Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

44 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Wasn’t he sent off for a supposed foul in the run up to their first goal? My memory of that game is very selective.

He was sent off after their 1st goal, the sending off was the first utilising VAR in the Premier league!

3 hours ago, tajjuk said:

lol he got into the England team at left back, having played at left back (and played well). He also IIRC has come out said publicly he's enjoyed it. 

As for the last 3 months, I don't think anyone has forgotten it, they just have more sense to not judge a whole season, a manager and a team on a third of a season. 

All teams have periods of poor form, even the best, but especially a team like ours that has had very little investment in the last 3-4 years and in reality lacks quality all over the pitch. As said above, Ralph has got them over performing when you consider our spend and budget, pretty much every team that finished just above us or below us has had significantly more investment than we have and that is pretty much been the case every season he's been here. Wolves, Newcastle, Palace, Brighton, Villa, Everton, these sort of clubs have been spending way more (whilst also not been hamstrung by poor signings giving us 'useless' wages on the wage bill) and but have been in around us for most of the season. I think that pretty much conclusively proves Ralph 'has what is takes' in the PL. 

Also it's pretty consistent for teams with not much to play for but unlikely to go down to coast till the end of the season, Charlton in the Prem did it pretty much every year, didn't make Curbishley suddenly a bad manager.  Some players have natural drive, others need something to motivate them and I'd imagine most don't care about an extra £2-3 million for the club for finishing 10th instead of 14th or whatever.  If we can keep improving the squad then hopefully we can push ourselves to be involved in the Euro places battle going into the home stretch next year and then hopefully we won't see the drop off. 

The comment about players regressing is just baffling. Our best player for example, is our best player because he's developed under Ralph. Loads of our players have improved, we are literally talking about one in KWP who was a Spurs barely squad player when he came here, or just look at Danny Ings, how his form has dropped off at Villa. 

There is something seriously wrong if your suggestion that players coasted til the end of the season is anywhere close to being factual. The fans pay a lot of money to watch the team and if true that they were allowed to coast then something is seriously wrong. For the record I don't believe they coasted or that Ralph would have allowed them to.

4 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

There is something seriously wrong if your suggestion that players coasted til the end of the season is anywhere close to being factual. The fans pay a lot of money to watch the team and if true that they were allowed to coast then something is seriously wrong. For the record I don't believe they coasted or that Ralph would have allowed them to.

I don't believe it's a conscious thing or they are doing it on purpose but in elite sport even a few percentages off can make a difference, add that to also getting in some bad form, then losing some confidence as well you can get end of season runs like that. 

Mid table teams taking their eyes off the ball when they have nothing to play for is pretty common. IIRC last season Villa were similar and finished pretty poorly overall. Wolves also once they dropped out of European contention. 

3 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’m sure I have seen direct quotes on here from KWP that he had no issue with playing LB.

“I think his (Livramento)  arrival has allowed me to show everyone I can play left-back. It’s something I’ve always enjoyed doing. I’ve done it since I was in the academy at Tottenham, playing left-back.

“Through the England youth system, left-back so yeah it wasn’t too new to me but it was nice to be able to show everyone, you know, how versatile I am.”

https://epl24x7.com/2022/06/10/01/15/40/126658/

KYLE Walker-Peters has insisted he is “comfortable playing anywhere” after featuring in the 10 role versus Manchester United, before Ralph Hasenhuttl compared him to German icon Philipp Lahm.    https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/19922227.southamptons-kyle-walker-peters-happy-play-anywhere-philipp-lahm-comparison/

I posted those two last week, I'm sure there's even more out there. But that doesn't fit a few peoples anti-Ralph, anti-Saints agenda

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with Levi C whether that's on a perm or loan I'm not sure...

Delap too, I think the Broja loan last year shows that we will play him - I think we'll still sign another striker along with Delap.

I also think an attacking player will be dancing down the Itchen Bridge at some point this summer too.

More to come but got to shift a few first.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Screenshot_20220714-114957_Sky Sports.jpg

Lyon seem to be really difficult to deal with by all accounts. Didn't Newcastle have a lot of trouble with them when signing Bruno? Be interesting to see where this goes as I think we've definetly had a sniff at him. 

17 hours ago, danjosaint said:

If he had any sense he would go and finally play for a very good manager who'd play him in his preferred position with the added bonus of being in the champions league 

This argument is right up there with people saying Tino's injury was Ralph's fault for overplaying him 🤣. Both of them are absolute non starters! 😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

This argument is right up there with people saying Tino's injury was Ralph's fault for overplaying him 🤣. Both of them are absolute non starters! 😅

Two seperate points there. The injury wasnt Ralphs fault but there was no doubt he looked tired and his form had dipped, needing a rest but Ralph kept playing him

• Like 8

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with Levi C whether that's on a perm or loan I'm not sure...

Delap too, I think the Broja loan last year shows that we will play him - I think we'll still sign another striker along with Delap.

I also think an attacking player will be dancing down the Itchen Bridge at some point this summer too.

More to come but got to shift a few first.

Yeah, definitely feels like the club are very keen on Colwill.  It's not a position we have to strengthen in but get the impression that they feel he's too good to pass up (bit like the Livramento deal).  Lots of things point to Delap as well and with Shields in place it probably puts us in as good a position as anyone.

There were also a few articles at the tail end of the season suggesting that the club recognised that we didn't have enough variation in the number 10 positions so they'll have identified that.  I think Aribo addresses it to an extent but I think he's also been brought in as competition/cover for S. Armstrong so another 10 on the left sounds likely.

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Two seperate points there. The injury wasnt Ralphs fault but there was no doubt he looked tired and his form had dipped, needing a rest but Ralph kept playing him

Is this based on any facts or just gut instincts as I thought Tino did have time off prior to his injury

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Two separate points there. The injury wasn't Ralphs fault but there was no doubt he looked tired and his form had dipped, needing a rest but Ralph kept playing him

I never said his form hadn't dipped (everyone's did), just that people can't blame the manager for what was a fluke injury (24th April) - Looking at the fixtures - he was rested for the two previous games (against Burnley and Arsenal), featured against Chelsea, Leeds, and City before that, but was then rested for Watford (13th March) before that. So in the circa 5-6weeks between Watford and Brighton, he played four times (including Brighton when it happened). He was also subbed off in some of those games so they weren't full 90minute appearances.

13 minutes ago, John B said:

Is this based on any facts or just gut instincts as I thought Tino did have time off prior to his injury

Yup - see above.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

On 14/07/2022 at 08:39, Fabrice29 said:

KWP versatility is what stands him out against many other full backs and will be a part of what gets him a big move, so I think the idea that Ralph has unsettled him is laughable. He’s literally settled him into the PL, improved him, added strings to his bow and let him flourish. But yeah, KWP probably walks around cursing him for the few weeks he didn’t play him at the start of last season and then making him play left back to get him back in the team. Dear god. 

If/when he leaves it could just be that it’s part of the business mode and a good move for all concerned. You’re all going to have to get used to that at some stage btw. Better start trying now. 

?????????????????

Where have you been these last twenty years old chap? That's always been our business model. Some of us had rather hoped that things might be different from now on under the new ownership.

In any case all these speculative reports are just that, pure bullshit and nothing will come of them. Do you really think that the Alpine Flopp will let his best or second best player go when all he has to work with as the next season begins is a bunch of raw kids with the square root of sod all PL experience between them and the same old past-it fannies who nearly dropped us last year. 

Without KWP, JWP & OR he'd be up the creek paddle-less.

Trust me KWP will be a Saint for at least two more seasons. Money will be sorted but not in public! 

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Of course KWP wasn’t going back to Spurs. He was never going anywhere. And he still won’t be going anywhere.

Just like JWP I said wouldn’t be going anywhere over a month ago. As I’ve said before I think Prowsy will be at the club for life.

It’s just the usual wetties on this forum that have to have a sulk and moan about any tiny bit of gossip that pops up in tabloid news.

It’ll only be fringe players and players that aren’t good enough that’ll be leaving; again, like I said over a month ago. Your Djenepo’s, your Bednarek’s, your Long’s etc etc.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

So he didn't drop him at the start of season for Tino, he then didn't persevere playing Tino despite being inferior to Kwp in his defensive duties, it was so bleeding obvious Tino was better going forward, then what coincided with Kwp on the right and Perraud on the left was some of out best form, until Ralph was Ralph and changed it back to accommodate Tino , then our form and balance fell apart, I don't remember people saying it was Ralph's fault for the injury but it was plain to see he needed a break

Edited by danjosaint
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Of course KWP wasn’t going back to Spurs. He was never going anywhere. And he still won’t be going anywhere.

Just like JWP I said wouldn’t be going anywhere over a month ago. As I’ve said before I think Prowsy will be at the club for life.

It’s just the usual wetties on this forum that have to have a sulk and moan about any tiny bit of gossip that pops up in tabloid news.

It’ll only be fringe players and players that aren’t good enough that’ll be leaving; again, like I said over a month ago. Your Djenepo’s, your Bednarek’s, your Long’s etc etc.

So if barca bid 150m for jwp you still think he won't be going. Unless you are jwp then obviously you know better than everyone else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

?????????????????

Where have you been these last twenty years old chap? That's always been our business model. Some of us had rather hoped that things might be different from now on under the new ownership.

In any case all these speculative reports are just that, pure bullshit and nothing will come of them. Do you really think that the Alpine Flopp will let his best or second best player go when all he has to work with as the next season begins is a bunch of raw kids with the square root of sod all PL experience between them and the same old past-it fannies who nearly dropped us last year. 

Trust me JWP will be a Saint for at least two more seasons. Money will be sorted but not in public! 

They have literally told you it won't be at almost every opportunity. Old chap.

9 hours ago, The Juice said:

Glad Bednarek may be on the way out - a few years ago, when we signed Virgil to Liverpool, I - purely out of bitterness - started a debate with a Liverpool supporting mate that Bednarek was better than Virgil, anyway. My ego would not let me concede and, as such, I have been engaged in this debate for years now and it is not easy - especially knowing how wrong I am...  this would bring me great relief. 

I love this. To the bitter end my friend. The bitter end.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

?????????????????

Trust me JWP will be a Saint for at least two more seasons. Money will be sorted but not in public! 

To many pricks on here and your one of the biggest 

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

?????????????????

You always seem to get the completely wrong end of the stick.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, John B said:

He had an injury prior to his “injury”, minuscus tendon, my non expert opinion at the time was that he was rushed back.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

He had an injury prior to his “injury”, minuscus tendon, my non expert opinion at the time was that he was rushed back.

Based on what?

Surely the club has fitness coaches monitoring all aspects of a player so why would they rush a player back

1 minute ago, John B said:

Based on what?

Surely the club has fitness coaches monitoring all aspects of a player so why would they rush a player back

What based on what? I stated it was my non expert opinion, it doesn’t need a basis. Besides, It wouldn’t be the first time a player had been bought back to soon and suffered an injury, either a worsening of the original condition or a related injury caused by compensation for the original injury.

Edited by Toussaint

43 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Is that you fishing for a job with the club? 🧐🤣

Also, i thought that was his right knee but can't remember? I tried to look it up just now but can't find it reported anywhere. He did tweak his right knee the spring playing for the u21's though and got away with it - We weren't too happy with that call up from memory!!

His ACL was his left knee i believe? Either way, that's three knee issues in the space of 4-5months.... I hope he's not going to be one of these talented young players who's career ends up blighted by knee problems 😨:(😰.

Edited by Saint86

6 hours ago, Dusic said:

Brighton going to have some cash too if Cucurella goes to City.

*Various MLG notes* but I feel like we’ve done our best youth recruitment when we’ve kept it relatively quiet. 

11 hours ago, The Juice said:

Glad Bednarek may be on the way out - a few years ago, when we signed Virgil to Liverpool, I - purely out of bitterness - started a debate with a Liverpool supporting mate that Bednarek was better than Virgil, anyway. My ego would not let me concede and, as such, I have been engaged in this debate for years now and it is not easy - especially knowing how wrong I am...  this would bring me great relief. 

🤣

12 hours ago, The Juice said:

Great post. However, I don't think you should let it drop now. You've done well to get this far and probably deserve some sort of honorary life membership to Saints.  So wherever Bednarek goes, and for whatever fee, just tell your mate "Anything less than fifty or sixty million and I tell you, they've got themselves a f***** bargain".  

• Like 2

On 12/07/2022 at 11:06, Bad Wolf said:

We got Richard Chaplow (on loan) in exchange for WBA getting Nigel Quashie. We got a great deal there.

Agreed, but there wasn't a lot of money involved on that occasion and indeed Chaplow was an excellent signing.

The original issue on this post was the thought / or / fear of another record breaking " Carrillo" type deal and ending up with

another dud.  I'd love to be proven wrong, but the idea of signing Harry Winks gives me really bad vibes.

Spurs have taken us to the cleaners several times in the distant past, and our only " revenge " would be getting big money

on a deal if KWP were to return to North London. 

8 hours ago, Toussaint said:

What based on what? I stated it was my non expert opinion, it doesn’t need a basis. Besides, It wouldn’t be the first time a player had been bought back to soon and suffered an injury, either a worsening of the original condition or a related injury caused by compensation for the original injury.

Of course you need a basis otherwise what you post is  fiction and complete bollix 

Technically it is possibly libelious as your comment could be contrused as defaming Ralph and the club as you suggested they were being reckless

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Wasn’t he sent off for a supposed foul in the run up to their first goal? My memory of that game is very selective.

....it was a poorly-misjudged tackle ...on a very wet pitch.  The ref. on the day (Dean?) didn't find fault with it, but play was called back by the VAR ref. 

The tackle was made to look even worse by the player (Perez?), rolling on the ground in " agony ", but it didn't stop him scoring a couple of goals later in the game. 

Daily Mail linking us once again to Harry Winks and Dembele.

Sun linking us with Delap and saying City are willing to sell, but really just a re hash on Fabrizio Romano ‘decision in a few days’.

Colwill seems to have interest from Saints, Palace, Leicester, Brighton and Arsenal. Might be hard to secure him unless being from the area and our willingness to play youth sways it?

57 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

Daily Mail linking us once again to Harry Winks and Dembele.

Sun linking us with Delap and saying City are willing to sell, but really just a re hash on Fabrizio Romano ‘decision in a few days’.

Colwill seems to have interest from Saints, Palace, Leicester, Brighton and Arsenal. Might be hard to secure him unless being from the area and our willingness to play youth sways it?

I don't rate Winks at all but if we sign Dembele, our next signing can be Jermaine Wright's return for all I care.

• Haha 2

Just now, Bad Wolf said:

I don't rate Winks at all but if we sign Dembele, our next signing can be Jermaine Wright's return for all I care.

Be  very surprised if we get Dembele seeing as how he's already rejected us! Someone with a bit of credibility on here said Broja had renewed his lease at a chilworth property so reckon him and Delap and we've got a lot of competion for Colwill, Palace are building a decent side so far from a done deal. Lets hope we get him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Be  very surprised if we get Dembele seeing as how he's already rejected us! Someone with a bit of credibility on here said Broja had renewed his lease at a chilworth property so reckon him and Delap and we've got a lot of competion for Colwill, Palace are building a decent side so far from a done deal. Lets hope we get him.

The lease thing sounds a bit "Martin O'Neill has purchased a house in Winchester"

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I know footballers tend to own a number of properties, for example Steve Davis still owns a place down here - but if true RE Broja, then that’s a good sign. 

Colwill….. from what I’ve been hearing (from people close to his family), he’s keen to come back. I think it’s dependant on if Chelsea let him go or not. Basically, if he’s Free to leave, I would put a fair bet on hom coming here. 

Can’t seem dembele and not sure he’s the type of character we want. Very good player though. 

Edited by Dman