Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Didn't he keep playing him?

I'm not sure that necessarily means it was all sweetness and light between them. Anyway, guess we'll never know. Until he bangs a couple in for West Ham against us and runs over to Ralph, stroking all of his chin...

😉

Borja’s big weakness was he was a bit of a lightweight when it came to challenging their centre half’s especially for headers.

Che is OK but he does not win many headers either.

We need someone who really puts himself about IMO as well as a pacy, tricky one.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Broja fell out with Hasenhuttl, and they are still on bad terms... how does that sit with the multiple reports of Saints wanting Broja to return this summer? 

I've hired people into my team who, despite my not liking them personally, I've known are good choices because they have a certain skillset or fulfil a particular role we need. It's called being pragmatic.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

Probably just me, but I am finding this window in some ways more frustrating than usual. It all started so well with the early unexpected signings but it has all suddenly gone very quiet on the most important area...getting goals. Having lost Broja and Long a major overhaul in the striking is required but unlike some of the earlier signings, no real rumours/chatter. I am also a bit confused as to who will line up in defence. Assumed Bednarek would be gone but still here and even Captain on Saturday. I am sure that the powers that be know what they are doing...after all we are the "Cornerstone" of SR.... but time is running out and still some major work to do. Will soon be the first game of the season.

Post content to username checks out

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

If Broja fell out with Hasenhuttl, and they are still on bad terms... how does that sit with the multiple reports of Saints wanting Broja to return this summer? 

I'd suggest that while there wasn't a visible falling out as far as the club was concerned, Broja didn't like the way Ralph dealt with him and had no intention of coming back

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

5 hours ago, Turkish said:

Rumours were he fell out with Ralph so quite probably something in it.

I heard there was something in the talk of broja or his family having an issue with our owner's nationality. That and he saw himself as bigger than Saints (which he is entitled to think in all fairness - its his career at the end of the day). I guess we'll never know what the real situation was, but it was clear with his leaving message that he was unlikely to be returning. And frankly - his goal return and effort isn't worth the outlay for a club like saints - we would be paying a considerable sum on the gamble that he'd develop into a player worth overpaying for now.

I do think it was always an error to loan him with no option to buy, we shouldn't be doing this unless we are desperate. Maybe you could argue we were desperate last year, but like as not, all we have done is develop him for another club at the expense of developing our own strikers in Adams and Armstrong. I also think we were playing him more than was warranted to try and sell the merits of Saints to him, or to promote our "youth" pitch for this summer.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

Isn’t it just likely that because we were utter dog shit for the final third of the season, losing 10 of our last 13 league games, he just looked around him and thought ‘yeah, I can be part of a much better team than this’? 

Edited by Midfield_General
  • Like 10
  • Haha 2

I really think we missed a trick not resigning Aaron Martin. Still miles to good for the conference, could have been good back up. Local lad came through the academy, and after being known as the next John Terry he could help Lancashire to guide the youngsters. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Sharpshooter11 said:

I really think we missed a trick not resigning Aaron Martin. Still miles to good for the conference, could have been good back up. Local lad came through the academy, and after being known as the next John Terry he could help Lancashire to guide the youngsters. 

RE-signing.*

38 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

Isn’t it just likely that because we were utter dog shit for the final third of the season, losing 10 of our last 13 league games, he just looked around him and thought ‘yeah, I can be part of a much better team than this’? 

Yep spot on !! And is why we can’t attract a decent proven striker !

most have said no chance am I going there under the waistcoat ! 😁

50 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Spurs sign Spence.  They have had a fantastic window to be fair.

He looks like a good player. If I recall he gave Arsenal a real runaround in the cup last year. Also, I guess that might rule them out of sniffing around for KWP which has to be good news.

5 hours ago, maysie said:

Enlighten us then?

His family wanted him to come back to us, he got on very well and felt very positively towards the club & Ralph.  He was keen to come back, Chelsea were sticking his name out there to drive the price up, and he's now out of our price range. Unfortunately it's Chelsea's prerogative to do that with their player.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

He spent the last half of the season strolling around the pitch with a face like a smacked arse, if I was his manager I would have fell out with him.

I would have had a face like a slapped arse playing in that team with dog shit service. The kid fed off scraps and I'd be more worried if he didn't look pissed off about it. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I heard there was something in the talk of broja or his family having an issue with our owner's nationality. That and he saw himself as bigger than Saint (which he is entitled to think in all fairness - its hit career at the end of the day). I guess we'll never know what the real situation was, but it was clear with his leaving message that he was unlikely to be returning. And frankly - his goal return and effort isn't worth the outlay for a club like saints - we would be paying a considerable sum on the gamble that he'd develop into a player worth overpaying for now.

I do think it was always an error to loan him with no option to buy, we shouldn't be doing this unless we are desperate. Maybe you could argue we were desperate last year, but like as not, all we have done is develop him for another club at the expense of developing our own strikers in Adams and Armstrong.

First time I read that I thought "why?" Just reread it and it seems a likely situation. Did "owner" previously say "boss" ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

Occam's razor. I agree with you.

We need to get some decent strikers in soon. A Armstrong looked dogshit again yesterday.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Occam's razor. I agree with you.

We need to get some decent strikers in soon. A Armstrong looked dogshit again yesterday.

I really wanted him to come good, I thought this season would be his chance, but watching him take the extra touch in the area yesterday, therefore losing the opportunity to score, made me finally realise he’s not going to progress to premier league level. 

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I really wanted him to come good, I thought this season would be his chance, but watching him take the extra touch in the area yesterday, therefore losing the opportunity to score, made me finally realise he’s not going to progress to premier league level. 

Tend to agree. He doesn’t appear to have that strikers instinct. Neither does Che but at least compensates in other areas and does chip in with a few goals. Adam Armstrong doesn’t really contribute much at all. Shame as I thought Armstrong might do well this season as well but I doubt it now.

Edited by revolution saint

32 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

It’s strange as he looked a player in his early days but seems to have got worse and worse as times gone on, maybe his confidence is shot, maybe he’s just not happy here or maybe he was one of those players that can raise their game for a big match but over the course of a season just isn’t up to it. The miss last night was poor, had to be getting there away first time and any half decent striker does. 

• Like 1

Really not sure what we up to regarding getting a striker.. it’s been our clear priority all along, puzzles me why we take Lavia first and not go straight for delap,, also how long does it take to find out if delap is available or not?  
I don’t think the board will let us down here but it’s weird why it’s dragging on so long and we are prioritising other positions first 

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

It's almost like they know they can hold out for more money. Then sell as late in the window as possible to clubs in the same league.

Downside for them is I can see this stopping current academy players signing long contracts in future. Unless they're big bucks.

24 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Really not sure what we up to regarding getting a striker.. it’s been our clear priority all along, puzzles me why we take Lavia first and not go straight for delap,, also how long does it take to find out if delap is available or not?  
I don’t think the board will let us down here but it’s weird why it’s dragging on so long and we are prioritising other positions first 

It’s posts like this that keeps MLG in business.

• Haha 3

45 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

21 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

It’s posts like this that keeps MLG in business.

Too much to unpack in one post!

Abc Love GIF by The Bachelor

It’s been good to get some of our transfer business done early, well done to the club for that. But it’s now only two and a half weeks until the season kicks off, so time is very much of the essence. Very much hoping to see striking incomings very soon so they can play a part in pre-season. Thinking it might be likely though that we may not complete dealings until the transfer window #slamsshut. Given the early start to this season, it makes things a bit more crucial to get done early.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, coalman said:

It's almost like they know they can hold out for more money. Then sell as late in the window as possible to clubs in the same league.

Downside for them is I can see this stopping current academy players signing long contracts in future. Unless they're big bucks.

It's obvious that neither are in the long term plans of Chelsea. Just all about starting a bidding war between interested clubs. Would serve them right if clubs moved onto other targets in the meantime.

28 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

Sam Amo-Ameyaw and Jayden Meghoma are both joining from Spurs. 

Both 16, turned down offers from Man United, City and Arsenal apparently 👀

#shields

Just need to get a few of our own academy lads to appear in the first team (Doyle, Edwards, Ballard) at some point this season and the pathway selling point can be really strongly in our favour.

As we have seen with Dibling, its mad how many 15-17yo actually move club these days.

Edited by Dusic

28 minutes ago, Ldnsaint said:

Sam Amo-Ameyaw and Jayden Meghoma are both joining from Spurs. 

Both 16, turned down offers from Man United, City and Arsenal apparently 👀

Happens everywhere. We lose a couple to Chelsea, but then pick up some from Spurs. All swings and roundabouts isn’t it

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Those two aren't going to be for the 1st team this season. They are signings for the academy as 1st year scholars.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they get B team minutes (particularly as potentially Small & Olaigbe out on loan)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Those two aren't going to be for the 1st team this season. They are signings for the academy as 1st year scholars.

Thanks for confirming two U16s aren’t being signed immediately for the first team MLG.

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Good Place

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Thanks for confirming two U16s aren’t being signed immediately for the first team MLG.

Happy Season 3 GIF by The Good Place

The context of my post was responding to someone implying it was adding to our first team lack of experience. 

American Housewife Greg Otto GIF by ABC Network

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1