Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

9 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Having watched an enjoyable game of football, I come back here to find a notification involving MLG. The online equivalent to returning from a lovely night out, to find a turd on your doorstep.  🙂

I'm sure even in DatabaseLand it will be clear that both Winks and Romeu can play a number of roles in a defensive or central midfield position.

I agree. It would be interesting to see why MLG doesn’t, so hopefully he doesn’t do his usual thing and run away.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

That’s serious money. Not sure I would go that high and I like Broja. I guess that’s probably straight cash with no buy back or sell on, and also includes a fair amount in add ons but even so, it’s a big outlay for the lad. You’d imagine it blows us out the water. Almost relieved, I’d hate to lose out by the odd million but I don’t think it’s wise to match that bid, and there’s probably better value out there.

7 hours ago, revolution saint said:

That’s serious money. Not sure I would go that high and I like Broja. I guess that’s probably straight cash with no buy back or sell on, and also includes a fair amount in add ons but even so, it’s a big outlay for the lad. You’d imagine it blows us out the water. Almost relieved, I’d hate to lose out by the odd million but I don’t think it’s wise to match that bid, and there’s probably better value out there.

£30m is not really serious money in the premier league.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

For us it is. Perhaps not for others but it is £10 million higher than our highest ever transfer fee, and it would be £30 million (plus add-ons no doubt) spent on a striker who, while very promising (as we saw last year at times), is still quite raw and inexperienced. I understand the point is to make money on him long term, but if he costs us £30 million, surely we'd be look at a buy back of about £70-£80 million and I can't see Chelsea going for that anyway. Hell of a risk for us, even if we did happen to have £30 million to blow on one striker.

Don't get me wrong I'd fap myself dry if we broke our transfer record this summer and brought him in - I just think, based on what we've seen from our transfers so far, we're shopping in a store that costs a third of the price of a Broja.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

For us it is. Perhaps not for others but it is £10 million higher than our highest ever transfer fee, and it would be £30 million (plus add-ons no doubt) spent on a striker who, while very promising (as we saw last year at times), is still quite raw and inexperienced. I understand the point is to make money on him long term, but if he costs us £30 million, surely we'd be look at a buy back of about £70-£80 million and I can't see Chelsea going for that anyway. Hell of a risk for us, even if we did happen to have £30 million to blow on one striker.

Don't get me wrong I'd fap myself dry if we broke our transfer record this summer and brought him in - I just think, based on what we've seen from our transfers so far, we're shopping in a store that costs a third of the price of a Broja.

I doubt we will spend 30m+ on Broja or anyone else and as much as I like him, I'm not overly excited by that prospect anyway for some reason. I am hopeful that we have used our budget wisely and saved a good chunk of it for a couple of strikers, Delap on loan 🤞and then one who is fairly established (maybe like Kalajdsic or however you spell it) for upwards of 20m and more on another No10 type.

I do think Armstrong will be better than last year (couldn't be worse!!) and looks a far more instinctive finisher than Adams, but just lost his confidence after his initial few games. 

Having Aribo and another player of his type feeding the strikers should help improve the chances. 

Still need 3 forward players and a CB (get rid of one) so lots still to do, as well as shifting others out to help with the finances but so far so good.

• Like 1

The market has changed a lot but for £30m I’d want someone who has scored at least 12+ non-penalty goals in either Spain, Germany or Italy.

But for £30m that is unlikely to exist unless they’re on a contract with 1 year left or old.

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

The figure in euros flatters the size of the bid a bit but still represents a transfer record for about 40% of premier league clubs so it is serious money especially for the age and record of the player 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

We are doing the equivalent of betting on penny stocks

• Confused 1

Lewandowski joining Barcelona will start a chain reaction. If the rumours are to be believed, Kalajdzic has been waiting for this moment in the hope Bayern picks him up. If he's left disappointed, we might be in there 😁

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Lewandowski joining Barcelona will start a chain reaction. If the rumours are to be believed, Kalajdzic has been waiting for this moment in the hope Bayern picks him up. If he's left disappointed, we might be in there 😁

I know most clubs ignore FFP and financial restrictions, but something is still very wrong at Barcelona.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For Disco Stu...

... and the disco in us all. 🙂

Let's hope we're part of things falling into place.

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I know most clubs ignore FFP and financial restrictions, but something is still very wrong at Barcelona.

Enforced wage cuts, owing De Jong wages, selling off future income streams with more to come, massively in debt. Yet splurging every penny that comes in on new players they are going to struggle to register. Sure, some are frees but they will all have good salaries. The last I read, they were still struggling to meet the la Liga caps. That was before some incoming faces.

I wonder if they'd offload any players in our direction for buttons, if we reminded them about Ronnie Ekelund? 🙂

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

16 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I've never been able to work out how the hell Martin Braithwaite ever became a Barcelona player, it's unreal.

From wiki...

"He made his league debut for the club on 12 January, in a 1–0 victory against SD Huesca, coming on as a substitute for Guido Carrillo for the last 26 minutes..."

Braithwaite was also a youth player at FC Midtjylland, where Rasmus started out.

Not suggesting him as a striker solution for a moment though.

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why is picking up minor knocks in the summer fortunate? Minor knocks don't prevent players passing medicals. 

It's fortunate that he picks up knocks in training in the summer, during the off season, rather than during the season, which would prevent him from playing within a match, instead of missing a pre-season friendly.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He missed a preseason friendly last season and you mugs were similarly panicking 

Some geezer on twitter says he’s off to Newcastle. - not completely out of the question

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DT said:

Some geezer on twitter says he’s off to Newcastle. - not completely out of the question

You’re right it isn’t completely out of the question that someone on Twitter would say he’s off to Newcastle 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You’re right it isn’t completely out of the question that someone on Twitter would say he’s off to Newcastle 

Heh heh. He reckoned it was a ‘smokescreen’, the knock. So definitely true. 

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Who else for 30 million could we get who is better or similar to Broja? 

He is worth it allday long 

If Armstrong is the benchmark for what £15m bought a year ago then  Broja has to be worth a hell of a lot more. He's big, powerful, has pace, can finish and is a proven international. Personally I'd go all out to get him in - if £30m is the price, I can't think of anyone else we could realistically get who'd offer more. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Dellman said:

we've had a season of Broja and where did it get us? He just didn't fit, promising at times but disappointing over all. £30m you must be joking, no thank you.

Really? He was brilliant for the middle third of the season. He was poor last third but then so was everyone else. You can’t really expect a 20 year old loan player in his first full season in the PL to carry a team and manager performing poorly. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 6

Just now, Turkish said:

Really? He was brilliant for the middle third of the season. He was poor last third but then so was everyone else. You can’t really expect a 20 year old loan player in his first full season in the PL to carry a team and manager performing poorly. 

Yep. He fed off scraps for ages. No support, poor service. It was a thankless role and it's no wander his head dropped. If we played to his strengths he'd have done a lot better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I've never been able to work out how the hell Martin Braithwaite ever became a Barcelona player, it's unreal.

I honestly thought he looked pretty decent in the euros. Never seen him before or since though. Is he actually worse than either of our two?

18 minutes ago, Dellman said:

we've had a season of Broja and where did it get us? He just didn't fit, promising at times but disappointing over all. £30m you must be joking, no thank you.

His goals and great attacking play helped to keep us up. 

He fit pretty well as far as I could see. He gave a shit side an actual attacking threat. What 

What's your alternative options?

He ain't coming here. His goodbye message told me that. But I think he could become something pretty damn good. 

• Like 5

Various people on here saying we don't have enough money to buy this that or the other. Need to sell now before we can buy etc etc. That's a pretty big assumption unless you know something the rest of us don't. You may of course, be absolutely right, however, I don't know and I suspect nobody on here actually knows just how much the owners are prepared to splash out and none of us will know for sure until that transfer window SLAMS shut.

£30m for Broja plus possibly 2 or 3 other players may indeed be outside our budget. Equally, it may not. They may have spent cautiously and not broken the bank,  on the likes of Aribo, Lavia, Kotchap and Bazumu, but for all we know there may be a larger chunk waiting in order to get the right players (striker? No 10? cb? rb cover? etc etc) in. Or there may be nothing left in the pot. My point being, nobody actually knows. It's pure conjecture how much the owner are willing to spend. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Saint Keef said:

Various people on here saying we don't have enough money to buy this that or the other. Need to sell now before we can buy etc etc. That's a pretty big assumption unless you know something the rest of us don't. You may of course, be absolutely right, however, I don't know and I suspect nobody on here actually knows just how much the owners are prepared to splash out and none of us will know for sure until that transfer window SLAMS shut.

£30m for Broja plus possibly 2 or 3 other players may indeed be outside our budget. Equally, it may not. They may have spent cautiously and not broken the bank,  on the likes of Aribo, Lavia, Kotchap and Bazumu, but for all we know there may be a larger chunk waiting in order to get the right players (striker? No 10? cb? rb cover? etc etc) in. Or there may be nothing left in the pot. My point being, nobody actually knows. It's pure conjecture how much the owner are willing to spend. 

That's a fucking amazing statement of the blindingly obvious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dellman said:

Yes im with you at times did ok but last 8-9 games seemed disinterested and not bothered. Probably going to Wet Spam.......

5 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

For Disco Stu...

... and the disco in us all. 🙂

Let's hope we're part of things falling into place.

Enforced wage cuts, owing De Jong wages, selling off future income streams with more to come, massively in debt. Yet splurging every penny that comes in on new players they are going to struggle to register. Sure, some are frees but they will all have good salaries. The last I read, they were still struggling to meet the la Liga caps. That was before some incoming faces.

I wonder if they'd offload any players in our direction for buttons, if we reminded them about Ronnie Ekelund? 🙂

Didn't they get a massive bank loan of 250m which is offset by future revenue streams. Very dodgy way of getting around ffp

5 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

It's fortunate that he picks up knocks in training in the summer, during the off season, rather than during the season, which would prevent him from playing within a match, instead of missing a pre-season friendly.

Don’t worry anyone with common sense understood your point

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Our old friend Alex Crook on form. 

😂😂

One of his “I’ve been told” lines.

The only man with sources all over Europe who only seems to get his info conveniently after actual reporters Tweet info. 

19 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

😂😂

One of his “I’ve been told” lines.

The only man with sources all over Europe who only seems to get his info conveniently after actual reporters Tweet info. 

Crook?

Would not surprise me if he makes his living re-hashing the info Fabrizio Romano tweets to us all.

I liked Broja and thought he did well last season. I would be pleased to see him back playing for Saints... BUT... I don't think he is (yet) worth €30m (£25.5m). I believe we could probably obtain someone better for the same amount elsewhere. While there is no guarantee that Delap will do as well if we sign him, he will cost a lot less and we would be able to sign someone else as well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ally_uk said:

Someone better like who? 

it's a very good question. Who are these terrific £25m strikers that would be happy to come to Saints? I've seen one or two names, Kalajdzic for example, but does he really see us as a good move? 

I wonder also if we are actually even shopping at that price level.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1