Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

1 minute ago, charliemiller said:

So what do we need .

Striker X2 ?

Suggestions who is available .who we could afford .......anyone     Ings? 

No10 still needed or is aribo.that ?

Any suggestions ? 

Getting a bit like a guessing game with no viable targets 

I don't see us signing two 'strikers', one will be a proper striker and the second one will be someone who can play up front but also the wide/number 10 area's.

We also need full back cover, so 3 to come in at the very least I'd suggest.

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't see us signing two 'strikers', one will be a proper striker and the second one will be someone who can play up front but also the wide/number 10 area's.

We also need full back cover, so 3 to come in at the very least I'd suggest.

Return of Nathan Henry next season?

11 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Lots of Saints fans on Twitter saying we should be in for him, forgetting he's 29 and likely getting more money than Prowse.

He's also got a troublesome attitude by all accounts - and would therefore likely upset our squad dynamic. Add that to his wages, and its definitely one we should be nowhere near.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

He's also got a troublesome attitude by all accounts - and would therefore likely upset our squad dynamic. Add that to his wages, and its definitely one we should be nowhere near.

Agree that it’s not something we’ll be interested in but the whole attitude thing narks me off. No one has a clue what these players are like in real life. Wouldn’t really be bothered about the alleged attitude upsetting the squad dynamics either, it’s not a dynamic that works most of the time and is one of the things that needs to be fixed.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Well I doubt they’re joining to be first team regulars, most likely the U23’s.

The “Broja signing” we need to move on. You’d think some on here believe he’s the second coming of Jesus the way he’s being described. He was a stocky lad that had a good ten game spell mid season; but that doesn’t warrant a £30m value on his name.

He supposedly fell out with the Ralph/the club? Is it do with the nationality of the owners? Does he have an attitude problem? If any of these is a yes then I’d say we have done well to steer clear.

Plenty of other options out there, and someone that is already “tried and tested” would be the route to go down.
I live the fact we’re going for up and coming players but you need some form of experience and leadership for that to all gel together.

Personally still think we’re three or four signings short.

We are overrun with midfield options but have the worst strike force in the league how have we allowed that to happen? I don't think any club is going to fear an Adams and Armstrong duo 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We are overrun with midfield options but have the worst strike force in the league how have we allowed that to happen? I don't think any club is going to fear an Adams and Armstrong duo 

Yes, and we will be signing strikers. Chill out man! ☺️

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Is Colwill good? Ive never seen him play - would he get into our starting line-up. 

Reading that back thinking of Lyanco and Bednarek, id hope so.

Difference between Colwill and the other youngsters we have signed is that he played in the championship last season for Huddersfield and was one of their better players. Whether that makes him good enough for the premier league - only time will tell.......

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mr X said:

You can add Tella to that list now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Mr X said:

And they will of course have loads of settling in time with the team 

Good strikers are more expensive than other positions, and more in demand. That means we have to wait until later in the window for prices to drop or for players to give up on bigger clubs coming in for them.

It sucks that it disrupts the start of the season but it's just the way it is for every club our size

• Like 1

In fairness, on the striker front and the lack of signing yet, many clubs are in the same boat. 

Villa - Passively on the hunt for one knowing that Ings will probably only have one more season in him at this level. 

Brighton - Have needed a clinical striker for about 2 years

Everton - Need another option now Richarlison has left as only really have DCL

Leeds - Looking for another striker given Bamford's injury record and that Rodrigo is crap

Man United - Discontent with Ronaldo

Newcastle - Been trying to sign a marquee striker all summer as Wood/Wilson perceived not good enough for next level 

West Ham - Clearly trying to sign one as only really Antonio on the books with Broja and many others linked.

Wolves - Desperately need more firepower with Silva gone out on loan (shite anyway) and Jiminez not looking the same player post-injury. 

Suspect there will be a lot of movement come the latter part of the window and a bit of a domino effect. Not ideal for us at all. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

The “Broja signing” we need to move on. You’d think some on here believe he’s the second coming of Jesus the way he’s being described. He was a stocky lad that had a good ten game spell mid season; but that doesn’t warrant a £30m value on his name.

He supposedly fell out with the Ralph/the club? Is it do with the nationality of the owners? Does he have an attitude problem? If any of these is a yes then I’d say we have done well to steer clear.

Plenty of other options out there, and someone that is already “tried and tested” would be the route to go down.
I live the fact we’re going for up and coming players but you need some form of experience and leadership for that to all gel together.

Not sure the whole Broja Saints thing is as dead as everyone believes though. Was watching some Ralph's interview clips from pre season last night, and wondering if his wry smile and comments about striker being  the "expensive" one were about Broja - in which case nothing he said implied our interest was over - and i'm sure we have had an interest in him this summer. There has also been some recent (ITK?) comments on here saying his family would like him to come back and that Chelsea have been trying to drive up the price.

I reckon we're prepared to go to £20M or just over, so its possible (but by no means certain) that another club (say west ham) will go over that - and at which point its up to the player and Chelsea. Broja could very well decide a West Ham are a better proposition than us - right now they basically are... But still, I could see it dragging on until the end of the window and then if no one else goes in for him we'll either loan him (i hope with an option this time!!) or bring him in at a lower fee.

I still wouldn't take him for £30M. But if we can get him at nearer £20M he's probably worth the outlay for us.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Been saying all window, Ben Mee is an absolute no brainer. Wealth of PL experience, excellent player when fit, has some coaching experience and no transfer fee required. Just can't believe we still have Stephens and Lyanco on the books whilst Martin and Me were available on free transfers. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Adams and Armstrong (plus 1 other good option) is a decent enough set of strikers. Granted i'm talking about the promise of Armstrong, not what he delivered last year - but i don't want to write him off just yet!!. Our issue is our #10s don't create enough chances or possession in the final 3rd. Often its just head down running at defence and the loss of possession or running down blind alleyways.

Now it maybe that Aribo changes that somewhat. For example, there was some lovely link up play with KWP in one of the friendlies (think vs RBL) on the right that gave us an extra edge as they worked the ball between them and past a few defenders to generate chances - we lacked that last year. But i think we still need a quality #10. We'll score goals if we can just do more with the ball behind the box, and increased ball retention and pressure in those areas will also yield more free kicks for JWP (some might call those penalties 😎).

We could do worse than trying to get Ings back for circa £10m. Keep him fit and that's 15-20goals.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter11 said:

Been saying all window, Ben Mee is an absolute no brainer. Wealth of PL experience, excellent player when fit, has some coaching experience and no transfer fee required. Just can't believe we still have Stephens and Lyanco on the books whilst Martin and Me were available on free transfers. 

He's been a free agent for 3 weeks and no one has picked him up so far, so not seeing how he's a 'no-brainer', he's old, not particularly fast, got relegated and played in a Burnley team that defended deep in their box making him untested in more progressive systems.  To me he screams Championship defender. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

He's been a free agent for 3 weeks and no one has picked him up so far, so not seeing how he's a 'no-brainer', he's old, not particularly fast, got relegated and played in a Burnley team that defended deep in their box making him untested in more progressive systems.  To me he screams Championship defender. 

Ben Mee is a solid defender if you're going to play a deep defensive line (as you say), i don't think he's a championship defender though. You sign players that fit your system and where you can play to their strengths, saints won't do that with a player like Mee - He would be in all kinds of trouble with our high line and having to do with long/through balls in behind.

Edited by Saint86

6 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Adams and Armstrong (plus 1 other good option) is a decent enough set of strikers. Granted i'm talking about the promise of Armstrong, not what he delivered last year - but i don't want to write him off just yet!!. Our issue is our #10s don't create enough chances or possession in the final 3rd. Often its just head down running at defence and the loss of possession or running down blind alleyways.

Now it maybe that Aribo changes that somewhat. For example, there was some lovely link up play with KWP in one of the friendlies (think vs RBL) on the right that gave us an extra edge as they worked the ball between them and past a few defenders to generate chances - we lacked that last year. But i think we still need a quality #10. We'll score goals if we can just do more with the ball behind the box, and increased ball retention and pressure in those areas will also yield more free kicks for JWP (some might call those penalties 😎).

We could do worse than trying to get Ings back for circa £10m. Keep him fit and that's 15-20goals.

I do wonder if we are looking at a change of formation.  Our attacking options make the 4-2-2-2 a really odd choice as we don't have much quality in the front 4.  A 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2/3-4-3 would make a lot more sense given our strengths are central midfield and full back.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

In fairness, on the striker front and the lack of signing yet, many clubs are in the same boat. 

Villa - Passively on the hunt for one knowing that Ings will probably only have one more season in him at this level. 

Leeds - Looking for another striker given Bamford's injury record and that Rodrigo is crap

Newcastle - Been trying to sign a marquee striker all summer as Wood/Wilson perceived not good enough for next level 

West Ham - Clearly trying to sign one as only really Antonio on the books with Broja and many others linked.

Wolves - Desperately need more firepower with Silva gone out on loan (shite anyway) and Jiminez not looking the same player post-injury. 

Suspect there will be a lot of movement come the latter part of the window and a bit of a domino effect. Not ideal for us at all. 

Think it comes down to the way teams are playing more now, we seem set on a front 2, but most teams play a front 3, where the goals are coming from the wider forwards not the number 9. Only 6 of the top 20 scorers last season were typical strikers, the rest were wider players who get on the end of crosses and cut in (Sterling, Mane, Salah etc) and attacking midfielders playing as 10s or high 8s (De Bruyne, Maddison etc).

Our issue though, with 2 strikers on the pitch pretty much all time, is definitely an out and out striker to score goals, but a few more from the supporting players would also massively help!

24 minutes ago, Dellman said:

It was the 'supporting players' who got the goals last season. Did any team have so few from the strikers and so many from the midfield and defenders? 

Not an exact answer to your question but there are a lot of supporting players on this list

https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-premier-league-club-percentage-of-goals-scored-by-top-scorer-2021-22-ronaldo-son

3 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Not an exact answer to your question but there are a lot of supporting players on this list

https://www.football365.com/news/ranking-premier-league-club-percentage-of-goals-scored-by-top-scorer-2021-22-ronaldo-son

It is pretty telling that our main source of goals last year were free kicks, taken by a free kick specalist. Not really much teams can do to defend against those.

Can't wait to see what we have up our sleeve to improve the attack, as it really is horrendus and there's no other way of dressing it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Not sure the whole Broja Saints thing is as dead as everyone believes though. Was watching some Ralph's interview clips from pre season last night, and wondering if his wry smile and comments about striker being  the "expensive" one were about Broja - in which case nothing he said implied our interest was over - and i'm sure we have had an interest in him this summer. There has also been some recent (ITK?) comments on here saying his family would like him to come back and that Chelsea have been trying to drive up the price.

I reckon we're prepared to go to £20M or just over, so its possible (but by no means certain) that another club (say west ham) will go over that - and at which point its up to the player and Chelsea. Broja could very well decide a West Ham are a better proposition than us - right now they basically are... But still, I could see it dragging on until the end of the window and then if no one else goes in for him we'll either loan him (i hope with an option this time!!) or bring him in at a lower fee.

I still wouldn't take him for £30M. But if we can get him at nearer £20M he's probably worth the outlay for us.

No chance. Club briefed their usual channels pretty early on in the summer that they had moved on from Broja. He’s clearly West Ham’s target now and has been pushing for it himself. The price is beyond already the 20m you’re talking about and if Chelsea wanted us to up the price then we’d be mentioned in the briefings to the press but we’re not. 

Colwill we’re clearly in for although I have a hunch we’ll lose out to Palace on that one mainly because Salisu is probably in the way here and he’ll get into the Palace team quicker but hopefully I’m wrong. 

I would keep an ear out for any Harvey Vale news though. Little loan deal might be good for everyone there. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fabrice29 said:

No chance. Club briefed their usual channels pretty early on in the summer that they had moved on from Broja. He’s clearly West Ham’s target now and has been pushing for it himself. The price is beyond already the 20m you’re talking about and if Chelsea wanted us to up the price then we’d be mentioned in the briefings to the press but we’re not. 

Colwill we’re clearly in for although I have a hunch we’ll lose out to Palace on that one mainly because Salisu is probably in the way here and he’ll get into the Palace team quicker but hopefully I’m wrong. 

I would keep an ear out for any Harvey Vale news though. Little loan deal might be good for everyone there. 

I'd be surprised if he's off to Palace. Anderson and Guehi are very good and they're just about to sign another cb for £12m+. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

With the backstage team we have know do you really think they are sitting back and thinking our work is done ? Convinced we will get three or four in before the start of the season. 
We had a flurry of new players at the beginning then a break . The bedwetters are off already.

Ralph has said we have plenty of strikers on our hit list. It’s just a case of working whose the best value. Sports Republic havnt put a foot wrong can’t see them fucking up now.

watch the general interviews with Rasmus and Dragon on Facebook they are not lightweights.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

If Everton can afford him he'll go there. Strong connection with Lampard supposedly, and he'll definitely get game time with their back line. Saints need to shift some defenders out if we want to temp another youngster into that position with promises of regular football.

Edited by Saint86

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Wants £180K a week apparently 

Nottingham Forest in advanced Jesse Lingard talks after lucrative offer | Nottingham Forest | The Guardian

Seems unbelievable to me 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, manji said:

With the backstage team we have know do you really think they are sitting back and thinking our work is done ? Convinced we will get three or four in before the start of the season. 
We had a flurry of new players at the beginning then a break . The bedwetters are off already.

Ralph has said we have plenty of strikers on our hit list. It’s just a case of working whose the best value. Sports Republic havnt put a foot wrong can’t see them fucking up now.

watch the general interviews with Rasmus and Dragon on Facebook they are not lightweights.

I follow the same positivity as you, I find it confusing that some people assume we're not doing anything. I always anticipated our trip to Austira to be a quiet period for transfers as the focus is on training and team work. We'll see activity ramping up again from next week onwards in my opinion. That's not to say nothing has been happening in the background, but the lack of people at Staplewood makes it a bit harder to get stuff signed. (I believe Crocker went over to Austira too)

But like I've said, you don't need rumours to confirm things are happening. There were no rumours for Bella-Kotchap until it was pretty much done. The players with the most noise around them (Richards/Broja) are usually the ones that don't happen I find.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If Everton can afford him he'll go there. Strong connection with Lampard supposedly, and he'll definitely get game time with their back line. Saints need to shift some defenders out if we want to temp another youngster into that position with promises of regular football.

Not sure how strong the Fat Frank connection is.  New people at Chelsea and a lot of his “mates” aren’t there.

28 minutes ago, Puddings and Monkeys said:

Not sure how strong the Fat Frank connection is.  New people at Chelsea and a lot of his “mates” aren’t there.

This, and I've been told that FL is a "distant" manager who doesn't really pay much attention to the youth teams, so it's unlikely he developed much of a personal relationship with Colwill from his time as Chelsea manager.

45 minutes ago, John B said:

Yeah - he wants ridiculous money, which is why West Ham deal has stalled. They don't want to pay him that amoutn of money, which is absolutely obscene for someone who has had 6 good months in his career and now 29. 

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah - he wants ridiculous money, which is why West Ham deal has stalled. They don't want to pay him that amoutn of money, which is absolutely obscene for someone who has had 6 good months in his career and now 29. 

Can be a decent player on his day, but not for that amount. Have to wonder what United were paying him

1 hour ago, John B said:

As a full package, considering you’re getting a 15-20m+ player for nothing, it doesn’t work out to be all that bad. However, it’s the break in wage structure that’s the issue. 

It’s a shame as he probably could have his pick of clubs for anyone outside of Liverpool, Chelsea and City, if his wage demands weren’t so high. 

Badly advised is probably an understatement. 

If Forest are willing to cough up for him, then fair play, he’ll go a long way to keeping them up and they’ll have (on paper) a pretty decent side, with a very good manager.

Edited by Dman

Yeah not really sure how Forest are coming up and splashing the cash like they are. Is their owner minted? I thought they would have to spend, but I thought they'd be spending more like 5-15m rather than these players with huge wages, given they've already signed Henderson on £120k / week.

3 hours ago, Saint_lambden said:

Agree with most of this but Brighton signed Deniz Undav in January. He was loaned back to Union SG (who are essentially Brighton's sister club) and finished as top scorer in Belgian league. So I can't see them signing another striker until he's been given a chance. 

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah not really sure how Forest are coming up and splashing the cash like they are. Is their owner minted? I thought they would have to spend, but I thought they'd be spending more like 5-15m rather than these players with huge wages, given they've already signed Henderson on £120k / week.

You are what is commonly known as....A conditioned Saints fan