Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

45 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

whoscored has him as 'gets fouled often', 'commits fouls often' and the scout report in the other thread said he was mainly used as lone striker in a 4-5-1, so that involves a lot of playing with his back to goal, link up etc. so he'd have to have something about him physically to do that. Plus the scout report also mentions he is good defensively tracking back when needed and pressing from the front. The Toulon tournament video I thought showed him brushing off challenges pretty well, so overall I think he should be fine. Not expecting him to be some sort of target man but seems to have decent physical size and enough about him.

Plus if he gets fouled a lot then more JWP free kick chances! 

Fair enough, useful summary to have! And agreed, more fouls = more 25yard penalties 😅

Happy Premier League GIF by Southampton FC

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Never heard of him, but this is exactly what we do. I hadn't really heard of Bella-Kotchap either, neither Broja when we got him.

At the end of the day once upon a time Haaland was unknown, so I don't have a problem with it as long as he has the attributes we need. If he does it won't be long until he is known!

Who had heard of Ralph Hasenhüttl until he arrived and look what a super star he has turned out to be.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

#ColwillWatch

So the questions that come to mind are:

1. Are we going sign another CB? 

2. If so, having had various links to this guy and Colwill, who was truly our first choice? Have Palace beaten us to this guy or has Colwill turned them down?

Edited by goodymatt
Typo

15 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Who had heard of Ralph Hasenhüttl until he arrived and look what a super star he has turned out to be.

Ralph Hasenhuttl managed a side that finished 2nd in the Bundesliga. Anyone with even a passing interest in that competition had most likely heard of him

• Like 3

Assuming this one gets over the line I am greedy and still want one more striker and another centre back, with a loan option for full back until Tino is fit.  Very soon we are going to need to start selling some players quickly too!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Forester said:

Assuming this one gets over the line I am greedy and still want one more striker and another centre back, with a loan option for full back until Tino is fit.

Number 10/winger options remain dire.

No point stocking up on strikers if we can't create.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

No loss that IMO. Wouldn’t fit the way we play. 

What way is that? Conceding lots of goals? 😉

I wouldn’t mind someone like Mee. Out of contract, and if Brentford are in for him I can’t see that his wages would be prohibitive. Going against him though is his age, he’s 33 in September.

6 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

We must be approaching what £60 million ish spend with literally no sales. 

But the board are tight, we have no ambition, we have to sell to buy and my personal favourite...We can't afford to sack Ralph

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Kraken said:

Conceding lots of goals? 😉

I

It must be hard for the club to identify how to improve our defence considering it was so up and down last year, early-mid part of the season we were defensively solid, we just seem to have an ability to concede lots of goals in single games. 

8 clean sheets is not terrible, and then we conceded only 1 in 7 other games, but then shipped 6 v Chelsea, 4 against Leicester, Liverpool, Villa, 3 against Brentford, Wolves, Arsenal, Chelsea and Everton.  Which is 33 goals in just 9 games. 

Man City only scored once against us in 2 games and Man Utd only managed 2 goals in 2 games, we also managed clean sheets against Arsenal and West Ham, but somehow ship 3 to Brentford and 4 to Villa. 

Call me a cynic but at the back of my mind I think we might be selling Prowse or someone to offset costs.... 

How can we bring in another experienced striker without selling first? 

Unless new owners are going for it big time #noholdsbarred 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Call me a cynic but at the back of my mind I think we might be selling Prowse or someone to offset costs.... 

I wouldn't call you a cynic as it's a reasonable fear based on our club and it's history.

Call me an optimist but I think the strategy should be taken at the new owners word, i.e. the pathway. We sign these young players, play them, develop them and then sell them for a profit.  This strategy requires us to stay in the EPL, in which case we will need to keep JWP.  If the strategy works the money for this summer's investments will be be repaid with interest next summer, and so on.

• Like 2

Looks like Mara is a genuine striker so IMO we need another striker plus a Ralph #10 and thats attack done.

Then after that full back cover and if we sell any CBs then a new option there (Colwill perhaps).

Is that a bit unrealistic to expect given no obvious ways to generate any cash besides selling JWP or KWP?

If we didnt get all of those, which are the most critical? Probably striker and full back cover, although we are crying out for a better #10 than what we have - unless Aribo is considered to be that?

20 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Because most of the players we’re bringing in are seen as investments and we’re hoping to double, triple or quadruple our input into some of them over the next two or three years.

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

unless Aribo is considered to be that?

I think he is, they seem to be saying his best position is attacking-mid or playing off the right onto his left foot. 

But yes I'd still like another no.10, you'd think we would have to start shifting some squad players to afford more signings though, unless SR have given us a bigger kitty to just go spend £70-80 million without selling. 

Another striker, a new no.10 and a back up right back would be what 9 incomings and at similar price values pushing £80 million plus spend (presuming the right back is a loan for cover). 

Still need, a FB, another CB, another ST, a winger and potentially a CM.

And still need to shift on Long, Walcott, Bednarek, Djenepo.
There’s a few others you could shift into the “possibly” list including Valery, McCarthy, Vokins etc.

Edited by FarehamSaintJames

10 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

There’s a few others you could shift into the “possibly” list including Valery, McCarthy, Vokins etc.

Am I Reading this correctly?!

😄🍺

• Haha 5

34 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Well, we're not going to sign all of those so don't expect that!

I can see 3 more players. This striker from france, another attacker and a full back. Collwill is going to be dependant on one of our CB's going.

Nottingham Forest will be paying Jesse Lingard £200k per week. Absolute insanity.

They've got to be desperate to pay that for him. In my opinion the clubs scouting has failed miserably if that is the target they have to go for.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Well, we're not going to sign all of those so don't expect that!

I can see 3 more players. This striker from france, another attacker and a full back. Collwill is going to be dependant on one of our CB's going.

Not sure why I left Shane Long in there, force of habit the past couple of years 😅

Yeah, I think I agree with the above, realistically. Bednarek I think will go allowing for Colwill, but I’m sure he’d want assurances on playing time, especially having signed ABK and already having Salisu.

Full back will definitely be a loan, hopefully not Brandon Williams from United, has a bit of an attitude problem from what I’ve read. Too much money, too soon, thinks he’s better than he is etc. 😅

The attacking player/winger will be exciting when/if they turn up.

37 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nottingham Forest will be paying Jesse Lingard £200k per week. Absolute insanity.

They've got to be desperate to pay that for him. In my opinion the clubs scouting has failed miserably if that is the target they have to go for.

He’s a quality player.  Was brilliant on his West Ham loan.

Big risk, but fair play to them.

• Like 1

We definitely need a full back on loan, or cheap that’ll be happy sat on the bench for most of the season. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if someone Tinos age came in, with the plan to develop them over the next few years alongside KWP, Tino and Perraud. KWP will be sold for decent money at some point I’m sure. He is class. 

Been told Bednarek is staying now too, which maybe why the rumours seem to have disappeared. If Bednarek stays, that says to me there is a good chance that we will play 3 atb, and Stephens will leave. Can’t see Lyanco leaving,

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

If you have the money then fair play, but it’s a huge outlay for someone with no future value, ca £11m plus signing on fee. 

Is that true? Just reading it’s only a one year deal he’s going to be on, so it would be a massive outlay for someone they’ll lose next summer.

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

What way is that? Conceding lots of goals? 😉

I wouldn’t mind someone like Mee. Out of contract, and if Brentford are in for him I can’t see that his wages would be prohibitive. Going against him though is his age, he’s 33 in September.

Agreed. Not that I'm comparing them in terms of quality, but that Silva fella is still doing alright for Chelsea at 37 (38 in a few weeks). Whilst I like the principle of buying all these youngsters with (hopefully) huge sell on potential, surely the odd relatively low cost experienced head would be a sensible policy. 

• Like 2