Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

19 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

It's going to be quiet on the incomings for a period, need to offload some players now - more in line with traditional methodology of Southampton FC's player transfers. 

Our wage bill versus turnover was over the 70% FFP rules during pandemic I seem to recall. So it makes sense we need to offload some deadwood and bednarek to ease the salary cap 

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

It depends whether Delap thinks he'll ever get a chance at City (can't see it myself) or whether he wants to try his luck at a Premier League club where he'll get plenty of opportunity to play. Yes Kompany has the City link but we can blow Burnley out the water financially and in terms of league stature - Burnley can offer him first team football but then so can we, so they don't have that hand to play with.

On paper I think the two strikers that best "fit" us are Delap and Adamu. I don't think we'll get Broja now and I don't know much about Kalajdzic (although tall, I'm not sure he fits our profile.. and he did his ACL a couple of years ago) whereas Delap and Adamu (Austrian, surely Ralph could swing it) seem more our style. Having said this I'm sure we'll end up with someone nobody has heard of.

47 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Bednarek going to Leicester would be hilarious.

Their recruitment has gone right down hill lately.

have they mirrored us? When we sold our stars we replaced them with Pelle, Tadic , Mane, VVD etc. and everything was rosey. Then when that batch left  things turned to shit.  Leicester seemed to replace their stars with more stars, but the next phase (Bertrand, Vetsegaard etc) not quite so good.

24 minutes ago, Chez said:

have they mirrored us? When we sold our stars we replaced them with Pelle, Tadic , Mane, VVD etc. and everything was rosey. Then when that batch left  things turned to shit.  Leicester seemed to replace their stars with more stars, but the next phase (Bertrand, Vetsegaard etc) not quite so good.

Well as a great man once said Leicester did copy us. 

49 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

It depends whether Delap thinks he'll ever get a chance at City (can't see it myself) or whether he wants to try his luck at a Premier League club where he'll get plenty of opportunity to play. Yes Kompany has the City link but we can blow Burnley out the water financially and in terms of league stature - Burnley can offer him first team football but then so can we, so they don't have that hand to play with.

On paper I think the two strikers that best "fit" us are Delap and Adamu. I don't think we'll get Broja now and I don't know much about Kalajdzic (although tall, I'm not sure he fits our profile.. and he did his ACL a couple of years ago) whereas Delap and Adamu (Austrian, surely Ralph could swing it) seem more our style. Having said this I'm sure we'll end up with someone nobody has heard of.

This has had our name written over it from the get go, he’s always looked the heir to the throne of broja. Would still prefer broja if we could swing it but all the smoke seems to be pointing to West Ham..

anyway delap kinda looks perfect for us anyway one of the hottest academy talents in the country powerful looks a good finisher like broja the ceiling looks high so will be happy with this 

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

True, but he could go to Burnley without moving home, assuming he does live in Manchester. Might matter quite a bit to a lad his age.

3 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

True, but he could go to Burnley without moving home, assuming he does live in Manchester. Might matter quite a bit to a lad his age.

Ah didn't think about locality. Though he is a Winchester lad so.... 🤞 Plus we have Paultons Park. Massive draw for a lad his age. 😜

• Haha 5

37 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

#ColwillWatch

Think this is going to depend on shifting Bednarek and Stephens &/or Lyanco.

Cant see it happening. Unless we catch Leicester on a particularly weak day.

Think Colwill may actually end up at Leicester. Or Palace.

7 hours ago, DT said:

Or Perraud but apparently all working on 'fitness'

Perraud was injured tail end of season, thought they said he was hoping to be ok for start of this. The other two, on their way hopefully, no amount of fitness work will make them good enough for another season at Saints 

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Ah didn't think about locality. Though he is a Winchester lad so.... 🤞 Plus we have Paultons Park. Massive draw for a lad his age. 😜

Paultons Park wasn't a big enough pull factor to keep the Delap family in Hampshire when Rory Delap left for Sunderland when Liam was 3 years old. 

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Paultons Park wasn't a big enough pull factor to keep the Delap family in Hampshire when Rory Delap left for Sunderland when Liam was 3 years old. 

Maybe, but they didn't have Peppa Pig World back then. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Never mind, beaten to it - damn you SNSUN!

Edited by ErwinK1961
Too slow
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

#ColwillWatch

I see today we're still being name-checked in links to Chris Richards of Bayern too, alongside Leeds and Palace. I don't think we'll bring in another CB unless we ship one out first though - unless we really want, say, Colwill and the time to sign him crops up first.

14 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

Maybe, but they didn't have Peppa Pig World back then. 😉

I have seen him at Marwell Zoo   😉

(Ok he was in a pram, with his Mum and Dad, in 2003 before the Cup Final, but still...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Delap would be an awesome signing up top. Hoping the links with Dembele are true too. 

Out of interest why do you say that? I know we're light up front but nothing to say those two would do any better than  what we have 

1 minute ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Why would you need to ‘explore the possibility’ of signing someone if you have a buy back clause?

You either trigger the buy back or you don’t?

He may not want to go. Just because a release clause is triggered we can't block a move but KWP doesn't have to accept a contract with them.

May also be vague journalistic bullsh*t which seems equally as likely.

I would be gutted to see KWP leave but at least £30mil is a reasonable amount of money to put towards a hypothetical replacement. That being said in an open market I would want to see us hold out for a bigger fee for what is one of our top talents. Probably not the profile we would go with but Aarons at Norwich has a good reputation and Norwich seem open to sales for the right price.

They're signing Djed Spence and also have Doherty, Emerson Royal and Tanganga who all play KWPs favoured position. Either they're planning a number of sales, looking at KWP for LB (talk of Regulion leaving) or its a bullshit rumour. Im going with the latter

44 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

If he had any sense he would go and finally play for a very good manager who'd play him in his preferred position with the added bonus of being in the champions league 

Are you actually a fan? I’m asking cos your post sounds like you’re not.

25 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

He has been great for us, a breath of fresh air in a pile of poo. If we do have to sell for £30m, that's a tidy profit though and perfectly fits the model of buying cheap and selling later for a profit so wouldn't be a surprise if he is sold tbh

Agreed. Our model is built on deals like this. At the end of the day if he wants to stay he will, regardless of Buy back. And if he doesn’t we’ll turn a tidy profit for a full back. Either scenario assumes Spurs’ interest is real. Personally I think he’ll choose to stay and I’m very happy with that.

1 hour ago, danjosaint said:

If he had any sense he would go and finally play for a very good manager who'd play him in his preferred position with the added bonus of being in the champions league 

He prefers to play on the left

Colwill would be so ideal, plays left sided in a 2 or 3 so also gives flexibility.

If Salisu plays well this season he will get a move next summer and Colwill would be more experienced by then to take over.

But surely we have to get shot of two from Lyanco, Stephens and Bednarek and at the moment there is nothing remotely concrete.

Lyanco was such a pointless signing. Is never going to be a first choice and now potentially blocks us from getting Colwill. Perhaps as he was cheap we would be open to loaning him to a team back in Italy?

Eh, I don't like the idea of missing out on high potential young players when they're available, just because we already have some mediocre crap jamming up the squad. The buy-to-sell model needs a seamless conveyor of talent to work - you can't rely on doing all the buying and selling in one window every year.

1 minute ago, verlaine1979 said:

Eh, I don't like the idea of missing out on high potential young players when they're available, just because we already have some mediocre crap jamming up the squad. The buy-to-sell model needs a seamless conveyor of talent to work - you can't rely on doing all the buying and selling in one window every year.

How would you make sure those high potential young players don’t become mediocre crap jamming up the squad and preventing us signing the next batch of high potential young players?

1 minute ago, revolution saint said:

How would you make sure those high potential young players don’t become mediocre crap jamming up the squad and preventing us signing the next batch of high potential young players?

The proposed business model of the club relies on decent scouting, so I'm taking that as a given.