Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

In the sense that I think he's a better player.

Winks? I disagree. I think they're potentially on par but the fact Dialo is already ours and Winks would cost a fee as well as be on higher wages = I'd rather keep Dialo

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

One thing we really don't need to be doing is spending £15-20m & £50k+ p/week on a player to replace Diallo's involvement in the squad. I'd sooner use Smallbone where necessary and I think he's shit sadly.

I don’t think he’s shit at all, it’s early days in an injury ravaged career, he’s shown signs of being a good player, just my opinion.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

One thing we really don't need to be doing is spending £15-20m & £50k+ p/week on a player to replace Diallo's involvement in the squad. I'd sooner use Smallbone where necessary and I think he's shit sadly.

With the 5 subs rule I think it's the perfect position to be spending money on a back up. It's a high intensity position and after JWP and Romeu there is a sharp drop off in quality.I think it's more likely to be a loan to buy anyway. 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

With the 5 subs rule I think it's the perfect position to be spending money on a back up. It's a high intensity position and after JWP and Romeu there is a sharp drop off in quality.I think it's more likely to be a loan to buy anyway. 

So you think this could be happening then? 

5 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not when we arguably have 4/5 other more important positions to fill.

5 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I don’t think he’s shit at all, it’s early days in an injury ravaged career, he’s shown signs of being a good player, just my opinion.

I'm not seeing it at all sadly, hope he goes elsewhere and makes a decent career similar to Obafemi.

50 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He can only play well in a three man midfield. And Ralph doesn’t do three man midfields. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I wouldn’t be against the sale of him, it would be a shame but he’s not going to be a regular and if he’s serious about wanting a proper career and not being a bench warmer then it’s probably best for him to look elsewhere.

15 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Teams are still sniffing around Svanberg for around £8-10m.

Surely better value than Winks.

Only if he's better than Diallo, which from what I've heard from those who've seen him and the clips/stats available online Im not confident about. 

23 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I have no idea, but if we're open to moving Diallo on permanently we must be looking at someone else coming in.

You reckon? Lavia is here to play so Diallo is now further down the pecking order. It’ll be a case of Diallo is looking at even less game time than last season now. Valencia will be a good move for him, shame as he’s shown so ability at times, others times has looked a bit lightweight

Joking aside I don’t think we’ll bring in Harry Winks, not a saints type signing plus he’d come here to be first choice he isn’t Better than JWP or Romeu and as I said Lavia by all accounts will be knocking on the door for a starting role if not at the start of the season then very soon into it

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You reckon? Lavia is here to play so Diallo is now further down the pecking order. It’ll be a case of Diallo is looking at even less game time than last season now. Valencia will be a good move for him, shame as he’s shown so ability at times, others times has looked a bit lightweight

Joking aside I don’t think we’ll bring in Harry Winks, not a saints type signing plus he’d come here to be first choice he isn’t Better than JWP or Romeu and as I said Lavia by all accounts will be knocking on the door for a starting role if not at the start of the season then very soon into it

I'd actually completely forgot about Lavia. I do disagree that Winks isn't a Saints signing though, I'd put him firmly in the Bertrand, Romeu and KWP category of underappreciated player at a top 6 club that could be available for a knock down price. Romeu will also inevitably drop his levels in the next few seasons. 

But yeah, with Lavia you're probably right...I still don't see us letting Diallo go without someone else coming in though. 

• Like 1

If Diallo goes then I would guess we either stick and leave a spot for maybe a youth player (don’t think Smallbone is ready for central midfield but maybe someone else?) or we bring in another young academy type option. Can’t see us going for Winks, I don’t think he’s that bad but doesn’t offer enough for the price or wages. To be honest I hope Diallo stays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I find it strange that it’s so quiet on the striker talk.. it was the one position that you would think was top priority. Our other moves seemed to happen quite rapidly..

wonder if we are waiting on broja situation and he is the main choice ?

I can only assume that in the striker position we're looking for someone more proven, so with those sorts of transfers you need to wait for all sorts to fall into place with regards the selling clubs replacements/or the clubs waiting for other teams to show an interest etc. All sorts of things need to happen.

And in relation to Delap, if it's him we are also interested in, he's still away on holiday after the U19 Euro's I believe. Man City prob want a look at him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Brentford are doing some good business, lewis potter looks a great player

Dud I read a 6/7 yr contract !?!?

Six with an option for a year extension. Might not seem such a good idea for him if they get relegated next season or season after

12 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Six with an option for a year extension. Might not seem such a good idea for him if they get relegated next season or season after

That's a deal that, in years to come, will be looked back at as either completely genius or utter stupidity.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I find it strange that it’s so quiet on the striker talk.. it was the one position that you would think was top priority. Our other moves seemed to happen quite rapidly..

wonder if we are waiting on broja situation and he is the main choice ?

As if someone was listening...

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

How is that then? People were saying recently that we wouldn't be spending much money and would be selling to buy. Were they wrong?

I heard we've won the Euromillions tonight, c. £191m jackpot coming in! 

11 minutes ago, The Cat said:

How is that then? People were saying recently that we wouldn't be spending much money and would be selling to buy. Were they wrong?

About that, yes, probably. It seems that Sport Republic were quite open about the fact that we may not need to sell first before buying. Whether they are funding the squad massively, or whether they will offset spending with upcoming sales outward, we’ll see when the window #slamshut.

9 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I But then equally, when he has too much time to think about it, he lacks compsure / decision making and is likely to balls it up. 

Think Adams lacks a left foot as well rather than it just being composure

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

To be fair, Talksport translates to Alex Crook, so about as reliable as a politician.

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He wouldn't be signing as a starter. I think he'd be a big upgrade on Diallo.

Can't see us paying the sort of money spurs would want to sign him as a squad player (at the age of 26).

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

That's why loans exist.

Loaning a 26 year old to be 3rd or 4th choice centre midfielder probably wouldn't appeal to Spurs or Winks. Loans are generally to get a decent amount of gametime.

Buying him for a club record or close to club record fee to be 3rd or 4th choice makes even less sense than loaning him. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

About that, yes, probably. It seems that Sport Republic were quite open about the fact that we may not need to sell first before buying. Whether they are funding the squad massively, or whether they will offset spending with upcoming sales outward, we’ll see when the window #slamshut.

They had a quote about the new ownership allowing us to be more flexible. Whether that means selling this summer or next summer I don't know but it does seem like they are happy to address it in a positive way.

I think there’s something there with Diallo although he’s obviously running out of time to prove it, and might benefit from a move to a team where the player in his most obvious position is the first name on the team sheet. In a 5 sub future, the more first team ready players we have, the better. I’d personally see him ahead of the likes of Djneppo, Redmond and Walcott who for the most part sadly offer very little.  

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

I'll be watching this. Could be a Bowen, could be an Armstrong. Has talent. 6 years though, IF he's a flop, that's a long contract for them to have him on. Not that I think he will be.

As for Winks, while I don't think he's as bad as some people are making out, I just don't think he fits our profile. 26 isn't young any more, his injury record isn't great and IMO there are better CMs out there for better money.

Diallo would be a shame - I think there's a player there but he's seemingly back up to JWP and, as we know, JWP is a frigging machine. I'd keep Diallo and try him a bit further forward but we probably do need to sell someone soon and if we can get decent money for Diallo then why not him.

• Like 1

I don’t think Winks is as bad as people make out. He’s just a standard CM. 
Most holding kids are a bit more stocky, tough tackling etc, but I think in the past few years every time he’s gone in for a tackle he’s come away injured 😅

He’d be a decent signing, and a bit like KWP in a team like ours he could be a key player.

All that said I’d rather we looked elsewhere, I don’t think we’re in for him, I can see him being a cheap Everton signing for Lampard.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t think we’re in for him, I can see him being a cheap Everton signing for Lampard.

Yeah I agree. Seems an obvious move. Fans on their forum seem happy with the suggestion because even a decidedly average player would drastically improve their awful midfield.

Chelsea look like they will sign Ake & Koulibaly and still want Kimpembe as well.

Surely they will let Colwill go once those deals happen.

Hopefully we can ship out Lyanco and/or Bednarek and bring him in, but nothing seems close on outgoings and as it stands we have 5 senior CBs plus Simeu so doubt we can sign another without at least one sale.

Will be very interesting to see who else goes for him. Imagine Brighton will as Duffy past it and Cucurella often played left CB of a back three towards the end of the season.

Edited by Dusic

11 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Chelsea look like they will sign Ake & Koulibaly and still want Kimpembe as well.

Surely they will let Colwill go once those deals happen.

Hopefully we can ship out Lyanco and/or Bednarek and bring him in, but nothing seems close on outgoings and as it stands we have 5 senior CBs plus Simeu so doubt we can sign another without at least one sale.

Will be very interesting to see who else goes for him. Imagine Brighton will as Duffy past it and Cucurella often played left CB of a back three towards the end of the season.

Can’t see them signing all 3. Brighton been very quiet this window so far. Was wondering if they might have issues with FFP given how much they’ve spent in recent years .