify who he was a fan off, just that he was a football fan 😏. I think someone implied a differing meaning to that 😌. But I'm confident he is also a saints fan regardless. Lots of people have second clubs and he obviously likes saints... 😅😉. Also none of this makes any bearing on the point myself and Steve were making, which was about his showing as an journalist, nor does it have any bearing on MLG insinuation that a person's accent is reliable evidence of which team they support 😛

Edited by Saint86

Can’t believe people are open to selling Che - and for £20m. Sure, it would be great if he was a little more prolific in front of goal, but the reality is he’d be playing for someone better than us if he was as his all-round play is superb. Offers so much more than just goals. Our most important striker, without doubt.

• Like 10

Selling Adams would cause too much turnover in the striker positions, in the same way that we've kept Elyounoussi because we can't let all the 10s, barring S. Armstrong go at once. We already need to replace Broja and Long with the 5 subs rule, needing to replace Adams too would be a big ask for any scouting department. Plus, with the recent links to Dembele, I think Adams and Dembele would be a pretty good partnership. Dembele's all round game isn't there, but he is a finisher, a poacher. Adams' finishing isn't all there, but he is a supplier and can play others' into the positions that he misses from. Plus £20m... Steven Bergwijn went to Ajax for £28m and he was an average squad player in his three years at Tottenham.