Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

46 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I rate Adams, think he's a very good football and we're a better team when he's in it. He's obviously not prolific in front of goal and sometimes you wonder quite how he missed some of the chances he does but overall rather him in the team than not. If he could just manage an extra couple of goals a season to make him a 10 goal a season striker than that's not bad return for £15m. He could also quite easily have one of those seasons where he ends up with 15-20 goals when everything he hits goes in rather than straight at the keeper like some of his chances do now.

100% agree with you, we are a better team with him in it. Yes does he does miss a few sitters but importantly he is there in the right place to have the shot in the first place. That's down to his positional sense which is superb both inside and outside the box and he's great at holding up the ball and bringing someone else into the attack - when he's not left alone to do it all himself.

He strikes me as a very intelligent footballer who  just needs some sort of phsycological boost to be able to relax when in front of goal and take more of the opportunities we know - both both goals he has scored for us as well as previous teams - he is capabale of. He rarely blasts a hopeful shot wide in a panic, more often than not he's straigh at or too close to the keeper , which to me shows an element of trying to play it too safe. Agree with @Turkish , if he could gain a confidence boost of say 3 goals in the first 5 games he could easily go on to score 20 in a season.

I'd be aiming to build my attacking options around him this window, not let him go. That's not to say we shouldn't buy someone better, but if/when we do we should go for someone who can form a good partnership with the very good, could be ecellent, player we already have.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I rate Adams, think he's a very good football and we're a better team when he's in it. He's obviously not prolific in front of goal and sometimes you wonder quite how he missed some of the chances he does but overall rather him in the team than not. If he could just manage an extra couple of goals a season to make him a 10 goal a season striker than that's not bad return for £15m. He could also quite easily have one of those seasons where he ends up with 15-20 goals when everything he hits goes in rather than straight at the keeper like some of his chances do now.

Agree with this.  I think there's more to come from Che; he's definitely improving the longer he stays (with of course the exception of those periods where the whole team looks shit)

Also Adams is a good hold up player.  If we do end up trying our 4-3-2-1 (think I read it somewhere) then he is a good one to have as the 1. 

• Like 2

Just now, Wurzel said:

100% agree with you, we are a better team with him in it. Yes does he does miss a few sitters but importantly he is there in the right place to have the shot in the first place. That's down to his positional sense which is superb both inside and outside the box and he's great at holding up the ball and bringing someone else into the attack - when he's not left alone to do it all himself.

He strikes me as a very intelligent footballer who  just needs some sort of phsycological boost to be able to relax when in front of goal and take more of the opportunities we know - both both goals he has scored for us as well as previous teams - he is capabale of. He rarely blasts a hopeful shot wide in a panic, more often than not he's straigh at or too close to the keeper , which to me shows an element of trying to play it too safe. Agree with @Turkish , if he could gain a confidence boost of say 3 goals in the first 5 games he could easily go on to score 20 in a season.

I'd be aiming to build my attacking options around him this window, not let him go. That's not to say we shouldn't buy someone better, but if/when we do go for someone who can form a good partnership with the very good, could be ecellent, player we already have.

That's what i mean when i say he could have one of those seasons where he gets 15-20 goals. It's not like he doesn't get in the positions, he often does he just seems to lack that little bit of composure, smashing the ball as hard as he can rather than placing it in the net the the very top players do. Like you say if he goes on a little run and gets some confidence he's capable of having a great season. Overall a good player and like you say intelligent, good position, good at bringing others into the game. I guess Armstrong was brought in to be the fast, mobile player alongside him but that's not quite worked out so far.

• Like 4

Agree with what everyone has been saying above.

I rewatched the highlights of our games from last season the other day and the amount of chances Adams missed was incredible really. But he gets into that position so you really have to think that with a little more composure and confidence, he could easily add more to his tally

I think it would be stupid to sell him, and especially to a team who it immediately strengthens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, david in sweden said:

For value - in those days 1992 - it was a disastrous deal.

We got £3 million for Shearer ( a British record at the time)

and then paid out around £1 million for Dixon and Speedie..

They played around a dozen games between them and were gone

by the next season and we got zilch in return.

Similar situation with record sale of Martin Chivers to Spurs 1967

we got Frank Saul in part ex. which cost nearly 40% of the deal.

My advice to club is never do part exchange when it involves

taking one of their bench players who they don't want.

KWP is the only exception I can think of.

Possible warning for an eventual Winks deal.

We got Richard Chaplow (on loan) in exchange for WBA getting Nigel Quashie. We got a great deal there.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That's what i mean when i say he could have one of those seasons where he gets 15-20 goals. It's not like he doesn't get in the positions, he often does he just seems to lack that little bit of composure, smashing the ball as hard as he can rather than placing it in the net the the very top players do. Like you say if he goes on a little run and gets some confidence he's capable of having a great season. Overall a good player and like you say intelligent, good position, good at bringing others into the game. I guess Armstrong was brought in to be the fast, mobile player alongside him but that's not quite worked out so far.

Interesting take on Adams which I'm not fully in agreement with.  I agree he has lots of potential and I would love this season to be the one he really shines in, but so far he has followed the path of other Championship strikers trying to make it in the Prem in my opinion (including Armstrong).  Part of my observation with this is that he does NOT seem to find the right positions to take advantage, however to be fair that may be a facet of the lack of penetration and service he receives from a weak attacking midfield - i.e. the interaction between all our forward players is shockingly poor.  Makes me wonder what form of attack coaching actually takes place.  If he's only picking up half-chances then there's only half a chance (or less) that he's going to score.  I think the other issue is he is very one footed which perhaps with specific coaching could improve his game significantly.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Interesting take on Adams which I'm not fully in agreement with.  I agree he has lots of potential and I would love this season to be the one he really shines in, but so far he has followed the path of other Championship strikers trying to make it in the Prem in my opinion (including Armstrong).  Part of my observation with this is that he does NOT seem to find the right positions to take advantage, however to be fair that may be a facet of the lack of penetration and service he receives from a weak attacking midfield - i.e. the interaction between all our forward players is shockingly poor.  Makes me wonder what form of attack coaching actually takes place.  If he's only picking up half-chances then there's only half a chance (or less) that he's going to score.  I think the other issue is he is very one footed which perhaps with specific coaching could improve his game significantly.

Adams to me is an interesting one. He doesn't score enough at the moment, but the actual quality of the goals that he has scored is high.....not too many tap ins. I would like to see a showreel of all his Saints goals if one exists.

• Like 4

I get this is a strange thing to say, but I don't think people should base Adam's influence on just goals. He'll never score loads of goals, it's just the way it is. He's not a clinical finisher and I don't see that ever changing.

What he does bring to the attack is power, strength and legs. He stretches defenses and can create space for other players to run into. He works his absolute arse off which is priceless when we base most of our game on counter pressing.

This is why it's absolutely critical to find a player who can work with Adams and be the 'goal scorer' in that partnership, someone who can take advantage of the space he creates through his unselfish running. Adams can still be an influential member of the team, but relying on him for goal scoring will lead us to the Championship rather swiftly.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I get this is a strange thing to say, but I don't think people should base Adam's influence on just goals. He'll never score loads of goals, it's just the way it is. He's not a clinical finisher and I don't see that ever changing.

What he does bring to the attack is power, strength and legs. He stretches defenses and can create space for other players to run into. He works his absolute arse off which is priceless when we base most of our game on counter pressing.

This is why it's absolutely critical to find a player who can work with Adams and be the 'goal scorer' in that partnership, someone who can take advantage of the space he creates through his unselfish running. Adams can still be an influential member of the team, but relying on him for goal scoring will lead us to the Championship rather swiftly.

in other words a younger Shane Long !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

in other words a younger Shane Long !

Or Brett Ormerod! Those types of players are priceless. They often get pelters for their lack of goals, but they do bring a lot to the team 'IF' they are partnered with the right player. If they're not then the pressure builds on them and people point the finger at them, but at the end of the day that's unfair as it was never their game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Agree with what you and the others say re Che, always thought it harsh as to how he gets criticised by some as I see him as an important player for us, and one that gets better the more he plays - If he can sort out his composure in front of goal he'll be a very good striker for a lot of prem teams. 

I also think Armstrong has the potential to make it in the prem. He has pace, is two footed, and knows how to score. But for whatever reason its not worked last year. But... If we can get things clicking for those 2 (and CAMs), then in an attacking sense, the pair have all the attributes to cause a lot of problems. 

On that, I thought playing broja so much last season was odd. I felt Che offers more than him, and that ultimatley Armstrong is our asset and needed development time. I can therefore only assume that broja's game time was partly a marketing ploy for this summer - I.e. Game time for youbg players from top academies. But I won't be too disheartened if we do start with Adams and Armstrong, but we need additional cover (delap?) regardless. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Adams to me is an interesting one. He doesn't score enough at the moment, but the actual quality of the goals that he has scored is high.....not too many tap ins. I would like to see a showreel of all his Saints goals if one exists.

I can think of a few where he's falling over trying to get any body part in contact with the ball in order to get it over the line? Is that what you mean? 😅😛

But joking aside, he has scored some absolute beauties. I've just always felt that on instinct he knows where the goal is and will score belters - these are his best goals where he hasn't stopped to think about it. But then equally, when he has too much time to think about it, he lacks compsure / decision making and is likely to balls it up. 

As far as opposition defenders go, our attacking numbers pair well with Adam's pace / power - and you usually see him dominating individual defenders. A striker with good finishing who can feed off the space and knock downs that Adams creates would do very well. Which is where Armstrong has been particulary dissapointing. I think thats partly why Danny ings did so well with us. 

Edited by Saint86

38 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Agree with what you and the others say re Che, always thought it harsh as to how he gets criticised by some as I see him as an important player for us, and one that gets better the more he plays - If he can sort out his composure in front of goal he'll be a very good striker for a lot of prem teams. 

I also think Armstrong has the potential to make it in the prem. He has pace, is two footed, and knows how to score. But for whatever reason its not worked last year. But... If we can get things clicking for those 2 (and CAMs), then in an attacking sense, the pair have all the attributes to cause a lot of problems. 

On that, I thought playing broja so much last season was odd. I felt Che offers more than him, and that ultimatley Armstrong is our asset and needed development time. I can therefore only assume that broja's game time was partly a marketing ploy for this summer - I.e. Game time for youbg players from top academies. But I won't be too disheartened if we do start with Adams and Armstrong, but we need additional cover (delap?) regardless. 

Totally agree about sorting out the composure bit but also our midfield players need to be quicker in passing for those precious openings, plus he needs a  good playing partner.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SaintZamboni said:

That’s such a weird thing to say. ‘If their interest should materialize’, they’re not interested but if they were he’d prefer them…no sh*t 

My wife remains the favourite to nosh me off, but Holly Willoughby would be preferred should her interest materialise. 

• Haha 9

29 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I know its still early but do we think any of Aribo, Lavia, BK will be starters for game 1 ? assume Bazunu is nailed on to start in goal

Think Aribo starts for sure. 

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Or Brett Ormerod! Those types of players are priceless. They often get pelters for their lack of goals, but they do bring a lot to the team 'IF' they are partnered with the right player. If they're not then the pressure builds on them and people point the finger at them, but at the end of the day that's unfair as it was never their game.

The part I have to disagree with is it’s not his game ? It was his game when he was in the championship with Birmingham and knocking in 20 plus goals. In my opinion we didn’t buy him to be a Ormerod or long we hoped he could step up and do that in the prem.

I don’t hate adams and he does have some good hold up play but we could do better definitely, and unless we find someone else who was as profilic as Danny ings was our strike force will struggle 

5 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

The part I have to disagree with is it’s not his game ? It was his game when he was in the championship with Birmingham and knocking in 20 plus goals. In my opinion we didn’t buy him to be a Ormerod or long we hoped he could step up and do that in the prem.

I don’t hate adams and he does have some good hold up play but we could do better definitely, and unless we find someone else who was as profilic as Danny ings was our strike force will struggle 

He had one season hitting those sorts of levels in the Championship, but he benefited from being able to bully defenders a bit at that level and make space for himself. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Kyle Walker-Peters already knows 'right choice' as Tottenham and Man Utd transfer links emerge

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/kyle-walker-peters-tottenham-transfer-7319249 

A lot of smoke on this one and not usually this much smoke without fire. 

Not just KWP leaving but a lot of links to an incoming RB, leaving us with 3 which is excessive. 

Would be a big loss for us if true. 

Here’s hoping it’s just the club and agent playing each other in contract negotiations. 

Edited by Dman

17 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Striker wise I reckon we might be in for someone off the radar 

Mohammed Bayo 

Sesko

Jonathan David 

Have we been linked to any of those? 

We were linked with Jonathan David when he was at Gent. Sesko is linked with Spurs & Liverpool. Both are too good for us, probably, so would be incredible if we would get one of them. Bayo was linked in Dec/Jan but not sure how concrete the interest was?

Edited by Beckenham Saint

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

I hope we don't lose KWP - I just don't think Tino (even when fit) provides the same level of defensive guile (yet).  Our defence is one area where we cannot afford to rely on players that are "learning their trade".

Couldn't agree more

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Weren't we only after him to boost the U23s anyway? Or am I thinking of someone else?

re: Newcastle - Surprisingly for a team that has suddenly found themselves with a shed-load of cash, Newcastle have been spending it very well so far. But I wonder as the window goes on and creeps towards deadline day whether they'll panic a bit and start to splash out over the odds on players. I'm still half expecting a bid or two for JWP to come in at some point and I wouldn't be surprised if one of the bidders was Newcastle. Just a musing on my part.

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Weren't we only after him to boost the U23s anyway? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah. So did Derby though. Seemed a slightly unusual link to me. 

He’ll be far closer to their first team so good luck to him.

1 hour ago, Dman said:

Not just KWP leaving but a lot of links to an incoming RB, leaving us with 3 which is excessive. 

Having 3 RBs assumes that Tino makes a full recovery and gets back to the level he was at before the injury. With an ACL, that is far from a given and even if he does it might not be until some time in 2023 before he actually gets there. So what do we do if KWP gets injured in the early part of the season if we don't have any proper backup? Obviously finances are a key factor, but it makes perfect sense to bring in another RB, with KWP also vying for the LB spot with Perraud. Maybe Small goes out on loan. At the end of next season we will know where we are with Tino and I assume at least one of the RBs would be sold then. Just MHO, of course.

Losing Diallo would be a bit of a shame, but I guess (should we get another winger) Aribo could fill in if JWP ever missed minutes. Romeu/Lavia for the main DM role. 

Looked a good player at times (Liverpool game springs to mind) but sometimes looks like he's playing his first ever match.

Harry Winks seemingly getting the ‘he must be good enough for Saints because he’s played for a big club’ treatment. Wouldn’t surprise me if a fresh start here got more out of him than Spurs have in recent years, but there’s absolutely nothing to suggest he’s good enough to get in our starting 11 currently.

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Harry Winks seemingly getting the ‘he must be good enough for Saints because he’s played for a big club’ treatment. Wouldn’t surprise me if a fresh start here got more out of him than Spurs have in recent years, but there’s absolutely nothing to suggest he’s good enough to get in our starting 11 currently.

He wouldn't be signing as a starter. I think he'd be a big upgrade on Diallo.

• Confused 1