Summer 2022 Transfer Window

mcbendy

3 hours ago, ally_uk said:

To be fair Smallbone has looked like one of the best players in preseason I think we would be silly to get rid even on a loan.. 

Agreed, it's becoming very apparent that the pathway from our Academy to first team really no longer exists but pathway from other academies to our first team is the way. Smallbone really should be in our squad for this season fighting for a place.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Agreed, it's becoming very apparent that the pathway from our Academy to first team really no longer exists but pathway from other academies to our first team is the way. Smallbone really should be in our squad for this season fighting for a place.

Only if he's considered good enough now, or considered likely to develop to that standard. If not, it's better that he gets game time in the Championship than stagnates on the fringes of our squad.

The danger is though that he goes somewhere - Stoke or QPR for example - and just becomes a bench player there. If he does it begs the question whether he's being mismanaged whilst away or perhaps isn't up to the standard. I always felt that Jack Stephens time away wasn't too beneficial to him.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I can't believe it's nearing the end of July and we've not had a link to Ainsley Maitland-Niles. Surely we can't go a whole window without one?

What we miss out in Maitland-Miles we make up in Harry Winks links. Tottenham seem really desperate to offload him to us.

I think it's fair to say Smallbone, whilst having a really unlucky run at it, has had enough chances to prove his worth as a squad player for us. It absolutely makes sense for his next move to be a Championship loan, to either gain value on his sale or prove he's good enough to step up.

35 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

We had a load of years outside of the premier league where we couldnt attract the best youngsters, which are hitting the first team picture now and have been over the previous years.  We're now beginning to bring players through who joined when we were back in the premier league, and now there is a lot more noise regarding them...Dibling, Ballard, Edwards etc

I don't think the academy is finished, I think it's just gone through a bad spell due to us being outside of the premier league for so long.  There are big hopes for some of the kids atm.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I'd take Ings back for £10 Million and not a penny more. For that price though, I'd rather sign Dembele.

Yeah, would depend on the price and I don’t think it’ll happen but, playing devils advocate, I wonder if Villa still owe us money on him. I guess possibly do a deal around that but honestly can’t see it.

34 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The one that scores goals. Mind you, I didn't think the other Mousa Dembele was a bad player. Just not really built for the PL.

The other Mousa Dembele that played for Fulham and Spurs? He was superb and the heartbeat of that Poch Tottenham team.

3 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

The other Mousa Dembele that played for Fulham and Spurs? He was superb and the heartbeat of that Poch Tottenham team.

That's the one I thought I meant but maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

32 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

We had a load of years outside of the premier league where we couldnt attract the best youngsters, which are hitting the first team picture now and have been over the previous years.  We're now beginning to bring players through who joined when we were back in the premier league, and now there is a lot more noise regarding them...Dibling, Ballard, Edwards etc

I don't think the academy is finished, I think it's just gone through a bad spell due to us being outside of the premier league for so long.  There are big hopes for some of the kids atm.

I don't think the Academy is finished either, and I didn't even hint at that. It would still have a worthwhile function even if no players graduated to the First team as regulars, young players always need somewhere to develop, a good many will at least make a decent career in the lower leagues even if not the PL, but it is clear that it is very difficult now for a home grown academy player to make it at Southampton. The three you mention, I understood Dibling has gone to Chelsea, Edwards came from Reading, so Dom Ballard is the only one that is relevant (I think he has always been with Saints). The point is though that Smallbone has been on the fringes for a while, has looked good at least at times, got good reviews for Ireland u21 during the summer and was the only bright spark against RB Leipzig? We need competition in CM and Smallbone can provide that, providing we get rid of Redmond and Djenepo (at least). Can't see how going to Stoke is really going to make him more likely to get into our 1st team, if he is not considered good enough now, then surely its better to let him go than offer him a new deal and send him out to the wastelands. Is Michael O'Neill really seen as a great coach for young players, don't get me wrong I think Michael did a brilliant job for Norn Iron, just don't see how Smallbone and Michael O'Neill are made for each other. I think also that this argument that we couldn't attract the best kids when we were out of the PL is tenuous and beginning to wear a bit thin, the only years this may have been the case were the final Lowe years which is now what 14/15 years ago, once Markus Liebherr bought us were were seen as one of the best Academies in the country until the money started talking and the likes of Chelsea and Man City started hoovering up the talent when the rules were relaxed about the geographical location of academy catchment areas. Anyway, I think its a mistake.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Snippet from me:

4 more in apparently. FB cover + Striker, and then CB and #10 depending on whether we can shift a few.  3-6 have been told they can go. Allegedly, Bednarek and Diallo have been told they're wanted by Saints. Valery also likely to stay as cover.

My guess would be Smallbone & Simeu (loan).  Walcott, Stephens, and one or two of Redmond/Djenepo/Elyounoussi. 

Broja not dead, but Chelsea dicking Saints around, and have been all summer. Broja + family still want him to come to Saints.  Time for us to move on I think.

Cheers for the update, interesting stuff. Just for clarity, is Mara 'part' of that 4 or are you considering that as a done deal and we'll actually be looking for another ST too?

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Cheers for the update, interesting stuff. Just for clarity, is Mara 'part' of that 4 or are you considering that as a done deal and we'll actually be looking for another ST too?

Hopefully the other striker is Dembele. 

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I think it's fair to say Smallbone, whilst having a really unlucky run at it, has had enough chances to prove his worth as a squad player for us. It absolutely makes sense for his next move to be a Championship loan, to either gain value on his sale or prove he's good enough to step up.

Just for balance I think we should factor in his terrible injury which set him back just when he was beginning to show promise. I wouldn't agree that he's had enough chances and we'll never know how he'd have done without the bad injury.

• Like 1

Just now, saintant said:

Just for balance I think we should factor in his terrible injury which set him back just when he was beginning to show promise. I wouldn't agree that he's had enough chances and we'll never know how he'd have done without the bad injury.

I think a loan would be a great opportunity for him. Regular game time is what he needs and he won't get it here this season in my view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

We seem to loan players out when we don't want them, rather than to get the experience needed before inserting them into our first team side. Loan Smallbone out last season and then maybe he flies into our first team this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

My understanding is no. It’s 4 excluding Mara, but might be wrong, 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Cumbria Saint said:

Any idea how fans of other teams view our transfer window so far?

I've seen some commentators generally tipping us for relegation. Typically though that's because they've not really heard of any of our players we have signed. 

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've seen some commentators generally tipping us for relegation. Typically though that's because they've not really heard of any of our players we have signed. 

To be honest there are 2 types of pundits, those that spend time and learn about whats happening v the lazy one spout platitudes etc.

I have only heard 1 guy talk about us and it was on sky sports and he was saying this is a transformational window for us, we've spent 50m which is unheard of for southampton getting lots of young and under appreciated talent into St Marys.

Was very positive.

Would be interesting to know within the club what are the initial impressions of these new players, expect there should be a bit of a buzz.

edit. This was it 

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest there are 2 types of pundits, those that spend time and learn about whats happening v the lazy one spout platitudes etc.

I have only heard 1 guy talk about us and it was on sky sports and he was saying this is a transformational window for us, we've spent 50m which is unheard of for southampton getting lots of young and under appreciated talent into St Marys.

Was very positive.

Would be interesting to know within the club what are the initial impressions of these new players, expect there should be a bit of a buzz.

edit. This was it 

I was more referring to the general football fan passing comment. From the outside it looks like we've thrown together a load of cheap options. Obviously we know better. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I was more referring to the general football fan passing comment. From the outside it looks like we've thrown together a load of cheap options. Obviously we know better. 

yeah sure I just saw the commentator one - to be honest i'm not sure if any football fans ever really discuss us, I'd be interested as well.

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Not a bad thing tbh, much prefer to be underestimated, same as in 2014 when every man and his dog were predicting relegation after we lost Poch and a load of players.

Opposite scale, seem to recall Villa last season being tipped to do very well after a period of heavy spending and that went well for them.

More than happy for us to go under the radar.

3 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Yes and No! I think it may be important for SFC to have at least one local Academy lad in and around the first team, partly for credibility reasons but also to give fans a feeling of connection which none of the new acquisitions will be able do no matter how good they are.

Smallbone seems to be the one chosen to take over from an ageing JWP and should be ready to carry the mantle when our skipper finally hangs up his slippers. He certainly has something about him. Nathan Tella is ex-Academy but not really 'one of our own'.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Yes and No! I think it may be important for SFC to have at least one local Academy lad in and around the first team, partly for credibility reasons but also to give fans a feeling of connection which none of the new acquisitions will be able do no matter how good they are.

Smallbone seems to be the one chosen to take over from an ageing JWP and should be ready to carry the mantle when our skipper finally hangs up his slippers. He certainly has something about him. Nathan Tella is ex-Academy but not really 'one of our own'.

Happy to be proven wrong but I doubt Smallbone will ever become a first choice player here for more than even a handful of games. 

Someone else might become this player you desire but does it really matter nowadays given how freely players move around and how easily young players are allowed to choose where they go. 

4 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Smallbone seems to be the one chosen to take over from an ageing JWP and should be ready to carry the mantle when our skipper finally hangs up his slippers. 

Ward-Prowse is only 27 years old, he is hardly due for retirement any time soon!

Edited by Matthew Le God

8 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Where on the pitch are we going to be stronger than last season.

I’m scratching my head to be honest.

At goalkeeper.

Im trying to remain positive but I share your concerns. The major positive I see so far is that we have a few more options for formations and resting players. Romeu looked shot later in the season playing every game so hopefully Lavia helps that, or gives us a solid 3 CM system (which we were unable to do at Liverpool and got thrashed). Aribo, Ketchup and the new lad, they may end up as starters but I’m not convinced yet they’re much better than what we had, we just have more of them now.

Edited by The Kraken

I think our best chance of getting Broja is right near the end of the window on another loan.

Seems Chelsea arent that keen to let him go permanently and I can't see Saints offering £30m given we have spent £50m already with little prospect of recouping anything.

Ive said all along that Chelsea would be mad to sell him without giving him any kind of chance. He could definitely do a good job for them off the bench considering they don't have many strikers and will have a lot of games.

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I think our best chance of getting Broja is right near the end of the window on another loan.

Seems Chelsea arent that keen to let him go permanently and I can't see Saints offering £30m given we have spent £50m already with little prospect of recouping anything.

Ive said all along that Chelsea would be mad to sell him without giving him any kind of chance. He could definitely do a good job for them off the bench considering they don't have many strikers and will have a lot of games.

Maybe he will push to go as he's seeing his options disappear 

Just now, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

That's a clever remark, but WG has a point - how do you know anyone we have signed is going to be better than we have? None of them have even played in the prem let alone proven themselves

List of players who'd never played in premier league who we've bought in current team

Salisu, Lyanco, perraud, liveramento, Diallo, s Armstrong, A Armstrong, Adams, Djnepo etc etc.

I'm not sure what people expect, our manager and owners like younger players they can develop, these guys seem to be considered top young talents and have massively improved our squad depth and if saint Garret (think thanks right) is correct we are buying potentially another 4 players.

We spend no money for 5yrs, spend money this summer and we are moaning that they are not PL proven, you can't win.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

That's a clever remark, but WG has a point - how do you know anyone we have signed is going to be better than we have? None of them have even played in the prem let alone proven themselves

Thanks, appreciate the compliment.

No one is proven until they play in it and then many prove that they can't (some of whom have been or are at our club).

How does anyone know whether they can't cut it either. 

There are a vast amount players who when given opportunity in their late teens and very early 20s prove their ability. 

I'm very hopeful that the ones we have signed this summer are some very decent prospects (and I will agree that they are only prospects right now). Its always a matter of preference but as someone who develops athletes and coaches for a living I'm probably more optimistic and trusting of the system than some. 

This game more than many others is all about timing, as in giving players the opportunity to develop, improve and perform in higher and higher levels of competition. 

I think these will be successful and having a younger group whose individual and collective mindsets are far less (if at all) affected negatively by previous poor performances will breed a different culture in the club. As long as they are successful (depending how success is defined of course)🤣

Sit back and enjoy!!!

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

List of players who'd never played in premier league who we've bought in current team

Salisu, Lyanco, perraud, liveramento, Diallo, s Armstrong, A Armstrong, Adams, Djnepo etc etc.

I'm not sure what people expect, our manager and owners like younger players they can develop, these guys seem to be considered top young talents and have massively improved our squad depth and if saint Garret (think thanks right) is correct we are buying potentially another 4 players.

We spend no money for 5yrs, spend money this summer and we are moaning that they are not PL proven, you can't win.

You’re right about squad depth.  I’m not arguing about that.  I’m talking about the first XI.

Hopefully these signings will be more Livramento than numerous others that haven’t stepped up.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Thanks, appreciate the compliment.

No one is proven until they play in it and then many prove that they can't (some of whom have been or are at our club).

How does anyone know whether they can't cut it either. 

There are a vast amount players who when given opportunity in their late teens and very early 20s prove their ability. 

I'm very hopeful that the ones we have signed this summer are some very decent prospects (and I will agree that they are only prospects right now). Its always a matter of preference but as someone who develops athletes and coaches for a living I'm probably more optimistic and trusting of the system than some. 

This game more than many others is all about timing, as in giving players the opportunity to develop, improve and perform in higher and higher levels of competition. 

I think these will be successful and having a younger group whose individual and collective mindsets are far less (if at all) affected negatively by previous poor performances will breed a different culture in the club. As long as they are successful (depending how success is defined of course)🤣

Sit back and enjoy!!!

My reply wasn't meant as a compliment as I'm sure you're aware. I'm aware of the arguments you set out (even if you take far too many words to make them). I was pointing out that Wade has a point and your remark was unnecessarily dismissive. 

43 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

If that's directed at my comment, let me be clear - I'm not moaning - pretty excited tbh. What is your point regarding current players who never played in the prem though? At least half of them are pretty woeful?