Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

18 minutes ago, Dman said:

I know footballers tend to own a number of properties, for example Steve Davis still owns a place down here - but if true RE Broja, then that’s a good sign. 

Colwill….. from what I’ve been hearing (from people close to his family), he’s keen to come back. I think it’s dependant on if Chelsea let him go or not. Basically, if he’s Free to leave, I would put a fair bet on hom coming here. 

Can’t seem dembele and not sure he’s the type of character we want. Very good player though. 

Colwill is meant to be a top prospect. Unless we are going 3 at the back guess he'll be fighting it out with Kotchop for the slot alongside Salisu. We need someone badly who can stick the ball in the back of the net though.

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Colwill is meant to be a top prospect. Unless we are going 3 at the back guess he'll be fighting it out with Kotchop for the slot alongside Salisu. We need someone badly who can stick the ball in the back of the net though.

Colwill is left footed and for Hudds primarily played left side of a back 3, which he could replicate for us potentially if we go that way (pre season friendly formations will be interesting).

I think therefore in a 4 he would be competing with Salisu unless we went with two left footers. Certainly Salisu is just about passable on the ball with his favoured foot so not sure I would want him on the right to be honest.

Palace apparently want to move to a back 3, so they are probably telling him he slots in there alongside Guehi and Andersen.

But for now with Ake staying at City I doubt they will let him out.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Colwill is left footed and for Hudds primarily played left side of a back 3, which he could replicate for us potentially if we go that way (pre season friendly formations will be interesting).

I think therefore in a 4 he would be competing with Salisu unless we went with two left footers. Certainly Salisu is just about passable on the ball with his favoured foot so not sure I would want him on the right to be honest.

Palace apparently want to move to a back 3, so they are probably telling him he slots in there alongside Guehi and Andersen.

But for now with Ake staying at City I doubt they will let him out.

Not sure where the obsession with having defenders with different feet has come from, the best pairings in history have both had the same stronger foot!

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Not sure where the obsession with having defenders with different feet has come from, the best pairings in history have both had the same stronger foot!

Agree to a point but I think its probably because of what they are asked to do on the ball now which hasn't always been the case previously. 

Salisu's weakness is on the ball. ABK supposedly the same. Therefore fairly logical to put them on the side where they would be required to use their stronger foot a higher proportion of the time, and probably makes them a little less susceptible to an opposition press.

Obviously some players like VVD like playing on the opposite side as it opens up the big diagonal pass to the opposite side, but the majority seem to favour the side of their strongest foot.

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t have a problem with Winks.

Make him part of the first team and IMHO he will deliver. I personally rate him better than all our options bar JWP in midfield.

I dont think that Winks is the worst player in the world, but don't feel that he would complement our current midfield partnerships. We lack pace and physicality which I don't think that he brings. Too similar to JWP (without the set pieces) and Levy would make sure that the transfer fee was at a premium level. Its a no from me.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Am I the only one who doesn’t have a problem with Winks.

Nope, there's at least three of us....  If he's good enough for Poch then he's good enough for me :)

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/winks-can-be-englands-iniesta-pochettino-hails-tottenham/ia579g39ragc1fflodaiopqwu

'Winks can be England's Iniesta' - Pochettino hails Tottenham midfielder

With the Three Lions on the lookout for a midfielder with supreme passing ability, the Spurs boss believes one of his players can provide the answer

Harry Winks can be England's Andres Iniesta, according to Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino.

Winks endured an injury-hit season in 2017-18, but has now recovered from the ankle problems that have plagued him.

Pochettino has eased Winks back into action - he has played just six minutes of Premier League football this term - but the 22-year-old midfielder is expected to be involved against Liverpool this weekend.

Pochettino has no doubt about how good Winks can be.

“His characteristics are perfect. When we talk about midfielders like [Spain greats] Xavi and Iniesta, he’s like this type of player. He has this capacity but he needs to take my words in a very positive way - he needs a lot of work," he told reporters.

“I don’t want to praise him too much because if so his head [grows big]! His perception will be ‘wow!’ And the reality is he still needs to prove [himself]. 

“He has the possibility and the potential, of course, but now it is up to him and we go again: mentality. In his mind he is capable to learn about suffering: there never is enough training, always try to be better. 

“Football must be his focus, not the business around football. 

“Maybe [if he learns this] he will play at a very good level and be one of the best midfielders in England. 

“If he wants to take my advice, take it. If people don’t want to take it, we cannot help. But of course his potential is to be a very, very good player for England and Tottenham. First for Tottenham and then, if England believe that he can help them, for England, too.”

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, WALK DMC said:

I dont think that Winks is the worst player in the world, but don't feel that he would complement our current midfield partnerships. We lack pace and physicality which I don't think that he brings. Too similar to JWP (without the set pieces) and Levy would make sure that the transfer fee was at a premium level. Its a no from me.

I have no problem if we sign Winks. The problem for Winks is 2 fold, the fan base are negative before he arrives, and paramount thing is that if JWP leaves for Winks to fill the place the fans will hate him more!!

Sadly my view is I dont feel there is a player in the team who I would be really sorry to see leave. 

• Like 1

Just now, trousers said:

Nope, there's at least three of us....  If he's good enough for Poch then he's good enough for me :)

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/winks-can-be-englands-iniesta-pochettino-hails-tottenham/ia579g39ragc1fflodaiopqwu

I’m with you, I like him. Tidy player. 

My only reservation is he’s tidy, but a bit of nothing. He could do with a bit extra bite. Sorta what JWP has developed. 

• Like 1

I think Winks would be a good signing. He's a solid player and to begin with would probably partner Romeu before he starts to play less and Lavia starts to play more. This would allow JWP to be pushed further forward as I've suspected might happen for a while. 

Losing Diallo does not concern me one bit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

That was four years ago, what has he done since then? Compare and contrast with how much JWP has evolved and improved.

I'm firmly anti-Winks, he's a nothing player that can shuttle the ball around a bit and nothing more. I'll be very surprised if our board think he's one to improve the squad.

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

I think I mentioned earlier that my brother in law is a spurs season ticket holder (and ex player) and really rates him. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, trousers said:

No problem with me signing Winks. More than capable player for our level. Think he would offer more than Diallo, who for me has done very little in his time with us. 

• Like 2

I think Winks is more suited to the Romeo role than the JWP one.  He seems to have a better range of passing than Romeo does.  I don't mind Winks but not sure whether he would be worth the money and how it would affect the development of Lavia.  I wouldn't be complaining if we signed him but in the context of other more pressing areas of the pitch it would seem a strange one.

50 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Winks is going to replace the departing Diallo. 

On the face of it looks a silly signing - need that cash for a good striker. Also, he's very overrated

26 minutes ago, igsey said:

That was four years ago, what has he done since then?

I agree that he's gone backwards in his development and not fulfilled his potential, but that doesn't necessarily mean that his career wouldn't be rekindled by a move elsewhere. There's different reasons why certain players' careers can go stale. A player that was hailed as having potential to become "England's Iniesta" must have something about him. Who knows why that potential was never realised. Maybe a move to a new club is what he needs to re-spark the flame...? (But, I concede, that the opposite could also be true!)

29 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think I mentioned earlier that my brother in law is a spurs season ticket holder (and ex player) and really rates him. 

I dont thin hes a bad player at all. Seems like there is a bit of a "he's shit" bandwagon going on here because enough people have said it. Personally doesn't feel a very saints signing, not really sure he's that much better than we have either for what he would cost but wouldn't be the worst signing in the world.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I dont thin hes a bad player at all. Seems like there is a bit of a "he's shit" bandwagon going on here because enough people have said it. Personally doesn't feel a very saints signing, not really sure he's that much better than we have either for what he would cost but wouldn't be the worst signing in the world.

Yes I would agree with that I think he would cost too much to be worth it. No doubt he'd do a good job though for me. He only has to do better than Diallo to do a job but Levi will set a stupid price. 

• Like 1

I guess the negativity around Winks is a little more subdued because we signed Lavia, so he won't be our only midfield signing.

Plus, whilst he's pretty average, it's easy to say that he's better than Diallo and certainly has more experience at this level than Diallo.

My only concern would be the fee. The priority, in my eyes, needs to be a striker - that's where our budget needs to go. If we spend £20m on Winks and miss out on a striker then we've done it wrong.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He’s certainly not shit. I haven’t seen enough of him to form a decent opinion, he seems tidy enough but unsure if he’d make a big impact with us. It would all depend on price, and I can’t see that he’d be cheap.

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I guess the negativity around Winks is a little more subdued because we signed Lavia, so he won't be our only midfield signing.

Plus, whilst he's pretty average, it's easy to say that he's better than Diallo and certainly has more experience at this level than Diallo.

My only concern would be the fee. The priority, in my eyes, needs to be a striker - that's where our budget needs to go. If we spend £20m on Winks and miss out on a striker then we've done it wrong.

Winks should be about 12 million you would hope. 

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Didn't the same thing happen with Dier last year? There were some links to him, but the fuck me he's terrible brigade thought it would be the worse signing in the club's history, despite him being clearly a level above what we had at the time.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The articles I saw a few months ago were talking of £20-25m, which would be horrible.

Their stance may have changed now.

I'd take him for 12-15 million. Any more and like you said it's too much and we could get comparable elsewhere. I can see the appeal of him though. 

5 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

We're surely not considering spaffing £20m on Harry fucking Winks. 

Passes safe and slowly, backwards and sideways. Can't tackle, can't head. No pace. No physicality. An absolute nonentity of a player.

He's not even Matt Oakley.

I don't want us to spend that much on Winks but where have you got these opinions from? How many times have you watched him play? 

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't want us to spend that much on Winks but where have you got these opinions from? How many times have you watched him play? 

My whole family are Spurs fans on my dad's side. So unfortunately I've watched him pretty much every week in some capacity. 

Wouldn't improve us in any way. Might as well bank the cash and promote a youth team midfielder. Or the kit man. 

• Haha 1

I don't think signing Winks would be a bad move and particularly if we get a comparable fee for Diallo if he's off.  The possible problem I can foresee is that Winks would only move to quickly gain a place in the starting 11, but I can't see where that opportunity is going to come from - will he really offer more than any of our present options - not sure?

As others have said, in terms of budget there is a desperate need to improve our striker options - this should take priority over any other position now.  Not too many solid rumours however - even Delap seems pie in the sky.

Just now, qwertyell said:

My whole family are Spurs fans on my dad's side. So unfortunately I've watched him pretty much every week in some capacity. 

Wouldn't improve us in any way. Might as well bank the cash and promote a youth team midfielder. Or the kit man. 

Do your family have any insights into why he went from being lauded by many and playing for England to someone who is now viewed as distinctly mediocre by some? Is it an attitude thing? Injury related? Or was he simply over-hyped in the first place? Cheers. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Certainly from the Spurs fans, but their midfield has improved drastically. 

I don’t think he is better than we have and when money can be used to improve in other areas it seems to be too much of a risk for £10m, let alone £20m in Levy world. 

14 minutes ago, Doctoroncall said:

Certainly from the Spurs fans, but their midfield has improved drastically. 

I don’t think he is better than we have and when money can be used to improve in other areas it seems to be too much of a risk for £10m, let alone £20m in Levy world. 

He's taking a lot of stick from Spurs fans, but there are also some suggestions that he just needs to get his confidence back to play more positively

I think Winks is a technically sound player and is a good passer/possession recycler, the issue is I don't think he offers much more. Physically he offers no height, pace or power, he is not a tough tackling ball winner, he doesn't score goals, he's a decent hard worker but I don't think has anywhere near the engine of say Ward-Prowse and iirc he's been fairly injury prone over his career. Is he is a good ball carrier? not to my memory. 

So really he's a worse Ward-Prowse because he doesn't have the free kicks, penalties, long shots, work rate, stamina, leadership and robustness. 

Then look at the players we've signed. Lavia iirc is 6' and known for his physicality and pace in midfield. Bella-Kotchap 6' 3" and also has good pace, Aribo is 6' and is known for his ability to shield the ball well.

Then look at the other players we are linked with 6' 1" Delap, 6' 7" Kalajdžić etc. 

Definitely a size, physicality and pace theme running through our signings and most of our targets as well. 

Winks just doesn't seem to fit with that IMO, so I am not sure there is much in those links. Plus we have JWP, Romeu, Diallo, Lavia and now Aribo all able to play the centre-mid roles (and Stu Armstrong as well if needed) so when we need reinforcements up front (we only have two recognised strikers) and extra quality at no.10 it doesn't make sense to spend money on centre-mid either. Especially at English PL player premium prices. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd consider him for that price but £25 Million was the one being thrown around in the media last week.

I find it hard to believe we would spend that much on Winks. That may be the price they want but that's a different conversation. 

29 minutes ago, trousers said:

Do your family have any insights into why he went from being lauded by many and playing for England to someone who is now viewed as distinctly mediocre by some? Is it an attitude thing? Injury related? Or was he simply over-hyped in the first place? Cheers. 

Had a bad ankle injury at the end of his "breakthrough season" when he landed on some water bottles on the touchline, and hasn't come close to recapturing that early promise.

Whether that's because he's been adversely affected by the injury or whether he was just over-hyped and people have now been able to make a more detailed judgement on his ability over a much longer period, I don't know. 

But he hasn't risen above mediocre in a long time. Certainly his brief patch of form seems an aberration when compared to the rest of his career to date.

Don't think there's anything wrong with his attitude - character might be a problem: loses confidence very quickly, starts turning down forward passing options and playing safe, then the crowd gets on his back, then he shrinks even further. He'd get along well with Redmond...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Turkish said:

Do you think Salisu is nailed on then and there's no prospect of him being forced onto the bench by Colwill/Kotchop?

1 hour ago, Neef said:

Why would Winks want to leave from being a bench player at Spurs to being a bench player at Saints?

Presumably as he better fancies his chances of fighting for starts at Saints. Which would surely be the case.